• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cross Buy coming for Switch?

Machina

Banned
I like to think this is part of the reason why Nintendo is taking this long to reveal the VC. They're trying to work out a way to make this work effectively. I bought Super Metroid and Mario Galaxy 2 on my Wii U but never got around to playing them much before getting rid of it. I would greatly appreciate not having to buy them again when I know for a fact that they're linked to the same Nintendo Account I have on my Switch. There really isn't any excuse for this. Sony have made it look easy.

It really all comes down to Nintendo's business decisions, and that has been a debate that's been raging for years over them and their games, especially on the VC. It should have started going from Wii to Wii U, all things considered. The fact that it never did is a testament to the bubble that Nintendo used to inhabit, and I say used to because it seems like they're throwing out the old habits and finally taking a few pointers from their competitors.

jviggy43

In what way are they taking points from their competitors? (Genuinely asking).

Even if thats true, all I can think of is that Jon Oliver line where he says "Yeah good job for finally admitting the earth isn't flat but I'm a little pissed off it took you 20 years to reach that conclusion in the first place".

jonno394

When you say Sony made it look easy, which bit are you on about? Your are referencing old titles from previous consoles, not indie/specific first party crossbuy, and the ps4 doesnt do what you are suggesting. My ps one classics i bought on ps3 don't work on my ps4. My ps2 classics don't work on my ps4.

Crossbuy was and is great on ps3/vita/ps4, as is the Sony account system, but that doesn't cover what you are talking about. I've rebought ff7, max payne, the warriors and many others because my old purchases are not compatible.

samred

The fact that anybody who owns a digital copy of Mario Kart 8 + its season pass will receive ZERO discount for purchasing the Deluxe edition speaks very loudly to Nintendo's intentions. MK8D has some noticeable changes to mechanics and a nicely fleshed out Battle Mode, but having played them, I would wager that's equivalent to a $10-20 DLC upgrade for the prior version. (Recall, we got 200cc as a wholly free DLC add-on on the Wii U, if we're assigning value to things like pink sparks and dual item slots.)

Slim chance that the "online-only" aspect of VC purchases changes anything here. Slim.

Alchemy

It would be a good idea, especially if they move forward with the Switch as a platform. People are used to tablet/phone purchases persisting over devices. Its one of the weird areas gaming devices still haven't caught up on that I think really hurts their mass market success.

Madao

i dunno what plans they have for it but here's how i'll react depending on what they do:

cross buy: yay. that means i get my VC stuff for free since i already linked my NNIDs to my Nintendo Accounts. would only need to worry about new VC platforms.

upgrade fee: i'll only upgrade the games that i play again. that could be just 1/5 of my VC catalog or less.

repurchase all games: they can f off with that shit. i didn't rebuy any SNES VC game on N3DS after they didn't offer an upgrade fee despite me having the same NNID i used to buy the games on Wii U and i won't pay full price again.

Crono27

The fact that anybody who owns a digital copy of Mario Kart 8 + its season pass will receive ZERO discount for purchasing the Deluxe edition speaks very loudly to Nintendo's intentions. MK8D has some noticeable changes to mechanics and a nicely fleshed out Battle Mode, but having played them, I would wager that's equivalent to a $10-20 DLC upgrade for the prior version. (Recall, we got 200cc as a wholly free DLC add-on on the Wii U, if we're assigning value to things like pink sparks and dual item slots.)

Slim chance that the "online-only" aspect of VC purchases changes anything here. Slim.

So by that logic. I should get the last of us on ps4 for free or discounted

It really all comes down to Nintendo's business decisions, and that has been a debate that's been raging for years over them and their games, especially on the VC. It should have started going from Wii to Wii U, all things considered.

You can play Wii VC games on a Wii U without having to buy them again or pay an upgrade fee...

Velcro Fly

You will pay more than once an you will like it.

Companies releasing games on consecutive console generations for full price at retail is getting to become just a fact of life.

I rebought some PSP games for cheap to play on my Vita after I already owned the UMD. This is basically no different.

The real pathetic thing is having to pay once for console and once for handheld. I used to not care about this but now I think it is a fucking crock of shit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
"Cross Buy" shouldn't even be a thing.

I don't cross buy for Laptop or Desktop, or my current PC and my next PC.
Or between Ipad and Iphone.

It should be, buy for Nintendo Account, pay on all compatible systems the game is available.
It's fine if you can't play digital Wii games on 3DS or if Donkey Kong NES hasn't launched on switch yet.

If Nintendo dares ask for updrade fees again, I'm not buying anything digital on Switch. I already boycotted digital games on 3DS and WiiU after the outrage of the "upgrade" fees for my Wii games on WiiU.

If it's the same fucking ROM, it's the same game. it's not an upgrade. New emulator is a platform cost, not a per game cost.

Rereleases, ports, remasters are fine. If it's a separate game, it's a separate game.
VC should be platform agnostic. Until it, is, I'm not buying any games. On top of that, it makes me very hesitant to buy Nintendo hardware at all. Both Wiiu and 3ds were bought by me at the end of their lives.

Nintendo making some money from their small most loyal userbase that is willing to buy the same games over and over comes with a cost. Fan like me don't buy anything digital, and invest less in the platform overall.

Until I can play my ps1 and 2 classics that I bought on ps3, then no.
I am still bitter, at least Nintendo has an upgrade fee, my classics will be stuck on the ps3 forever.

Ladekabel

Probably not. At least I wouldn't count on it.

I was pretty disappointed when Shovel Knight wasn't crossbuy with either the Wii U or 3DS version. I liked the game but not enough to double dip and I don't know if I'll ever play on my Wii U again.

Kyzer

Banned
If it's the same fucking ROM, it's the same game. it's not an upgrade. New emulator is a platform cost, not a per game cost.

By that logic all games should be playable on every system

A $1-2 upgrade fee makes sense to me. And by the way I dont think youre buying a copy of the rom youre paying for a license, they could do it like pc software and you get 2-5 licenses per purchase so you can install it on that many systems

koss424

"Cross Buy" shouldn't even be a thing.

I don't cross buy for Laptop or Desktop, or my current PC and my next PC.
Or between Ipad and Iphone.

It should be, buy for Nintendo Account, pay on all compatible systems the game is available.
It's fine if you can't play digital Wii games on 3DS or if Donkey Kong NES hasn't launched on switch yet.

If Nintendo dares ask for updrade fees again, I'm not buying anything digital on Switch. I already boycotted digital games on 3DS and WiiU after the outrage of the "upgrade" fees for my Wii games on WiiU.

I mean there is some work to port them to any new platform. An upgrade fee is not unreasonable

Josh5890

When you say Sony made it look easy, which bit are you on about? Your are referencing old titles from previous consoles, not indie/specific first party crossbuy, and the ps4 doesnt do what you are suggesting. My ps one classics i bought on ps3 don't work on my ps4. My ps2 classics don't work on my ps4.

Crossbuy was and is great on ps3/vita/ps4, as is the Sony account system, but that doesn't cover what you are talking about. I've rebought ff7, max payne, the warriors and many others because my old purchases are not compatible.

Agreed. Not sure why people think Nintendo is alone with this. If anything, Nintendo allowed you to transfer all of your Wii games to the Wii U via Wii mode.

Velcro Fly

Could you play your Wii VC stuff on Wii U without going into Wii mode? I never owned a Wii so I never knew how that worked. I know the upgrade stuff was basically to play your VC stuff off screen on the gamepad.

BiggNife

This would be awesome but the reality is this

Magic-8-Ball.jpg

Still waiting to play my PS1 classics on my PS4. Also waiting for my refund of The Last of Us Remastered since I bought the PS3 version.

Why when comparatively Sony offers PS2 games without any upgrade option and put the price $5 higher. Not to mention no PS1 games aside from Parapa.

Nintendo could once again offer their small upgrade fee and it would be comparatively a better deal.

Crossbuy already exists for several Wii U and 3DS titles like Severed.

Kyzer

Banned
Virtual Console as a separate digital service where you only have to pay one time for a VC game and be able to access it on every new nintendo system that ever comes out forever would kind of be way too good to be true. There will probably be a fee and I wont be shocked at all

boiled goose

good with gravy
By that logic all games should be playable on every system

A $1-2 upgrade fee makes sense to me. And by the way I dont think youre buying a copy of the rom youre paying for a license, they could do it like pc software and you get 2-5 licenses per purchase so you can install it on that many systems

No?

If I buy a game digitally for an online account AND the game is compatible and released on a different form factor that uses the same online account then yes.

PC license system is fine.

I want to see what my Nintendo account library looks like. I want an ever growing library of classics, even if not all games are playable on all systems.

Lol. Why would they bother when they can get people to keep paying a silly amount of money for Super Mario Bros. 3 for eternity.

DocSeuss

Why are we 46 posts in with no mention of Microsoft's Backwards Compatibility? That's what we're talking about, after all. That's the model that should be followed.

Cross buy and Sony's plan literally make no sense in this discussion.

No idea why anyone would think Sony made it look easy. Sony's only really done it with PS1 games being available on Vita if you bought them on PS3 or PSP.

I ought to be able to play Earthbound, which I own on the WiiU, with no problem.

Why are we 46 posts in with no mention of Microsoft's Backwards Compatibility? That's what we're talking about, after all. That's the model that should be followed.
I honestly still can't believe it came from Microsoft of all people. The company that everyone was mocking gave us the best BC.

I can play Lost Odyssey, Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age Origins without having to buy an Xbox 360 or upgrade my computer.

samred

So by that logic. I should get the last of us on ps4 for free or discounted

Maybe! Especially if you already bought all of its PS3 DLC that the PS4 version came with, as well. Sony has definitely been behind MS in terms of helping players enjoy their PS3 libraries on their current systems, though I do think Digital Foundry showed the amount of work and care that went into getting it running on PS4 (comparatively, MK8D's engine has zero new textures or other visual upgrades beyond the resolution bump). Plus, it's gotten PS4 Pro upgrades.

This is a whole 'nother rabbit-hole argument over the value of LOU Remastered, though, but a good reminder that it's currently only $17 USD at Amazon right now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Virtual Console as a separate digital service where you only have to pay one time for a VC game and be able to access it on every new nintendo system that ever comes out forever would kind of be way too good to be true. There will probably be a fee and I wont be shocked at all

That is not way too good to be true. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES SENSE. That is what Steam is. That is what any other digital media content management system is outside of the strangely outdated practices on consoles.

I would even argue it would be long term good for business. It would incentivize hardware upgrades. It would smoothen generational transitions. It would lock down the userbase to your ecosystem. It would remove the huge aversion I have for buying anything digital on Nintendo when I don't have any qualms about buying on Steam or Google play.

Right now Nintendo has to basically win over every single new user from scratch every time they launch a new system. Heck, even in generation upgrades are painful sometimes.

They don't have to make your entire library available all at once, but once a game is available and compatible, you shouldn't have to rebuy it or upgrade it if it's the same exact game. People like collecting things, especially classic things. An ever growing library of Nintendo classics is a dream for many people.

With it's current practices, Nintendo is not realizing the potential of it's amazing library. The VC becomes something risky and unappealing because you don't know what the hell you are buying. Instead, it should be an asset.

Consumers now have certain expectations about how digital content works. You think the average person would gladly pay for digital games on steam when they get a new computer? You think non gamers don't expect their paid apps to transfer to their next generation phones that share the same operating system and digital storefront. Nintendo burning their biggest fans during generational transitions is a horrible business practice.

Maybe! Especially if you already bought all of its PS3 DLC that the PS4 version came with, as well. Sony has definitely been behind MS in terms of helping players enjoy their PS3 libraries on their current systems, though I do think Digital Foundry showed the amount of work and care that went into getting it running on PS4 (comparatively, MK8D's engine has zero new textures or other visual upgrades beyond the resolution bump). Plus, it's gotten PS4 Pro upgrades.

This is a whole 'nother rabbit-hole argument over the value of LOU Remastered, though, but a good reminder that it's currently only $17 USD at Amazon right now.

To me, remasters and upgraded ports are a separate question. When it's the same exact game, there is no "upgrade".

I mean there is some work to port them to any new platform. An upgrade fee is not unreasonable

Virtual Console games are not really ports.

Here's an upgrade fee system I could tolerate.

Have a clear way to see all my digital content tied to my account on all platforms and on a browser or mobile app.
The steam library equivalent. Maybe my Nintendo 64 VC games are unavailable to play on my 3DS, but I can still clearly see they are tied to my account. Maybe the Nintendo 64 games that I bought on WiiU required some tweeking to run on Switch, but I can still see that the game is tied to my account and requires an upgrade fee to add Switch compatibility. If I pay the upgrade fee, then I can play it on both Switch and WiiU and I can see what is tied to my account.

The problem is that now there is no clear strategy or expectations. Every single purchase is a risk. If I buy physical, I can keep it or resell it. If I buy digital on steam I know the game will be tied to my account 'forever', even if future hardware becomes incompatible it's still tied to my account. I could buy compatible hardware and play it.

Top Bottom