• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

le-seb

Though I suspect that, if you go 36+% fat, even unfermented cream can settle, if homogenised sufficiently. Though at that point it's basically a very dense whipped cream.
Indeed. Continue whipping it long enough to get butter.

Cream is cream, though, pasteurized or not.
Anything named 'cream' with less than 30% fat is just a bad joke, and the main reason why food industry needs to add all kind of thickeners to make it look like regular cream.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Hello irongaf, time to post again..

Today I bought a pot set. Aldi in Germany has a 3 pots pot set starting Monday and because I go there like once or twice a week I know the people who work there and got it earlier.
It's this one https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebot...43-mo/ps/p/crofton-topfset-3-teilig-20161024/ cheap, not as good as my Staub or the one little fissler pot I own but way better than the cheap 5€ pot I had until now. Actually I quite like them and tomorrow I'll make an Italian bean soup in one of them. One day I'll buy the pots of my dreams but until then I'm stoked to have these now.
kw4316_mo_12_da.jpg

Daffy Duck

What are your guys go to chilli recipes?

Me and my GF want to make our own as we're disappointed with the sauces and packets we buy in the supermarket, got a slow cooker of that helps things along.

Not bothered about heat I love hot stuff and my GF is getting to like hotter food.

What are your guys go to chilli recipes?

Me and my GF want to make our own as we're disappointed with the sauces and packets we buy in the supermarket, got a slow cooker of that helps things along.

Not bothered about heat I love hot stuff and my GF is getting to like hotter food.

My own personal chili recipe

2lbs Ground beef
1-2 Jalepeno sliced
1 large can tomato sauce 28oz
1 large can crushed tomatoes 28oz
2 cans black beans (with the juice there packed in)
2 cans red beans (with the juice there packed in)
1 large yellow onion diced
1 large red onion diced
Half clove crushed garlic or a couple tablespoons garlic powder

McCormick Hot Chili packet
McCormick Medium Chili packet
La Tiara Taco seasoning packet
1-2 tablespoons of sugar (cuts down on the acidity)
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry up the hamburger with half the white and red diced onions and the jalepeno till cooked. (I cook the hamberger till its fine like taco meat would be, but I leave a 1/3 of it larger chunks for the texture)
In a large stockpot throw the fried hamberger/onion/jalepeno mix in it.
Then thrown everything else in and mix it up real good. (Save some of the diced red onion to throw on top of the chili after the chili is done!)
Bring to a boil and then bring the temp back down to a low simmer.
Simmer covered for 2-3 hours,stirring every 30 mins.

The longer you cook it the thicker it becomes so if you like soupy chili stop cooking it after an hour and a half. I prefer a bit thicker so I go at least two and a half hours. I top mine with sour cream,diced red onion,and cheddar cheese(any cheese will work). Also I usually cook this in triple batches so the cooking times may be a bit shorter if doing a single batch. When its all said and done the beans will be nice and tender and the chili will be a dark burgundy color.

I do similar, but I don't use the seasoning packets. I use chili powder, garlic, a seasoning salt (beau monde, cajun, or texan), and you can use cayenne if you want to. You should always use at least one to two hot peppers that are fresh. Dried herbs will never give it a kick it needs.

I also add a huge can of tomato juice. It'll thicken up just fine and make it into a hearty soup rather than a chucky bean dip.

If you're cooking it in a crock pot, you'll only need about three to four cans of beans. I usually do one white bean and the rest kidney. And don't stir it or lift the lid. Keep it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 depending on the thickness you want.

I actually have a pot of chili in my crockpot now. My recipe's really basic though.

1lb ground beef
1 can of dark red kidney beans
8oz can of tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
Half a yellow onion
Half red bell pepper
1 packet of the hot chili seasoning mix

2.5 hours on high, 7 hours on low

Mine is

28oz of crushed tomotaes
12oz of tomato sauce
1lb of ground beef
1lb of hot italian sausage
one of those small cans of diced peppers
2 poblano
2 medium onions
garlic
hot sauce
vinegar
brown sugar
Worcestershire
paprika
1/3 c of chili power
Cayenne pepper
salt pepper
1 can of beer (like to use a super malty beer, Oktoberfest styles work the best)

Let that sucker coook 8 hours in the crock pot then thicken with some corn starch towards the end

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sunday Leftovers Experiment

I had a batch of chili in the fridge from early in the week.

I had a gang of chorizo hash browns I made for breakfast yesterday.

Mexico has shepherds. I added some heavy cream, mashed the Chorizo taters. And I just popped this in the oven. I'll update when it's cooked. But it needs a name, so I'm gonna butcher the language.

Mexican Shepherd's Pie
Pastel de Pastor?
Tarta de Pastor?

PR2fMkO.jpg

Surely you guys would want to try presidential chili.
chili.jpg

There's also plenty of recipes on Serious Eats.

I like my chili simple, so personally, I just fry up onions and garlic, fry some cumin, paprika, cayenne, then add 500g ground beef, a 400g tin of tomatoes, a further 500g of cubed rump steak, a couple of whole chillies, then water to cover. I stir occasionally, and taste it at that time, adding more of the above spices to taste. An couple of hours later I'll add 1kg of beans that had been soaked overnight.

zbarron

I like my wife's recipe for quick chili. It's fast, easy and tasty, but it's not fancy nor will it win you awards in a cookoff.

All she puts in is:
Ground Beef
Kidney Beans
Tomato Juice (the kind people drink sold in bottles and cans)
McCormick's Chili Seasoning packet

You just brown the meat, add the seasoning, stir, add drained beans, add juice and simmer for 30 minutes and you're done. Sometimes we'll do it up a little fancier by sweating some onion, garlic and peppers in olive oil after you brown the meat and blooming the spiced in the hot oil before adding the juice.

Usually chili is one meal we prefer simple and easy like how we're more likely to make Kraft Mac N Cheese than a real one.

Edit: I forgot to share my stash of ready to heat and serve soups.
30486010766_aa02e16baf_b.jpg

I also had a deli quart container or the split pea I made. It's nice to have these tasty, healthy ready to eat meals on hand when we want quick dinners.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hosted another party for the local bartenders and bouncers. Made double bacon and cheeseburger sliders, hand cut sweet potato wedges, and deep fried strawberry and peanut butter chocolate OREO cookies. Only photos of the last two though.

First time I have ever tried deep frying anything. Was easier (and less scary) than I anticipated.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Deep Frying is indeed a great and easy way of preparing delicious stuff :)

My plan for today on the breakfast table was "let's have some yoghurt and bananas for a light dinner."
dinner actually was:

Gyros with Metaxa sauce and fries.

Since that plan worked out so well, my next plan is not buying a new car until years end.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great for deep frying (change the oil after that, tough): Fish and chips, preferably from cod or haddock, with a thick and crispy beer batter. :)

zbarron

Seeing as I have a pot of oil sitting there now, I think I'll try fried chicken next.
That's my problem, if you can call it theat, with deep frying. Unlike other cooking methods I never do one deep frying and stop. Since the oil is there I usually deep fry a ton of stuff for a couple days.
Great for deep frying (change the oil after that, tough): Fish and chips, preferably from cod or haddock, with a thick and crispy beer batter. :)
Agreed. Battered items will ruin your oil faster, while simple things like french fries won't affect it much.

I forgot to take pics during the make but I made these skewers this weekend after messing around with a recipe I had for Turkey Meatballs.

From Lunch:
14705812_10206972429095262_1118733552864519554_n.jpg

Recipe:

1lb ground turkey or lamb
1 small yellow onion (grated)
3 cloves of garlic (mined)
1/4 cu Dried Bread Crumbs
1 large egg
2 tbls of plain yogurt
1/4 cu Chopped Fresh Parsley
1/4 cu shredded Parmesan/romano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp paprika

sauce
1 cu plain yogurt
2 tbls sriracha
1 tbls soy sauce
2 tsp yellow curry power
1 tsp dried mustard

Mix together all of the dry ingredients of the meatballs first, then mix in the parsely, egg and yogurt.
Add the lamb/turkey to this mixture and nead together until totally combined. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

I used a tablespoon to get the perfect meatball size. (made about 36 meatballs)
Brush some olive oil on bamboo skewers.
Place 6 meatballs on each skewers so they are just barley touching.

Pre Heat over to 300 degrees

Lay skewers on a piece of wax paper on a baking sheet. These can be grilled as well but they can fall apart on a grate so consider using tin foil.

Combine and whisk all the sauce ingredients. Brush the sauce on the skewers, turning them once to full cover.

I baked these for about 20 minutes at 300

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
both the kebabs and the chicken look delicious, thanks for sharing!

I'll be out of the loop until sunday because of a juice detox which I wanted to try out. Keep sharing, people!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Good luck with that. Tonight I'll be eating a boned out pig filled with boned out quails, fois gras and truffles.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
It seems like it. Come on OnkelC quit getting banned.

Did they debone that whole pig, minus the head?

Damnit, Onkel!

Yes! and the ducks stuffed in the suckling pig, and the quail stuffed in the ducks. The minced meat and the fois gras stuffed in the quail didn't need to be deboned.

Nikodemos

I thought roti sans pareil variants were supposed to be a Thanksgiving treat.

Still, props for using the rather underrated suckling pig.

I performed an experiment today, and oddly enough it worked. I added star anise to cevapcici meat, as per the old-time recipe (I didn't use the exact meat composition, however) and it does 'lift' the final product. I cut the anise with allspice, though; I was afraid the aroma would be too sweet if the specified amount was used.

Next time, however, I'll try going 'heavy' with herbs like oregano or rosemary.

zbarron

The soup of the day is Vegan Black Bean and Squash Chili
30714797065_8122bbca9d_b.jpg

I've gotten so used to mild chili over the years I wasn't expecting it to have a kick to it which was a pleasant surprise.

Yesterday I made my first soup this season that was just awful. It was Italian wedding soup and I made two mistakes. In the ingredients it calls for 3 cloves of garlic which I doubled to 6 since I was making a double batch. I didn't read that 1 of those 3 was supposed to go in the meatballs. I also used a big head of garlic and each bulb was about twice the size of normal and I didn't adjust. This led to having the equivalent of 12 bulbs of microplaned garlic in the stock.

It was the most garlicky thing I've ever had. It destroyed my long held belief that there was no such thing as too much garlic. We were able to dilute the broth to make it good. My wife took it in to work yesterday for a Halloween potluck and it got rave reviews.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, my 30th birthday was on halloween
like every year duuuh

In a little Village a japanese Woman bought a vineyard 10 years ago and now she makes vine and has a restaurant.

entrance
zv98qkz.jpg

interior
2AmfiHu.jpg

zrOH7mH.jpg

my food.. first course; five mini dishes.
0dXRm6Q.jpg

third course; chicken teriyaki
D1EylvO.jpg

last course; sashimi
dzMrmz2.jpg

aaand a matcha-presso
MXXr4n7.jpg

it was amazing. sorry for the large pictures but eh. we're a picture heavy community :D
here is the link to the restaurant/vineyard https://www.josef-biffar.de

theapg

Quick question: I just roasted a pork tenderloin but am only going to eat half. When I save the rest would it be better to cut it or leave it whole? Thanks in advance.

Quick question: I just roasted a pork tenderloin but am only going to eat half. When I save the rest would it be better to cut it or leave it whole? Thanks in advance.

If you plan to eat the remaining portion in one sitting, then leave it whole. If you want to divide it out for more meals, then cut it up. The larger the piece, the more moist it stays when reheating it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hello all. back with a sample of pulled pork, pastrami and cheesesteak. The owner of this place was one of the burger pioneers in cologne and now tried his hands on this stuff.

to be honest, the wife and I weren't overly impressed.

snacknuts

we all knew her
hello all. back with a sample of pulled pork, pastrami and cheesesteak. The owner of this place was one of the burger pioneers in cologne and now tried his hands on this stuff.

to be honest, the wife and I weren't overly impressed.

That's really too bad, because everything looks like it should taste great.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The wife and I tried out an example of a "third wave" burger place for lunch today:

nice, but nothing to write home about.
Saturdays dinner was a big bowl of Käsespätzle, which rocked...
IMG_1988.jpg

snacknuts

we all knew her
Tried making gnocchi for the first time last night and it was basically an unmitigated disaster. The recipe I had was too light on details and my interpretation of the info that was there was clearly off the mark. Oh well! We learn by failing and next time will be better.

snacknuts

we all knew her
what happened? did they disintegrate while boiling them?

After I made that post I ended up reading a detailed gnocchi recipe at Serious Eats and learned that I made pretty much every mistake they warn against. I mashed the potatoes instead of using something like a potato ricer. I overworked the dough by a LOT, so it was pretty gummy and unpleasant. I cut the pieces too big and probably overcooked them, so they were giant gummy balls of dough that didn't have any potato flavor. Lesson learned!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh baby.

I'm a sucker for turkish food right now, might be the cold weather :D. Near my mothers new flat is a turkish supermarket and they make their own sucuk sausage. Really good stuff.
I also just got the family recipe for köfte from my fathers best friends mother. Can't wait to try it on friday.

between trying out different kinds of turkish food, I cook japanese stuff or italien noodle dishes.

GjsHGE6l.jpg

good stuff.

Anyone here know of a good turkey brine recipie? I got turkey duty this Thanksgiving and am buying a couple of fresh turkeys,figured I give brining a try..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
quiche lorraine with Gruyère cheese and schwarzwaelder speck (black forst ham/bacon)

IMdLXoo.jpg

home made shortcrust pastry made with 2/5 lard and 3/5 butter.

But I'm not allowed to eat it :/..it's for tomorrow ;_;

Top Bottom