• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

llien

Urgh, I've been eyeing these for the past 2 years and the prices don't seem to have budged much at all

Perhaps it will change when HDMI 2.1 will become a norm. (hopefully Scorpio will push it)
That basically means FreeSync though.

Scrootemz

Neo Member
Is there any detriment to keeping it set to "for fullscreen and windowed mode" if you're mainly playing your games in fullscreen, but sometimes occasionally in windowed?

I know that when set to be enabled in Windowed mode that the DWM framebuffer is manipulated which adds a couple frames of latency to the output in Windowed/WindowedFullscreen games.. but

.. does it cause the same latency issues for when you're playing in Fullscreen mode?

In other words, is there a reason AGAINST just keeping it on both FS and Windowed 100% of the time?

Paragon

Is there any detriment to keeping it set to "for fullscreen and windowed mode" if you're mainly playing your games in fullscreen, but sometimes occasionally in windowed?
I know that when set to be enabled in Windowed mode that the DWM framebuffer is manipulated which adds a couple frames of latency to the output in Windowed/WindowedFullscreen games.. but
.. does it cause the same latency issues for when you're playing in Fullscreen mode?
In other words, is there a reason AGAINST just keeping it on both FS and Windowed 100% of the time?
You do get that extra frame of lag playing in Windowed Mode, since it still passes everything through the desktop compositor (Aero) before being displayed.
G-Sync is just modifying the rate of the compositor and the monitor to sync things up - it doesn't bypass it.

It doesn't affect Fullscreen mode at all though, it's just something extra.
I expect that the reason it's not enabled by default is that some windowed mode applications don't work well with G-Sync.
I've had problems with video playback not running smoothly in some media players with G-Sync active, and some applications seem to drop the refresh rate down into single digits unless you're moving the mouse and actually interacting with them.

For that, I just created a profile that disallows G-Sync, and I add the executable to it when I find another one of those applications.

disallow-gsyncfbzvu.png

It seems to be more "modern" apps which do this, so I suspect it's a battery-saving feature for notebooks that you would never have noticed without G-Sync active.

Jag

The Nvidia Control Panel has an option to run GSync in fullscreen only, or both fullscreen and windowed modes.

I've seen that but even when I set it to both, it always defaults back to fullscreen only which is why I'm always wondering whether my windowed game is actually running in GSync.

I like windowed mode because I like to surf on my second screen while gaming. Fullscreen makes me alt-tab out first.

Paragon

I've seen that but even when I set it to both, it always defaults back to fullscreen only which is why I'm always wondering whether my windowed game is actually running in GSync.
I like windowed mode because I like to surf on my second screen while gaming. Fullscreen makes me alt-tab out first.
For me, it resets with every driver upgrade but never changes otherwise.
Try downloading the latest drivers and do a clean install if it's changing at random for you.

If your monitor has an FPS Counter, that should let you know if G-Sync is working.
It doesn't work in all Windowed Mode games - but should work in the majority of them.

Jag

For me, it resets with every driver upgrade but never changes otherwise.
Try downloading the latest drivers and do a clean install if it's changing at random for you.

Maybe that's the issue. I update everytime a new driver comes out.

If your monitor has an FPS Counter, that should let you know if G-Sync is working.
It doesn't work in all Windowed Mode games - but should work in the majority of them.

The monitor does and it usually sits around 144 when not under a heavy load.

I posted this the PC building thread but it may make more sense here:

I have a few questions about multi-monitor.

My current setup:
Monitor 1 is my 165hz 2560x1440 GSync monitor
Monitor 2 4K Television in another room

I'd like to have a second monitor that goes with the 1440p Gsync monitor. I want to be able to setup monitor groups. The television would be by itself and when I use that I wouldn't want the other 2 monitors on and when I'm on my monitor, I'd want both monitors on while the TV is off.

Questions, how do I setup such a grouping? Also, while extending the desktop, can I have the main monitor outputting at 144+hz 1440p GSync, if the second monitor is a 60hz fixed refresh? for the second monitor, I'd just want a browser window or discord, I don't need anything expensive.

Klotera

On sale again. I've been waiting to get a decent gsync monitor for a while. Any qualms about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

I have it and it's great. It looks better than most TN panels. At normal viewing angles, I don't really notice that it's not IPS and I came from an IPS monitor.

The only thing is that the gamma is too high and there is no on-board control for gamma. You need to turn it down in Nvidia control panel or import a color profile to Windows color management (I used one from here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm). This is why some people think the monitor looks washed out at first, but it looks great once you have the gamma adjusted.

It's probably one of the more reasonably priced ways to get a decent g-sync monitor.

I'm thinking about buying the AOC Agon 27' G-SYNC monitor. I like the look of the base - the metal matches my case - and it seems to have good specs. Does anyone here own one and care to share their experiences with it?

Pratfall

Not sure how to do the grouping and auto shutoff stuff, but as far as gsync goes, you can have one monitor running at high frame rate and another running at 60Hz no problem.

I posted this the PC building thread but it may make more sense here:

I have a few questions about multi-monitor.

My current setup:
Monitor 1 is my 165hz 2560x1440 GSync monitor
Monitor 2 4K Television in another room

I'd like to have a second monitor that goes with the 1440p Gsync monitor. I want to be able to setup monitor groups. The television would be by itself and when I use that I wouldn't want the other 2 monitors on and when I'm on my monitor, I'd want both monitors on while the TV is off.

Questions, how do I setup such a grouping? Also, while extending the desktop, can I have the main monitor outputting at 144+hz 1440p GSync, if the second monitor is a 60hz fixed refresh? for the second monitor, I'd just want a browser window or discord, I don't need anything expensive.

Coolade

Our partners have some new G-SYNC HDR monitors on the way, and there's new news on the ones announced at CES earlier in the year: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-35-inch-curved-monitor

(In advance: have nothing to add/say that isn't already in the article, so not much point asking me any questions :) )

I was hoping we'd hit 120 or 144hz with a 21:9 panel. Never in my life did I expect 200hz so fast. I just bought my rog swift last year :( I'll be holding off from upgrading but wow.

just bought the PG287Q off a friend for $250 this weekend. Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding. G Sync is just insane.

Playing Doom 2016 at 144 fps locked 1440p with no screen tearing is some real crazy shit man

I have a 144hz gsync monitor and certain games fluctuate between 80 and 110 fps.

My question is are there any downsides to capping the framerate via nvidia inspector to say 75fps? (other than the game being less smooth)

Paragon

I have a 144hz gsync monitor and certain games fluctuate between 80 and 110 fps.
My question is are there any downsides to capping the framerate via nvidia inspector to say 75fps? (other than the game being less smooth)
Higher input lag.
NVIDIA's framerate limiter adds about as much lag as V-Sync.
RTSS' framerate limiter is the lowest latency one, but it is still going to add about a frame of lag.
The exception to this is if a game has its own framerate limiter. That typically does not add a noticeable amount of lag.

I would only use a framerate limiter when necessary; i.e. to prevent a game from changing over from G-Sync to V-Sync when it hits the maximum refresh rate of the panel.

If you're getting 80-110 FPS, why would you cap it to 75?
That's the sort of thing you would do on a display without G-Sync.

Higher input lag.
NVIDIA's framerate limiter adds about as much lag as V-Sync.
RTSS' framerate limiter is the lowest latency one, but it is still going to add about a frame of lag.
The exception to this is if a game has its own framerate limiter. That typically does not add a noticeable amount of lag.

I would only use a framerate limiter when necessary; i.e. to prevent a game from changing over from G-Sync to V-Sync when it hits the maximum refresh rate of the panel.

If you're getting 80-110 FPS, why would you cap it to 75?
That's the sort of thing you would do on a display without G-Sync.

The dips cause some noticeable stutter which I'm trying to find a way around.

Knurek

Is there any way to get rid of flickering while in the windowed G-Sync mode?
Easiest way to check is during the UAC prompt.
With G-Sync only enabled in fullscreen, the screens stays good for me, but the second I enable fullscreen+windowed, I get flickering in the background...

Aranath

So, I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC and since then G sync doesn't seem to be working. I tried playing Dark Souls 3 today and I'm getting tearing all over the place and stuttering when it drops below 60. I never had problems like this before I reinstalled Windows.

I've checked in the Nvidia control panel and everything is enabled. I tried uninstalling my drivers with DDU and reinstalling but no dice.

Any ideas?

inner-G

Banned
So, I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC and since then G sync doesn't seem to be working. I tried playing Dark Souls 3 today and I'm getting tearing all over the place and stuttering when it drops below 60. I never had problems like this before I reinstalled Windows.

I've checked in the Nvidia control panel and everything is enabled. I tried uninstalling my drivers with DDU and reinstalling but no dice.

Any ideas?
For G-sync to work I know you need to have it enabled in NVCP, then play the game in full-screen mode (not borderless window) and disable in-game sync.

Not sure what all types of things could make it not work as long as you're doing all of those

Aranath

For G-sync to work I know you need to have it enabled in NVCP, then play the game in full-screen mode (not borderless window) and disable in-game sync.

Not sure what all types of things could make it not work as long as you're doing all of those

Yeah, everything is set correctly, which is why I'm so confused and have no idea what else to try. I've been using G sync for a year and a half with this PC without issues up until this Windows reset.

Paragon

None of that applies any more.
G-Sync supports both fullscreen and windowed mode (borderless or not) games/applications now - once enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
You don't need to disable V-Sync in the game any more either.
V-Sync just controls what happens when the framerate gets outside the G-Sync range.

inner-G

Banned
None of that applies any more.
G-Sync supports both fullscreen and windowed mode (borderless or not) games/applications now - once enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
You don't need to disable V-Sync in the game any more either.
V-Sync just controls what happens when the framerate gets outside the G-Sync range.
Whoa that's good to know!

My framerates went to shit after the creators update too, turns out. (6600k/1080)

I'm rolling it back right now, wish me luck: https://betanews.com/2017/04/11/how-to-rollback-and-uninstall-windows-10-creators-update/

theRizzle

I've been having issues with my PG279Q recently... Frequently when I exit a game, the screen just stays black and doesn't pick up the desktop. Pulling and re-entering the displayport cable fixes it, so it's only a minor annoyance but still weird.

I think it might have started happening a couple driver updates ago.

Izuna

Banned
I can't figure it out.

I want Gsync to work with BioShock Infinite, but I also was to reduce input lag.

75hz
Gsync On
Vsync Forced Off (off in-game)

Unless I limit the FPS to 68 or below I get tearing...

I thought 2fps under my refresh rate was all I needed but the tearing is erratic.

Gsync appears to work (no tearing) with Gsync and Vsync on together, but I think that increases the input lag.

EDIT: enabling Gsync with Fast Sync worked

Paragon

I can't figure it out.
I want Gsync to work with BioShock Infinite, but I also was to reduce input lag.

75hz
Gsync On

I thought 2fps under my refresh rate was all I needed but the tearing is erratic.
Gsync appears to work (no tearing) with Gsync and Vsync on together, but I think that increases the input lag.
There shouldn't be a need to disable V-Sync any more.
It just controls what happens when the framerate goes outside the G-Sync range for the monitor. If you don't want tearing, leave it on.

As for limiting to 2 FPS below the refresh rate, there's a lot of conflicting information.
Without going into all of that, the general recommendation now seems to be leaving V-Sync enabled when you do it.
Again: you're not using V-Sync, it just controls what happens if the framerate gets outside the G-Sync range.

There's been talk of the Windows 10 Creator's Update having affected this, or having power saving/core parking enabled, but I haven't seen it make a difference here.

riflen

I can't figure it out.

75hz
Gsync On

EDIT: enabling Gsync with Fast Sync worked

Not all frame limiters and frame rate readers are equal. Try using several different programs to check the frame rate. You might find that the rate is exceeding 75 fps which would cause tearing with the config first you posted.

An example of this can be seen in this video.

When Fast Sync kicks in above 75 fps, it might cause judder. It's personal preference.

Izuna

Banned
So using Gsync with Vsync doesn't give me the input lag associated with Vsync? So it works as a frame-limiter? I can't find any info on this at all :(

I see the judder with Fast-Sync. I'll try using MSI Afterburner for fps counter and not Steam Overlay.

I want to upgrade to g-sync when Destiny 2 comes out on PC. I'm thinking I can wait an extra month for black friday/cyber Monday deals. You guys think there will be anything with 1440p/144hz under 500?

HooYaH

I want to upgrade to g-sync when Destiny 2 comes out on PC. I'm thinking I can wait an extra month for black friday/cyber Monday deals. You guys think there will be anything with 1440p/144hz under 500?
There's been some sales for Dell S2716dg for $400 in the past. It's a TN panel though. Look out for costco in store only, some times they sell it for lower than $500 for the acer ips 27.

riflen

So using Gsync with Vsync doesn't give me the input lag associated with Vsync? So it works as a frame-limiter? I can't find any info on this at all :(

I see the judder with Fast-Sync. I'll try using MSI Afterburner for fps counter and not Steam Overlay.

With G-Sync and Vsync both enabled in settings, G-Sync will be used as long as the frame rate remains under the refresh rate of the display.
As soon as the frame rate exceeds the refresh rate, Vsync will take over and you'll get the latency it brings.
Is 75hz the maximum refresh rate of your display?

Izuna

Banned
With G-Sync and Vsync both enabled in settings, G-Sync will be used as long as the frame rate remains under the refresh rate of the display.
As soon as the frame rate exceeds the refresh rate, Vsync will take over and you'll get the latency it brings.
Is 75hz the maximum refresh rate of your display?

Yeah.

For BioShock I have to use 67fps (frametimes actually show up as stupid when above, but I get tearing).

Tbh I blame the Creator's Update

riflen

Yeah.

For BioShock I have to use 67fps (frametimes actually show up as stupid when above, but I get tearing).

Tbh I blame the Creator's Update

Yeah there's no nice solution to this exact scenario. It's partly why I never buy a monitor that doesn't support at least 120 Hz.

Your best bet might be G-Sync + Fast Sync with no frame rate limit. Let the game engine pump out as many frames as your machine can manage and the Fast Sync algo might have more frames to choose from resulting in as little judder as possible. It's designed for 60 Hz displays running games at 300 fps or the like.

Paragon

I wouldn't recommend Fast Sync since that allows the framerate to go higher than the refresh rate, which guarantees stuttering.
Just leave V-Sync enabled and cap the framerate lower than the refresh rate.
Maybe set the maximum pre-rendered frames option to 1 as well, as it might make a difference.

Basically what happens is that, with many framerate limiters, you will occasionally get a frame that exceeds what the limiter is set to.
If you have V-Sync disabled you get bad tearing/stuttering and it can take multiple frames to "settle" again.
If you leave V-Sync enabled, that one frame is prevented from tearing and things continue to be smooth and tear-free.

At least that's what seems to be happening. No-one outside of NVIDIA knows for sure.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah there's no nice solution to this exact scenario. It's partly why I never buy a monitor that doesn't support at least 120 Hz.

Your best bet might be G-Sync + Fast Sync with no frame rate limit. Let the game engine pump out as many frames as your machine can manage and the Fast Sync algo might have more frames to choose from resulting in as little judder as possible. It's designed for 60 Hz displays running games at 300 fps or the like.

Fast Sync judder is horrible haha. 67fps is fine, it just took a while to fine the threshold.

I could play these games on my 144hz but I am too lazy to move a meter.

Vsync lag is Super noticeable for me and I hate it.

Paragon

Fast Sync judder is horrible haha. 67fps is fine, it just took a while to fine the threshold.
I could play these games on my 144hz but I am too lazy to move a meter.
Vsync lag is Super noticeable for me and I hate it.
When G-Sync is enabled, V-Sync does not apply unless your framerate is at the refresh rate.
That's why you cap it to something lower than the refresh rate.
If you disable V-Sync, you're just making the required framerate cap much lower than it needs to be.

Izuna

Banned
When G-Sync is enabled, V-Sync does not apply unless your framerate is at the refresh rate.
That's why you cap it to something lower than the refresh rate.
If you disable V-Sync, you're just making the required framerate cap much lower than it needs to be.

Hmm...

What a second you might have a point. I don't have to tools to test what this would mean, if that specific frame has extra lag and whether or not that would matter.

I'll give it a shot.

edit: this shit isn't working for me... Dunno why

Paragon

BlurBusters' G-Sync 101 article is live now: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/
Goes very in-depth into a lot of details about G-Sync and input lag.

The short version:
  1. Enable V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel, not Fast Sync. It's not really V-Sync.
  2. Optionally, set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1.
  3. If the game has a framerate limiter, set that to 3 below your maximum refresh rate. If not, use RTSS to set the same limit.
The way he puts it, "V-Sync" is basically acting as frame-time compensation to handle sudden spikes in framerate when you have G-Sync enabled.

Hmm...
What a second you might have a point. I don't have to tools to test what this would mean, if that specific frame has extra lag and whether or not that would matter.

I'll give it a shot.
edit: this shit isn't working for me... Dunno why
Can you be more specific beyond "isn't working for me" ?

hoserx

There's been some sales for Dell S2716dg for $400 in the past. It's a TN panel though. Look out for costco in store only, some times they sell it for lower than $500 for the acer ips 27.

I can confirm. I got the Predator 27" ips 165hz gsync for 499 there.

Top Bottom