• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Gileadxv

Banned
It took me about 60 hours to complete the game, and I didn't start suffering burnout until I hit Detyre (which was the last zone on the main continent for me). Unfortunately, I had inadvertently stepped foot in Detyre much earlier in the game (for all of 30 seconds), which meant when it came time to actually quest there, the entire zone was at a grey challenge level. For me, this was the catalyst sparking my impatience. Prior this zone, I had been doing every quest (I finished the game having completed 160+ quests), but without the incentive of engaging combat nor decent loot, I started to try and rush through the zone.

Unfortunately, once this set in, the game began to feel like a well received guest who over stayed their welcome. Minor annoyances grew into grating aggravations. The biggest offender was the lack of an easy way to reach the exit at the end of a dungeon. I wouldn't have mind the similarity in dungeon aesthetics if I didn't have to back track through nearly every cave and grotto in order to leave. I eventually started avoiding dungeons altogether because of this. This is in contrast to earlier in the game when I enjoyed exploring every nook and cranny of the dungeons, and engaging in the copious amounts of combat they provided.

My second biggest frustration was with the modulated Irish brogues the Fae used. By the last few hours of the game, I was grinding my teeth when they would speak (I would eventually start skipping lorestones because of this). I completely concede that this complaint comes down to personal preference. Ironically, I do in fact love the sound of Irish accents, but the modulation really wore on my nerves.

Let me be clear, this is a GOOD game. The combat is extremely satisfying, and Big Huge Games lives up to their moniker, as there is an enormous amount of content and value to be had. And therein lies part of the problem. Sometimes, less is more. It's clear a lot of effort went into creating the universe of Amalur, but the execution and delivery suffers due to failing to find an engaging way to involve the player in carving a meaningful niche within it. For all of the lore and content, it rarely feels like Kingdoms of Amalur has a voice of its own, which is a shame because there ARE some really interesting ideas worth exploring (for instance the the constant re-telling of the stories of the Fae).

I believe that if the conversation options had been halved (that's merely an arbitrary number for sake of discussion), and instead allowed for more personal interaction with your character (a voiced player character would have gone a long way, especially considering the amount of time you will be spending with them in this game) would have invested the player in the universe in a more meaningful way. Too often I would complete a Faction chain of quests, and prove myself to be just short of a god on earth...er, Amalur, only to still be casually dismissed or disregarded by the local Faction merchant. Aside from being addressed non-nonchalantly by whatever new title I had acquired, nothing felt like anything had really changed, despite my heroic endeavors (a caveat to this is the main story line, where after certain events some people do seem to treat you differently). END GAME SPOILER AHEAD!
Even with Alyn Shir towards the end of the game, it felt very strange to be receiving thinly veiled threats from an elf who runs around in her underwear, when I'm about to kill a dragon god. I had demonstrated I was incredibly over powered at this point, and it seemed unlikely that Alyn Shir would not recognize the unfortunate reality that I could crush her like an ant. Granted, perhaps that is one path the game takes -- I typically chose the "nice guy" route.

I realize that it may seem that I am being over critical of the game. This is due partially to the amount of time I have spent with it (60+ hours), and also due to the incredible potential this game has. As I stated earlier, it is a good game. I enjoyed most of my time with it, and I would recommend it to most people. If I had to classify it, I would say it's Fable meets Skyrim. Definitely not a bad class of games to be grouped with. The artistry and environments are colorful and vibrant (though each zone gave me flashbacks to World of Warcraft), and it is evident that a lot of effort and love went into crafting this game. The amount of content is staggering. This works both for and against it. I'm excited to see what's in store with this franchise (beyond the MMO), as Reckoning truly is a great springboard as the first game of the franchise. A strong foundation has been set, and I have no doubt that 38 Studios and Big Huge Games will continue to improve the experience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even with Alyn Shir towards the end of the game, it felt very strange to be receiving thinly veiled threats from an elf who runs around in her underwear, when I'm about to kill a dragon god. I had demonstrated I was incredibly over powered at this point, and it seemed unlikely that Alyn Shir would not recognize the unfortunate reality that I could crush her like an ant. Granted, perhaps that is one path the game takes -- I typically chose the "nice guy" route.

Oh man, that part about Alyn Shir really bothered me, too.
The way she threatened she would have to kill me if I didn't keep the secret... Seriously? Some idiotic girl who prances around in her underwear is threatening to kill me? A guy who came back to life, was the first to control his own fate, and has the power to effortlessly end the life a god-like Dragon in a but a few moments? Rage!!

Hawk269

Stay tuned for our first DLC stuff, incoming soon.

Sounds great...will we possibly get a patch before the DLC though? In all honestly, I want the DLC, I will buy the DLC..but if you asked me what I want more, it would be a patch. Hell at this point, I will pay for a patch.

Does anyone have the chest for Helius armor set? If so what is might requirement on it and if you remember where did you find it/got the drop?

Is there a chance the patch could contain the ability to invert the camera controls properly? Just wondering if its been mentioned at all.

Seems like such a simple thing to fix that I really need. :(

I have 50 hours played since yesterday. Just reached Alabastra while having done 120 side quests and completed 2 factions, and completely neglecting the Rogue type faction (forgot the name) because it does not interest me one bit. The overall stealth used in that faction is so dumb and annoying, especially when having to steal keys by pickpocketing. It feels so slow in a game where fast combat is one of the biggest selling points.

I believe I have about 5 more hours until I am done with this. The more I started playing it, the more I began to see its flaws. The loot is one of the things that is amazing at first, but becomes a dissapointment once you venture beyond the Level 20. I never once been able to get a full armor set since the sets are stuck in a region or two. Getting a Wanderer setpiece in the Plains of Erathell for example means that you have to stay in that region since those pieces are set there. Venturing towards Detyre immediately grants you another setpiece while neglecting the other pieces you are trying to save.

It is not that the system is entirely flawed. The loot system works, but you level up so fast and so many regions have only a few sidequests that oné region alone only takes a couple of hours, while the amount of time needed to get a full set can take up to 15 hours. They should have at least lowered the %chance to get a set piece by at least half of what it is now. The game gets you trough area's so fast that it just demands that.

Despite those two negatives I still absolutely love the game for everything else. The world, the art design, the gameplay, the lore.

Hobbun

They’ve already said it is much easier putting out the DLC compared to doing a patch, as they need to not only code in the fixes, but test and retest so nothing else is broken with the changes. On top of that, there are more hoops they need to jump through to actually get it certified by Sony and Microsoft, as well.

Because of that, I don’t see them putting out multiple patches, unless they absolutely have to.

Finally, the DLC has already been worked on, and I am guessing has been ok’d by Sony and MS, and it is supposed to be out sometime next month. Where I am sure they are still working on the patch, especially since a lot of the developers have been taken a much deserved break.

I would like to see those fixes as well, but I'd be highly surprised if you see any patch before the DLC.

ParityBit

Egads! I must finish the game before the DLC then! Although I am cruising along now. I hate OCD. Why must I do all the side quests (non-reoccurring)

I am at about 130 hours and level 37 I think. 7 Achievements to go (4 I should get by completing the game)

Hobbun

No level cap increase or skills. I'm not so sure it would be worth it to me at this point once I finish up the game if those are not included.

Agreed.

I don’t think I would put out extra money for a DLC if I would go into at 40th level (without the possibility to level).

The game is fun, but not really worth it if I can’t advance my character, as well. One of the main reasons why I enjoy RPG’s.

Klyka

Banned
Maybe they can add some bars you can fill.

I'll pick this up, looking forward to the new enemies and checking out a new land :D

ElyrionX

So I am thinking of respeccing from pure Sorc to a 79/44 Slayer Finesse/Might build using Faeblades and Greatswords.

Active abilities:
Shadow Flare
Lunge
Smoke Bomb
Relentless Assault

Sustained abilities:
Envenomed Edge
Blade Honing

Passives:
Paralytic Poisons
Execution
Mysterious Toxins
Adrenaline Surge

So I just got a couple of questions here. First of all, how good are bows in this game? I added zero points to the whole line of bow skills because using them at lower levels felt kind of boring. And if bows are good, how important are Scattershot and Arrow Storm? Do I need to max both?

I've heard that Mysterious Toxins is not as awesome it sounds. Is that true? Does this mean, I should allocate the points elsewhere in the Finesse tree (Frost Trap, maybe)?

scy

Odd to not get Battle Frenzy at all; 79/44 Finesse/Might (or 78/45, since you can just use 3/4 Paralytic Poisons if you have +2 Finesse Skills) is basically about dealing massive damage as fights go on and to obliterate stunned enemies.

Mysterious Toxins isn't jaw dropping amazing but it's not terrible. The radius could be larger, sure, but you'll have it explode and hit things pretty often, especially in a melee build. I just wouldn't center a build around it. I definitely wouldn't replace Poison with Frost Trap, though, but I don't really like the traps. Found them pretty time intensive to get good mileage out of them and they didn't even ultimately do much in the long-run. Maybe I suck at traps, though.

As for Bows, they're pretty damn good. Scattershot is a better version of Shadow Flare and Arrow Storm has some uses. Of the three Finesse weapons, they're probably the strongest of them.

No level cap increase or skills. I'm not so sure it would be worth it to me at this point once I finish up the game if those are not included.

My feelings exactly. I've only basically done side quests so far and I'm just about to hit level 37. Having no level cap raise in the DLC seriously affects my decision to buy it. :\

So I am thinking of respeccing from pure Sorc to a 79/44 Slayer Finesse/Might build using Faeblades and Greatswords.

Active abilities:
Shadow Flare
Lunge
Smoke Bomb
Relentless Assault

Sustained abilities:
Envenomed Edge
Blade Honing

Passives:
Paralytic Poisons
Execution
Mysterious Toxins
Adrenaline Surge

So I just got a couple of questions here. First of all, how good are bows in this game? I added zero points to the whole line of bow skills because using them at lower levels felt kind of boring. And if bows are good, how important are Scattershot and Arrow Storm? Do I need to max both?

I've heard that Mysterious Toxins is not as awesome it sounds. Is that true? Does this mean, I should allocate the points elsewhere in the Finesse tree (Frost Trap, maybe)?

Bows are godly, sir. You can double the amount of available arrows by taking at least one point in each archery skill. I can't quite attatch the name of the skill to its effect, but the skill that allows you to fire multiple arrows our of a charged shot is necessary if you want to get the most out of archery. The skill that fires a raining volley from a block is pretty forgettable. I'd take it at least once for the arrow increase.

scy

Bows are godly, sir. You can double the amount of available arrows by taking at least one point in each archery skill. I can't quite attatch the name of the skill to its effect, but the skill that allows you to fire multiple arrows our of a charged shot is necessary if you want to get the most out of archery. The skill that fires a raining volley from a block is pretty forgettable. I'd take it at least once for the arrow increase.

Scattershot is pretty ridiculous since it's basically Shadow Flare that scales with your weapon.

Arrow Storm, however, has a pretty high damage multiplier on it and it can hit even unstunned targets around two times. A charged shot of it is better damage per arrow than a regular charged shot, I believe. It's still not super amazing awesome but it's not terrible. A bit unwieldly but it's a nice change of pace from otherwise just shooting arrows into things normally, if nothing else.

It looks great! But I will probably be passing. As it is I have a maxed out character and so much loot with no place to store it. Probably down the road if there is a level increase/balance of some sort though. Oh, and a bigger stash!

I must say though, I appreciate the work you and the guys are putting into supporting your game.
Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. Unless they increase the inventory/stash, I think I'll hold off on DLC. What's the point in new loot if you can't keep it around? I'm completely maxed out of storage as it is.

I'm sure the story will be nice and the new area sounds cool, but I still have things left to explore in the original game anyway, so that isn't enough to sell me on it.

foxdvd

He pretty much hit the nail on the head again. Game is far too easy, and the camera angle obscures the games biggest strength (its environments).

Difficulty was the main reason the game dragged at the end for me. The lack of challenge has been brought up over and over again, but I think it is a valid point. I am not sure if they underestimated the skill level of their users, but if I play a game for 50-60 hours on the hardest setting, and never die...or even come close to it the second half...that is a problem. I think future dlc that added maybe another difficulty level would go a long way to get me to go back to this world.

Hawk269

Difficulty was the main reason the game dragged at the end for me. The lack of challenge has been brought up over and over again, but I think it is a valid point. I am not sure if they underestimated the skill level of their users, but if I play a game for 50-60 hours on the hardest setting, and never die...or even come close to it the second half...that is a problem. I think future dlc that added maybe another difficulty level would go a long way to get me to go back to this world.

Well said. There are several issues with the DLC and no time frame given for the patch. According to a post made by Curt on the official forums, they are contractually obligated to deliver DLC at certain time frames based on their contract with EA. So, it could be that resources for a patch may be focused on the DLC.

What I dont think some dont understand is that by and large, based on my sole opinion the feedback to the DLC has been lukewarm due to issues with the main game. What is the purpose of adding all that content if most players are already maxed out level wise? Like many have said, no mention of more inventory slots so that we can store the extra gear that is part of the this DLC. No level cap beng raised..so again what is the point? Lastly, we get all this new content and since it can be accessed at any time weather you are just starting out or already beat the game, means that it will follow the same dark hole difficulty that the main game suffers from.

Personally, I would tell EA that yes..we have this contract, but we will sell more DLC if we fix the main game first, then more people would be inclined to buy the DLC. If EA says no, then release the DLC as planned. I know for me and several co-workers that are suffering from the stuttering problem, the button prompt issues when in Reckoning mode and for me and my family the lame difficutly issues..none of us are getting the DLC until the main game is patched up. That is basically 12 copies of the DLC that will not be sold.

Not saying that as a threat or anything at all. I just beleive that you reward and continue to being a loyal customer if the company you are supporting delivers a quality product and keeps such product updated with fixes to glaring issues.

What I have done and mainly due to my kids losing almost all interest in the game is we have traded in the 360 version. We also never opened our Guide so that was returned as well. We still have the Steam version on PC just because there is nothing else we can do with it and part of me has a glimmer of hope that things will be fixed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really really love this game. But if Darksiders 2 is better than part 1 and it looks like it. I'm gonna have to give my game of the year award to them again :3

I like the idea of having armory, even though I'm not sure what will be the purpose of it.

The way I would like to see it would be a huge round room with mannequins around it, on which we could put our armor sets or custom armors to showcase the stuff. We could look at them and with the press of one button could equip the entire set from the mannequin. Same thing for weapons and shields, but instead of having them on mannequins we could put them on the walls and grab them from there when need it. Maybe a few chests and weapon racks to complete the look and to make the place look more busy.

I know it won't happen but it's just another dream of mine ;)

Derrick01

Banned
I finished the game about a week ago but I just wanted to say I enjoyed most of the 85 hours I put into it. Curt your studio did a hell of a job establishing a solid RPG world, but I do hope the sequel is tougher and better balanced for completionists.

I traded it in but only because I'm going to rebuy it on PC when a sale is going on. I'm definitely interested in the DLC and since I'll be starting over on PC I have a feeling I'll enjoy it more since I won't be at max level.

Hawk269

Hawk269

I like the idea of having armory, even though I'm not sure what will be the purpose of it.

The way I would like to see it would be a huge round room with mannequins around it, on which we could put our armor sets or custom armors to showcase the stuff. We could look at them and with the press of one button could equip the entire set from the mannequin. Same thing for weapons and shields, but instead of having them on mannequins we could put them on the walls and grab them from there when need it. Maybe a few chests and weapon racks to complete the look and to make the place look more busy.

I know it won't happen but it's just another dream of mine ;)

So basically like Fable then. What you describe above is what Fable did in the costume room where armore was on mannequins in a round room.

So basically like Fable then. What you describe above is what Fable did in the costume room where armore was on mannequins in a round room.

Yeah kinda like Fable but with bigger room and more mannequins around it. I think that was pretty cool idea what Fable did with the costume room. They could also make a trophy room with all the enemies statutes inside and when you walk to a statue of certain creature it would tell you how many of them have you killed etc.

Sera O

Banned
The upcoming DLC sounds like it adds a lot, but I can't imagine wanting more at this point! I have been sinking tons of time into KoA and I'm still only in the 3rd region (went from Dalentarth -> Detyre -> Erathell on advice from people in this thread - thanks). There is just so much content already, which is great. I haven't run into a single freeze or glitch either which is great (esp. after that demo).

I've been trying to focus on the main and faction quests as I was just going nowhere with the huge number of sidequests.

The world/lore have not hooked me. Usually I'd be all over reading all the books etc, but in Reckoning I've even stopped attending to the lorestones - the awkward rhymes were making me sad. Even though I can see the effort, and the people involved would suggest a big investment in story and world-building, I feel like the gameworld doesn't really have much draw. I'm not even sure why I haven't felt engaged, but part of it is the feeling that the world is so sparsely populated and the NPCs haven't been very distinctive.

Oddly, this hasn't impacted my enjoyment like I'd expect. The variety in the combat is a lot of fun, and I love the flexibility and hybrid options available. I am still trying different weapons and skills. I certainly don't feel like I need to in order to survive, though. Multiple niskaru can be tricky but other than the Maid quest it's been easy. Difficulty and camera fixes would add tons to my enjoyment of this game. By the time they roll around I think I'll probably have moved on though.

One observation - I still haven't completed a single armor set even though my storage is crammed with pieces. I decided that as soon as I completed one I'd use it no matter what the stats but I'm just not getting it. Smithing is really powerful and all, but the armor I make is so boring compared to sets people have posted - and it's not like I have needed tons of protection so far. I'm rolling in gold with nothing to buy. It would be nice if I could buy armor sets as I'm so shitty at finding/farming them.

Yeah tell me about farming the sets mate lol I'm afraid that there is one set in the game I won't be able to complete, the damn Helius set and it's just driving me crazy. I'm missing the chest piece for it and its no where to be found, no clue where to look for it or where to farm it. It's funny, cause few of my friends also are missing one piece for this set and it's again a chest piece. I've been looking for someone who've completed the entire Helius set but no luck so far.

It might be funny or crazy, call it as you like, but I have freaking dreams about this now, every night I have a dream where I found the last piece of this damn set. I had this dream three nights in a row now :D

Sera O

Banned
Yeah tell me about farming the sets mate lol I'm afraid that there is one set in the game I won't be able to complete, the damn Helius set and it's just driving me crazy. I'm missing the chest piece for it and its no where to be found, no clue where to look for it or where to farm it. It's funny, cause few of my friends also are missing one piece for this set and it's again a chest piece. I've been looking for someone who've completed the entire Helius set but no luck so far.

It might be funny or crazy, call it as you like, but I have freaking dreams about this now, every night I have a dream where I found the last piece of this damn set. I had this dream three nights in a row now :D

Oh I so know where you're coming from. Since the actual game itself is quite easy it has been my horrible luck with armor sets that occupies my thoughts. I can't even consider trying to get all of them if I'm failing so miserably at even getting one D: Good luck with that!

ZZMitch

Lmao...That was funny..but basically he hit on the main points of the games issues. Camera and Difficulty. He admits that it looks really good, but it obstructed by the camera and goes on to talk about difficulty is non-existent. His reviews are generally good and funny and overall he liked the game.

Yeah, I was actually surprised at how positive the review was compared to some of his other ones.

Baby's First Skyrim? I'll take it.

Twinduct

So finally hit it ... the part where I'm just so strong that nothing (except a boss or two) brings me even close to being killed. Went with everything in might.

So though I might start over doing a full finesse (or a finesse/ sorc combo).
Question time, if I just follow the main quest, won't this lock up all the zones to lower levels?

I though about doing this, err avoiding the side quests/ guild quests. But the way scaling works would actually screw me over right?

ZZMitch

Haven't played this in over a week because I went home for spring break, super excited to start back up again! About to get started with the House of Valor faction quest.

Top Bottom