• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

For real though, the "better stats and look" guy in me wants to just use heavy armor, but are there many gaffers opting for Cat/Griffin/Wolf instead of Bear?

On the topic of which is the "better" ending, I think there's a pretty decent argument either way.

In my mind,
Ciri becoming empresses was the next step in her character development. Rather than just pursuing her own freedom and galavanting through time, space and around the countryside, she becomes convinced of the good that she can do from a place of authority. That ending seems to actually be a really self-sacrificial one for Ciri, and I liked that. On the other hand, politics are dangerous, she might get sucked into political marriages and really have her hands tied so much that she might not really be able to do as much good as she wanted.

Being a Witcher gives her freedom and the ability to help who she wants, whenever she wants, wherever she wants. She also gets to carry on the Witcher legacy which is really a nice touch. On the other hand, you're basically left with one of the most powerful beings in history killing drowners and ghouls in the middle of nowhere. I could see that being appealing for some (her laying down her power), but it wouldn't quite have done it for me.

Really, it's up to how you understood the dialogue and character development.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

I have to think that if they made a fourth game though, the Witcher ending would probably be canon, or somehow you'd start up the game with her having left the throne (or lost it or have been exiled from it).

KorrZ

On the topic of which is the "better" ending, I think there's a pretty decent argument either way.

In my mind,
Ciri becoming empresses was the next step in her character development. Rather than just pursuing her own freedom and galavanting through time, space and around the countryside, she becomes convinced of the good that she can do from a place of authority. That ending seems to actually be a really self-sacrificial one for Ciri, and I liked that. On the other hand, politics are dangerous, she might get sucked into political marriages and really have her hands tied so much that she might not really be able to do as much good as she wanted.

Being a Witcher gives her freedom and the ability to help who she wants, whenever she wants, wherever she wants. She also gets to carry on the Witcher legacy which is really a nice touch. On the other hand, you're basically left with one of the most powerful beings in history killing drowners and ghouls in the middle of nowhere. I could see that being appealing for some (her laying down her power), but it wouldn't quite have done it for me.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

For me,
the Witcher ending, while maybe not being the best use of her talent and abilities, feels the most true to her character. The entire arc of her character in this game, and ultimately what decides whether you get the good ending or bad ending, is how much allow Ciri to make her own decisions rather than dictating things or trying to enforce your idea of "whats best for her". For me, the Ciri that I knew from this game would definitely prefer to be out in the wilds taking after her real father as a Witcher. I mean the look of joy on her face when she gets her silver sword says it all

Jisgsaw

For real though, the "better stats and look" guy in me wants to just use heavy armor, but are there many gaffers opting for Cat/Griffin/Wolf instead of Bear?

I played Cat school for them crits.
People playing Sign builds must have gone for Griffin I guess.

For me,
the Witcher ending, while maybe not being the best use of her talent and abilities, feels the most true to her character. The entire arc of her character in this game, and ultimately what decides whether you get the good ending or bad ending, is how much allow Ciri to make her own decisions rather than dictating things or trying to enforce your idea of "whats best for her". For me, the Ciri that I knew from this game would definitely prefer to be out in the wilds taking after her real father as a Witcher. I mean the look of joy on her face when she gets her silver sword says it all

That's also how I see it, but
you could argue that for the game's world and their inhabitant, it would certainly be great to have her as Empress of basically pretty much all the known world.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
New Patch Day!

:checks glitched 'Person in Distress Quest':

Still no key drop

:sighs:

Maybe next patch....back to other games.

rififi

In my mind,

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

I have to think that if they made a fourth game though, the Witcher ending would probably be canon, or somehow you'd start up the game with her having left the throne (or lost it or have been exiled from it).

If you remember from the story boards at the end:
Ciri is in "exile" for a while before she finally decides to go to Nilfgaard - so I could imagine a sequel within that time period

Haunted

In my mind,

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

Hey man, if you liked the self-sacrificial part of the empress outcome, have I got the ending for you... :D

Fuck, in a way, you can even make an argument for that ending to be the most fitting with the outlook and state of the Witcher world, world-changing things do tend to come with a cost, it feels right that she makes the ultimate sacrifice instead of getting away scot-free like in a feel-good Hollywood movie, even if that means personal dissatisfaction for the playerbase.

New Patch Day!

:checks glitched 'Person in Distress Quest':

Still no key drop

:sighs:

Maybe next patch....back to other games.
Literally the only quest I have left is a level 14 witcher contract "The Apiaran Phantom" or something. Trigger got fucked up somewhere along the way, I go in the cellar where the monster is supposed to be and nothing happens.

Gwent probably doesn't come across well in GIF form, but I made this video/GIF as a testament to why I love playing Monster decks.

zhWkI61.gif

For me,
Ending spoilers above and below:

I think this is a bit unfair, I mean one of the key things that really determines whether she
becomes Witcher or Empresses is if you took her to speak to the Emperor or not (and of course the Radovid plot which I would have done anyways). If you did take her, she gets the opportunity to hear about the possibilities of being a ruler. I felt like not taking her there is a betrayal of the idea of her making her own decisions. Taking her to the emperor isn't deciding what's best for her, it's letting her make that decision on her own.
Hey man, if you liked the self-sacrificial part of the empress outcome, have I got the ending for you... :D

Fuck, in a way, you can even make an argument for that ending to be the most fitting with the outlook and state of the Witcher world, world-changing things do tend to come with a cost, it feels right that she makes the ultimate sacrifice instead of getting away scot-free like in a feel-good Hollywood movie, even if that means personal dissatisfaction for the playerbase.
No thanks, don't need that ending :p

I guess you could certainly make that argument, although I wouldn't buy it. I feel like that ending isn't so much about an ultimate sacrifice as it is about you have been an overbearing, controlling parent that didn't help to subtly build up the confidence and mental health Ciri needed to survive.

Haunted

From a min/max perspective, Cat's probably the best. All the crits and dots in the world + basically permanent Quen means enemies die quickly while you are untouchable. The defensive options in the game are crazily overpowered. If you play your cards right with the two different rolls, block and parry, there's basically no reason to ever get hit. Even if it's a huge, sweeping, unblockable attack (like a few bosses and special monsters have) - there's always quen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crit Cat build is unstoppable.

Jisgsaw

Sorry
your Geralt ended up with Yen.
:(

See end of first/start of second page, that was the good end ;-)

Villentretenmerth was the card that fucked me over and over during the Gwent tournament quest. -_-

For me it was all those spies getting out of nowhere.
I swear the game must be cheating, there's no way in hell the ennemies coincidently always get all of their spies in their deck.

KorrZ

Ending spoilers above and below:

I think this is a bit unfair, I mean one of the key things that really determines whether she
becomes Witcher or Empresses is if you took her to speak to the Emperor or not (and of course the Radovid plot which I would have done anyways). If you did take her, she gets the opportunity to hear about the possibilities of being a ruler. I felt like not taking her there is a betrayal of the idea of her making her own decisions. Taking her to the emperor isn't deciding what's best for her, it's letting her make that decision on her own.

I can see that point but
at least, when I played I didn't even think about taking her to the emperor, because she didn't ask for it she wanted to go and get her vengeance and I went to support her. In the moment I felt that stepping in and saying "Hey you need to go see your dad...." was being a bit too overbearing.

Really it's only a good thing that we've been given an ending that allows us to debate it in this way.

Jisgsaw

I can see that point but
at least, when I played I didn't even think about taking her to the emperor, because she didn't ask for it she wanted to go and get her vengeance and I went to support her. In the moment I felt that stepping in and saying "Hey you need to go see your dad...." was being a bit too overbearing.

Really it's only a good thing that we've been given an ending that allows us to debate it in this way.

(mid/end game spoiler)
You know what's funny? Only reason I didn't bring her to see the emperor was because I literally forgot I told him I would do so. Lucky for me, as I prefer the witcher ending, but still.

TCRS

Banned
oh here's the new thread.

man I'm still so in awe of Witcher 3. I needed this game after the disappointment of Skyrim and the lack of ambitious big open-world western fantasy games. I was desperate and CDPR delivered so beautifully and so hard. I have rediscovered my love of games and playing for hours. Haven't done that for ages.

I'm still in Novigrad and the city itself and the area around it is so beautiful, so gritty, so detailed. Forgotten is the downgrade which I didn't care much about anyway. Every single quest so far has been interesting and detailed with great dialogue. Can't wait to get to Skellige.

This game has certainly set the bar high for future western RPGs. it's absolutely fantastic.

Terra_Ex

Gwent probably doesn't come across well in GIF form, but I made this video/GIF as a testament to why I love playing Monster decks.

zhWkI61.gif
Yeah, the Monster decks seem intimidating and well, monstrous at first because of the sheer amount of cards they bring onto the field. Once you can utilise the biting frost trick they're basically handing you the victory and you can easily get the AI to exhaust most of their deck in the first round in many cases. It's the decks with spies and medics that are the real threat, they can create a pretty sustainable flow of reinforcements for whoever wields them.

haha

On my first Playthrough I picked Triss because she seems so much more likable. But after a while I really regretted choosing her, because after her Quests are done she gets boring, nothing to talk or to do.

So on my second Playthrough I chose Yennefer as it seems so much more appropriate in the context of the story.

and as shinobi said some post above, under her hard shell she really cares for Geralt and Ciri.

misho8723

Banned
I am a proud member of Yennefer Appreciation Club (YAC for short).
But I liked her in books too :)

Me too :) and her final design in the game is way, way better than how she looked in the SoD trailer (only thing I would change is that the hair could be a bit more curly)...

Anyway, I can't remember the last time that I enjoyed my time with a modern game for one month without switching her for some other game - hmmm, maybe South Park TSoT (but that was a much, much shorter game)

And even though I play with almost all setting on Low (Textures on High), the game still looks fantastic and better than most modern games with the highest settings - great work with (most) of the textures, characters are one of the best that I have ever seen, weather effects are 1*, the changing of moods is perfect, etc..

9wzb.png

Awzb.png

Bwzb.png

Terra_Ex

I am a proud member of Yennefer Appreciation Club (YAC for short).
But I liked her in books too :)
There are other clubs? Dark haired sorceress with an edge = instant win. Thankfully the game agrees with us in terms of her presence and integration within the story.

RyudBoy

Enjoying my playthrough on PC. Made every 'good' decision the first time around, now I'm being a prick to everyone I encounter.

Also, Ciri is the best.

0N8F3VRh.jpg

Top Bottom