• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Wow, it's really amazing how easily you can miss the (very early act 1 spoilers)
teleport gloves
. Glad I circled back...
There was a NPC that told me where to get it and he stops you in the middle of the
Fort Joy Ghetto
to tell you.

Also found a neat text string bug inside of the cave where you
run into conjured / illusionary floor

In Act 2:

After I learned my third source point for Powerful Awakening, I go to do the ritual for a third time. There is an unkillable? void enemy in the Hall of Echoes. He literally takes one damage from everything I do and has 2.2k HP. Has anyone else run into this bug? I guess this quest is just stuck now...... When he kills me I just respawn in the Hall and run back into battle as he is fighting my god

Haha, that guy was annoying, he has 99% physical damage reduction. I had to reload as my character was only physical. I just borrowed the wand from my Red Prince and wore him down with around 50-80 poison/magical damage per hit.

TLDR he's susceptible to magic damage only.

Same for me except for the
chest in fire
(it seems like I did it in the correct order),
Law of the Order (I think I completed it by giving some incriminating letter to Johan, not sure if that is the correct path)
and the
dwarf in the cave (don't remember seeing him)

Also
Finder's Fee bugged out for me after delivering the head to the paladins. Did you complete it?
and
Love has a Price
has no resolution for me because my MC is the Red Prince.

I mean, surely the rewards are trash, but not getting the exp and the closure sucks. IMO the bugged journal and quests is what keeping this game from being the best I've ever played (so far), and I say it as someone that's in love with Baldur's Gate 2.

I never found Finder's Fee, maybe because I killed Mummie dearest and her band looking for the elf before finishing up the blackpits and sending the owl. Love has a Price finished fine but I did end up naked and needed to use my persuasion character to pass a few checks.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, that guy was annoying, he has 99% physical damage reduction. I had to reload as my character was only physical. I just borrowed the wand from my Red Prince and wore him down with around 50-80 poison/magical damage per hit.

TLDR he's susceptible to magic damage only.

Haha, thanks that didn't even cross my mind. So weird his resistances would be that way.

So now that folks seemed to have beaten the game or come close to the end, any must have characters to include in your party? Having trouble deciding. Leading towards Ifan as my main with Fane as a lock. Need to pick 2 out of 3 between Red Prince' Lohse and Sebille.

Anyone mind helping a CRPG newbie? I'm struggling to build a viable party that isn't just stepping over each other's toes.

My main character is a Lizard with Warfare/Necromancy/Two-Handed

My current party has a Cleric, a Wizard and a dual wielding Rogue, but they don't seem to be gelling well. I'm struggling to make my Rogue effective in combat, and my wizard just constantly hits my main character and Rogue with his spells.

Am I just not playing right, or is my party just made up of classes that don't work well together? Also, should I be focusing on making sure my party has access to every school of magic, or should I focus on a few that synergize well?

Finally, should I be focusing on trying to get all tags represented in my party, or can I just pick whoever I want and not worry if a whole bunch of party members have the same tags?

I'm finally done with the second Act.

200.gif

The most unfortunate thing is that I often skipped seemingly impossible bosses and/or encounters (like 2-4 levels above my party), but I rarely remember anymore. When I do, my party was already above the bosses' level and they weren't as challenging as I hoped them to be. I need to make use of the notes on the map next time. However, with the way the game is designed, I think we are bound to out-level some content of the map if we explore everything.

You 100% want Fane. They're all pretty good though IMO. I quite liked Sebille, but I played as Lohse and left out RP so I can't comment on him. I've seen a lot of love for RP though in this thread.

How is your cleric working in combat? Are you using Hydro as a CC/damage or just for healing and buffing? Using melee weapons or wands? Hybrids need a focus for their role, it is very easy to weaken them significantly if you split their stats.

For your rogue: get polymorph 2. Flight + Cloak and dagger + the pawn talent increase your maneuvrability exponentially and let you pick off targets as you please. They are VERY dagger dependent: you should be replacing them every level or 2. If you can't find them, steal them from merchants, if you can't steal them buy them.

Wizard is always going to do lots of AOE - keep your melee guys on the outer edge of the fight as long as you can so your wiz can blow up the middle. Or just focus fire on ranged guys/mages so you're not risking your own. Plus get 2 points in poly + 1 point in scoundrel - grab the pawn talent + flight and you can easily get the high ground in the first round of combat, then blow your enemies to shit for the rest of the fight. Use chameleon if anyone comes after you.

Necro/Warfare melee is a strong combo... can't really fuck that up. Keep pumping warfare after getting necro to 4-5 for more damage, and like your rogue just keep getting new weapons.

Hope this helps!

Maximo

So now that folks seemed to have beaten the game or come close to the end, any must have characters to include in your party? Having trouble deciding. Leading towards Ifan as my main with Fane as a lock. Need to pick 2 out of 3 between Red Prince' Lohse and Sebille.

Lohse Red Prince and Fane are my favorites in terms of their origin stories and quips.

Vamphuntr

Lohse's quest boss and the end of the quest was pretty great. ACT IV Spoiler
The part with thousands and thousands of candle sent shivers down my spine

Boss was ridiculously hard at level 20. Used a couple of resurrect scroll. He had 17k/22k shield on classic.

Maximo

Boss was ridiculously hard at level 20. Used a couple of resurrect scroll. He had 17k/22k shield on classic.

Yeah the candles actually gave me pause love how they slowly set it up with snuffing one person's life out then two at the same time then just hit you in the face with the a whole sea of them. Lohse finally singing for you at the end was a nice closure to her origin story.

As someone who's main was Lohse:

Spoilers - LOHSE END GAME
I have no idea what you're talking about. I strolled into the Doc's house,
told him to go fuck himself then killed him in a slugfest. Walked out and that was literally that for my story.

Maximo

As someone who's main was Lohse:

Spoilers - LOHSE END GAME
I have no idea what you're talking about. I strolled into the Doc's house,
told him to go fuck himself then killed him in a slugfest. Walked out and that was literally that for my story.

Did you talk to Malady before going inside?

Sanctuary

Na necromancy exists. It only requires 2 points+point in hydro to become ridiculous. And it scales perfectly with either warfare or int,so you can have two in your team with no sacrifice to split damage. Anddddd yea its physical damage on your mage, so they are flexible.
- Nuke enemy's with blood sucker
- Burst heal allies with blood sucker
- Make allies unkillable for 2 turns
- Major armour buff
- Summons
- Stop enemies healing
- Full hp revives
- Shackles of pain shenanigans
- Weaken enemies with disease. (Which also does damage for some reason....)
- Ranged life drain

None of this prevents Rangers from being better. A dead enemy doesn't need all of the above to be put to use. Mosquito Swarm is really weak too. It's a combination of weak to medium physical damage with a relatively low heal. Blood Sucker is too situationally good that it still doesn't replace a potion for usefulness.

The best thing Necromancy has going for it is Living on the Edge, Bone Widow (a two point wonder investment that everyone can use) and Bone Cage (not better than Fortify most of the time). Infect requires armor to be stripped. The best thing it has going for it is that it's an okay physical attack for a primarily elemental caster, or another physical attack at range for melee (depending on range though, Tentacle Lash is better, especially if it applies Atrophy). Shackles of Pain isn't better than simply...dealing damage either since it too requires armor to be stripped. Decaying Touch? Touch spells in general are bad in this game. There are very few enemies that chain heal so much once their armor is gone that this would ever speed things up over any other option.

Living on the Edge + Last Rites? Okay, but why not simply use Living on the Edge in the first place? Thematically Necromancy is awesome. On paper. The armor system just screws up casters more often than not in this game.

I wouldn't say broken its just really strong for a talent slot.
- Heal from posion, necromancy, blood sucker
- Cant heal from normal healing

But since necromancer is arguably broken, if you take 1/2 necromancers your undead is gonna have all the healing it will ever need.
So this is really strong because you are free to use your healing spells on either other party members or decaying/undead enemies.
And there is are alot of undead enemies, so the more heal spells your caster has available, the more versatile that caster becomes. Having a hydro/necro that can one shot enemies through armor, deal damage to armour and magic armour is extremely powerful.

Are you actually playing this combo right now? Undead in general is actually more harmful than helpful 99% of the time. How does Undead have anything at all to do with Necromancy healing anyway? Necromancy healing isn't exclusive to race. Free to use your healing spells on other party members? How about when your Undead gets blasted with a heal from the enemy that wouldn't have happened if they were living? You have to waste an ability to heal that damage that you wouldn't have needed to otherwise. Poison damage is weak most of the time, and if you're using the AoE to create a poison cloud around you for healing, have fun standing in a bunch of flames on the next turn. If you have to use Poison Dart to heal yourself, it's damage wasted.

what are your optimal characters class for each companion in your opinion?

I'm having a terrbly hard time deciding. I'm playing with Ifan, as a Ranger. But I cant decide on the rest.

If you want to use companions and min/max, then a player character as an Elf, and Sebille as some kind of ranged character (Ranger or Mage) with Ifran. For RP/dialogue though you can't beat having The Red Prince somewhere in your group. It's too bad Sebille's portrait is so atrocious though. Just yuck.

Sebille ranger seems like a perfect match, as she has Flesh Sacrifice which boosts her damage at the cost of the constitution, also grants 1 AP on activation. Therefore, she's better to stay at the back. Beast might be better as a melee fighter or frontline mage (like necro), because his Petrifying Touch's range is quite short. The rest seem versatile enough.

Yes, but Elf + Ranger in general is the ultra power combo (Okay, I lied. Elf + Ranger + Summoning). Flesh Sacrifice and then use Elemental Arrowheads in your own blood.

None of this prevents Rangers from being better. A dead enemy doesn't need all of the above to be put to use. Mosquito Swarm is really weak too. It's a combination of weak to medium physical damage with a relatively low heal. Blood Sucker is too situationally good that it still doesn't replace a potion for usefulness.

The best thing Necromancy has going for it is Living on the Edge, Bone Widow (a two point wonder investment that everyone can use) and Bone Cage (not better than Fortify most of the time). Infect requires armor to be stripped. The best thing it has going for it is that it's an okay physical attack for a primarily elemental caster, or another physical attack at range for melee (depending on range though, Tentacle Lash is better, especially if it applies Atrophy). Shackles of Pain isn't better than simply...dealing damage either since it too requires armor to be stripped. Decaying Touch? Touch spells in general are bad in this game. There are very few enemies that chain heal so much once their armor is gone that this would ever speed things up over any other option.

Living on the Edge + Last Rites? Okay, but why not simply use Living on the Edge in the first place? Thematically Necromancy is awesome. On paper. The armor system just screws up casters more often than not in this game.

Are you actually playing this combo right now? Undead in general is actually more harmful than helpful 99% of the time. How does Undead have anything at all to do with Necromancy healing anyway? Necromancy healing isn't exclusive to race. Free to use your healing spells on other party members? How about when your Undead gets blasted with a heal from the enemy that wouldn't have happened if they were living? You have to waste an ability to heal that damage that you wouldn't have needed to otherwise. Poison damage is weak most of the time, and if you're using the AoE to create a poison cloud around you for healing, have fun standing in a bunch of flames on the next turn.
nothing can beat Fortify just for the removing of decaying and enemies can't tp you

Vamphuntr

End game spoilers -
Malady died at the end of Act 3.

Not in my game. That's why you missed a bunch of stuff haha.
She takes you inside the demon's plane inhabiting Lohse. And you have to snuff candles that represents the soul stolen by the demon. At first there are only 2-3 but at the end there is a vast room with thousands of candles.

The more I play, the more I realized that physical damage triumphs over magical. There are just so many physical skills that deal a helluva lot of damage compared to magic. My Lohse mage is mainly supporting the team with occasional magic kills on low magic armor enemies nowadays. I think it would be better if elemental weapons actually deal magical damage (which is a combined weapon base damage + its elemental damage) instead of just dealing a fraction elemental damage.

KorrZ

This game is seriously too good. It’s messing my life up.

Spent the entire weekend playing because somehow every “quick” session with this game turns into 7 hours. This might seem like a weird comparison to make but to me this game takes what BOTW was doing and does it better. It has that same mechanical exploration where you’re constantly surprised by what the game lets you get away with while backing it up with great quests, story, funny dialogue and real meaningful rewards with your character progression.

The more I play, the more I realized that physical damage triumphs over magical. There are just so many physical skills that deal a helluva lot of damage compared to magic. My Lohse mage is mainly supporting the team with occasional magic kills on low magic armor enemies nowadays. I think it would be better if elemental weapons actually deal magical damage (which is a combined weapon base damage + its elemental damage) instead of just dealing a fraction elemental damage.

From my experience so far I think you’re right. My party is 3 physical damage and Lohse with magic. Even then though the bulk of her damage is physical via her summoning. Magic damage just doesn’t seem to keep up, outside of those few low magic armour enemies. You can use a staff with your melee skills to get the full elemental damage but it still just doesn’t scale as well as full melee. Biggest issue is that melee just has far more reliable CC with knockdowns, magic can’t compete.

I might do a second play through with a full magic party just to see the difference.

Ha...holy shit didn't know
she could die.

Not in my game. That's why you missed a bunch of stuff haha.
She takes you inside the demon's plane inhabiting Lohse. And you have to snuff candles that represents the soul stolen by the demon. At first there are only 2-3 but at the end there is a vast room with thousands of candles.

End game spoilers!

I was wary of Malady the whole time because she was sketch as hell about her motivations, both personally and towards the Godwoken. After my Lohse discovered she made a deal with a demon (that I never learned the details of) I was openly antagonistic towards her, constantly telling her off and saying I wanted neither her help nor advice. At the very beginning of Act 4 she collapsed, I didn't even bother to check on her before walking off. All of the NPCs were like "Oh no Malady :'(" and I was like "What the fuck ever, Dallis has the Divinity and we have shit to do".

BTW: You don't need to do any rituals or anything to free yourself from his clutches, my ending was perfectly happy and demon-free just waltzing in his house and setting him on fire. That all sounds pretty cool though!

edit: It makes me happy to know she can live depending on what you do: I think her and my Red Prince will get along whenever I do another play through.

Sanctuary

What's the cheapest low level mobility (ie Phoenix Dive, Tactical Retreat) spell in terms of investment in school level? I need to purchase something for my dedicated mage since she is the only one on the team that can't use one.

Cloak and Dagger from Scoundrel is probably what you'll want to invest in. Polymorph might be better initially since it offers more versatility, but if you're playing a damage dealing Mage (Pyromancy), Scoundrel is great. For late game anyway. Eventually you'll have 50%+ or higher crit chance, and with the Savage Sortilege talent, your spells can use your crit chance. Scoundrel gives you a 5% bonus to your critical damage per point, so the higher your crit chance the better it becomes.

Hunstman offers something similar with the additional height advantage bonus per point, and might actually be better (especially early) because of the way that damage is calculated, but there are an awful lot of fights where you either cannot teleport to higher ground, or those areas have line of sight or simply pathing problems with spells that don't arc.

I'd argue best mobility spell is the wings of polymorph. It's fantastic as a rogue as I can combine it with other mobility spells and just jump around the level backstabbing people.

Flight is something you'll probably want to pick up anyway simply because all characters are going to want Polymorph to rank 5 eventually. But for sheer mobility, the two points it costs to use Flight, you can instead use Tactical Retreat and Cloak and Dagger to move across nearly the entire map at any point. The main bonus with Flight is it lasting three turns, but you won't always want to use it again right away as opposed to using your AP for damage dealing. So that's potentially a wasted AP.

The other 3 similar ones(long distance movement) are generally better. Tactical Retreat is the best, it's 1AP and cast Haste on you for 1 turn, meaning it gives you 1AP back the turn after. Phoenix Dive is also 1AP and does fire around you, which is usually good but can be a bit crappy sometimes, still it's 1AP. Cloak and Dagger is probably the worst of the 3 but it's still 1AP, the fact it doesn't break stealth isn't great in combat, but it's pretty useful for pre combat shenanigans.

Good point. Completely forgot about the haste bonus. It's essentially free mobility. For a damage dealing caster though, I don't believe Cloak and Dagger is that bad since it requires investment in Scoundrel anyway, but that's more of a late game boost, so Tactical Retreat is probably the best for most of the game. Plus, if you have a spare memory slot, First Aid isn't too shabby either.

Cloak and Dagger from Scoundrel is probably what you'll want to invest in. Polymorph might be better initially since it offers more versatility, but if you're playing a damage dealing Mage (Pyromancy), Scoundrel is great. For late game anyway. Eventually you'll have 50%+ or higher crit chance, and with the Savage Sortilege talent, your spells can use your crit chance. Scoundrel gives you a 5% bonus to your critical damage per point, so the higher your crit chance the better it becomes.

Hunstman offers something similar with the additional height advantage bonus per point, and might actually be better (especially early) because of the way that damage is calculated, but there are an awful lot of fights where you either cannot teleport to higher ground, or those areas have line of sight or simply pathing problems with spells that don't arc.

Do magic spells affected by Huntsman height damage bonus or is just for the normal attack?

Sanctuary

Do magic spells affected by Huntsman height damage bonus or is just for the normal attack?

It affects all damage types. Try it out for yourself. By default you start with a 20% bonus with 0 in Huntsman.

God damn Bone Widow is just so good. Get this spell as soon as its available.

Yes, it's great for the investment. It just won't always do what you want it to do damage wise (it's CC bait), but it's great for a 2-3 turn distraction, as well as casting it directly on any enemy that is most likely going to move via walking. It's also especially good for a strength based melee character, since...well...yeah.

Every time I break down and buy a new skillbook I swear it's the very next thing that drops.

What's this buy you speak of?

Guess who spent the last 20 hours wondering why managing inventory capacity was such a chore only to discover a 50lb box hidden amidst all my loot.

Show all, sort by weight.

It affects all damage types.

I never knew that because when you're casting a spell, the 'xx% height damage bonus' info doesn't show up like when it does when targeting an enemy normally for a physical attack.

That's very nice to know. So all this time, my mage has been underperforming due to the wrong skills synergy.

Burt

how do you craft skillbooks?

Full crafting list

In the last game, crafting skillbooks was nice because they weren't so readily available. In this one, not so much. Generally far simpler and easier to just buy or steal them.

Really, crafting doesn't have that much use outside of runes, from what I gathered in my playthrough. Seem to remember not even being able to grind weapons up on millstones or boost armor on an anvil, which is a shame.

Runes are incredible late game though.

Sanctuary

I never knew that because when you're casting a spell, the 'xx% height damage bonus' info doesn't show up like when it does when targeting an enemy normally for a physical attack.

The UI is a bit wonky at times, but it does show up. Sometimes it's some funky camera adjustment just to get the bonus to appear on screen and sometimes it doesn't want to show up at all, but the bonus is still working.

High.jpg

That's very nice to know. So all this time, my mage has been underperforming due to the wrong skills synergy.

Not necessarily. You need to either already be on high ground, or spend as little AP as possible to reach it, while also using spells that don't have line of sight or pathing issues.

i feel sorry for anyone that goes and gets that one item at the level of the fight
the clay soldiers

I got my arse kicked the first time on that one!
Kill the guys on the stairs first with point shoulder guards, they are the ones that resurrect the others.

Also the fight after meeting the
Red Princess
for Red's quest was annoying. I was in no danger of dying but there was so many stuns going on I think the enemy got 4 turns in a row at one point.

Rhoc

Polymorph is so worth to invest 2 points for the mobility it gives. I have it on my Ranger and my 2h Knight. Awesome addition to almost every char.

carlsojo

Flight needs two action points though? Arent phoenix dive and tactical retreat better?

I thought it's one point to get the wings, another point to fly somewhere, and the wings last for a few turns.

Tactical retreat has a cooldown, flight doesn't. But it gives haste! So I'll use tactical retreat on my ranger, one turn, flight next if need be. Mobility is so key.

The UI is a bit wonky at times, but it does show up. Sometimes it's some funky camera adjustment just to get the bonus to appear on screen and sometimes it doesn't want to show up at all, but the bonus is still working.

High.jpg

Not necessarily. You need to either already be on high ground, or spend as little AP as possible to reach it, while also using spells that don't have line of sight or pathing issues.

I see. I guess I missed it most of the time because the camera would focus on the target, not the caster which is away from the camera.

I thought it's one point to get the wings, another point to fly somewhere, and the wings last for a few turns.

Tactical retreat has a cooldown, flight doesn't. But it gives haste! So I'll use tactical retreat on my ranger, one turn, flight next if need be. Mobility is so key.

My ranger only needs Tactical Retreat and Phoenix Dive for mobility. She very rarely move after reaching the sweet spot.

The polymorph wing is still useful for my mage though, as I couldn't invest her in any of the schools providing mobility skills.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished it, 100% in 2 player coop. 73 hours total, we did everything we could find.

Absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Ran into lots of little bugs, quest scripting issues and the like, hopefully those get patched out over time.

If they finish polishing this and do an EE at some point, it's going to really be something great (not that it isn't already).

Renekton

So I made a 1-hander cleric and got my ass handed to me, whereas my friend with multi-mage setup is cleaning house. This game is unbalanced af XD

So I made a 1-hander cleric and got my ass handed to me, whereas my friend with multi-mage setup is cleaning house. This game is unbalanced af XD

I have a 1-hander cleric (Beast) and he's the most important member of my party.

I put a mace instead of a wand for him, so he's still very useful in combat to help with knockdown and such.

How do you examine an enemy in combat?

Square (or X) for gamepad, and probably right click on mouse.

Top Bottom