• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Levito

Banned
Honestly I just hope it's a good card, the last time Alberta got a UFC card it was the infamous UFC 149 in Calgary aka the worst UFC ever.

Heel

Setting the bar at 90k buys.

This is a tough one, Mak. Our previous modern baseline was established by "Johnson vs. Bagautinov" and, well.. "Johnson vs. Dodson" at 115k buys, respectively.

But if you then told me "Johnson vs. Borg" is an even more obscure match-up taking place in the wake of possibly the biggest combat sports event of modern times, which is costing Johnny Just Bleed $100 USD in high definition, I would have a hard time raising your established bar of 90k buys any higher.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"Anybody gives even a small bit of a fuck about TJ Dillashaw" is the most hilarious and unbelievable of Dana White's many lies that people somehow continue to fall for.

pixelation

Why are people so down on Weidman?, sure he supports Trump. But he hasn't looked terrible in his last fights he was very competitive in all of them until something went wrong (that stupid kick with Rockhold, getting caught by that Romero knee while going for the TD, the weird outcome of the Mousasi fight) but he hasn't looked bad at all. That said i think Gastelum takes this.

iddqd

Why are people so down on Weidman?, sure he supports Trump. But he hasn't looked terrible in his last fights he was very competitive in all of them until something went wrong (that stupid kick with Rockhold, getting caught by that Romero knee while going for the TD, the weird outcome of the Mousasi fight) but he hasn't looked bad at all. That said i think Gastelum takes this.

- He was barely winning against Rockhold and only with wrestling control. He then decided to be fancy
- Romero the same, looked pretty even and I don't remember him getting a lot of offense done. I do remember thinking "why is he not better then this?"
- And he was loosing against Mousasi. Getting hit with cleaner shots and would have been TKO'd a bit later anyways.

Like all wrestle brawlers, once they loose their chin and or stamina they are done. If he loses against Gastelum, the real question will be who is the bigger fall from grace.
Weidman or Hendricks?

I've wondered that for a long time.

He's long been my favorite fighter, and I still believe he's the most skilled middleweight on the planet, but it's becoming increasingly clear either his fight IQ doesn't match his ability, or his head just isn't in it anymore.

His next fight is a must win or retirement might be his best bet.

Levito

Banned
I think Rockhold was already winning that fight before Weidman threw that kick. It was super close up to that point though.

I don't dislike Weidman, but I'm not clamoring to see more of him.

If he loses against Gastelum, the real question will be who is the bigger fall from grace.
Weidman or Hendricks?

I think Hendricks will be hard to top, 1 punch KOing folks left and right and nearly beating GSP; then drug testing happens and he decides he like burgers too.

VoxPop

215 looks like a fun card.

MM vs Borg
Nunes vs Shev
Ngannou vs JDS
Cejudo vs Reis

and Gavin Tucker is awesome af. One of those stacked MM cards that no one but hardcore fans care about.

This is a tough one, Mak. Our previous modern baseline was established by "Johnson vs. Bagautinov" and, well.. "Johnson vs. Dodson" at 115k buys, respectively.

But if you then told me "Johnson vs. Borg" is an even more obscure match-up taking place in the wake of possibly the biggest combat sports event of modern times, which is costing Johnny Just Bleed $100 USD in high definition, I would have a hard time raising your established bar of 90k buys any higher.

Yes or not, if the PPV numbers are shit, does UFC (Dana) publicize it to further shame MM?

If he loses against Gastelum, the real question will be who is the bigger fall from grace.
Weidman or Hendricks?

Weidman is in a terrible place in his career but Hendricks's downfall was unprecedented.

Chris would have to get viciously TKO'd and miss weight a few times to even come close.

Not that it should be surprising as he's retired now but did any of you catch in the interview Brett did with Pauli after sparring Conor? Well it looks like Conor definitely got some shots in against a pro boxer as Pauli had a black eye and his face was marked up.

Doesn't mean much as he isn't anywhere near the boxer Mayweather is but I still thought it was a bit interesting

VoxPop

Could get tickets for tonight at the price of a PPV but I don't think I can sit through that entire card just to watch Weidman/Gastelum.

Oscar

Could get tickets for tonight at the price of a PPV but I don't think I can sit through that entire card just to watch Weidman/Gastelum.
You're trippin, there are some solid fights on this card.

Potential bangers:

Wade/Perez
Sherman/Grabowski
Burgos/Pepey
Rivera/Almeida
Villante/Cummins
Bermudez/Elkins

I'd go for $50-$60

VoxPop

Potential bangers:

Wade/Perez
Sherman/Grabowski
Burgos/Pepey
Rivera/Almeida
Villante/Cummins
Bermudez/Elkins

I'd go for $50-$60

The only fight there I'm actually interested in is Almeida/Rivera and maybe Bermudez/Elkins. Still hungover from yesterday so I think staying at home and watching it on FOX is the better call for me.

N° 2048

Potential bangers:

Wade/Perez
Sherman/Grabowski
Burgos/Pepey
Rivera/Almeida
Villante/Cummins
Bermudez/Elkins

I'd go for $50-$60

This guy fucks.
kNtlQO.gif

Fox318

I love DJ, but even I had to concede that he aint poppin ppv buy numbers to warrant a main event.

Shouldve taken the fight with T.J. or Garbrandht.
I'm saying Dana should do it as a fuck you.

Let him go out and promote a fight instead of running to twitch to play games in front of 128 viewers.

BadAss2961

My heart wants DC but my brain bets on Jones.
Jones would also be better for the division. But fuck that douche.
I'm really pulling for DC, but I don't think he's as good as he was when Jones beat him the first time. Only plus is that Jones didn't look that good from his last long layoff either. I also don't think getting swole in the meantime does his style much good.

Light-heavyweight is pretty thin right now with Rumble out of the picture. All that's there are the Gus rematches. I think DC winning would be better for the division since they could go for the rubber match while challengers develop.

Top Bottom