• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

sonto340

Not yet. For quite convoluted reasoning which could be summed up as "Smash for Wii U uses SD card for user accessible files but nothing 'regular' does it with USB drives", hypervisor breaking is required for accessing the latter. Accidentally, initially scene was sure NAS drives would be the easiest thing, then USB, then SD... but they were wrong.
Well looks like I'll need to invest in a bigger SD Card then. Thanks for the answer!

Chucker

You need to have it in /wiiu/games/

The folder needs to be named "Name of Game [TitleID]"

For VC injections, you can make up anything for the title ID, but it must be four characters and then 01. DMSK01 for example.

For Wii U titles, it needs to be the game's correct titleID6. To get that, look in meta.xml.

In this case the titleID is AYCP01

So Super Mario Maker is "/wiiu/games/Super Mario Maker [AMAE01]/"

Excellent. Moving over from my 32 to my 64 and will give it a shot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah.. and often the top screen has nothing on it really so it'd be cool to have the bottom screen be the big one on the TV. Hmmm.

... please post if yall figure that out. I'm undecided if I want to bite down on a DS game from the eShop yet, but Contra 4 would put me over the edge.

CompC

to use the hid app do games need to be installed/launched by a loader or I can use the disc normally?
I'm prepping my setup as I write and I,m kinda excited :D

I guess the Xbox One controller is out of the question right?

I'm using my Xbox One controller. I have my Xbox One controller plugged into a CronusMax set to output in PS3 mode.

So basically, my Xbox One inputs are being converted into PS3 inputs which HID to VPAD can recognize. Works great. Also lets me use my PS4 controller using a Bluetooth adapter.

Aeana

Yeah.. and often the top screen has nothing on it really so it'd be cool to have the bottom screen be the big one on the TV. Hmmm.

This is all possible via the json file. Here's an example configuration section:

Code:
                {
                    "pad_rotation": 90,
                    "drc_rotation": 90,
                    "buttons_rotation": 0,
                    "screen": [
                        {
                            "source": "upper",
                            "rotation": 0,
                            "size": "424 318",
                            "target": "tv",
                            "position": "428 11"
                        },
                        {
                            "source": "lower",
                            "size": "424 318",
                            "position": "428 391"
                        },
                        {
                            "source": "upper",
                            "rotation": 270,
                            "size": "360 480",
                            "target": "drc",
                            "position": "466 0"
                        },
                        {
                            "source": "lower",
                            "rotation": 270,
                            "size": "360 480",
                            "position": "28 0"
                        }
                    ],
                    "name_string_id": "VCM_LAYOUT_6_NAME",
                    "background": [
                        {
                            "position": "0 0",
                            "resource": "//content_dir/assets/textures/tvback.png",
                            "size": "1280 720"
                        },
                        {
                            "resource": "//content_dir/assets/textures/drcback.png",
                            "size": "854 480"
                        }
                    ],
                    "desc_string_id": "VCM_LAYOUT_6_EXPLANATION"
                },

You can set the exact pixel position and size of each screen on both the TV and gamepad ('drc'), the screen source (upper, lower), the rotation of the screens and dpad and buttons of the gamepad in degrees, and so on. It's super configurable.

marmoka

Banned
I will need a video tutorial or something to follow all the necessary steps to make use of this homebrew channel. I never thought it would be that hard.

SigSig

Code:
 "background": [
                        {
                            "resource": "//content_dir/assets/textures/tvback.png",
                            "size": "1280 720"
                        },
                        {
                            "resource": "//content_dir/assets/textures/drcback.png",
                            "size": "854 480"
                        }

We can even set own backgrounds? Oh man, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

Robin64

Looks like Loadiine shit the bed, I don't have a meta.xml.
Only got Code and Content on Wooly World.

Special method to dump the /vol/meta folder

If you want to dump the /vol/meta folder then the method is different based on the launched title type.

Wii U disc titles and titles installed on Wii U USB Hard drive:
1. After you launched the title, press the Home button.
2. Wait on the Home menu until all files are dumped.
3. You can now close the Home menu and either return to the game or exit.

Titles installed on the Wii U system memory (NAND):
1. After you launched the title, press the Home button
2. Exit to the system menu
3. Wait 30 seconds on the system menu, until all files are dumped. The dump will start about 15 seconds after the system menu is loaded.

If I go through with this am I essentially locked out from accessing the eShop and/or online play?

For now, no, because Nintendo hasn't updated anything yet.

In the future, it's hard to say what will happen--there may be a workaround or there may not. Might want to try some stuff out right now though, while there's no downside.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Hold on, I read somewhere this homebrew cuts you off from playing online. Is that true? Can I have it and still enjoy Splatoon, Mario Maker, etc.?

KingWool

Banned
Hold on, I read somewhere this homebrew cuts you off from playing online. Is that true? Can I have it and still enjoy Splatoon, Mario Maker, etc.?

You can't play dumped games online, but you can play them in normal Wii U circumstance online just fine.

Yep, that's right. Now the next title you launch will be the one that dumps to your PC, assuming you a) set the IP correctly and b) have the titledumper running on the PC.

Titledumper immediately closes after I open it on my PC, tried running it as an admin and it still closes. Is it supposed to do that or is something wrong?

Jackano

Because according to NERD, it was quite a challenge getting the DS emulator running on Wii U architecture as is.
Maybe not the actual thread to post in but since it's public knowledge now, NERD did hired some young engineers with DS/Wii homebrew scene experience.
So in one hand I've hope they get more and more resources to make the VC in a good shape at some point. In the other hand, I'm not sure they're in a position to make things move too much too quickly, sadly. I even wonder what's the official position regarding this sort of stuff.

Robin64

Titledumper immediately closes after I open it on my PC, tried running it as an admin and it still closes. Is it supposed to do that or is something wrong?

You need to run it from a command prompt.

Drop to a command prompt, navigate to the folder you've put the file, and then use the following syntax:

titledumper /vol location

Such as titledumper /vol "E:/WiiU/ISO/Mario Kart 8/"

Chucker

Special method to dump the /vol/meta folder

If you want to dump the /vol/meta folder then the method is different based on the launched title type.

Wii U disc titles and titles installed on Wii U USB Hard drive:
1. After you launched the title, press the Home button.
2. Wait on the Home menu until all files are dumped.
3. You can now close the Home menu and either return to the game or exit.

Titles installed on the Wii U system memory (NAND):
1. After you launched the title, press the Home button
2. Exit to the system menu
3. Wait 30 seconds on the system menu, until all files are dumped. The dump will start about 15 seconds after the system menu is loaded.

Yeah, I read that. I started it back up and it looks like power save struck. It's starting from the content folder and moving on.

marmoka

Banned
Follow my guide. Very detailed and easy

Found it. I'll take a look. Thanks!!

I think I couldn't do anything because I don't have any WUD games in the SD card. I was trying to run a DS game just downloading a ROM, and as you imagine, nothing happened. I didn't know I needed WUD versions of the DS games instead of normal ROMs. I studied computer science, but I'm a real disaster hacking, haha.

If we want to play N64 games, do we need to follow a similar process?

Aeana

Took some finagling, but DQ9 does work at 2x if Mario Kart is used as the base.

2x:

CC4KNOz.jpg

PS81LZX.jpg

Now I just need to come up with a custom screen configuration that works the way I want it, since this game swaps between both screens regularly.

Past

My SD Card is already being use for the Wii Mode, I assume you can't use it for Wii U and Wii Mode at the same time?

Robin64

My SD Card is already being use for the Wii Mode, I assume you can't use it for Wii U and Wii Mode at the same time?

You absolutely can, all the Wii U stuff is in a folder on the root called /wiiu/

I'm using the same one for both. :)

Meesh

set your DNS (wii u network connection settings) to this to stop updates:

Otherwise Nintendo will take care of homebrew automatically for you.
Sorry for the n00by question but how do I do this?

Hmmm, this seems so easy to install. I want to install it but am a little worried. What if your Wii U needs to be sent to Nintendo to fix, can you delete/hide the homebrew loader?

Any chances of bricking?

Any issues using the eShop so far?

I think I'll go in and set the DNS as advised and will wait a while before installing.

Thanks.

Aeana

Hmmm, this seems so easy to install. I want to install it but am a little worried. What if your Wii U needs to be sent to Nintendo to fix, can you delete/hide the homebrew loader?

Any chances of bricking?

Any issues using the eShop so far?

I think I'll go in and set the DNS as advised and will wait a while before installing.

Thanks.

Nothing is installed on your console. It all has to be loaded from the SD card on demand.
It doesn't permanently modify anything, so no chance of bricking. eShop works for now because the latest firmware is supported, but I assume later on that will not be the case.

Robin64

Nothing actually gets installed. Once your Wii U is off and that SD card is removed, there isn't a single trace of Homebrew on your console.

Chucker

Took some finagling, but DQ9 does work at 2x if Mario Kart is used as the base.

2x:

Now I just need to come up with a custom screen configuration that works the way I want it, since this game swaps between both screens regularly.

Hrm, I bought Brain Age, but should have went with MK9 then if there are going to be different ones that are good for different games.

Robin64

Hrm, I bought Brain Age, but should have went with MK9 then if there are going to be different ones that are good for different games.

Hopefully there'll be a good list compiled soon enough. Brain Training was perfect for Final Fantasy IV DS.

Nothing is installed on your console. It all has to be loaded from the SD card on demand.
It doesn't permanently modify anything, so no chance of bricking. eShop works for now because the latest firmware is supported, but I assume later on that will not be the case.

Nothing actually gets installed. Once your Wii U is off and that SD card is removed, there isn't a single trace of Homebrew on your console.
Thanks both, this is great.

For the person asking, instructions on how to manually enter your DNS are here:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo..._id/1138/~/how-to-manually-enter-dns-settings

Do we need to enter a secondary DNS? I left it blank and the connection test was fine.

Subbed, I love you guys. Let me see if this finally allows me to play my beloved copy of Mystical Ninja without having to take my N64 out of the closet.

Tealmann

yeah, 5.5.0 or 5.5.1 so says the website.

Oh right. Maybe I can try reading some time.
Does anyone know how to update a spoofed Wii U? I have 5.4 spoofed to 5.5.1. Do I just do it normally?
EDIT: Apparently you should not update from 5.4, so don't do that.

fernoca

Any pics of how Loadliine looks?

If it has a similar (or better) look Ioght give it a try to place some of the games from the HDD to the SD.

Eila

Wow the DS stuff is juicy. The PC emulator seems to have better settings for 3D games, but for 2D gaming having an actual touchscreen sounds fantastic.
Will have to try this later. Was kinda waiting for the more permanent homebrew, but this one looks easy enough.

nickerous

Just thinking out loud here. Would you be able to purchase a wii game from the eshop that allows you gamepad controls and inject another wii game or even a gamecube game and get gamepad controls that way? Don't some of those wii eshop releases have off-tv play with gamepad controls?

Top Bottom