• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

MoonFrog

Welll...now that Pokken is announce I feel like there are too many online games in such a short span of time.

We got MK8D, Arms, Splatoon 2, and now Pokken. Thats four big online games in five months. Considering (atleast to me) its hard to focus on more than a couple online games at a time without getting worse at the ones you play less, this really seems like overkill. Especially since both Arms and Pokken are fighting games.

I just really hope they don't announce anymore online games until its late 2018. As it is I won't have time for pretty much any single player Switch games this year aside from maybe Mario Odyssey. Calm down Nintendo. Spread the online games. AHHH!!! O_O

I'll buy them all but I hope I can manage playing them all. I can never do two fighters. T_T.
They're really pushing local get-together multiplayer to push adoption and word of mouth in Japan particularly, imo.

XandBosch

Welll...now that Pokken is announce I feel like there are too many online games in such a short span of time.

We got MK8D, Arms, Splatoon 2, and now Pokken. Thats four big online games in five months. Considering (atleast to me) its hard to focus on more than a couple online games at a time without getting worse at the ones you play less, this really seems like overkill. Especially since both Arms and Pokken are fighting games.

I just really hope they don't announce anymore online games until its late 2018. As it is I won't have time for pretty much any single player Switch games this year aside from maybe Mario Odyssey. Calm down Nintendo. Spread the online games. AHHH!!! O_O

I'll buy them all but I hope I can manage playing them all. I can never do two fighters. T_T.

You can play all of those games single-player.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, I'm ready for some more single-player focused games, but still.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
That Nintendo released a "summer" trailer for Switch that features Pokken DX shortly after the Direct seems to hint that they want to talk Fall games at E3.

This is how I interpreted that trailer as well. I suspect that info on ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Pokkén Tournament will be mostly kept to Treehouse Live and their respective tournaments, with only brief mentions during the Spotlight if at all. They'll have tons of presence with those events, so giving up time for them in the Spotlight seems unnecessary. Still, it feels like Q4 2017 is going to be the focus, potentially with some 2018 projects as well. The exception would probably be Mario and Rabbids, which I expect to be a summer game that will show up in the Spotlight.

Neoxon

Uuuuh
they just announced MHXX for Switch.
And confirmed they will include Switch in their multiplatform development more in the incoming months
And that they asked for more RAM to Nintendo and Nintendo said yes
And that they are working to adapt RE Engine to the console
But at the same time, the Switch missed/is missing out on two Mega Man collections, the Disney collection, & MvCI. MHXX is a good sign, sure, but everything else is a bit concerning.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm in the "let's wait until E3 comes and goes" camp on that one. I'm not fully convinced that Stars exists, but I don't think that today's Direct proves that rumor false. That Nintendo released a "summer" trailer for Switch that features Pokken DX shortly after the Direct seems to hint that they want to talk Fall games at E3.

It'd still be very bare. Odyssey, FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2? Not much.

The 3DS lineup will be what we already know as well.

They're not going to surprise us with anything.

But at the same time, the Switch missed/is missing out on two Mega Man collections, the Disney collection, & MvCI. MHXX is a good sign, sure, but everything else is a bit concerning.

Don't forget Dragon's Dogma. Which I would've absolutely double dipped on.

KingBroly

Banned

I'd say the 2 Classic game collections from Capcpom are the most damning. Like what is that company thinking?

You can play all of those games single-player.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, I'm ready for some more single-player focused games, but still.
You misunderstand me. I don't like playing those games single player. I played the original Splatoon 346 hours, Pokken 124 hours, and Mario Kart 8 115 hours and would've been much more if portable. Pokemon Moon just hit 200 hours and Smash 3DS is at 679 hours. I love playing these games online and feel they are some of the best games I ever played.

Its just hard to see so many new games in the franchises in a five month span (Pokken has 5 new characters so its essentially a sequel imo) and don't know if I'll be able to manage. (Or in other words: #firstworldproblems)

Two fighters so close is really overkill. Its hard to get good at them and playing a different one can screw you up. They should've atleast done Arms in June, have Splatoon 2 take Pokken's place, then have Pokken in March or something. Feels like they will all cannibalize each other.

Don't get me wrong, I am hyped as fuck for all of them, especially Splatoon 2, but its just a crazy close schedule here.

XandBosch

You misunderstand me. I don't like playing those games single player. I played the original Splatoon 346 hours, Pokken 124 hours, and Mario Kart 8 115 hours and would've been much more if portable. Pokemon Moon just hit 200 hours and Smash 3DS is at 679 hours. I love playing these games online and feel they are some of the best games I ever played.

Its just hard to see so many new games in the franchises in a five month span (Pokken has 5 new characters so its essentially a sequel imo) and don't know if I'll be able to manage. (Or in other words: #firstworldproblems)

Two fighters so close is really overkill. Its hard to get good at them and playing a different one can screw you up. They should've atleast done Arms in June, have Splatoon 2 take Pokken's place, then have Pokken in March or something. Feels like they will all cannibalize each other.

Don't get me wrong, I am hyped as fuck for all of them, especially Splatoon 2, but its just a crazy close schedule here.

Oooooooohhh, you're totally right, I did misunderstand you. I agree - the online communities might not have a chance to grow if they're competing with each other for players.

Oregano

You don't have to be fine with it, but you're only hurting yourself next week if you don't acknowledge it now.

Whether or not I acknowledge Nintendo is going to continue to be a massive disappointment doesn't change the fact that they're going to be a massive disappointment.

Neiteio

Oooooooohhh, you're totally right, I did misunderstand you. I agree - the online communities might not have a chance to grow if they're competing with each other for players.
PS4 has like a bajillion online communities that seem to do fine. I think Switch will be able to manage healthy player counts with the way it's selling. It's not just WiiU players this time. And really, we shouldn't expect everyone to only play one "flavor of the month" at a time. That makes for a boring system. Hopefully Switch reaches the point where it has several big releases each month.

ARMS in June.

Splatoon 2 in July.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle in August.

Pokken Tournament DX in September.

And I'm guessing:

Fire Emblem Warriors in October.

Super Mario Odyssey in November.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in December.

They can obviously do more than one game a month. But even with what we know, it fills out the calendar nicely.

I don't expect too much time to be devoted to ARMS, Splatoon 2, or Pokken given how soon the first two are releasing, and that the third was just announced. But yeah, I still don't expect a ton of announcements beyond the other four games and Smash.

Whether or not I acknowledge Nintendo is going to continue to be a massive disappointment doesn't change the fact that they're going to be a massive disappointment.

Alright.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try. I'm wondering if posting on GAF next week is going to be a positive for my mental health or if I should wait to post my thoughts the following week.

EhoaVash

damn Nintendo's E3 looks really really predictable now lol especially with 30 minutes

Final Arms trailer
Splatoon 2 trailer - July ( New amiibo + Another testfire announced )
Rabbids x Mario game trailer - August 2017 ( moar amiibos )
Pokken trailer, Fifa switch trailer - ( Luigi amiibo will work in this game ), NBA 2k2Late trailer --all 3 games come out in September

Fire emblem warriors ( FE amiibo will work ) Skyrim Portable trailer ( skyrim guy will get his amiibo or maybe a dragon amiibo ) - Both games come out in October

indie/ 3rd party sizzle reel ( sonic mania, sonic forces, dragon ball z xenoverse2 )

Mario odyssey trailer --- 5 minute gameplay demo shown, New mario hat amiibo + co-op announced

Xenoblade 2 trailer shown ( 2018 baby )

and one last thing before conferene ends ; Fire emblem switch trailer ...2018

RETro studios..will be Missing in Action ( E3 2018 )
Zelda Botw dlc will be missing in action until the Fall direct.

sinonobu

Banned
damn Nintendo's E3 looks really really predictable now lol especially with 30 minutes

Final Arms trailer
Splatoon 2 trailer - July ( New amiibo + Another testfire announced )
Rabbids x Mario game trailer - August 2017 ( moar amiibos )
Pokken trailer, Fifa switch trailer - ( Luigi amiibo will work in this game ), NBA 2k2Late trailer --all 3 games come out in September

Fire emblem warriors ( FE amiibo will work ) Skyrim Portable trailer ( skyrim guy will get his amiibo or maybe a dragon amiibo ) - Both games come out in October

indie/ 3rd party sizzle reel ( sonic mania, sonic forces, dragon ball z xenoverse2 )

Mario odyssey trailer --- 5 minute gameplay demo shown, New mario hat amiibo + co-op announced

Xenoblade 2 trailer shown ( 2018 baby )

and one last thing before conferene ends ; Fire emblem switch trailer ...2018

RETro studios..will be Missing in Action ( E3 2018 )
Zelda Botw dlc will be missing in action until the Fall direct.

Arms/Splatoon2/Pokken trailers can drop during their invitationals.

XandBosch

PS4 has like a bajillion online communities that seem to do fine. I think Switch will be able to manage healthy player counts with the way it's selling. It's not just WiiU players this time. And really, we shouldn't expect everyone to only play one "flavor of the month" at a time. That makes for a boring system. Hopefully Switch reaches the point where it has several big releases each month.

True, but Switch has about 50 million less players.

EhoaVash

Arms/Splatoon2/Pokken trailers can drop during their invitationals.

maybe but i don't think so. maybe they'll announce a new Arms character during the tournament .

also while this is a pretty good lineup, again E3 is all about surprises, nintendo already revealed/their surprise already got leaked lool. Sony really has this E3 in the bags ._.

jariw

Alright.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try. I'm wondering if posting on GAF next week is going to be a positive for my mental health or if I should wait to post my thoughts the following week.

Just use the ignore filter. I think you make actual contributions to the discussions here.

maybe but i don't think so. maybe they'll announce a new Arms character during the tournament .

also while this is a pretty good lineup, again E3 is all about surprises, nintendo already revealed/their surprise already got leaked lool. Sony really has this E3 in the bags ._.

What Nintendo games were leaked/revealed?

sinonobu

Banned

Tournament + Treehouse is enough coverage to a game so I really don't think Nintendo will discuss them during Spotlight.

Also I think there will be more surprises during Nintendo Spotlight other than MarioXRabbids (although I think it will be surprise for Ubisoft's conference), probably no more surprises left for 2017, but some surprises for early 2018 titles like Smash, AC, etc.

MoonFrog

Alright.

Idk. I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of Mario Odyssey demo/footage threads, for example.

I really doubt such threads are going to be full of too much "OMG Nintendo sucks!"

I also think NintendoGAF is more positive than negative about things. I'm usually a "Debbie Downer/negative Nancy" in these threads when I'm not a wild-eyed fool, and I don't think I'm that hard on them. And I do try and do a second take for the positive/be open to what I don't entirely want.

People were good with all Zelda last year, mostly; pretty sure people will be fine with an only 2017 e3.

If we have a Federation Force style announcement--there'll be shit flying...in that thread and the main direct thread. Maybe a jab in other Nintendo threads.

I think Rabbids thread will probably attract derision.

They're not doing their online plan so...no shit there.

EhoaVash

Just use the ignore filter. I think you make actual contributions to the discussions here.

What Nintendo games were leaked/revealed?

mainly rabbids game is the leaky thing

but most of this stuff we know about/ seen enough footage imo. mario odyssey trailer showed a lot of good stuff. i don't think i want to even see more of that game to be honest, wanna surprise myself when i play it.

Thanks. :)

Idk. I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of Mario Odyssey demo/footage threads, for example.

I really doubt such threads are going to be full of too much "OMG Nintendo sucks!"

I also think NintendoGAF is more positive than negative about things. I'm usually a "Debbie Downer/negative Nancy" in these threads when I'm not a wild-eyed fool, and I don't think I'm that hard on them. And I do try and do a second take for the positive/be open to what I don't entirely want.

People were good with all Zelda last year, mostly; pretty sure people will be fine with an only 2017 e3.

If we have a Federation Force style announcement--there'll be shit flying...in that thread and the main direct thread. Maybe a jab in other Nintendo threads.

I think Rabbids thread will probably attract derision.

They're not doing their online plan so...no shit there.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about most posters, as many of you are great and I very much enjoy our discussions. But I do think next week will be a golden opportunity for fanboys to come out swinging. I hope I'm wrong. I also hope that, even if Nintendo drops the ball during E3, we can all have level-headed conversations.

Alright.

For me E3 week is when i take a break from forums till atleast thursday so that things can settle down and i can enjoy watching everything with friends and then after everything settles i will chime in with my thoughts.

It's good that most people have their expectations in the dumps now. That means they're more likely to be blown away if Nintendo has a good showing, which will make Gaf a very happy place next week.

I personally am still hoping for a lot, but definitely have tempered my expectations. I mean, if Nintendo can afford to hold onto a completed game like Mario Odyssey for basically a year, they must be confident about their line up, right?

mainly rabbids game is the leaky thing

but most of this stuff we know about/ seen enough footage imo. mario odyssey trailer showed a lot of good stuff. i don't think i want to even see more of that game to be honest, wanna surprise myself when i play it.

Mario x Rabbids might feature much more heavily at Ubisoft's conference than Nintendo's, considering they're the ones publishing it. I wouldn't expect much time on that, and it certainly isn't their big surprise/announcement this year. In fact, I don't know why people seem to think they'll have only one "big" surprise.

If Nintendo disappoints at E3 they'll have an amazing September/October event to make up for it hopefully.
Well that's an optimistic stance to take :p

In all seriousness, I'm personally not too concerned as Nintendo, at least these days, tend to announce things outside of E3 and, a few times, outside of Directs throughout the year. Sometimes those announcements nothing and other times they're great. I'm just gonna take a wait and see approach here

MoonFrog

If Nintendo disappoints at E3 they'll have an amazing September/October event to make up for it hopefully.
Tbh...They've given me great experiences these past couple years without having a great event for me.

It is a mix of not making the games I would get super hyped about, me enjoying games disproportionately when I had my hands on them versus my initial reaction to their announcement, stocking up for a killer Switch year one, and being hyper conservative in their announcements.

I really want that Nintendo event that sweeps me off my feet but it not happening isn't so tied to my customer satisfaction in the long run.

Lackluster events do feed into my fears about particular franchises and about Nintendo's place in console gaming in the eyes of third party (Japanese) developers and consumers.

I also am really really starving for a Metroid atm and really concerned/curious about FE.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well that's an optimistic stance to take :p

What's the other take? Nintendo will keep quiet about 2018 titles until 2018? Nintendo has no big 2018 titles?

EDIT: I mean, I guess they could if Switch is doing so well, but I don't really see the point. Why walk into 2018 with no titles announced?

Dystify

My expectations for Nintendo's E3 in short form: I don't expect much. They're focusing on 2017 games and we know many of them already. I do not think we're going to get many new announcements. This will disappoint some people, but once Nintendo shows gameplay for their upcoming titles I think it'll be okay. I do expect a few (but not many) early 2018 titles, such as Retro's game or Smash for Switch. (Smash for Switch is the obvious Nintendo Online launch title.)

I'm expecting an underwhelming presentation, but poor E3s certainly sting less now that we get several Nintendo reveal events a year through the Directs. Time was that a crummy E3 would leave you feeling bad about the company for a full year.

What's the other take? Nintendo will keep quiet about 2018 titles until 2018? Nintendo has no big 2018 titles?

EDIT: I mean, I guess they could if Switch is doing so well, but I don't really see the point. Why walk into 2018 with no titles announced?

They won't walk into 2018 with no titles announced. Nintendo always holds a Direct in the fall and that's where they'll unveil most of their early 2018 lineup.

Edit - I just realized your original post was kind of already saying this.

All of this doom and gloom will probably fade away once we get hours of Mario Odyssey footage next week. Announcements are great, sure, but if Koizumi is right that they could outdo Breath of the Wild with Mario Odyssey I'm betting we're in for a hell of a showing.

I'd love to see a lot more surprise announcements (and I'm practically dying for VC on Switch right now) but I don't think this E3 will be terribly underwhelming just by virtue of Mario being there.

GamerJM

Banned
What's with the sudden lowered expectations in here? I expect a pretty good E3. I feel like a couple of huge announcements (Retro's game and maybe something completely unexpected) + gameplay of what we currently know about would be pretty great.

Pachimari

What's with the sudden lowered expectations in here? I expect a pretty good E3. I feel like a couple of huge announcements (Retro's game and maybe something completely unexpected) + gameplay of what we currently know about would be pretty great.
Because the stars didn't align!

thefro

They won't walk into 2018 with no titles announced. Nintendo always holds a Nintendo Direct in the fall and that's where they'll unveil most of their early 2018 lineup.

Typically they always announce their big tentpole heavy-hitter games for the next year at E3.

It's your Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2s, etc that get announced at the fall Direct.

watershed

Banned
It would be super weird to me if Nintendo had an E3 letdown on the scale of Federation Force, Amiibo Festival and HD fireworks this year. They've been so on point with nearly everything Switch since the reveal.

If Mario Odyssey is able to get that Galaxy magic and epicness again, this time in glorious 1080p and 60fps, all will be forgiven.

Remember last year when all they literally had was BOTW?

Why does it matter if they drop the ball anyway? Remember how many on GAF expected the Switch to be DOA after January? Many of you put way too much stock into marketing and related activities when it is just one cog in the Nintendo machine.

MoonFrog

Idk. January was more my cup of tea than November or whenever that was.

Sure, everything looked like it was far off and there were some really odd appearances but it was the first time Nintendo put Switch forward as a 3DS successor, wrt JRPG at least, which was a great relief to me.

Ehh...probably not until 2018 but I do expect Nintendo to talk about later 2018 titles in a Direct within the Fall. Earlier ones, like up till perhaps March, could definitely be announced at E3, seeing as Nintendo said that it'll be focused on 2017 and not exclusively on 2017. After all, the Direct that was supposed to be focused on Arms and Splatoon 2 had a lot more content to discuss than just Arms and Splatoon 2. However, that Direct could potentially disappoint us alongside E3. I ain't expecting it, especially with how Nintendo has been rather on point with the Switch, but Nintendo does make/get games that just boggle my mind as to why they even bothered

Top Bottom