• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Best Game by Rare?

Zero83

Apart from the X360 HD port of Perfect Dark, I haven't played any of their N64 games since around 2000. Oh, last year I bought DK64 on VC, which I found barely playable and an absolute pain to play.

I bought Blast Corps, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini, and loved them all. Bond was spectacular at the time, and PD even more so. Single player DKR was great I suppose, but multiplayer sucked compared to MK64, and MP is why I'd play a kart racer.

After the Microsoft buyout I only played PD Zero (but not the MP), and it was the worst sequel imaginable. Such a drop in quality:( At least PD got some great successors in TimeSplitters.

The DKC games were amazing and Diddy's Kong Quest is the standout one.

So DKC2 and Perfect Dark HD (which isn't Rare, I know) for me.

I don't think I can pick one fave. I played and enjoyed a good number of them, even Starfox Adventures...which I must say looked absolutely stunning on GC. My word at the water effect when I first saw it.

chemicals

Too many to give a quick answer. Think about it. DKCountry (SNES) but really I love RC Pro Am. I also have a thing for Blast Corps. And then on the flipside the Viva Pinata games are brilliant.. and I am not ashamed to say that I love Kameo. Brilliant stuff.

8J75DmW.gif

DKC2

5vTGRok.png

Banjo-Kazooie

BkBBANy.jpg

Perfect Dark

1upsuper

I always wanted to like the DKC games -- they have fantastic OSTs and a unique aesthetic -- but the Euro-styled platforming sensibilities never thrilled me. I beat DKC1 and enjoyed it but I never beat 2 or 3. I quite enjoyed Returns, however.

lumzi23

I think I have only played GoldenEye, Killer Instinct and Banjo Kazooie (maybe some Kameo and Viva Pinata).

My selection is GoldenEye.

It's not one of my top Rare games but it's still quite underrated.

I'm surprised at the degree of favouritism of N64 Rare over NES Rare in this thread. Their N64 games don't hold up as well (poor frame rate, ugly blurry graphics, clunky controls).

I wasn't being 100% serious but, i remember playing the shit out of that game when I was a youngster. I only recently learned it was made by RARE

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm not the biggest rare fan but I love GRABBED BY THE GHOULIES. Such and underrated gen. It's so charming, just simple arcade fun wrapped in an incredible presentation.

jett

D-Member
Battletoads is my favorite. That game is oozing creativity when it comes to level design. The DKC games are cool too. Of their N64 output I only really like Blast Corps to be honest.

jetsetrez

Kameo, Starfox Adventures, and Viva Pinata hold up the best imo.

GoldenEye at the time was a revelation, but it and most of their work N64 and prior don't hold up.

Msyjsm

I'm really surprised by all the Star Fox Adventures mentions in this thread. I thought that game is normally despised?

Yeah, sorry, but I'd really like a way to tag people who are marking that as their favorite so I can disregard their opinions in the future, as theirs clearly do not align with mine at all.

That game looked great graphically but was extremely boring, and I played it at release...but honestly it's been so long that I can't expand any further than that. And there's no way in hell I'm replaying it.

Banjo-Kazooie by far. DKC series and Diddy Kong Racing are close seconds. Their work in the last decade is also criminally underrated. No other dev has as diverse a catalogue as Rare did during the 360 gen.

Killer Instinct arcade for me. I probably paid the price of buying my own cabinet before getting good enough to body most local competition. Close second would be Battletoads for NES. Dat pause music.

kungfuian

Jet Force Gemini is amazing. It's my favorite Rare game by a mile. The Art, the music (wow at the music), and such a great mix of platforming and shooting. Not enough love in this thread. Way under rated!

Banjo is a close second, so charming, best Mario game on the N64

1. Conker's Bad Fur Day
2. Perfect Dark / Goldeneye
3. Banjo-Kazooie / Banjo-Tooie
4. Diddy Kong Racing
5. Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
6. Jet Force Gemini
7. Viva Pinata
8. Nuts and Bolts
9. Donkey Kong 64
10. Blast Corps

I've only played dk64 and conker so far and of the two it's definitely conker. The game is fun all of the way through without resorting to an excessive focus on collectibles like some games. Also I loved the ending so much

CaLe

Golden eye or Banjo Kazooie ? Maybe Perfect dark.

So many good games... it defined my childhood. I miss Rare :(

daTRUballin

Rare games with the most underrated soundtracks:

Donkey Kong 64
Mickey's Speedway USA

Hell, even Perfect Dark Zero had some decent tracks, believe it or not. The soundtrack is almost entirely forgettable though. Doesn't compare to the original Perfect Dark's soundtrack at all. Or even Goldeneye's. Why didn't Grant Kirkhope just do the soundtrack for PDZ? Always puzzles me.

Frigid Muffin

Neo Member
I could list 10 Rare games to compete for number 1 in my heart, easily.

But, I have to say that Starfox Adventures holds an even more special place. Something about it.. it just has a certain charm to it that has stuck with me since. Whenever I replay it, I get all excited and feel like a kid again. Some of the music just brings me back to good times in my life. I mean, fuck.. just listen to this shit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2v4Z3wZr74

Drain You

Real answer is Donkey Kong Country 3

...but after reading the OP I really want to replay Star Fox Adventures, I really really enjoyed it back in the day. Funnily enough I can never force myself through a Zelda game even though I've tried so many times.

Archtreyz

Real answer is Donkey Kong Country 3

...but after reading the OP I really want to replay Star Fox Adventures, I really really enjoyed it back in the day. Funnily enough I can never force myself through a Zelda game even though I've tried so many times.
I think it's still pretty good. It doesn't have that 'wow' factor some of the later Zelda dungeons usually have, but I feel like it doesn't get bogged down as much.

dlauv

To this day I've liked Goldeneye the most.

Perfect Dark was a decent follow-up, but some of the mission objectives were so tedious. I hope they release Jet Force Gemini for the PC, but it seems doubtful.

DKR was very good. BK is fine. DK64 is awful. BT is awful. Conker is kind of awful, but it's a comedy game and the multiplayer is pretty good. SFA is awful. I'm getting PD0 and Kameo in the mail. I hope they're good.

bede-x

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Perfect Dark. So much to see and do, and love the sand box feel. Really nothing out there today like it and not a fan of the linear cinematic FPS most seem to be doing these days.

Goldeneye and the DKC games are cool as well.

Top Bottom