• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Destiny 2 feels like a sequel or an expansion?

Poster#1

Compared to other Bungie's efforts, Is this like going from Halo:CE to Halo 2 or Destiny 1 to the Taken King expansion? I haven't played the game yet but curious about people's opinion so far.

lt519

Much meatier than an expansion pack but the reuse of assets, enemies, classes, and exotics make it feel more like an expansion than a true sequel.

Van Bur3n

A sequel that plays it very safe. There is too much content in the game to call it just an expansion. It has four brand new planets (returning planet with no area) to explore, large campaign, tons of new weapons, many quests, five new strikes, whole new set of maps, whole new raid and so on.

It's enough content to warrant a whole new game. It just seems ignorant to call it just an expansion.

Afrocious

as i progressed through the game i went from feeling it was an expansion to a sequel.

the major key is that the game cannot be held back by the ps3 and 360 and it shows

Stoffinator

For me it feels like an expansion pack. I think its a very good step up from D1. But it feels so much the same. Same enemies etc. And just one week into it I am already bored. Feels so much the same. Maybe my expectations were just to high. Even though I kept them low because I knew.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Given the amount of new content, it's kinda weird to even suggest that it's more like an expansion. If they reused weapons. maps, planets, raids, etc., then I guess I could understand.

13ruce

Banned
Are all those COD and Fifa games expansions?
Nope there is our awnser:p

People thought the same with Splatoon 2. Honstly in Destiny's case i kinda hoped they would follow that open world thing they first planned with doing. Well they can always keep that for Destiny 3 or 4 i guess. Anyway it's just a Sequel just like how Splatoon 2, all those Call of Duty games and Sports games are. Multiplayer games or games that work don't need innovation only when it really is needed. But if it ain't broke don't fix it:p

CookTrain

It's more much expansive than Taken King, but it's definitely short of the Halo > Halo 2 kind of leap. That kind of leap isn't the norm either.

Destiny 2 is, regardless of scope, for people who enjoyed Destiny and I feel like it's doing a pretty good job in that regard.

The big thing is, there isn't one killer feature that I've seen so far that makes it feel like a leap. Guided games are quite a good idea though.

Strakt

Sequel; has the same old destiny feel with A LOT more new content and huge improvements to the original. If they changed it up completely, it would of removed the destiny feel.

Its also on PC now!

Feels like a sequel to me. There's a sense of familiarity with some asset reuse and old subclasses, but everything I'm doing in the game feels new and fresh.

lt519

Is there any new enemies? I only saw the Cabal.

The only completely new enemies are Cabal like war dogs, incinerators, and the blade guys I think? Every other race is tweaked slightly to maybe have new movement or weapons but it doesn't really impact how you fight them at all.

Nephtes

Neither.
It feels too large for an expansion...and too small for a sequel.
It occupies a comfortable space perfectly between the two.

Seqspansion?
Exquel?

It's a logical continuation of a game that began in Destiny 1 which has been made obsolete by Destiny 2.

I FIGURED IT OUT.
Destiny 2 is neither an expansion nor is it a sequel. It's a shiny replacement.

BashNasty

Definitely a sequel. There's a ton of great new stuff here. Felt the same way about Splatoon 2. It's been really weird lately how people on the internet seem to be on a "it's just more of the same, it's an expansion, not a sequel" kick. Where the hell did that come from?

LotusHD

Banned
I find it interesting how both this and Splatoon 2 have struggled to shake off the label of not being a true sequel.

Poster#1

The only completely new enemies are the war dogs I think? Everything else is tweaked slightly to maybe have new movement or weapons but it doesn't really impact how you fight them at all.

I hoped for new enemies :/.

So far people consider it more of a sequel. That's good!

Van Bur3n

Much meatier than an expansion pack but the reuse of assets, enemies, classes, and exotics make it feel more like an expansion than a true sequel.

Man, those expansions to Halo:CE sure were large if that's the case.

The only completely new enemies are Cabal like war dogs, incinerators, and the blade guys I think? Every other race is tweaked slightly to maybe have new movement or weapons but it doesn't really impact how you fight them at all.

There is a new Fallen called the Wretch with the spear. Can't think of anything else.

Boke1879

A definite sequel. Fully fleshed out story mode, tons of activities that add to the lore and overall experience.

Honestly there's just so much to do. And with the raid coming today. The real grind begins.

Sequel

Nearly everything is vastly improved. Tons of common sense QoL improvements. Despite the enemies being by and large similar, there are a lot of changes (both subtle and obvious) to their behavior and movements. The content flow is great. There's really just too much stuff here to dismiss it as just an expansion.

The Wart

A less shittposty response is that the games-as-service model intrinsically blurs the line between expansions, content updates, and sequels. This is just how it is. Sequels to service games can only change so radically before they risk alienating their existing audience, and technologically they can only change so much in the typical timeframe of a sequel.

Nameless

Much bigger worlds, more enemies on screen, more random/emergent fuckery in the open world, noticeable jump in visuals, plus 40-50 hours of single player/story content easy if you factor in Adventures & Quests which are basically campaign missions available on planets.

It's a sequel. As much or more than any Bungie game to date.

Playing the first few campaign missions, I can understand the idea that it feels like an expansion.

Once you unlock the open world sections and see how much more content and depth has been added to pretty much everything, it feels like a true sequel.

The Wart

Neither.
It feels too large for an expansion...and too small for a sequel.
It occupies a comfortable space perfectly between the two.

Seqspansion?
Exquel?

It's a logical continuation of a game that began in Destiny 1 which has been made obsolete by Destiny 2.

I FIGURED IT OUT.
Destiny 2 is neither an expansion nor is it a sequel. It's a shiny replacement.

Actually I like this nomenclature. It's like a new model of a phone.

lt519

There is a new Fallen called the Wretch with the spear. Can't think of anything else.

Yeah, and they have the marauders as well, but they are basically just renamed invisible fallen that were already in D1. They just have a spear instead of swords now.

Man, those expansions to Halo:CE sure were large if that's the case.

Yeah its a little bias in the expectations. Halo wasn't a loot/class based game. You expected more Halo but bigger and better. For 3 years in development for D2 I'm disappointed in the re-use of exotics and sub-classes. It is bigger and better. But again, biased expectations. The games as a service post above is mostly on point.

I find it interesting how both this and Splatoon 2 have struggled to shake off the label of not being a true sequel.

I feel like Splatoon 2 has managed to shake off the stigma a bit since it actually came out. They basically changed everything they could possibly change without fundamentally messing with the core gameplay. I haven't seen nearly as much unironic "lol it's a port" as there was pre-launch.

dugdug

Banned
I really like the game, but, I can't shake the "Destiny 1.5" feeling off. The gameplay loop is exactly the same, just with story justification and some fat being cut.

But, like, it's still real good.

It feels like a very iterative sequel to me. Improves a lot of small things, doesn't make any large changes, and not all of the changes are for the better. It's a better game overall, but if you didn't enjoy Destiny 1 when the Taken King rolled around, you won't enjoy Destiny 2.

It also needs Prison of Elders, badly.

Top Bottom