• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ecco The Dolphin' Creator In Talks with Sega Over New Installment in the Franchise

Keep it 2D!

It would make for an interesting release on the Wii U, since Nintendo is trying to resurrect dead franchises, and with it being a "casual" system a lot of parents will buy a dolphin game for their kids. Put Okami HD on it and the Wii U is like an animal friend zone! :-D

Squire

Banned
Sega is too poor to take a risk on good games, else we wouldn't have this Bayonetta 2 fiasco.

Yeah, OP it kinda like you expect a full-blown retail game with all the AAA bells and whistles Sega was able to provide up until 2010.

This is gonna be a small downloadable excursion or (as much as it absolutely pains me to say it) an iOS title.

I can assure you it will be in DL form with a DL budget because that's just Sega's MO right now.

NJShadow

Yeah, OP it kinda like you expect a full-blown retail game with all the AAA bells and whistles Sega was able to provide up until 2010.

This is gonna be a small downloadable excursion or (as much as it absolutely pains me to say it) an iOS title.

I can assure you it will be in DL form with a DL budget because that's just Sega's MO right now.

Eh, my hopes are high, but do still realize that this is Sega 2012 we're dealing with, so I do have a crawl space set up for when Sega tries to go all "2012 creative" as opposed to "90's-early 2000's creative". ;)

Fox Mulder

Pretty much. If it's not one of their four "core" ip brands, Sonic, total war, aliens, and football manager, it will be a lower budget digital game.

Sad to see what Sega has become.

+1

A new ecco game on current gen systems would be phenomenal. Defender of the Future is a criminally underrated game, and was waaay ahead of it's time in terms of trying to create an adventure within a complex, navigable open environment, to say nothing of visuals that were just incredible for the time period. We need more games like this.

Please. Make it happen.

Fox Mulder

By the by, the hilarious Jaws game on PS2 was made by the Defender of the Future team.

img01009ri.jpg

I loved that game.

megalowho

I'd be into it. Would rather see something smaller scale in 2D with gorgeous art over an evolution of the Dreamcast game, but either way Ecco deserves another chance.

TaroYamada

Somewhat old news, but if it happens I'll be ecstatic as long as it's for consoles/PC. Ed's been working on a lot of mobile games as of late, so I am concerned if this happens whether a new Ecco would be targeted at those platforms.

Not sure what to think about it. I loved the first two in the 90s, specially the Sega CD version.

But they were sidescrolling 2D.

The 3D version from Dreamcast was technically impressive by the time, but did not catch on me like the others.

Plus the Jaws game was terrible.

And I remember the creator saying that we would never see a Ecco game for the original Xbox (some grunt with MS) and I was a heavy Xbox player at the time.

pants

I dont want to get hyped because SEGA will inevitably shut this down

Download only 2D works for me

NJShadow

Only completed the second...the only game of the genesis era that creeped me out.. Although I cant exactly remember why.

Oh yes you can. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQWi6KbhAw

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxXHNJD7wz0

And to go off on a side note, can we all agree that this music, mixed with the slow, non-threatening nature of the tiger/leopard sharks in 'Ice Zone' is just remarkable? Sometimes I would just watch them go back and forth to the music... SO calming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxt1Jlokul8

eso76

Get Tim Follin on board again and I will kickstart it.

This.
Get the Follin on board and i'll kickstart the shit out of it.

I'd kickstart anything with Follin with it.

Heck, and i'd probably kickstart a new Ecco (a new 3d Ecco) anyway. Also, make it look like Gears of War 3 underwater level, please.

eso76

Spencer Nilsen ?
I don't care if he worked on the originals, the OST has to be by the mighty Follin !

Same can be said for every game ever.

NJShadow

Spencer Nilsen ?
I don't care if he worked on the originals, the OST has to be by the mighty Follin !

Same can be said for every game ever.

I kind of agree. I mean, Nilsen's music sounds nice, but I'd rather it be a collaborative effort with Follin. The original Genesis music from Ecco 1 & 2 stand out the most, for me. Maybe a combo of the two throughout the game for different stages? Nilsen did work on the first as well, so a collaboration would be IDEAL.

destrudo

Awesome, they can finally wrap up the cliff hanger from 2, lol. I'm actually pretty hyped for this. I just played them last year because of this thread on GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373560 The games kind of reminded me of how I felt when I played Super Metroid - being isolated in dark environments with really oppressive atmosphere. Surprisingly creepy games.

Make it 2D with HD sprites and I'm sold.

Also, who did the soundtrack for the Sega CD versions? Those were really good too.

The Vents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJ_1Q1WJy0&feature=relmfu
Title Screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfosZOF2gA

The_Lump

Banned
LOL

edit : I don't want to be misinterpreted : it's an interesting op. But the "early scribble" is fantastic.

Yeah that is the worst dolphin drawing in history right there. I've seen fingerless blind chimps draw more convincing cetaceans.

And they were more into portraiture.

Despera

Banned
I never played any of the Ecco games, but I've chillaxed to the soundtracks. A 2D sequel could be interesting.

Wii U exclusive, Nintendo steals your games again :O
Actually, I'd be much more interested in the game if it was for the Wii U and utilized the controller touchscreen in a creative way.

destrudo

It was never a marketable commodity. Back when it was new it was like "wha..??"

It's true. I remember not playing them as a kid because I had no interest in being a dolphin swimming around doing tricks. It comes off as a completely different game than it was.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's true. I remember not playing them as a kid because I had no interest in being a dolphin swimming around doing tricks. It comes off as a completely different game than it was.
Even though it was basically a 2D platformer, the fact that it started a dolphin gave the impression of being a bit like an edutainment or "blue ocean" (no pun intended) game. It was just such an odd, non-core gamer choice....

Suairyu

Banned
Ecco has one of the best narratives in gaming, modern or old. True facts.

Ecco for the Dreamcast was dogshit. Truer facts.

I'm not excited by any rumblings of new Ecco games. Truest facts.

Top Bottom