• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Blue-kun

Nice OT, can't wait to play it tomorrow. Does anyone know if there are any significant missables in the game? I might end up doing two playthroughs anyway, but it'd be nice to get all the quests etc. done the first time.

I think the only things you can miss are the quests, which are avaible for a limited time. That said, this game works like Kiseki -- there's a questboard and you can see how long they'll stay around and what not, so as long as you check often to see if there's anything new there and don't take forever to do them, you should be fine.

There also some Dana quests which aren't on the quest board, but those you could go back and do them if you 'missed' them the first time around. So all in all, aside from quests, I think you're fine.

preta

A few nitpicks:

-the Lost City of Ys is only what the series takes its name from - the actual location in Ys II is the Kingdom of Ys.

-the comment about the timeline in Adol's bio section isn't entirely true, as it's strongly recommended to play Ys Origin after I and II.

-in the Q&A section, the reference to fans trying to piece together a timeline isn't really accurate, since the timeline is well-known and official.

Other than that, it's a good OT.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't every Ys game start with him on ship, or shipwrecked?

Shipwrecked in 3 games, arrives safely on a ship in 3 more (4 if you count Dawn of Ys), and doesn't start on a boat at all in 2.

Blue-kun

-in the Q&A section, the reference to fans trying to piece together a timeline isn't really accurate, since the timeline is well-known and official.

Other than that, it's a good OT.

Since this particular point is the one I'm directly responsible for, yeah, that's probably right. Maybe Sol can change it later. I just wrote it thinking along the lines of "fans trying to figure out what these characters were doing here and how they might affect future entries in the series", not exactly like "putting together a timeline", which, as you mentioned, already exists.

Alas, your interpretation is what most people probably will read it as, so, yup, my bad, haha.

My power is out and i didn't finish preload. I might not get to play it...

Hmm, unless i just take the fridge off the generator and..

Ogawa-san

Just got done with Ys 7 last week, ready to save the world again.

I'll be hovering that BUY button while waiting for PC port impressions.

DrJin

Neo Member
My LE is here.

http://imgur.com/a/HVaXW Album for those who want to see, just in case some people might get annoyed by the embedded images.

I will post something I do have an issue with:

bnKXhJA.png

Not sure why there's two blue dots there...

I just got mine and I don't see any blue dots on mine.

More and more I'm leaning towards the PS4 version since, even if the PC port turns out okay (and rumors abound about performance), my aging Mac mini (w/Boot Camp) won't handle this at 1080p 60 FPS. Still, I hope it's a good launch, and that the PC port's moddable enough for fans to re-edit the script into something XSEED would be proud of.

preta

Do we know how the translation ended up? I know based on the demo that they improved it after that initial build we saw, but the trophy list doesn't raise my confidence.

Possible spoilers: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6627-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana

Some unfinished entries there make me worried about the game as a whole.

It's disappointingly stiff, flat and literal, definitely more than series fans are used to. The meaning is accurate for the most part, but a few outright mistranslations slip in here and there, mostly in item and character names.

DPB

I went for the PS4 retail version, which I almost never do. The PC version is too expensive here, and none of the usual resellers like GMG or Gamesplanet have discounts.

Thud

In both 3 and 7, Dogi is with him, although in 6 he still got shipwrecked :v

I forgot which one, but there is even one where he steps on a boat with Dogi near the end of the game. Then Dogi comments that he won't wreck the ship or something.

Alucrid

Banned
is it me or is the analog stick really sensitive? i won't be touching my controller and it'll keep switching back and forth between dialogue options

Volcynika

Full quote if you can't see it"

Hello Everyone,

We regret to inform everyone that the release date for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on PC has been pushed back due to continued efforts in improving gameplay quality.

We sincerely apologize to our fans who have been looking forward to this release. Ultimately, our goal is for fans to enjoy a high-quality game. We are providing the extra care in the PC development of the game by taking time to enhance the overall quality of gameplay.

If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like to get a refund, please use the link provided below for instructions on requesting a refund:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6695-QIKM-7966&l=

For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam channel, please contact the corresponding refund support for that channel.

A new release date will be announced as soon as it is available.

Thank you for your time, support, and patience with this matter.

Best,
NISA Team

Theswweet

This delay was inevitable, unless NISA wanted the flak for both a shaky localization and a poor PC port at the same time. Still not a good look, especially with no new date given, but man.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
This delay was inevitable, unless NISA wanted the flak for both a shaky localization and a poor PC port at the same time. Still not a good look, especially with no new date given, but man.

Yup, this would have truly been a disaster for both the series and NISA if they'd released it in the state it is in. But I'm at least proud they recognized that, and maybe we'll get a decent release yet.

ArjanN

Considering word was that it was pretty rough, I don't really have a problem with the delay.

Not to mention I barely started Ys 7 and a bunch of other games. Honestly, I kinda doubt anyone gaming on PC this year doesn't have like a bunch of games in their backlog as well. :p

Yeshua

Well at least NIS don't want to release a broken game, they could have announced the delay a bit sooner though...

Maffis

I really wanted this on PC tomorrow... fuck.

The PS4 version and PC are the same right? I will maybe just buy the PS4 version then. I tried the demo and it ran very smoothly.

Begaria

Disappointed that they decided to tell us about the PC version's delay a day before release. Sent a ticket in for a refund and I'll be grabbing a PS4 copy tonight. I'm not waiting around for a potentially bad PC port when the console version looks just fine.

Top Bottom