• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft posts Crimson Dragon demo to Japanese marketplace, promptly removes it.

Khezu

If you think this looks like garbage, I'd love to see what console game you consider good looking. Game looks great and the art direction is fantastic.

Not visually, it actually looks really nice, just watching that and realizing I have to control it with a Kinect.

Not visually, it actually looks really nice, just watching that and realizing I have to control it with a Kinect.

that's a very sad to look at it. it sounds like it controls wonderfully with kinect. give it the benefit of the doubt, you might be surprised by how much it shatters your preconceptions and most importantly, how enjoyable it is.

yurinka

Great visuals, character design and music. Hope the HUD was placed in a better way to avoid overlapping the action constantly. Let's hope it's just for the tutorial.
Nice to see online coop.
I still play PDO from time to time.
Some aspects have been simplified in CD due to Kinect control.
Dragon is controlled with your body while you fire missiles with your right hand and rapid fire with your left hand.
Control works well but keep in mind that is nothing close to a stick.
Overall a nice game to enjoy if an openminded gamer.
Sounds similar to Child of Eden. I think this would be mapped to the controller :
-Left analog to move the dragon
-Right analog to aim
-Shoulder buttons to fire.

KageMaru

Ah, I see. Well if it controls like CoE, it wouldn't be bad at all. Even though the controller was more convenient, I actually preferred using Kinect with CoE over the controller.

I remember Futatsugi saying in a 1-up interview with Milkman that he'd love to make more Panzer Dragoon, something along the lines of he absolutely must make another before he dies.

He's the kind of developer that spends months and months of time getting the lore, characters, story and balancing of the game down on paper before proceeding to develop, so I could see that he wouldn't be too loving towards Crimson Dragon, if it is forced and most likely rushed...

Maybe you misunderstood me, I didn't mean to say that they didn't want to do a Kinect game, but that they're mostly geared toward casual and social games, with Crimson Dragon being an exception. Indeed, their Facebook page states "Grounding Inc. is an independent game developer for videogame consoles as well as for other various entertainment gaming markets such as mobiles, internet and social networking services. " It also lists Picturebook games: Pop-up Pursuit! and Picturebook games: The Royal Bluff as their only two released products.

Karak

Ah, I see. Well if it controls like CoE, it wouldn't be bad at all. Even though the controller was more convenient, I actually preferred using Kinect with CoE over the controller.

I did as well. By a large margin. CoE is a very good representation of how well the Kinect(old gen) can work.

Draikin 2

Even though it showed some maneuvering at the beginning, it seems like it turns to a completely on-rails experience. Not sure how you'd control where you're going when the camera is spinning around you the whole time.
That's indeed where things get confusing. I uploaded the video the OP posted earlier, and you can see I only took damage near the end where I didn't know whether to lean left or right with the camera moving all over the place. Other than that, anyone that played Child of Eden knows what to expect.

That said, I still have my doubts that this game will be released on the Xbox360. The demo looks almost exactly the same as the one that was playable at PAX East in April 2012. That's 8 months ago, so I'd expect to see some changes if the demo was built on a newer version. We know the delay wasn't due to problems with the game, so the only real reason I can think of is that Microsoft moved the project to Kinect 2.0. Just speculation of course, but I'd definitely wouldn't go and buy a Kinect for this yet.

That said, I still have my doubts that this game will be released on the Xbox360. The demo looks almost exactly the same as the one that was playable at PAX East in April 2012. That's 8 months ago, so I'd expect to see some changes if the demo was built on a newer version. We know the delay wasn't due to problems with the game, so the only real reason I can think of is that Microsoft moved the project to Kinect 2.0. Just speculation of course, but I'd definitely wouldn't go and buy a Kinect for this yet.

Yeah my money is on this getting pushed, the delay happened around Steel Battalion: HA's release right? I can see that game's reception having an effect on all this.

Draikin 2

Yeah my money is on this getting pushed, the delay happened around Steel Battalion: HA's release right? I can see that game's reception having an effect on all this.
I've thought about that, I'm not sure if it was a direct result as the two games were supposed to have been released at the same time. Crimson Dragon was delayed before SB was released, but Microsoft may indeed have already realized that SB was already a lost cause. On the other hand there aren't a lot of reasons to delay a near finished game, other than for example moving it to their new console as a launch title for Kinect 2.0. In any case we did get Crimson Dragon: Side Story a few months ago on Windows Phone, and Microsoft confirmed that CD remains an important franchise for them. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they've been working on all this time.

-PXG-

"Hey folks, we're releasing a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon!"

AAAAAHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! SHIT JUST GOT REAL, SON!!!!!

"Even better, the only way to experience our game is with the amazing Kinect sensor!"

Oh....fuck.....

Seriously, if they tighten this puppy up, I might seriously think about getting a Kinect for this. It would have to be REALLY good though. I still can't justify buying that fucking thing. Maybe if my GF lived with me, or if I had friends over ALL the time, I'd get it for Dance Central. But just me, forget it.

I've thought about that, I'm not sure if it was a direct result as the two games were supposed to have been released at the same time. Crimson Dragon was delayed before SB was released, but Microsoft may indeed have already realized that SB was already a lost cause. On the other hand there aren't a lot of reasons to delay a near finished game, other than for example moving it to their new console as a launch title for Kinect 2.0. In any case we did get Crimson Dragon: Side Story a few months ago on Windows Phone, and Microsoft confirmed that CD remains an important franchise for them. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they've been working on all this time.

I meant that Steel Battalion's failings as a Kinect game may have made them consider pushing their only "profile" Kinect game left onto a system where it might actually work as intended rather than wasting the decent amount of attention the game has received. Especially if they want to turn this into a franchise (Crimson Dragon RPG please).

With how scaleable UE3 is supposed to be for next-gen, it could be an easy port.

Syriel

Anyone know if MS invalidated the already downloaded copies of the demo (like they did w/the RE5 demo way back)?

Wondering if it's worth the time to track down a copy from someone who already snagged it.

well pretty positive response figured it was going to just be a xbox bashing in here, good stuff - really want to get this game as well.

jediyoshi

4Eioy.gif

Alec

It's odd that they took out controller support...I played an early alpha of the game and it fully supported the controller.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Well it's definitely pretty, and looks like it plays like Panzer should, but the whole thing really screams shoestring budget. The incredibly out of place and very un-panzeresque interface, the lack of voice acting, the lack of small details and animations, etc. Plus the whole kinect thing which guarantees I will never ever play it. :(

Here's hoping the man gets another change to make a proper PD game once more, or god willing, a sequel to Azel.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The incredibly out of place and very un-panzeresque interface

Yes, by far was the blip blooping interface with gaudy cyberpunk/Matrix backgrounds the worst aspect of that video. That combined with the awful writing that made it sound like a standard squad shooter rather than anything in an alien world with medieval overtones like the Panzer games.

duckroll

So this, along with the other weird things going on with the game over the last few months make me wonder what's really going on here.

- The game was due for release in Japan around June 2012

- It was apparently finished and ready to go, they started marketing it on JP XBL for a few months, with playable stuff at events and so on

- A week before the release they promptly delayed the game indefinitely, taking everything down

- The developer mentions on their website that the delay has to do with business reasons meant to enhance the success of the "franchise" in future, they say development is not the reason for the delay and cannot say more

- In September 2012, Microsoft quietly releases a Crimson Dragon spinoff on the Windows Phone to no fanfare at all

- Now in Jan 2013, a fully playable demo of the game is released on the Marketplace and removed immediately for no reason

What is going on??????????

Fox Mulder

Interesting, but I think the stink of kinect requires containing any feelings until reviews. Didnt play it, but kinect fucked Steel Battalion was a sad sight to see.

Pooya

wait so its not a sega game at all? I thought it was weird the dragon had those goofy arms.

main members of Team Andromeda that left Sega ages ago are making this.

So this, along with the other weird things going on with the game over the last few months make me wonder what's really going on here.

- The game was due for release in Japan around June 2012

- It was apparently finished and ready to go, they started marketing it on JP XBL for a few months, with playable stuff at events and so on

- A week before the release they promptly delayed the game indefinitely, taking everything down

- The developer mentions on their website that the delay has to do with business reasons meant to enhance the success of the "franchise" in future, they say development is not the reason for the delay and cannot say more

- In September 2012, Microsoft quietly releases a Crimson Dragon spinoff on the Windows Phone to no fanfare at all

- Now in Jan 2013, a fully playable demo of the game is released on the Marketplace and removed immediately for no reason

What is going on??????????

https://twitter.com/yukiof/status/276684688662343680

one month ago Futatsugi tweeted that. nothing really, but maaaybe they're working on the game still and it's not just sitting there finished in it's current form, which MS apparently don't want to release.

duckroll

https://twitter.com/yukiof/status/276684688662343680

one month ago Futatsugi tweeted that. nothing really, but maaaybe they're working on the game still and it's not just sitting there finished in it's current form, which MS apparently don't want to release.

Actually that tweet makes it sound exactly like that - the game is done, he can't say anything more about it, it's all up to MS now, but it's not dead yet. If he's still working on the game, why wouldn't he just say "we're hard at work on it", instead of "I'm sorry I can't say anything at all, please ask Microsoft about it."? Grounding has actually gone on the record on their site saying there is no development delay. They said it is entirely a business decision to delay it indefinitely.

Top Bottom