• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 The International 2017 (Aug 7-12) Game of throwns - you win or you pld

Sibylus

Banned
I'll certainly rewatch this TI
beg.gif

KraytarJ

I just want to point out liquid won their series 2-1, 2-0, 2-1, 2-0, 2-1, 3-0 in that order, they lost one game in a series then swept the next one for their entire LB run.

I'll certainly rewatch this TI
beg.gif

they were plenty of matches worth rewatching several times.

the GF matches weren't really among them but that's just how it goes sometimes. Just about all of Liquid's other series' are worth downloading.

And if you're interested in learning/getting better, all of them including (maybe especially) the GF matches are mandatory. Shit was clinical.

Sibylus

Banned
they were plenty of matches worth rewatching many times.

the GF matches weren't really among them but that's just how it goes sometimes. Just about all of Liquid's other series' are worth downloading.

And if you're interested in learning/getting better, all of them including (maybe especially) the GF matches are mandatory. Shit was clinical.

I'll rewatch the GF games also, speaking as a TL fan and a fan of clinical, but tense games. Not like the GF one year where it was lopsided, short deathpush game one after another.

Cvie

I think they're going to nerf aftershock and/or enchant totem. ES is too good in all lanes at all stages.

i think they'll nerf both for sure

also darkness vision reduction and or duration needs nerfing

caustic slight nerf maybe

Nyx needs some cooldown nerfs imo

Sven gods strenght toned down a little

Bristle passive nerf

NP treant nerf

Kotl aghs toned down a little

Everything after TL leaving the main stage felt so unnecessary. I thought they were killing time to some presentation or interview or something. Instead it just fizzled out with them getting on a limo. Like, if that's all you're going to show, don't show it.

3-0 is great for TL and holy crap, I am so happy for them. I don't play but watched every single main stage series except for a particularly late night one. If I had just tuned in for the last series, the grand finals, I would have been underwhelmed for sure. The real story that made this TI as a whole so great was actually seeing them climb all the way back along the LB.

Feels like the TL LFY game was the real test for Liquid and then the Newbee series was them showcasing all they had learned from the matches prior. I'm glad I could commit to watching as many matches as I had.

Day9 was a good host. As much as I love him and his YT series with Purge, I did feel like he was a few months too early out of the dota incubation pod so to speak. This time next year, should it still be him, we might just have a 3.5k mmr Day9 at the helm!

But seriously, sort out the post-trophy footage. Woof. Even that compilation at the end was awful!

Hylian7

Overall it was a good grand final. I don't think it topped TI5 or TI6, but still good. Game 2 and 3 in particular where entertaining to watch. Congrats to Liquid!

I'll probably do a more detailed write up of my trip tomorrow.

Chris R

Wonder if they will tweak shrines being available after 1 T3? Maybe two T3 or one barracks required to open up comeback opportunity for the team down early?

shira

Overall it was a good grand final. I don't think it topped TI5 or TI6, but still good. Game 2 and 3 in particular where entertaining to watch. Congrats to Liquid!

I'll probably do a more detailed write up of my trip tomorrow.
Please make a note of hats acquired.

I like that part best.

Hylian7

Wonder if they will tweak shrines being available after 1 T3? Maybe two T3 or one barracks required to open up comeback opportunity for the team down early?
Yeah I think something might get done about that.

Of course everyone expects the top P/B heroes to get hit with the nerf bat. I am curious what will happen to Io in particular. He was consistently banned in the main event and I don't think he got picked once. I didn't get to watch as much of the group stages as I would have liked because work got crazy sometimes during it.

As for the unpicked heroes, I expect Bane to get something. Spectre may not need much if anything if the other nerf/changes make her ult timings viable.

Qvoth

Just woke up, grats liquid, but 3-0ing newbee? Shieeeeeet
Felt kinda bad for newbee, they seem to be a good bunch of lads
China need to have a good drafting captain or coach
I guess the TI odd/even year is something that will never be broken

Hylian7

Just woke up, grats liquid, but 3-0ing newbee? Shieeeeeet
Felt kinda bad for newbee, they seem to be a good bunch of lads
China need to have a good drafting captain or coach
I guess the TI odd/even year is something that will never be broken
3-0 GF is a first though.

Next year is China's year I guess.

Eleuin

Of course everyone expects the top P/B heroes to get hit with the nerf bat. I am curious what will happen to Io in particular. He was consistently banned in the main event and I don't think he got picked once. I didn't get to watch as much of the group stages as I would have liked because work got crazy sometimes during it.

Isn't that just because Chinese teams are notoriously uncomfortable with the hero?

Hylian7

So they didn't show gameplay for the ccg? Pretty surprised even though I know Valve likes to be special.

I'm not surprised, if they had it, they would have shown it with the trailer the other night. I think they either just wanted to say "Hey, we're working on this but it isn't ready to show yet." or they just didn't want to dilute from TI and just acknowledge that it exists.

Mali recounts Liquid after TI6

http://bit.ly/2uyw9qy

Nice read if you wanna know the context for this year's teamgoals

Ummm this leads me to wikipedia about this

Itasha
An itasha in Xiamen, China featuring Nia from Gurren Lagann on the hood
An itasha in Tokyo, Japan featuring Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura on the body

Itasha (痛車, literally "painful car") is a Japanese term for a fashion of individuals decorating the bodies of their cars with fictional characters of anime, manga, or video games (especially bishōjo games or eroge). These characters are predominantly "cute" females. The decorations usually involve paint schemes and stickers. Automobiles are called itasha, while similar motorcycles and bicycles are called itansha (痛単車) and itachari (痛チャリ), respectively.

The cars are seen prominently in places such as Akihabara (Tokyo), Nipponbashi (Osaka), or Ōsu (Nagoya).

traveler

Not Wario
Just got back to my room from the arena.

Yeah, worst finals just edging out TI4, but props to Liquid. They put up hard today. I still leave the tourney more impressed by LFY and I think were it to be simulated with these teams a 100 times over, they'd be the favorite more often than not, but Liquid played well when it counted and no one can say they didn't deserve it.

Re:update timing- the ingame hero models were displayed on stage during the preview in what looked like fairly finished forms. We also have ability strings for Sylph in prior patches, so I don't think it's that far away. Definitely would put it this year over 2018.

I wish the crimson witness items had the first blood and teams recorded on it like the old ones. I got a treasure for the very last first blood of the tourney- game 3 of the grand finals today.

Naah, not really �� Watched at least 100x more dotes more than u

I don't think this being the worst finals is going to be that controversial an opinion. There's only 7 of them, and TI4 is really the only comparable one. I haven't watched a ton of dota, but I've seen every international, including 3 in person, and every game of this tourney including groups and I'd also put it there.

Hylian7

maybe it was a main event slide. I'm not sure. But yea, Tiny, Spectre, Techies and a couple others were pictured.

yea that was it.

Well, Techies is not in CM right now.

I honestly don't know why really, he doesn't seem incredibly broken. If anything hes kind of weak right now, isn't he?

Top Bottom