• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
<3 Purefoy.

There's really no reason not to cast him.

Speaking of casting, you know who I'd like to see in future seasons?

Peter Mensah from Spartacus. I just watched Blood and Sand and really enjoyed his performance.

He could easily play many of the roles in Essos in Dany's storyline.

Purefoy is pretty perfect for the role. He's about the right age, looks like he could kick ass, and he has worked with HBO and has worked with swords/horses before.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Appreciate the suggestions.

Tried everything but my CS 5 doesn't seem to want to recognize any file formats properly when I 'Import Video Frames to Layers' -- they're either all greyed out (mp4/avi/anything) or I get a series of black stills (mov/mpeg).

ALAS.

GIF Brewery it is.
Did you make sure the codec was set to MPEG4 and not H.264?

yXKqE.png

jett

D-Member
James Purefoy as Mance Rayder would be too perfect.

Of course, it won't happen. HBO will undoubtedly cast some decrepit, aging 60~ year-old, because it seems that's how Weiss and Benioff picture most of the characters.

Of course, it won't happen. HBO will undoubtedly cast some decrepit, aging 60~ year-old, because it seems that's how Weiss and Benioff picture most of the characters.

Aside from the obvious age liberties that they have taken with the "children" on the show (although the inconsistencies with the writing as of this past episode is hard to ignore, as we are to believe Theon is only 17 (unless I am missing something, and I understand it was written like this in the book, but if the starks had Theon for 9 years, that would mean he is no older than 17 since Balon states that the starks had him for longer than he did) on the show when Arya is 13? (yes I know she is younger in book, like i said... age liberties for the show), I think the casting crew has been pretty much spot on with every one.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

That'd be perfect casting for him. Whoever they choose they need to understand that Mance is a charismatic character. If the person plays him as all super serious King Beyond the Wall then ugh.

KingGondo

Banned
That'd be perfect casting for him. Whoever they choose they need to understand that Mance is a charismatic character. If the person plays him as all super serious King Beyond the Wall then ugh.
Nah, one of the key aspects of the characters is that he's a charmer, and that he's relatively unassuming.

I think D&D understand the characters, and I'm sure they've discussed Purefoy as Rayder.

Wray

Purefoy is my first choice for pretty much any role. Although I really want him as
The Red Viper
over any other character.
Euron Greyjoy
would be my second choice, with Mance coming in third.

For Mance Rayder, I think John Hannah would be perfect. He absolutely slayed it as Batiatus and he would certainly bring buckets of charisma for a role that certainly needs it. Plus he's available!

40568_pro.jpg

Purefoy is my first choice for pretty much any role. Although I really want him as
The Red Viper
over any other character.
Euron Greyjoy
would be my second choice, with Mance coming in third.

For Mance Rayder, I think John Hannah would be perfect. He absolutely slayed it as Batiatus and he would certainly bring buckets of charisma for a role that certainly needs it. Plus he's available!

40568_pro.jpg

hannah would have to bulk up a bit i think. I never thought he was a ripped, but I always pictured him to be a bit stockier. Like Ron Perlman maybe (who is actually a huge fan of the series and has been very vocal about wanting to play any role on the show.

Maybe they secretly did cast him already since (ASOS Spoiler sorry!)
Mance mentions that he knows who Jon Snow is because he crashed the Baratheon caravan on the way to Winterfell as a musician ( i think flute or something?)
Quick... Someone rewatch that scene!

yacobod

Banned
Personally I always saw Dominic West as Mance Rayder.

He's even got an HBO precedent.

Actually I might actually take West over Purefoy for the role. West played a pretty sleazy and fun Roman Soldier in Centurion, which was directed by Neil Marshall, who is doing episode 9 of this season.

Wray

<3 Purefoy.

There's really no reason not to cast him.

Speaking of casting, you know who I'd like to see in future seasons?

Peter Mensah from Spartacus. I just watched Blood and Sand and really enjoyed his performance.

He could easily play many of the roles in Essos in Dany's storyline.

Speaking of Spartacus and Peter Mensah. I mentioned a few weeks ago that he would make an awesome
Belwas
, and I still believe it. They would probably have to expand that character a little more for the show if they went with an actor like Mensah, but that would be a good thing for the character. Get Oenomaus on this show!

Oenomaus
Belwas
= Best
Belwas

spartacus-vengeance-peter-mensah-4.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
Speaking of Spartacus and Peter Mensah. I mentioned a few weeks ago that he would make an awesome
Belwas
, and I still believe it. They would probably have to expand that character a little more for the show if they went with an actor like Mensah, but that would be a good thing for the character. Get Oenomaus on this show!

Oenomaus
Belwas
= Best
Belwas
There are so many roles they could work him into. I could even see him as ADWD
Moqorro
, assuming the show gets that far.

He doesn't fit the physical description of either
Moqorro or Belwas
, but he would still be outstanding.

He, Andy Whitfield, and John Hannah really made Spartacus as great as it was.

Belwas

Oenomaus
Belwas
= Best
Belwas

but isn't that character described in the book as generally pretty large, not just muscular?
If i recall Strong Belwas is described as just huge, not necessarily just muscular. He is just a Huge guy in general.
I pictured someone more like a Michael Clarke Duncan.

Wray

There are so many roles they could work him into. I could even see him as ADWD
Moqorro
, assuming the show gets that far.

He doesn't fit the physical description of either
Moqorro or Belwas
, but he would still be outstanding.

He, Andy Whitfield, and John Hannah really made Spartacus as great as it was.

Agreed about Spartacus. I would love to see Viva Bianca on GoT too, but I don't think there is a future role that would fit her. She would make a good
Tyene Sand
, but that character as it stands is way to small. She might not even make it on the show and get the cut depending on what GRRM has in store for her in Winds. I suppose
Arianne Martell
would work if she wore a black wig.

Also, I forgot about
Moqorro
. That would another excellent choice. What about
Thoros of Myr
since we're talking about Red Priests. Another suggestion I would throw out would be
Areo Hotah
. I think he could breath some on screen life into a character that is pretty boring in book form.

but isn't that character described in the book as generally pretty large, not just muscular?
If i recall Strong Belwas is described as just huge, not necessarily just muscular. He is just a Huge guy in general.
I pictured someone more like a Michael Clarke Duncan.

He's has a big gut, but stuff like that isn't important. The actors performance and ability to portray his characters personality is much more important. That's something I think Peter Mensah could nail, and somebody like Michael Clarke Duncan would fail at. Although Peter Mensah is a pretty tall and imposing figure. Just not "large" in the way
Belwas
is.

I gave up on it after like 4 episodes. It was really bad. So bad that even if it got a lot better it would still be pretty bad.

Another person who judged greatness on a few bumpy early episodes. Most people who watch both Spartacus and GoT would agree that the writing on that show is easily on par with GoT, and in some ways surpasses it.

Agreed about Spartacus. I would love to see Viva Bianca on GoT too, but I don't think there is a future role that would fit her.

Also, I forgot about
Moqorro
. That would another excellent choice. What about
Thoros of Myr
since we're talking about Red Priests. Another suggestion I would throw out would be
Areo Hotah
. I think he could breath some on screen life into a character that is pretty boring in book form.

He's has a big gut, but stuff like that isn't important. The actors performance and ability to portray his characters personality is much more important. That's something I think Peter Mensah could nail, and somebody like Michael Clarke Duncan would fail at.

I am not saying that it should be MCD, but that was the type of build I pictured. As I have said before, The casting crew has been pretty damn good about bringing MY vision of the series to a live action format. I know some people have been disappointed with a few of the choices recently, but with the exception of like 2 characters, everyone is spot on for me. I would expect the same level of quality to continue through out and I would hope they don't resort to "well he doesn't fit the physical description, but hes a fantastic actor!" mentality.

KingGondo

Banned
Another person who judged greatness on a few bumpy early episodes. Most people who watch Spartacus would agree that the writing on that show is easily on par with GoT, and in some ways surpasses it.
Yeah, the first couple of episodes are pretty bad, but comparing it and GoT is comparing apples and oranges. They're completely different shows, although I agree that Spartacus' writing really hits its stride at a certain point.

But the first season as a whole is fantastic. Just don't take it too seriously.

Azrael

I gave up on it after like 4 episodes. It was really bad. So bad that even if it got a lot better it would still be pretty bad.

That's four episodes longer than I made it then. I couldn't get past the horrible CGI sets and poor man's 300 battle scenes. I would recommend fans of Game of Thrones looking for something similar to check out The Borgias instead.

I agree that some of the invented scenes are silly (we certainly didn't need Loras sucking Renly off to beat us over the head that Renly might actually be gay) but I would say most of them add A LOT to the story. In my opinion for every meh new scene, we get 2 great new scenes. Robert Baratheon talking about Lyanna to Cersei for instance was a great scene as is Tywin's lecture to Jaime. I also like that Theon's presence in Season 1 of the show is greater than in the book. I can certainly name far more positive additions than the negatives. I forgot, the Littlefinger/Varys scenes are also really good.

Good points, the scenes you list weren't bad (except for the first LF/Varys scene which I really don't like); also I really didn't like Robert's scene with Cersei, but I'm the only one who didn't apparently.

The Renly/Loras scene struck me as an example of the lack/fear of subtlety. Same with LF's clumsy "will you be having your friend tonight?" comment at the joust; that's just bad dialogue. It would have been great if the relationship was subtlety hinted at. Perhaps instead of Loras shaving Renly, they both could be in a bath house being shaved by some flirty woman both clearly aren't interested in, while Lroas quietly gives his pitch for kingship. That way their relationship could have some meaning to new viewers this season, when the relationship is fully revealed.

Peru

I don't see any reason for being 'subtle' about Renly and Loras, especially with them getting such a short screentime. And for fuck's sake, since we're getting boobs and straight sex scenes every episode we NEED some dick sucking when the opportunity arises, to at least try and balance things out.

Keep watching. It's better than Game of Thrones S1
It took me until Episode 4 before I could enjoy it. Once we hit The Pits, I was hooked and never looked back. It is certainly more enjoyable that GoT Season 1,IMO. Totally different, though. Both are really great.

Dat last kill! :O

AcciDante

You should watch at least one more. That show is really hard to recommend to people because the first episodes are garbage, and it somehow ends up being great. Such a turnaround.

I don't see any reason for being 'subtle' about Renly and Loras, especially with them getting such a short screentime. And for fuck's sake, since we're getting boobs and straight sex scenes every episode we NEED some dick sucking when the opportunity arises, to at least try and balance things out.

Sucking sounds need not apply...

Snake

I'm sorta curious about rewatching the first few episodes of Spartacus S1. I certainly felt like the show improved drastically over the course, but I don't remember if the beginning is quite as bad as people make it out to be.

Wray

Ron Perlman needs to be cast as Tormund Giantsbane.

That would be ideal casting, but the role is
too small for Ron Perlman. I cant see HBO paying the funds for a big actor like Ron Perlman for such a minor role, unless Ron Perlman offered to do it at a huge discount

KingK

That would be ideal casting, but the role is
too small for Ron Perlman. I cant see HBO paying the funds for a big actor like Ron Perlman for such a minor role, unless Ron Perlman offered to do it at a huge discount

True, but I can't think of any other role yet to be filled that would really suit him other than that.

Ark

Would you guys recommend reading AGoT before ACoK? I know it sounds silly, but I've already watched the series twice so I know all of the major plot twists and such, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating the series if I just skip the first book, but at the same time I don't feel as if I'd be totally compelled to read something when I know what happens.

Usually wouldn't do this, but it was worth an ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom