• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom: PS Vita has sold 2.2 Million Units Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a no brainer that people would be impressed after first seeing the vita in action? Are you kidding me.....rofl

For reference, this is your own statement from before:

It just needs more games. It was only a launch. A single major push. The next one or two are right around the corner. Makes no sense to ditch its strongest selling point as a powerful mini console. First reactions to a vita IRL playing wipeout or uncharted are very positive.

So you're not simply saying that it's a no-brainer that first reactions are positive, the full context is that it's a no-brainer that people like what they see, to the point where when they have seen enough, they'll buy the system.

And that's not a no-brainer.

Though if all Sony does is release a couple games and assume that first reactions will sell systems, they'll be pulling a severe no-brainer.

Skyzard

Banned
You fellas can have conversations with yourselves and ignore what I say all you like. I'll reply to the logical posts that haven't made up statements for me.

I said first reactions to people playing uncharted and wipeout are positive. That is a no-brainer. They are the most visually impressive games on any handheld system. If the person you are showing isn't impressed, he has a separate agenda or isn't interested in what it is - a handheld gaming device. Mini-ps3 would mean a powerful system with well known titles. How is this not the strongest selling point. This is what it is made for.

Twist away all you like but if you've completely missed the point or introduced your own nonsense claims then I see no reason to entertain a response. It's known as a logical discussion.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
What do you mean a no brainer? You are just assuming that because you like something everyone has to be wowed by it. You are basing this on absolutely nothing. All your posts how is a complete inability to look at anything but your own perspective.

The only problem is the vitas attach rate is still horrible even compared to cracked systems. So i don't really see that mattering very much right now.

We only really have attach rates for retail games though don't we?

I still think the system can be a good viable market for Indy devs, DrinkBox Studios needs to speak up seriously.

MarkusRJR

The point was first impressions. It is a no-brainer. The lows some of you will go to twist things out of context and shine a negative light on the vita, seriously, it's insane.

Common sense is as effective as making it up, in your experience perhaps. Means I'd like to see evidence from now on from you to take you seriously I'm afraid.
The majority of people don't get impressed by visuals in a game. Most people who aren't major gamers just go "that looks pretty" and don't care much beyond that.

Couldn't have said it better. I bought my Vita on day one, along with a 32gb memory stick and 3 games. Since then I've only bought 1 game. The only titles coming out that interest me are Persona 4: Golden (bought the console for this and Other JRPGs), LBP Vita, and Tear Away. Everything else seems to have been given to B-teams (Resistance, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc) or just don't interest me at all. The hardware is fantastic but there just isn't enough "great" software. There's a ton of good games, but "good" games don't sell a console. The Vita has pretty much became my Persona machine.

Sounds exactly like me (only I don't even have any of those 3 launch games b/c I sold em out of disinterest). Sadly the only title on the horizon I am looking forward to is Ys IV. I guess you could say my Vita is only an Ys machine lol. But yeah, we definitely have reason to be pissed off by Sony's handling of the Vita. It's a $250 portable gaming system with ridiculously overpriced memory, and hardly enough interesting exclusive games to carry it. Amazing graphics can only go so far.

You fellas can have conversations with yourselves and ignore what I say all I like. I'll reply to the logical posts that haven't made up statements for me.

When an average person holds a Vita in their hands and sees Golden Abyss running on it, and they get to tinker with it a bit and look around at the lush foliage and realistic water, what do you believe is the percentage chance that this person will purchase Vita?

For example, 50% of the people who experience this will go on to buy a Vita, etc. What do you think the rate would probably be at?

delta25

Banned
Again, look at the Wii. You had some pretty good third party successes, and yet the third parties ignored the platform entirely. Hell, even Capcom had some success but they never even followed it up outside of lazy ports. That is ludicrous, yes. But it's happened before.

The Wii third party support may have also been hampered by the lack of proper next gen tech(porting) and the types of demographics that supported the Wii. The 3rd party games in the pipe for the Vita most definitely suite the demographic that supports the vita.

I said first reactions to people playing uncharted and wipeout are positive. That is a no-brainer. They are the most visually impressive games on any handheld system.

Actually Resident Evil Revelations gives them a good run for their money, you ought to try it sometime. It's pretty much the most visually impressive game on any handheld system.

Skyzard

Banned
When an average person holds a Vita in their hands and sees Golden Abyss running on it, and they get to tinker with it a bit and look around at the lush foliage and realistic water, what do you believe is the percentage chance that this person will purchase Vita?

For example, 50% of the people who experience this will go on to buy a Vita, etc. What do you think the rate would probably be at?

It has nothing to do with the point I made that what 5 people were shouting from the rooftops as ridiculous? It is beyond a doubt. Being impressed means it has potential. Part of the base that supports a turnaround following a price cut and more games.

KalBalboa

Banned
Actually Resident Evil Revelations gives them a good run for their money, you ought to try it sometime. It's pretty much the most visually impressive game on any handheld system.

I'd disagree, but Revelations is still a pretty game.

I think Sony is basically holding their breath to Christmas and hoping the holiday exclusives, cross buy, and bundles are good to it.

It has nothing to do with the point I made that what 5 people were shouting from the rooftops as ridiculous? It is beyond a doubt. Being impressed means it has potential. Part of the base that supports a turnaround following a price cut and more games.

No, really. Humor me. I mean, I'll give it to you, it has nothing to do with the point you made. But I still think this is something good to know, from your perspective.

What percentage of the people who experience Golden Abyss go on to purchase a Vita?

I understand if you don't want to put a number out there, I know people in the thread have been dogpiling on you and you don't want your words twisted. I just thought that since first impressions really do sell a system, and since Golden Abyss provides such a strong first impression, that we might be able to guess at how many sales could result from more exposure, if they started getting the word out.

The Wii third party support may have also been hampered by the lack of proper next gen tech(porting) and the types of demographics that supported the Wii.

This is part of the issue, but I think it's larger than that. Even third party games like Epic Mickey and Boom Blox were never followed up aside from safe sequels. Hell, games like Goldeneye, the Resident Evils and the COD ports proved that somebody was buying this stuff, but nobody wanted to even try and find out what would sink or float, even despite the lowered dev costs for the Wii.

Instead we got excuse making. We'll get the exact same thing from the third parties from the Vita.

The 3rd party games in the pipe for the Vita most definitely suite the demographic that supports the vita.

The real issue is what demographic the Vita actually aims for. Does it aim for the people who have a PS3 already? Is there too much software overlap? It seems to aim for a certain type of gamer who would like PS3-type games but doesn't have a PS3 or likes handhelds better, which seems really specific. At least the Wii supported a broader spectrum.

lol no. But i can say i was way more impressed with resident evil revelations than i was with any ps vita game. But mostly just because revelations went far beyond my expectations for what a 3ds game would look like. With the vita the game visuals are all expected to me with some games just looking terrible (army corps of hell)

Road

Any chance we can add in GBA to this?

i9fFZ2PijfrSu.png

You can play here, although it doesn't have Vita shipments: http://garaph.info/shipmentcompare.html

patsu

Interesting that they say they want to target a younger audience. If so, they should adjust the content selection and price point.

delta25

Banned
This is part of the issue, but I think it's larger than that. Even third party games like Epic Mickey and Boom Blox were never followed up aside from safe sequels. Hell, games like Goldeneye, the Resident Evils and the COD ports proved that somebody was buying this stuff, but nobody wanted to even try and find out what would sink or float, even despite the lowered dev costs for the Wii.

The lack of a lasting success from 3rd party devs for the Wii also had a lot to do with continually being over shadowed by Nintendo 1st party juggernauts. This isn't really the case for the vita as of now, at this point its still anyone's game.

The real issue is what demographic the Vita actually aims for. Does it aim for the people who have a PS3 already? Is there too much software overlap? It seems to aim for a certain type of gamer who would like PS3-type games but doesn't have a PS3 or likes handhelds better, which seems really specific. At least the Wii supported a broader spectrum.

I'd agree with this, the current user base seems interested enough in what is in the works for the vita, but as far as the target demographic Sony is after, that is defiantly still anyone's guess.

I can only speak for myself, but it was playing Little Big Planet that sold me on it back at Vita hill.

I was hoping to talk to Skyzard about it, but he's gone quiet. In any case, I was wondering if anyone plays Little Big Planet on Vita and then goes on to not purchase a system.

And if such people exist, what possible reasons might they have for not purchasing it? Presumably they were simply unimpressed with the graphics, though this must be rare since we've established that most people react favorably to games such as these.

I'm not sure of other reasons why someone might not purchase a Vita after being exposed to it. Keeping this in mind, being the primary thing that will drive Vita's success:

It just needs more games.

First reactions to a vita IRL playing wipeout or uncharted are very positive.

Road

PSP+Vita was 1.4 million last quarter, which would put PSP at 1 million.

Thanks for noticing my mistake! I was looking at the quarter before, which was 0.9m.

Does anyone have Dreamcast figures for a comparison?

If anyone has better Dreamcast figures. It's the worst comparison since it was on the market in Japan alone for basically 1 year.

PSP also got almost a 1 year difference between Japan and Europe, but it at least had NA in-between.

Anyway:

ibg62VzPyUdUvh.png

Baki

I'm losing my mind here

This company deserves to be ridiculed on the Vita handling

Now they go, oh it didn't sell because we didn't target the younger audience sector... WAT?!?

No, you fucking ass clowns, you get goodwill from gamers for a great starting price for the Vita at $249.99
Then you turn around and lose all that due to proprietary memory cards with exorbitant prices, fucking 4GB for $14.99-$19.99, come the fuck on, 1 Uncharted Demo, you eat up close to 3GB+
Then you take PS3 titles, shrink them down and ask for $40 for titles
Some PSN titles transform into retail titles and get marked up $27 (Hi2u Dungeon Hunter)

You say you've learned from the mistakes from the PSP, yet you are still doing the same things and even worse... How is that even fucking possible?
The online store where content needs to delivered at a constant rate is worse than the PSP/PS2/PSX output... fucking ridiculous
You announce shit, make broken promises, and everything that will make the Vita stand out is TBA/TBD in the future

I'm getting tired

I don't blame the business model, I blame the poor marketing. I mean there are a number of different mistakes they made (launching late, taking so long to bring PS mobile to the market etc....)

pixelbox

CLassic neogaf Response. Not only was the Dreamcast cheaper, it was released in a better economy and didnt have 5 competitors at arrival. Yeah its bad numbers, but lets wait until the heavy hitters arrive this holiday before we write it off. If those games cant sell it then it really needs a price drop. If Sony drops the price before the heavy hitters and they still cant sell it, it needs to be advertised. Theres a market for it, but everything needs to be in place. But Sony play it smart with off shelf parts. Let the tablets and phones drop the price for the vita, and the could make phones and tablets with vitas chips and still sell vita games with those lines.

Metallix87

CLassic neogaf Response. Not only was the Dreamcast cheaper, it was released in a better economy and didnt have 5 competitors at arrival. Yeah its bad numbers, but lets wait until the heavy hitters arrive this holiday before we write it off. If those games cant sell it then it really needs a price drop. If Sony drops the price before the heavy hitters and they still cant sell it, it needs to be advertised. Theres a market for it, but everything needs to be in place. But Sony play it smart with off shelf parts. Let the tablets and phones drop the price for the vita, and the could make phones and tablets with vitas chips and still sell vita games with those lines.

Is this a serious post?

Mileena

Banned

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick.

Forever

Banned
Gahiggidy better get the scoop out.

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick.

Why so serious?

Amikami

Banned
Wow, mothafuckin' DREAMCAST tier. This is the new level of bomba

OMEGA BOMBA

Just entered this thread for the first time to see what people thought of the Vita situation, and now I feel really bad. That graph puts it into perspective and it's just sad. It's looking more and more every week like this thing is just gonna fail regardless of Sony's effort, if they could be called efforts at all. They did a horrible job at marketing their hand held and Gamescom seemed to be one of their first real attempts in a long time.

But have they waited too long? It's very possible they have.

Is what they've shown at Gamescom really enough to change things? Sadly, I don't think it is. It's going to take a lot more work to get this thing up and going.

Sony really dropped the ball with this for things to look this abysmal.

You fellas can have conversations with yourselves and ignore what I say all you like. I'll reply to the logical posts that haven't made up statements for me.

I said first reactions to people playing uncharted and wipeout are positive. That is a no-brainer. They are the most visually impressive games on any handheld system. If the person you are showing isn't impressed, he has a separate agenda or isn't interested in what it is - a handheld gaming device. Mini-ps3 would mean a powerful system with well known titles. How is this not the strongest selling point. This is what it is made for.

Twist away all you like but if you've completely missed the point or introduced your own nonsense claims then I see no reason to entertain a response. It's known as a logical discussion.

The problem is you're simply not comprehending what we're saying. You're just assuming that because you like something everyone else must. When you say 'uncharted and wipeout are the most impressive handheld games to date' that is a subjective opinion. You're also assuming that graphics are actually a major selling point and i'm just going to assume you missed the how the wii and DS fared against th PS3 and PSP.

Reading your posts is like being in a time warp to right before the release of the PSP.

We only really have attach rates for retail games though don't we?

I still think the system can be a good viable market for Indy devs, DrinkBox Studios needs to speak up seriously.

Lets just assume they have sold slightly more games via DD than retail (which is completely out of the realm of possibility and sony would be crowing about it anyway). The attach rate for the vita would still be pretty damn average.

red731

I told my friend that I will soon buy the Vita and he asked me "You are going to buy what?".
The marketing here in Europe in our little country was non existant.

I'd love to see the Australian sales numbers. Probably about 100 by now. The majority of retailers still don't stock the Vita at all; seems Sony just gave the fuck up before it even launched.

pixelbox

Is this a serious post?
The vita is using after market parts right? Ipads will have them as well right? Prices for the chip goes down with every chip made right? Was it not smart to use them so manufacturing prices could go down relatively quickly? am i missing somehing?

:lol, lotta people waking up in here. I'm glad the charts are there to open some eyes.

What I think Sony (and many in here) don't understand is that Nintendo isn't "targeting the kids market" only. They're targeting "everybody except the 'bro' market." Which obviously makes sense, because that market does.not.give.a.shit about handheld games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom