• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

DBT85

The Arsenal life cycle is well known lol. It's all broken this year though as no 4th.

CVWt6TQWIAAkk5c.jpg

Beefy

Latest ITK stuff on Van Dijk. We are coming around to selling him, but are willing to take a hit and not sell him to Liverpool, even though we know that you will pay the most.

sammex

How are you going to sell him to a club he doesn't want to go to? Also how does that benefit Southampton? You get less money and still look like you can't keep your best players when bigger teams come in?

DBT85

How are you going to sell him to a club he doesn't want to go to? Also how does that benefit Southampton? You get less money and still look like you can't keep your best players when bigger teams come in?

I think the idea is that you are sending a message that you won't be bullied in to selling to a team after they've gone out of their way to unsettle the player, with the reality of the PL now being that getting £10m or even £20m less and selling to someone else doesn't really harm the club.

If this is how he is now going to be I can't imagine why they don't pursue the tapping up thing further.

Yeah that makes no sense whatsoever. Why would any other team come in for him when he only wants to play for Liverpool. No team will buy a player they know that have their heart set out to go to another team.

sammex

I think the idea is that you are sending a message that you won't be bullied in to selling to a team after they've gone out of their way to unsettle the player, with the reality of the PL now being that getting £10m or even £20m less and selling to someone else doesn't really harm the club.

If this is how he is now going to be I can't imagine why they don't pursue the tapping up thing further.

Right but it's depends if Van Dijk would be willing to go somewhere else? Also the unsettling ultimately would have worked if he ends up not starting for Soton in August, no matter where he goes. Get a player to agitate for a move and we'll sell him.

I'd be concerned if the board at my club sanctioned losing out on significant money cos the fans might be upset he's gone to Liverpool.

DBT85

Right but it's depends if Van Dijk would be willing to go somewhere else? Also the unsettling ultimately would have worked if he ends up not starting for Soton in August, no matter where he goes. Get a player to agitate for a move and we'll sell him.

I'd be concerned if the board at my club sanctioned losing out on significant money cos the fans might be upset he's gone to Liverpool.

Of course its worked if he ends up moving, but at least you can stick two fingers up to the side that turned his head.

It all depends on how desperately he wants to play for Liverpool and not play for anyone else at all.

"Kolarov's departure has left Pep Guardiola in the market for another centre half, as he expected the Serb to be able to provide cover there. City are unlikely to pursue a high-profile target and instead want cover for Vincent Kompany, John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi in the position." -

According to the Telegraph.

I guess it would be us or Chelsea. But Chelsea already bought a big money CB, we haven't and Van Dijk according to the usual crowd is our one and only CB target this summer. Which leads me to believe the club somehow is confident they can make it happen, because going into the season without adressing the CB issue would be madness even for Liverpool.

sammex

Of course its worked if he ends up moving, but at least you can stick two fingers up to the side that turned his head.

It all depends on how desperately he wants to play for Liverpool and not play for anyone else at all.

I'm not saying it's not possible, just a strange thing to do over some principal because we tapped him up like all clubs do? We're not a direct rival, our success or failure won't impact Soton. If they get a world record fee what's the difference? It won't stop other sides from doing it in the future, they'll just make sure they're more careful about it so as to not get caught. Soton are fully within their rights to tell us no, that's fine, but with the player striking it'd be unusual for him to go elsewhere. I'd say it's more likely he stays than goes to Chelsea /City. Selling us Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, and Clyne was fine but VVD is a step too far in pissing off their fans?

Only reason Southampton called Liverpool out is because of how brazen they were about it. Whoever it was at Liverpool who went to the press was a fucking moron.

Beefy

I'm not saying it's not possible, just a strange thing to do over some principal because we tapped him up like all clubs do? We're not a direct rival, our success or failure won't impact Soton. If they get a world record fee what's the difference? It won't stop other sides from doing it in the future, they'll just make sure they're more careful about it so as to not get caught. Soton are fully within their rights to tell us no, that's fine, but with the player striking it'd be unusual for him to go elsewhere. I'd say it's more likely he stays than goes to Chelsea /City. Selling us Lovren, Lallana, Lambert, and Clyne was fine but VVD is a step too far in pissing off their fans?

The whole point if the ITK stuff is true, is not sell to the team that messed with his head in the first place. Then went chatting to loads of press saying it is all done, when you hadn't even contacted us. If Chelsea etc don't bid then he doesn't go.

With how much money you get from being in the Prem, losing 10-15m isn't that much.

I just want him gone now. We are debt free, so can spend all the £70m on 3 or 4 good players.

Beefy

It's nothing to do with the fans being unhappy, it's to do with the board and owner being unhappy at you conduct.

Latest ITK stuff on Van Dijk. We are coming around to selling him, but are willing to take a hit and not sell him to Liverpool, even though we know that you will pay the most.

Oh come on, let some good old fashioned greed take hold. Think of the coke and hookers you can buy. In luring players in it's a solid long term investment!

Syder

At this point football's governing bodies need to either get rid of rules against tapping up or make the rules stricter and punishments more harsh because everyone's doing it and no one seems to care about the consequences.

TeddyBoy

Only reason Southampton called Liverpool out is because of how brazen they were about it. Whoever it was at Liverpool who went to the press was a fucking moron.

It was actually Klopp personally :lol

At this point football's governing bodies need to either get rid of rules against tapping up or make the rules stricter and punishments more harsh because everyone's doing it and no one seems to care about the consequences.

No one cares as it's the only way to get things done, if you did things exactly as you were supposed to, you wouldn't know if a player was interested in signing for your club until you'd agreed a price with his club. That would be such a colossal waste of time that it would hurt all parties immensely.

The rules just need to be reformed a little bit to make the current process official then you can truly set out of bound areas.

Yeh, I'm surprised we've not re-bought Hernandez for at least some cover up front.
Poor messi, charging in expecting neymar will feed him a tap-in. No wonder neymar wants out

Perfect.

Never use LinkedIn.

Syder

Man City sign £26.5m Danilo from Real Madrid
Manchester City have completed the signing of Real Madrid defender Danilo for a fee believed to be £26.5m.

The 26-year-old Brazil international has signed a five-year deal and will join City on their pre-season tour of the United States.

Danilo can play in both full-back roles as well as in midfield, and is City's fourth major signing of the summer.

"There was interest from other clubs, but it has always been my ambition to play for Pep Guardiola," he said.

His arrival takes City's summer spending to almost £150m, following the recruitment of England international Kyle Walker (£45m), Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva (£43m) and Brazilian goalkeeper Ederson Moraes (£35m).

CrayToes

Frauds needing to spend £300m on his back 5 to even be competitive in the PL. I'm secretly hoping for Spurs to win the league next year to put all of this gross spending to shame.

I've been rooting for Spurs to win the league since a couple seasons ago.

No other team deserves it atm. Except for Liverpool, perhaps.

Audioboxer

"This year is our year" - Liverpool fans every year since 1992

"This isn't our year" - Man Utd fans every year since Fergie (the Boss) left ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Speaking of Man Utd, have just been watching highlights for the tour games so far, but I might try and watch the RM game live tonight.

I've been rooting for Spurs to win the league since a couple seasons ago.

No other team deserves it atm. Except for Liverpool, perhaps.

You only deserve it if you can win it which they have failed to do. But I would like them to win it at some point soon as they play great football, they have a manager that has developed great technical ability within his squad and is very dynamic. They can beat any team on their day, even at their own game like with Chelsea last year. They just have to mature as a squad so they stop loosing their head to push to that next level and as long as they don't lose Eriksen for any lengthy periods of time they will be challenging.

Top Bottom