• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Spent almost the whole weekend playing Mario Kart, but I also got in some more My Hero Academia.

And man, outside of the things about manga that just never sit well with me, that's a fun-ass book.

I love the character designs and the powers are great.

If we don't get a Jackel arc with Robinbot as part of the team I will be pretty bummed.

Speaking of New Super-Man:
Viktor Bogdanovic has signed a contract with DC Entertainment to "create content solely" for DC and Vertigo ahead of his segue from New Super-Man to Action Comics in June. Bogdanovic, who debuted in the North American industry in 2013 with Image Comics Reality Check, has been working consistently with DC since late 2014.

”Hiring an artist like Viktor, who has clean lines and clear characters, was perfect to launch New Super-Man," said Bob Harras, DC's Editor-In-Chief. ”With this success, I'm looking forward to seeing what Viktor does this summer with Action Comics. We have an incredible creative team here at DC and we're always looking for talented new writers and artists to join our ranks."

The German artist began at DC with the digital-first Batman: Arkham Knight title, and then moved onto Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot and then most recently launching New Super-Man with Gene Luen Yang as part of "Rebirth."

”Drawing the Man of Steel himself in Action Comics is another childhood dream come true," Bogdanovic said. ”There are exciting things happening at DC right now and I'm delighted to be a part of it."

DC's announcement of Bogdanovic's deal doesn't specify the length of the deal, but curiously avoids the use of the term "exclusive."

Is it bad that I've never read Trouble outside of screencaps? Not many comics have that power.

New SF swimsuit special.

tumblr_naizuvh5oF1qbvl2io1_500.gif

Don't think so, but I have hope that it being a new hero and having the whole Chinese market thing helps keep it around longer.

Glad more people are coming around on New Super-Man.

SS5ShwYL.gif

Guys I need some advice:

Captain America Omnibus Vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker...what omnibuses (omnibusi?) follows on from this? There isn't a Volume 2 as far as I am aware.

Is it this?

Don't go down that rabbit hole. Many of those are out of circulation and you will be looking at a $500 minimum spend to get all of them.

If you don't mind spending that much, the order should be

Captain America Vol. 1
Death Of Captain America
Captain America Lives!
Trial of Captain America
Return of the Winter Soldier

Don't go down that rabbit hole. Many of those are out of circulation and you will be looking at a $500 minimum spend to get all of them.

Captain America Vol. 1
Death Of Captain America
Captain America Lives!
Trial of Captain America

You can get a good amount of it in their complete/ultimate collection paperback trades now too, right? I would probably go that route these days, if I were to buy up the run physically, that and just whatever regular trades at the end to cap it off.

Fevaweva

Captain America Vol. 1
Death Of Captain America
Captain America Lives!
Trial of Captain America

PS: Join us in the new thread! - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366681

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind. Man following runs for certain writers is difficult.

When it comes to paperbacks/ultimate editions. What is the buying order?

I am still waiting on Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four Omnibus to ever get reissued.

Owzers

I keep watching The Magicians, and I keep not knowing how I feel about it.
It's on my list of things to try. Right now I only watch last man on earth. I started Legion, hate walking dead and haven't seen the last episode, and am waiting for game of thrones to return and subscribe to hbo now for two months.

Legion is slow but I like its style.

It's on my list of things to try. Right now I only watch last man on earth. I started Legion, hate walking dead and haven't seen the last episode, and am waiting for game of thrones to return and subscribe to hbo now for two months.

Legion is absolutely brilliant, on ep 3 now. You might like The Leftovers, could try that on HBO

On the Cap thing, this link seems accurate. Just kind of glaze your eyes/skip what's in the written paragraphs and scan for the book names haha:

Click

Although, it's pretty extensive with including the side stuff. If I was catching up, I would skip IV and most of V, and go from Prisoner Of War right over to the Winter Soldier complete collection, but that's just me. I read it all already so I know what parts I didn't like haha

Like, it has cool stuff, but then it's weird. Like it goes from adult Harry Potter to child rape real quick.

Yeah then the chick like bleeds out of her face to death. It's real weird and constantly hinges between campy dumb fun and dark cheesy dumb. It's almost schizophrenic.

Edit: Speaking of shows, starting to watch Dragon Ball Super finally and WTF did they do to the animation?! The animation for battles is so damn terrible.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

God, I love Last Man on Earth. I didn't for a while in season 1, but I totally came around on Tandy.

Also, The Leftovers is amazing, and I'm so glad that it's back.

Is the WWE comic Canon?

I imagine it's on the same level as Scooby-Doo WrestleMania Mystery.

It's alright but they're hampered by going so far back, storyline-wise. I think I'd prefer a format closer to the WrestleMania Special. I enjoyed that more than the main book.

Botched Spot did what they're doing in 4-6 issues in 3 panels:
2016-06-08-guy-to-cheer-for.jpg

Owzers

God, I love Last Man on Earth. I didn't for a while in season 1, but I totally came around on Tandy.

Last man on earth...it's pretty jarring how he went from cringey jerk to just super cringey. I prefer super cringey too.

Pro-Tip: Don't read Neonomicon.
I've a well-documented weakness for most things Avatar Press.
Yet to find something more shit than Ferals, tho.
Is that the one where the woman gets raped by the fish man?
Repeatedly. But it's ok because she
goes crazy and ends up loving the rape-monster-baby that will bring in the age of the old ones or whatever. She's a modern Virgin Mary, tbh,
only, yknow, not virgin

Ah dude, I am loving the new season of Leftovers, its so good. Feel pretty spoiled with TV right now tbh and I haven't even watched the new season of The Americans or the start of American Gods. Legion, Leftovers and Fargo keeping me busy! And thank god, no Bones.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Last man on earth...it's pretty jarring how he went from cringey jerk to just super cringey. I prefer super cringey too.

That was exactly it. He went from being a selfish idiot to a selfless idiot, and it totally works for me.

Ah dude, I am loving the new season of Leftovers, its so good. Feel pretty spoiled with TV right now tbh and I haven't even watched the new season of The Americans or the start of American Gods. Legion, Leftovers and Fargo keeping me busy! And thank god, no Bones.

April is an embarrassment of TV riches. The Leftovers, Silicon Valley, Veep, Fargo, and Catastrophe all happening at once is spectacular.

And I just caught up on Samurai Jack, and it's so cool to see how it stepped up from being a Cartoon Network show to an adult swim show.

Between that and all the great games coming out, there's a reason I don't read a ton of comics anymore.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Deadly Class volume 5, 3 issues in.

At first I wasn't sure if I would like Saya being the main character but the switch has been pretty good and I'm warming up to the new cast. That East German Thor guy is my favorite. Not sure what Z's deal is, seems like something big happened to her to make her join the school, what with her being super religious and just being a really sweet and caring person.

Green Arrow #21
Slow issue. A lot of set-ups and not much more.
Bringing Cheshire and Brick in is nice, and this is a very interesting way to bring in Star City,
but beyond that and
Ollie's dad's secret cave,
there's not much to say.

Supergirl: Being Super #3
Good issue with a predictable turn. I'm sort of upset because of that, as I was really enjoying that this was simply a very personal story with superpowers. That said, I wonder:
on this particular Earth, does Superman exist at all, or is it just Kara?
Looking forward to the conclusion.

Superman #21
Aaaaw man plot threads converging. I love it. This is going in a supremely weird direction, and I'm okay with that. This book will be good forever. Oh, and I'm betting that the whole town is some sort of weird mind warp and itsn't natural. I mean,
I bet everyone drinks that milk. Plus, when Cobb talked to Krypto, Krypto's eyes glowed purple. Before Superman went into the House of Mysteries (calling it), there was a bunch of animals with purple eyes. Artistic stylings, sure, but I'm calling it that there's a connection.

Super Sons #3
Lots of action in this one. I really like Sara's design and power set and I
hope she gets brought back after this arc is done with.
This book is just cool.

Nightwing #19
Well this certainly took a turn. I have no idea who Dr. Hurt is and based on what this issue says, he's a discount Hugo Strange. But all of this weird shit is just wacky. And weird. I don't know how I feel about this arc. It went from terrifying to, "what the fuck?" Although, interesting thing to point out,
is that when Superman visited Dick, he referred to Dick as the "multiversal constant". So all the worlds Dick saw where his life went to shit, are those also all shitty worlds as a whole?
Just some fun DC metaphysical speculation.

Yeah then the chick like bleeds out of her face to death. It's real weird and constantly hinges between campy dumb fun and dark cheesy dumb. It's almost schizophrenic.
Basically. Weird as hell. I love the lore and mythology that's being built. The characters are fine on paper, and some of them are fiiiine on screen. The dialogue is serviceable, as well as the acting. The special and visual effects are cool.

But the plot makes no goddamned sense sometimes. The pacing is awful. Like they're so worried about needing to make it to the next plot point that they don't take the time to actually build to it.
Is it good? Thinking about buying the first season for 20€ (since there's no way to stream it).
It's fine.

ElNarez

Banned
Nightwing #19
Well this certainly took a turn. I have no idea who Dr. Hurt is and based on what this issue says, he's a discount Hugo Strange. But all of this weird shit is just wacky. And weird. I don't know how I feel about this arc. It went from terrifying to, "what the fuck?" Although, interesting thing to point out,
is that when Superman visited Dick, he referred to Dick as the "multiversal constant". So all the worlds Dick saw where his life went to shit, are those also all shitty worlds as a whole?
Just some fun DC metaphysical speculation.

Dr. Hurt is one of the main guys in Morrison's Batman run, the big story being Batman R.I.P., but a lot of that arc is also riffing on pretty much all of Batman and Robin, so, read all of the Morrison Batman run from Batman & Son to Leviathan Rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom