• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or was 2004 to 2009 some of the dullest years in gaming.

Can we just spam the thread with vgcats instead of taking the OP seriously?

I kid, I kid

creepy_smile_doctor_who.gif

PillarEN

No way. Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4. Persona 3 and 4. Mario Galaxy. The EA golden year of 2007 (or was it 08). Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. Halo 3 along with Modern Warfare. On the PC we had STALKER and Half-Life 2 (episodes as well), Portal, Team Fortress 2, FEAR, Crysis and for those that really got into it, WoW. The DS and PSP aslo have plenty of good unique games. When did Katamari Damacy come out? 2004 or 05? Sorry OP. I don't think those years were downers at all.

I'd say 2000-2006/2007.
Or maybe even 1999-2006/2007.

Around 1998 or 1999 I started to see gaming magazines slowly becoming very boring. By 2002 I was completely done with modern gaming.

The PS2/GC/XBOX/DC era is the dark ages of video games for me.

This is kooky for me not in that I find your opinion wrong or anything, but I started reading game magazines back in '98 and the GC era was my jam. I know people had problems with both eras but this reverse parallel is weirding me out!

And yet, that's fascinating to me; I'd actually love to see this elaborated.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is a bizarre premise.

Like, I can sorta see if you want to single out any one of those specific years (though, that'd still be kinda controversial), but you're going with a fricken five year period?

I can definitely tell you that at minimum, 2006-2009 was balls out amazing for me as a gamer. And it was also probably the funnest time on GAF as well.

2004 - 2007 had Super Mario Galaxy, Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Persona 3, World of Warcraft, San Andreas, God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Mario Kart DS, Devil May Cry 3, Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Okami, Odin Sphere, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and numerous more I can't even think of right now.

You call that dull??

Drag ha!!!

6359695519589019671187487647_Michelle.gif

It's really only the weird inclusion of 2004 and a couple of years further that drags the argument down. The start of the HD era was pretty bad, almost none of my PS3 games have the red label for a reason. There was still alternatives for PS360 for quite some time (late PS2, handhelds), but when people list Assassin's Creed and Modern Warfare as "positive" examples of late 2000s gaming, there's certainly been a problem.
Agreed. 2004-05 was great, and 2006 had some great stuff despite being a transitional year. But while 2007 had some really incredible games, there were a lot of warning signs of what was to come in the following years as far as AAA.

When I think back on 2008-09, I think of the barren Wii lineup after Brawl, and how let down I was by games such as RE5, GTA4 and MGS4.

spekkeh

Banned
The Wii was the most exciting thing to happen to gaming since Pong. Of course you'd have to have had overview to get it, and not stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalala.

Agreed. 2004-05 was great, and 2006 had some great stuff despite being a transitional year. But while 2007 had some really incredible games, there were a lot of warning signs of what was to come in the following years as far as AAA.

When I think back on 2008-09, I think of the barren Wii lineup after Brawl, and how let down I was by games such as RE5, GTA4 and MGS4.

Actually, that's pretty much me as well, LOL

spekkeh

Banned
I'd say 2000-2006/2007.
Or maybe even 1999-2006/2007.

Around 1998 or 1999 I started to see gaming magazines slowly becoming very boring. By 2002 I was completely done with modern gaming.

The PS2/GC/XBOX/DC era is the dark ages of video games for me.
Dark ages is too harsh, but I agree that was the most iterative generation (well outside of the one we are in now I guess). There were some standout titles, but overall a very boring few years. We had the Atari days, the crash, the rebirth, the 16 bit era where gaming came unto its own, the shift to 3D, then iteration in the time you describe, then physically active gaming, and now we're in some generally boring intermediate space again. Wonder what's going to come next. On demand or hybrid gaming.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
2013-2014 were dull. No way was 2004 and up dull. I can't say 2007 was dull at all. There were a ton of amazing PS2 games and 360's trilogies were kickstarting.

You may not like Mass Effect, Gears of War, BioShock, and etc and that's ok. For others like myself those games were an awesome jump for the consoles. I even remember Lost Planet was a solid game. I had that on launch. So many great games... RE4 in 2005! It made me play my GameCube again.

IMO 2013-2014 were very rough. There were a couple good games here and there, but the wait to get to the newer consoles was a long one. It felt like the MOBA genre took over, indie was picking up the mainstream slack, and people were heavily into PC gaming.

The years OP is complaining about had some amazing console games as well as one of the greatest MMO's to ever come out and that's WoW. It changed the culture and brought the genre to the public eye.

I remember 2013 had TLoU (which was great imo), but 2014 and early 2015 had a lot of waiting. It was nothing like this 2-3 years ago.

The whole 360/PS3/Wii startup got games back in the spotlight. Even PC became a lot more popular after 2007 because games were becoming more and more common.

I worked at GameStop in 07 and got to talk to a lot of people, but I would say the first few years of last gen is what helped kickstart many different entries and series.

Modern Warfare changed the genre and that series has been gone since MW3. It's like looking back at a super giant that already had its time. Now all we see is a copy of what it did with different themes.

True Fire

2010 to 2013 were even worse. Absolutely horrid. Those were the days of Kinect and Wonderbook. The Wii was failing, the Wii U had a soft launch and a soft lifespan, and the PS3 and 360 lasted a year longer than they should have.

I think E3 2013 was the turning point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
2004 - 2007 had Super Mario Galaxy, Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Persona 3, World of Warcraft, San Andreas, God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Mario Kart DS, Devil May Cry 3, Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Okami, Odin Sphere, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and numerous more I can't even think of right now.

You call that dull??

Out of this list, I only care about... well, Rock Band 2 is probably the one I played the most, ironically enough, and that's 2008 (though still within the range of the OP). I wanted to like Odin Sphere but I didn't play it a whole lot (the PS4 remake is a different story, it's so much better).

So yeah, this list does nothing for me. At least you could have mentioned RE4 which was genuinely good (if a bit overrated) and Gears of War.

2010 to 2013 were even worse. Absolutely horrid. Those were the days of Kinect and Wonderbook.
Uh.... it's also the days of Dark Souls 1 and 2, The Last of Us, Monster Hunter Tri / 3U, Borderlands 2, Gravity Rush, La-Mulana, Dishonored, Rayman Legends, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon's Dogma, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon's Crown, among others.

I'll take 2010-2013 over 2004-2007 ANY day, lol. Dark Souls alone makes this period superior. :)

kunonabi

I can't agree with 2006-2009 being dull since that was the period where the Wii reignited my love of video games. The couple years before 06 were pretty boring for me though.

They weren't too hot if you were into Japanese console games which I am. I always enjoyed gaming though so it's not like I suffered through those comparatively meager Japanese years.

I sort of agree OP. After I played Oblivion and Fall Out 3 I sort of lost interest and sold all of my gaming stuff until one day I found out about games like Demons Souls and Bayonetta and I was brought right back in. No ragrets.

I guess you would say this if you only played huge monster release AAA dreck on consoles?

I would say the opposite. Seems like these include some of the best years for AAA while Japan was still pretty strong and PC Devs were now making big multi platform titles in the new gen ( some had already started the gen early with Hl2, FEAR, and the like), but a slow time for indies before they got the ball going. Steam was just starting to be a thing, Dowloadable tiles was a new concept, AA titles were having a harder time doing the generation jump.

Stig_92

Neo Member
San Andreas
Shadow of the Colossus
Halo 3 Multiplayer

I was too engrossed in these to notice anything else that came out so OP I think you missed one of these gems

Meier

I'll be honest, I can't really remember what games came out in 2014 let alone 2004. I think Shadow Complex maybe came out in 2009 though and it was probably my GOTY that year. Adored it.

Oh, I misread the title. That is a huge range of years.. there was a lot of good shit in that period.

Eusis

It was a really, really good time for JRPGs. Then they finally had to give up on PS2 and iPhone barged into the scene and changed everything on the handheld front.

That period started with SMT:N and ended with Demon's Souls though, so I can't exactly say that was awful by any stretch! Might have been a bit weaker for AAA launches though.

ryseing

It's really only the weird inclusion of 2004 and a couple of years further that drags the argument down. The start of the HD era was pretty bad, almost none of my PS3 games have the red label for a reason. There was still alternatives for PS360 for quite some time (late PS2, handhelds), but when people list Assassin's Creed and Modern Warfare as "positive" examples of late 2000s gaming, there's certainly been a problem.

But as mentioned earlier, they were. We're sick of the yearly formulas now but Call of Duty 4 and AC2 were both incredible, genre defining achievements. Activision and Ubi have been chasing those ever since.

Looking at FPSs alone in 2007:

That's one genre, in one year.

2004 to 2007 is some of the most exciting periods for the genre. FarCry to Crysis. Call of Duty 2 to Call of Duty 4, Half Life 2 to episode 2 and Portal, Halo 2 to Halo 3, FEAR, Bioshock, and STALKER.

That's like the French New Wave + New Hollywwod (movie brats) of FPS, a defining period, a solidifying period, and an expansion period.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I wouldn't say they were horrible altogether. But as a JRPG fan they were shitty.

This was the period when the new Square-Enix set in. The days of a new mainline FF every 1-2 years interspersed with several other great JRPGs were over. FFTA series was nowhere near as good as the original. FF VII spinoffs sucked ass. Mana and SaGa series were on life support. Parasite Eve committed suicide. The Last Remnant sucked. FF XII was decent after being in development hell for several years. FF XIII and Versus XIII were still stuck in development hell.

Meanwhile Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were... okay, but absolutely fell short of Sakaguchi's glory days. Star Ocean 4 was almost repugnant enough to convince me that the JRPG genre deserved to die. Breath of Fire was dead. Suikoden on Life support. Infinite Undoscovery and Enchanted Arms were lousy. Lunar: Dragon Song was a fucking atrocity. Etc.

So yeah I would say those were definitely the dark ages for a JRPG fan.

It was a really, really good time for JRPGs. Then they finally had to give up on PS2 and iPhone barged into the scene and changed everything on the handheld front.

That period started with SMT:N and ended with Demon's Souls though, so I can't exactly say that was awful by any stretch! Might have been a bit weaker for AAA launches though.

LOL we have very different opinions on this.

Top Bottom