• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possibly the most important video about Warframe at the moment

Z3M0G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHio59BW54M

While it is titled and primarily a Plains of Eidolon Review, it is much much more than that IMO and says a lot about Warframe as a whole.

No matter how you feel about Warframe, if you played it forever, tried and gave up quickly, or never touched it... you really should watch this video.

The closing points he made speak volumes... and as someone who played casually in the early PS4 days, and tried (and failed) to return multiple times since then, his closing points really hit home... It's time to STOP adding new gameplay systems and content to the game, and spend a solid year refining it!

Edit: Sorry, the vid is a month old so probably posted somewhere... but I honestly feel it is thread worthy.

Vic20

Yeah, warframe is definitely patch work of somewhat baked ideas. It certainly could use a period of polishing, not expansion.

Shifty

Totally agree with his points. I got into Warframe a couple of months back, ended up dunking 120 hours into it and burning out just after Plains of Eidolon came out. The game is great fun, but there's definitely a ton of untapped potential there that could be realised with some polish.

Take close-quarters combat as an example. The game has a fancy 'Melee 2.0' system that grants you a full moveset when two-handing a weapon, but doesn't differentiate it enough from the quick melee button to make using it worthwhile.

The core system is pretty robust- you can branch between combos DMC-style by pausing, holding a direction or hitting an alternate button, but not a single one of those moves will set you up for a sweet air juggle or a wallsplat. It's all just variations on 'apply damage and maybe proc an element or knockdown'. Why bother when using quick melee will give me similar damage output with the ability to wield a grenade launcher at the same time?

They keep adding new stuff like archwing combat, operator stuff, focus trees, and so on, but none of those seem worth putting much effort into given how little they're used relative to the core mechanics. And even if they were, there's something to be said for refining your core concept instead of diluting it with extra gimmicks.

The game is still worth playing- I wouldn't have spent so long with it otherwise, but it could be so much better.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Will watch, Warframe is a stellar f2p game. I have about 8 days sunk into it and still enjoy it.

Looking forward to this perspective.

Btw, plains runs pretty cruddy on a pro.

EBE

I don't even use my operator or the focus system. Arch wing is awful. No one plays it and there's no reason to.

qazqaNii

I agree with this guy, I am a "veteran myself" having over 1500 hours clocked on the game showing on steam, mr20, I was around when coptering was still a thing, when you could buy T4C keys from the syndicates in bulk, when draco was the king of affinity etc.

Anyways I was hyped when POE was announced, open world? What could go wrong I thought and when it was released I was kinda bummed out that it was an instance on a bigger map, would've been great if there was atleast 2-3 squads you sometimes saw on the fields but that wasnt the case, and my first impression was that this was the hype to attract more players and advertising this would make the newer plays want to jump straight into PoE which obviously isn't really the core gameplay and quite hard gameplay during nighttime. A friend of mine wanted to play, I said sure go ahead its a quite fun game, he quit saying he was overwhelmed, no tutorials etc. I had to agree, sure I could play with him but that would only make him more confused when I killed everything solo.

The focus system, operator is all kinds of boring shit, I just got the energizing dash for free energy and gave up on it.

Obtaining new frames from quests are quite the grind, however the primed versions seems easier to acquire for free, atleast for me.

Archwing... Never cared back when it was first released and it looks like it still is only played for the affinity for MRs, the movement imo for me is so awkward when using arch wing.

Seems like I am bashing the game quite alot but I loved it, as I said 1500+ hours and counting is not a game u hate on, the best thing is its actually FREE TO PLAY, sure it might be hard at the beginning to see how its free to play but once u start farming primed frames you will make gold in no time. Imo a better tutorial system for the beginners has to be made a handholding till they are mr4-5 or something so they understand atleast some stuff, like putting mods on the frames, weapons etc.

EBE

I loathe the storytelling. Who is Konzu and what is the plague star? Why should I care?

I don't wanna read your shitty codex
Just tell me like one or two things about these things, DE, please.

Shifty

I loathe the storytelling. Who is Konzu and what is the plague star? Why should I care?

I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

I did enjoy the presentation of the front-facing lore when I played it (vor's prize, second dream, war within), but in terms of substance everything did ultimately lead to "it's unknown and mysteeeeerious because we haven't finishing writing it yet" after a few wiki dives.
That form of writing works to a certain extent, but the veil of mystery starts looking more and more like a cardboard cutout the longer you scrutinize it.

DonF

SkillUp is a great YouTube channel. While you are at it, take a look at his destiny related videos and the new ones, related to lootboxes and battlefront. Lengthy but very good.

atpbx

I dont care so long as he has a gun for me after i have finished what he has asked me to do.

If he doesnt have a gun, he can, in the words of Abraham Lincoln “go fuck himself”

Revo_zero

SkillUp is a great YouTube channel. While you are at it, take a look at his destiny related videos and the new ones, related to lootboxes and battlefront. Lengthy but very good.

His NieR Automata review was stellar too (speaking from his perspective as someone who initially brushed it off as something he'd never play)

Top Bottom