• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

After all these years I still firmly believe that Driveclub has the best environments and vegetation in any racer.

I see new racing games getting released and the trees and vegetation are all 2D and quite shitty looking.

Where as the trees and vegetation in Driveclub actually look real and 3D when you get up close. It feels like you could park your car, jump over the barrier and take a walk in the forests.

These are just a bunch of screenshots ive saved over a while that other people have posted to illustrate what I mean.

KAtl8h.jpg

4KNiT4.jpg

jKxtIF.jpg

IqM2BW.jpg

7UaWxq.jpg

qQllrW.jpg

XNE73O.jpg

bPZNnV.png

tFUcTD.jpg

beMSPB.png

Wmggpq.png

IpO7QL.jpg

LENZEh.jpg

hFtKnL.jpg

PvH9Kb.jpg

r5y63r.jpg

C08LMJ.jpg

mBHEbF.jpg

u8X6mT.jpg

1Nhk2h.jpg

QjgFL0.jpg

jxfI8K.png

diCBnd.jpg

bRe0Ds.jpg

d1IB3Z.jpg

Does any other racing game even come close?

I know these are fancy photomode screenshots that clear up the image quality a bit but the actual vegetation doesn't change in that mode.

ghibli99

Every time I see Driveclub screenshots, I think I have to give the game another chance. Then I do and quickly lose interest. Something about it has never felt right to me, despite numerous attempts to make it click. But yeah, game looks amazing.

Oddly enough this is one of the few games that I feel looks pretty bad now on my 4KTV. Game looks jaggy as hell on an X800D.

I remember really being wow'd by it on my Panny plasma. Wish it got a Pro patch or something to add AA or up the res.

VanWinkle

Completely agreed. But I mean, we ARE still in the same generation.

Only big issue this game had visually was the image quality. Pretty rough. It was also a liiitle more visually inconsistent than I like.

Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.

Indeed it does, for the most part. Shame we'll never get a sequel. One of my favorite racers ever.

Edit: Actually, I forgot about FH3. It also has pretty great environments and vegetation.

Game was so underrated. So good. One of my favorite racing games in years. Shame what happened to Evo. Was really wanting a follow-up.

Evolution knew how to make racing games. Such a shame they got disbanded. They were one of the most talented studios in terms of graphics + gameplay I think I'd ever seen.

It's crazy how rocky Driveclub's start was with the PS Plus debacle, but it might still be the best racing game this gen.

Such a gem.
Well, know that a large part of the team was brought aboard Codemasters to work on a project of their own. Looking forward to see where that all goes.

Tinúviel

It’s sad that we’ll never get Pro patch let alone sequel.

Game has stunning visuals but it desperately needs proper AA and AF.

Mohasus

Played it for the first time this year. And I was really disappointed in the graphics department. Sure, those screenshots look nice, but most of the time the game is ugly. I guess the devs noticed it too, so they made it rain in most races.

https://youtu.be/16l7f6Nqzcc?t=12
The textures on those rocks look like something from PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't think it is the looker people make it to be.

Crayon

I feel kind of bad for never trying this. I love motorstorm. I guess it's not too late. I should pick it up.

VanWinkle

Played it for the first time this year. And I was really disappointed in the graphics department. Sure, those screenshots look nice, but most of the time the game is ugly. I guess the devs noticed it too, so they made it rain in most races.

https://youtu.be/16l7f6Nqzcc?t=12
The textures on those rocks look like something from PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I just don't think it is the looker people make it to be.

I never understand why the people that decry the graphics in this game always show videos/screenshots during the ugliest time of day and with no weather. Like, EVERY TIME it's midday and sunny.

And I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means. It's just that sunny midday is pretty much the only time the game looks rough and even then not always.

Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.

Synth

I never understand why the people that decry the graphics in this game always show videos/screenshots during the ugliest time of day and with no weather. Like, EVERY TIME it's midday and sunny.

And I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means. It's just that sunny midday is pretty much the only time the game looks rough and even then not always.

Probably because sunny midday is the clearest of conditions, lacking the elements that hide the IQ and texture weaknesses?

Game looks better the less you can make out.

dugdug

Banned
One of the favorite driving games of all time.

I understand they struggled with development, but, man, I really think Sony blew it when they shut Evolution down. Driveclub 2 could have been something special.

Game is still probably one of the best looking games on the platform.

Yeah, those photomode screenshots look significantly better than what I remember seeing in actual gameplay. Beautiful game regardless though.

Sygma

1RZrHkt.jpg

Just my random contribution.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there

Arondight

The environments are definitely dependent on the lighting settings. Night, morning and afternoons most particularly when the sun is on an angle and showing quite a bit of shadow and far more vibrant and colourful look brilliant even without weather but it's not going to look great in mid day settings or when say the mountains cover the sunlight giving it a muted look which I constantly see people who disagree with Graphics post. The only thing I'd say hurts the game is generally the IQ in particular aliasing but I remember being fairly impressed with the foliage particularly Japan and Canada. I've played Forza 6, PC and DC still is the top for me in particular environments especially in how dense it looks as well.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there

You can, unfortunately, their dedication to have everything simulated without any tricks became a problem when there can be times that you're driving in suboptimal conditions, image wise.

They could use what Horizon did, artificially fast forward the time where the lighting makes everything look shit, to when they reach one of the day's golden moments.

Tagyhag

Yeah the rainy races were so good. I'm really curious if Sony will end up doing something for PS5.

Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:

I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.

Well it's photo mode aka bullshots.

That's my only gripe with photo mode in games, what you see is not what you get. :p

onQ123

1RZrHkt.jpg

I hope this picture wasn't an attempt to contradict what the OP said lol

Nah Forza Horizon says hi
Love em both, but even when I put a ton of hours into Horizon - and believe me I have - I find myself wanting to go back to DC. The handling is unique for sure, but I just find that it grabs me more and holds on to me for longer.

More on topic, the detail in DC's environments is batshit, as you can see in what must be thousands of screens now in the various console screenshot threads. Its nuts that Evo put that much effort in for what most players will just fly on by.

jaypah

It was kind of hit or miss graphically. I don't want to say muddy because that seems like the cliche but....muddy. Still shots look great, weather in-game looked great, IQ aside a lot of the conditions looked great. The artists did an amazing job and the different parts (IQ aside) come together for what is probably the best looking racing game released so far. Forza 7 can't match it in every category but after running the 4k HDR clips through my tv's media player I think F7 may have the better all around package. But someone posted some shots of the trackside details of F7 in another thread and they were nowhere near DriveClub. DriveClub has environments outside of the race track that are so good I can imagine them being levels in a non-racing game.

Bravestarr

Neo Member
Your screenshots remind me that Driveclub still has no PS4 Pro patch... and will never get one because the developer is no longer in charge for the game.

Stil a great game with great graphics.

I hope this picture wasn't an attempt to contradict what the OP said lol

Pri sure that's a Forza Horizon 3 shot. And outside of photomode, yeah, I'd say FH3 holds up against Driveclub. Though I feel like Playground Games employ some illusory wizardry there.

Top Bottom