• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 announcing really soon? [Up: Appears on multiple sites for PC/XB1/PS4]

Squire

Banned
There you have it GAF.

After all the platform speculation, exclusive to PS3.

You're joking, but is there a genuine chance this is still cross-gen, in addition to to being multi-platform now? I know it'd be two teams still, if so, just curious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're joking, but is there a genuine chance this is still cross-gen, in addition to to being multi-platform now? I know it'd be two teams still, if so, just curious.

Doubtful. Outside of Madden and FIFA, all of EA's games have been current-gen only for a while.

Arttemis

I truly expected it to be called something other than #2 considering the sequel is now reaching the much larger userbase of the PS4. Titanfall *subtitle* seemed more logical as to not alienate those who haven't played the original.

UberLevi

I bought the first one for $7 and never played it. My love of mechs couldn't outweigh my dislike for competitive multiplayer. That being said, I'll wait and see what exactly the full offerings are this time around before I pass any kind of judgements.

Doubtful. Outside of Madden and FIFA, all of EA's games have been current-gen only for a while.

They don't have inhouse competence for that too. Titanfall X360 was outsourced to Bluepoint. I think EA doesn't want to give their product into other hands if they don't have to. If they ignore last gen with Battlefront i don't see why they would need the sales for a product like Titanfall 2.

down 2 orth

Official art revealed!

GvKNAYa.jpg

Lol, that's awesome

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They don't have inhouse competence for that too. Titanfall X360 was outsourced to Bluepoint. I think EA doesn't want to give their product into other hands if they don't have to.

When they switched to Frostbite they started handling everything internally in favor of trying to ensure quality.

People usually don't complain about bad ports of Frostbite games, and their framework makes it quite manageable for them to handle it in house.

I could still see some outsourcing on this due to it being an external game on an unknown engine, but yeah, frankly I just don't think a last gen version would even make enough money to be worth it.

viHuGi

Banned
Cant wait for 1080p 60fps goodness!

Edit: I hope the game is 60 ofc because it is a twitch shooter so makes sense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cant wait for 1080p 60fps goodness!

Edit: I hope the game is 60 ofc because it is a twitch shooter so makes sense.

Since it's Respawn, they will almost assuredly sacrifice the 1080p part over the 60 fps part if they're making tradeoffs.*

*Given how Titanfall ran, if they're still using Source, they might be unintentionally sacrificing both to make a game that looks like it came out in 2011.

El_Chino

When they switched to Frostbite they started handling everything internally in favor of trying to ensure quality.

People usually don't complain about bad ports of Frostbite games, and their framework makes it quite manageable for them to handle it in house.

I could still see some outsourcing on this due to it being an external game on an unknown engine, but yeah, frankly I just don't think a last gen version would even make enough money to be worth it.
This game is running on Frostbite? 720p here we come (Xbox One)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious what Engine they will be using. Frostbite? UE4?

I looked at their job postings quite a few times and could never figure out.

They could still be using Source, or it could be Frostbite and they left that out of the job postings since no one outside EA would have experience with that.

Or it could be something like Unreal and they just never bothered to mention it.

If it has a legit, single-player (co-op is fine too) campaign, with full-on modding support (PC version at least), I'm all-in.

If it's more 6 vs 6 Multiplayer only with bots, I'm out.

Luke_Wal

Give me more Titans. Give me a full campaign where we fight giant monsters in those Titans.

Wasn't there one of the maps for Titanfall 1 that DID have weird monsters? That would be so sick if Titanfall 2 was basically the Pacific Rim game we've always wanted.

Did Respawn mention they were workign on a new IP at one point in time?
Anyway though, pretty excited to see the reveal.

Wonder if it will have any time exclusive content to either platform.

They could still be using Source, or it could be Frostbite and they left that out of the job postings since no one outside EA would have experience with that.

Or it could be something like Unreal and they just never bothered to mention it.

Yeah I haven't been able to figure it out either. Part of me think they bailed on Source as they said they had some issues with it, having to tear the thing apart to get it to do what they wanted for TF1. But at the same time yeah I haven't seen or heard of them hiring for any other options. I'm kinda thinking its Frostbite as thats EAs engine and seems to work really well. Also like you said job postings wouldn't mention it as no one outside EA has access to it

Alx

Wasn't there one of the maps for Titanfall 1 that DID have weird monsters? That would be so sick if Titanfall 2 was basically the Pacific Rim game we've always wanted.

There are flying "dragons" in some maps, that you can shoot from afar or that may even grab a grunt for their dinner, but that's for decoration. There are also huge quadrupeds that appear in the background of an ending script.
I wouldn't say any of them made me thing "I want to fight that with my Titan", but you never know what they can imagine. For now Titans felt like a part of human warfare, not really a monster-fighting vehicle.

Since it's Respawn, they will almost assuredly sacrifice the 1080p part over the 60 fps part if they're making tradeoffs.*

*Given how Titanfall ran, if they're still using Source, they might be unintentionally sacrificing both to make a game that looks like it came out in 2011.

Yeah but the argument was that they needed to use Source to be able to develop the game within such a short time frame.

I would hope they actually have an engine more suited to their needs this time.

Could it be the first third party game on Source 2? Fully changing the engine in such a short timeframe, i don't know. Just going for the new version of Source would be an option.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah but the argument was that they needed to use Source to be able to develop the game within such a short time frame.

I would hope they actually have an engine more suited to their needs this time.

Well, they looked at a wide variety of options, but ended up on Source because it was the only option where it was both feasible to develop a game in it and have it run at 60 FPS on PS3.

They tried using Insomniac's engine for quite a while, but it took 47 steps to import an art asset or something absurd, so Source's toolchain seemed vastly preferable.

They had considered UE3, but Tim Sweeney told them there was no way it'd run at 60 FPS on PS3, and EA's internal engines that could run at 60 FPS weren't very good.

Could it be the first third party game on Source 2? Fully changing the engine in such a short timeframe, i don't know. Just going for the new version of Source would be an option.

If we take their comments at face value in terms of how much they modified, that would be about as much work for them as switching to another engine.

Source 2 isn't even officially out yet outside of Dota 2 and the SteamVR perf tool. And I doubt Valve gave them early access or anything like that to the proper SDK.

Well, they looked at a wide variety of options, but ended up on Source because it was the only option where it was both feasible to develop a game in it and have it run at 60 FPS on PS3.

They tried using Insomniac's engine for quite a while, but it took 47 steps to import an art asset or something absurd, so Source's toolchain seemed vastly preferable.

They had considered UE3, but Tim Sweeney told them there was no way it'd run at 60 FPS on PS3, and EA's internal engines that could run at 60 FPS weren't very good.

If we take their comments at face value in terms of how much they modified, that would be about as much work for them as switching to another engine.

Its pretty funny how much the PS3 factored into the development of Titanfall 1. I bet thats a good part of the reason Bluepoint was hired as the porting studio as well since they knew their stuff regarding the PS3.

I will guess they will continue working on and modifying Source. Heck in Titanfall 1 it was already pretty heavily modified to the point that you couldnt really tell from looking at it.

With this I bet its even future diverged. It will be like saying COD4 still ran on the Quake 3 engine.

One other thing that would help the Frostbite theory is its showing great graphics at great framerates on current gen. Battlefront for example looks beautiful and is 60fps. Man Titanfall 2 on Frostbite would be something to behold

One other thing that would help the Frostbite theory is its showing great graphics at great framerates on current gen. Battlefront for example looks beautiful and is 60fps. Man Titanfall 2 on Frostbite would be something to behold

Damn so excited just imagining how good it would look 😱

Top Bottom