• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked Pionk's game all night long. Felt like he lost a little steam towards the end, but him getting the goal felt right.

DeAngelo seems real high risk, high reward. Some real good plays, great puck movement, but some terrible mistakes in the defensive zone as well. He definitely managed to get deep under the Islanders' skin, too. Always a plus. Named the third star in the arena (Halak was second star), and deservedly so.

Graves was pretty solid. Had a couple real bad plays that he then turned around and made great recoveries on. That sick stretch pass, tho.

So. Many. Young. Puck-moving. Defensemen. It's like a dream.

Holden was his typical self. A bunch of nightmare plays offset by some gorgeous outlet passes. He's going to need to step it up if these kids continue to acclimate to the pro game.

McDonagh basically bossed the game whenever he was on. Felt like he was constantly trying to get the kids involved rather than actually trying to win the game, though. Passed up pretty much every golden opportunity presented to him to try to get one of the young guys in on the play.

Desjardins is...not great. Boo Nieves had a pretty solid game, as did Lias Andersson who looked right at home out there (even an assist on the game winner, for what that's worth). Gabriel Fontaine felt like he was all over the place in 5-on-5. JT Miller and Rick Nash were surprisingly noticeable for vets in a first game of preseason.

Socreges

Banned
Chiarelli: "I mean, we had some luck with draft position. But you can turn things around in a relative hurry and that's what happened with us."

Holy fucking shit

Stasis

I really liked Pionk's game all night long. Felt like he lost a little steam towards the end, but him getting the goal felt right.

DeAngelo seems real high risk, high reward. Some real good plays, great puck movement, but some terrible mistakes in the defensive zone as well. He definitely managed to get deep under the Islanders' skin, too. Always a plus. Named the third star in the arena (Halak was second star), and deservedly so.

Graves was pretty solid. Had a couple real bad plays that he then turned around and made great recoveries on. That sick stretch pass, tho.

So. Many. Young. Puck-moving. Defensemen. It's like a dream.

Holden was his typical self. A bunch of nightmare plays offset by some gorgeous outlet passes. He's going to need to step it up if these kids continue to acclimate to the pro game.

McDonagh basically bossed the game whenever he was on. Felt like he was constantly trying to get the kids involved rather than actually trying to win the game, though. Passed up pretty much every golden opportunity presented to him to try to get one of the young guys in on the play.

Desjardins is...not great. Boo Nieves had a pretty solid game, as did Lias Andersson who looked right at home out there (even an assist on the game winner, for what that's worth). Gabriel Fontaine felt like he was all over the place in 5-on-5. JT Miller and Rick Nash were surprisingly noticeable for vets in a first game of preseason.

Yep, particularly impressed with young Defense and how very quickly that whole facet of the organization changed. Regardless of how it all plays out it's still very fun to see them address the need and make the appropriate moves this quickly. Sather to Gorton has been a pretty big shift. Now if they can all develop into serviceable guys that's great, but which one gets moved for a C? =)

Lmao Jets with Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Byfuglien, and Perrault lost to the Wild led by Coyle, Ennis, Foligno, and Ryan Malone on a PTO.

Winnipeg Jest, indeed.

Erdrick

Lmao Jets with Wheeler, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Byfuglien, and Perrault lost to the Wild led by Coyle, Ennis, Foligno, and Ryan Malone on a PTO.

Winnipeg Jest, indeed.

In a shootout. That's not a good indication of the entire teams play. You neglect to mention that we had basically only 2 of our NHL regular defencemen.

We'll see what happens once the regular season starts.

Ondor

Banned
This just in. Kings had to have the air cleared to practice on ice. Said they were in China and didn't need anything to make them feel like home.

Avs went undefeated in the preseason last year

Yeah

Yeah I'll never understand people putting stock into the results of preseason games, in any sport. They're basically practices against other teams.

When the Manning led Colts were fucking dominant in the NFL they would regularly go 0-4 in the preseason.

Preseason is also way too long. Should be like half the length.

Cake Boss

Banned
DKFx5BzWkAA8--1.jpg

giphy.webp

calder

Hey, that was a decently entertaining exhibition game! Instead of getting bored midway through the first period I watched most of it, that's rare. Maybe this is a sign that training camp won't be ungodly long thi- OH MY GOD THERE'S *6* MORE FUCKING EXHIBITION GAMES?!?!

Yeah wake me up in October ffs. Every damn year I do this.

imBask

Banned
Dreger said on TSN radio that Sakic doesn't call GMs back when he says he'll take a moment to think about offers for Duchene and it's pissing people off

”But the frustration from some general managers who have been active in the ongoing back and forth is Sakic will accept the offer in terms of, ‘Okay, I understand what you're willing to do here,' and then say, ‘Give me a week, give me a couple of days' or whatever it is, and then he doesn't get back to them. At least that was the case in the off-season. You have to believe that it's changing now and he's approaching this with more urgency.

Marvie_3

Banned
Dreger said on TSN radio that Sakic doesn't call GMs back when he says he'll take a moment to think about offers for Duchene and it's pissing people off
Well a guy that isnt smart enough to keep his hand out of a snowblower probably isnt smart enough to remember to call someone back.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers lineup tomorrow against the Devils:

Kreider-Andersson-Gropp
Puempel-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Chytil-Tambellini
Catenacci-Desharnais-Desjardins

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Pedrie-Smith
Staal-Gilmour

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Looks like Andersson and Desjardins are the only repeats from game 1. Andersson presumably to see more of what he can do, and Desjardins to see him on the wing after he played the first game (poorly) at center. Mostly excited to see what Chytil can do, as well as a couple of those young defensemen. Also, the novelty of Shattenkirk in blue.

Also 5 cuts today, all players who didn't play last night. Ty Ronning and Tim Gettinger were sent back to their junior teams, while Robin Kovacs, Brenden Kotyk, and Adam Chapie were sent to the Wolf Pack. Kovacs seems to be shaping out to be a pretty big disappointment. He had an unimpressive season last year, and it looks like he didn't manage to catch anybody's attention in camp.

Delryk

I heard Simmons talking about that...but then again it's Simmons. If he's the source of that allegation, it's about as reliable as the Kessel hot-dog story.

Then again, there have always been party rumors swirling around Lupul, so where there's smoke....

Atleast Robidas is working with the team dev. to help out prospects and has accepted his fate. Lupul should be doing the same before he gets what's left of him broken even more.

Top Bottom