• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first exposure to Nintendo was later Game&Watch systems, my second was third party Mario Bros., and my third was the fabled NES with Super Mario Bros. I remember having trouble understanding the glory of scrolling in a platformer when my school-mates were describing it to me on the bus.

They could have just talked about this version to avoid confusing you.

HylianTom

Banned
Interesting. I didn't realize that there were actually two big market crashes in the early days of the video game industry. The one everybody knows about was the transition from generation 2 (led by the Atari 2600) to generation 3 (led by the NES), but the transition from generation 1 to generation 2 also resulted in a crash.

I think these two events are good to bring up if you hear anybody suggesting that gaming is dying. We're in a transition period at the moment, and many folks don't seem to understand that sales going down is pretty normal in this circumstance and, in fact, somtimes far worse.

This is why I make it a point to try to choose my words carefully when talking about this subject. I say "Nintendo just needs to make it through this transitional period" instead of "Nintendo's gotta survive this big, bad crash and then they'll inherit the gaming earty, muahahaha!"

This is why I make it a point to try to choose my words carefully when talking about this subject. I say "Nintendo just needs to make it through this transitional period" instead of "Nintendo's gotta survive this big, bad crash and then they'll inherit the gaming earty, muahahaha!"

Is that a portmanteau of "earth" and "party"? Because the word works more or less both ways in your sentence. :)

HylianTom

Banned
My first exposure to Nintendo was later Game&Watch systems, my second was third party Mario Bros., and my third was the fabled NES with Super Mario Bros. I remember having trouble understanding the glory of scrolling in a platformer when my school-mates were describing it to me on the bus.

When I first bought Mario Bros for the 2600, I for some stupid little kid reason thought I was getting the "super" version I saw in the arcade. Imagine my disappointment when I got home, ripped the box open, put in the cartridge, and found.. Mario Bros.

Thankfully, I got over the disappointment pretty quickly and ended-up spending lots of time bumpin' off koopas and katydids.

;)

and just for the lulz I'll repost nibel's mock up:

UeTtm.jpg

really is a good starting point. Info available at a glance, as it should be, and it's simple and clean. I don't think it's perfect though, it's a bit off, but it's close.

Judging by the changes to Nintendo's websites, the Wii Entertainment System will have a fresh clean look

Back in the '90/91 season I saved up my allowance money and bought the G&W version of Super Mario Bros (KMart had it on clearance so I was able to get it for only about 20 bucks) and that held me over for about 5 months until we bought our NES in April of 1991 later that year (I have a crazy good memory for these things). It's seriously the best LCD game I ever played, it had authentic scrolling platforming gameplay, separate worlds and even warp zones! I sold it in the lead up to getting the NES, but after many years I got nostalgic so I bought another one off eBay last summer, wasn't cheap this time. Here's a pic (system was mint but box is scuffed):

7c592c47.jpg

AzaK said:
Agreed. I'm happy to do the swinging.

No, allow me:

tumblr_lli9quilaP1qduewro1_500.gif

"Wii Entertainment System" is seems like it'd be even more confusing than Wii U, it just sounds like a formal way of referring to the existing Wii. They'd have to stick purely to the WES branding, and if they do, what's the point of keeping the Wii name... very confusing.

Maybe they're taking a page out of Apple's "the new iPad" labeling? Or at least the same rough idea.

Nibel again (there's only one more after this one, and it's going to be the best one!):
This seems extremely Nintendo to me. It makes you do something quirky with the controller, it'll be chunky and limited in usefulness, and will make hardcore gamers complain.

Again, very Nintendo.

"Wii Entertainment System" is seems like it'd be even more confusing than Wii U, it just sounds like a formal way of referring to the existing Wii. They'd have to stick purely to the WES branding, and if they do, what's the point of keeping the Wii name... very confusing.

No one gets confisued with iPhones, iPads, and iPods all having the same names for each iteration...

Wii U is confusing because it is more inline with pheriphal naming than console naming. plus the Wii U logo sucks!

No one gets confisued with iPhones, iPads, and iPods all having the same names for each iteration...

Wii U is confusing because it is more inline with pheriphal naming than console naming. plus the Wii U logo sucks!

Maybe "Wii Entertainment System" is the name for the non-gaming feature set, not for the console itself. The 26th will be a blowout on the extended capabilities, like universal control, Internet service streaming, social media, etc..

You're completely ignoring the fact that they've been numbered up until the recent iPad (unless something's changed with that, I don't follow Apple that closely), barring a few drastic changes to the Shuffle line?

Wii Entertainment System sounds kind of cool at first blush, but really, it would be worse than Wii U. Nobody called the Nintendo Entertainment System by its full name, most everyone just called it "Nintendo." Everyone would call the new system "Wii." Back to mega confusion.

If they insist on keeping the Wii moniker, then Super Wii is still probably the best choice.

Isn't the 26th the day of Nintendo's briefing?

Yes, and it seems like they will be using the briefing to announce new thing about the Wii Entertainment System.

What is the Japan writing next to the Wii for that line item? Usually Nintendo only shows Wii, much like how they are for DS and 3DS in the picture.

You're completely ignoring the fact that they've been numbered up until the recent iPad (unless something's changed with that, I don't follow Apple that closely), barring a few drastic changes to the Shuffle line?
naw the new ipad is referred to as just that, "the new ipad". But Apple can get away with it because of their masterful marketing. Nintendo would have more trouble for sheezy.

i'd rather they call it wii cafe than wii u

COULD I POSSIBLY REITERATE THAT it does not necessarily refer to the name of the console. As I posted a few bits above here, it could refer just to something associated with the console, like the non-gaming software set. After all, an "Entertainment System" outside the historical scope of Nintendo is basicallyjust the place in your living room where you put your TV and stereo and soforth.

tl;dr: Please talk about something other than "I think this is a great/bad idea for a console name". Speculate, people!

I really hate to be the one to ask it (since I don't exactly follow this Wii U thread "community" that seems to be going on, making hype gifs and planning the E3 threads months in advance), but are we absolutely sure this isn't something DefectiveReject just slid in as a joke?

but the marketing and carriers referred to it as the iphone 4 and 4S. Apple also does on their website.

Yes, and the marketing for Nintendo will be "The New Wii Entertainment System!. It's better than your old Wii in every way!"

Done

That form of marketing is much easier than saying, "Wii U, the new Nintendo system! It's better than Wii because it has a U!"

I really hate to be the one to ask it (since I don't exactly follow this Wii U thread "community" that seems to be going on, making hype gifs and planning the E3 threads months in advance), but are we absolutely sure this isn't something DefectiveReject just slid in as a joke?

He very well knows that the punishment for doing this is ninjas.

If it turns out to be so, I shall refer to this canard as a Refective Deject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom