• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator |OT| Thirsty for Pop

I'm terribly sorry if I've caused confusion, but I was told by someone with review code that Brian serves as the host of the tutorial and the most prominent NPC but -cannot- be pursued. I pray my pal was just an idiot and couldn't figure out how.

I'm gonna be kinda miffed if they set these guys in the spotlight but made only some of them date-able. Unless they're working that out with patches in the future or something, Brian isn't my favorite just going off looks and likes/dislikes but I'm willing to play his route and be convinced.

I'm gonna be kinda miffed if they set these guys in the spotlight but made only some of them date-able. Unless they're working that out with patches in the future or something, Brian isn't my favorite just going off looks and likes/dislikes but I'm willing to play his route and be convinced.

You can't have a gay centric game and take out the bear come on!

Please let me date him! :)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)

I could see dating routes for some characters being added as free patches or paid DLC, but I'm legit disappointed as Brian is by leaps and bounds the most attractive character to me and also happens to look disturbingly identical to a dear, but taken friend I've had a massive crush on for years, ha ha.

...Whoa. When I joined GAF a decade ago or whatever I never imagined a thread in which I'd be writing a post like this.

Edit: Again, please note that my journo friend who told me Brian doesn't have a date path could be completely mistaken. I love him to death but he's quite hetero indeed and perhaps just doesn't know the way into chubby fuzzy ginger dad's heart.

Bladenic

I suppose Brian's title COULD make him undatebable if he's truly supposed to be a rival for other dads' affection. But uh, no, if Brian ain't dateable, I ain't buying. That's just based on design alone though.

atom519

Only reason I know of this game is PUP the band is somehow involved, guess there is a scene where they go on a date to a concert or something.

I could see dating routes for some characters being added as free patches or paid DLC, but I'm legit disappointed as Brian is by leaps and bounds the most attractive character to me and also happens to look disturbingly identical to a dear, but taken friend I've had a massive crush on for years, ha ha.

...Whoa. When I joined GAF a decade ago or whatever I never imagined a thread in which I'd be writing a post like this.

Edit: Again, please note that my journo friend who told be Brian doesn't have a date path could be completely mistaken. I love him to death but he's quite hetero indeed and perhaps just doesn't know the way into chubby fuzzy ginger dad's heart.

I'm gonna lean on your friend not being able to figure out how to woo Brian or maybe he's just hard to date (in some dating sims/VNs it's harder to get onto one path vs. another). They do specifically state that there's "7 date-able dads" and they feature him prominently as one of the 7 dads both in the logo and the character descriptions (which I snagged from their Facebook page and can also be found on their Twitter and Tumblr accounts)

Only reason I know of this game is PUP the band is somehow involved, guess there is a scene where they go on a date to a concert or something.

The cameo is detailed in this article. I quoted and spoilered the specific moment below

“One of your dates with Mat (Cool Dad) takes place at a concert venue (called the Sound Garden—sorry there's a lot of Dad puns in this game) where PUP is headlining,” Shaw told Pitchfork. “PUP’s ‘DVP’ plays during a minigame where you lost your date in the crowd after having to leave your spot to go to the bathroom.”

To be honest, I wasn't sure how well known this band is or know anything about them prior to this :p

Koomaster

Yeah there has to be some way to date Brian even if it's difficult, like dating the goddess from the harvest moon games. They would cause riots if they made the only bear off limits. Plus as others have said, they've advertised 7 dads to date and introduced us to 7 dads. It would be quite the bait and switch if Brian wasn't. The calls of gay baiting would drown out any other conversation on the game.

Kimaka

I suppose Brian's title COULD make him undatebable if he's truly supposed to be a rival for other dads' affection. But uh, no, if Brian ain't dateable, I ain't buying. That's just based on design alone though.

He is a rival in that he tries to one up you when you talk about your daughter's accomplishments rather than competing with him when you are trying to date the other dads.

Is this game actually releasing today or what?
Kinda annoying that the Twitter is announcing current livestreams of the game to celebrate the release but nobody can actually play the game.

gaiages

Banned
Edit: Again, please note that my journo friend who told me Brian doesn't have a date path could be completely mistaken. I love him to death but he's quite hetero indeed and perhaps just doesn't know the way into chubby fuzzy ginger dad's heart.

Since there's no embargo, I gotta say, your journo friend might have just misread something from the press e-mails. I've gotten a few myself (nothing about Brian, I contacted pretty late, sorry), but some of the e-mails are a little oddly worded.

I wouldn't count Brian out as a dateable interest until we're able to play it.

Harlequin

Ah, thanks :). Crunch is absolutely terrible so I can't exactly be mad at them (not that I really was before, just somewhat annoyed with the situation). I do selfishly hope that the new release date isn't too far off but I also don't want them to keep on crunching so if I have to wait a bit longer so they can get some proper sleep and free time, that's absolutely fine by me.

Ugh, some of those tweets.

Yeeeeep. Some people are acting like they spent the last ten hours refreshing the steam page every few seconds instead of just checking once in a while and then going to bed at a reasonable hour when it still wasn't out. And if they did, that's entirely on them.

Glad most of the responses are much more supportive. Hopefully the delay isn't too long.

gaiages

Banned
Imo I'm glad they're working so hard to fix the bugs they found instead of some publishers going "fuck it we'll fix it later" and releasing it regardless. So good for them.

parrotful

Neo Member
I wonder if one of the bugs they're working to fix is a broken Brian route. Seems like it would be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and they know it.

kami_sama

He is a rival in that he tries to one up you when you talk about your daughter's accomplishments rather than competing with him when you are trying to date the other dads.

really? Because the steam page says there are 7 dateable dads, and with Brian, there are 7. (I don't think they would count hidden dads, if there are any)

Kimaka

I'm sure he is dateable. I just meant that him being a rival doesn't mean that he would interfere with you dating the other guys based on the videos I've seen.

Bahorel

I'm fine with the delay and I think they should take the time they need. What I don't like is for example Suzy continuing to play it on her channel despite the fact that they don't know when it's going to come out now. She just uploaded the next part this morning, and I know that youtubers play games before release but when it's a narrative game like that it feels weird to spoil it.

Not that I'm going to watch it and spoil it for myself. I don't know why I'm irked by it. It obviously would feel better if it was timed when everyone else could play it too.

Griss

Came for the amazing title, stayed for the hilarious antics of a dev delaying a game 6 hours after it was supposed to release.

Game dev is hard, but you've got to know if you're game is going to meet launch date, you know... at least the day beforehand?

gaiages

Banned
I'm fine with the delay and I think they should take the time they need. What I don't like is for example Suzy continuing to play it on her channel despite the fact that they don't know when it's going to come out now. She just uploaded the next part this morning, and I know that youtubers play games before release but when it's a narrative game like that it feels weird to spoil it.

Not that I'm going to watch it and spoil it for myself. I don't know why I'm irked by it. It obviously would feel better if it was timed when everyone else could play it too.

I'm wondering how she's actually playing it, because review copies aren't activated yet. It is a tester build or something?

I do agree it's kind of weird she and maybe other youtubers are doing that, and with a narrative game it kind of spoils the fun... especially when others can't play along. It's just odd timing.

kulapik

I'm wondering how she's actually playing it, because review copies aren't activated yet. It is a tester build or something?

I do agree it's kind of weird she and maybe other youtubers are doing that, and with a narrative game it kind of spoils the fun... especially when others can't play along. It's just odd timing.

Yeah, it's a demo build of sorts, she's from Game Grumps after all. As far as I'm aware, that build ends
after Bad Dad invites you to spend the night with him.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, it's a demo build of sorts, she's from Game Grumps after all. As far as I'm aware, that build ends

Ah that makes sense, the name seemed familiar but it didn't click with me.

that last part has my interest oh yes indeed bby! really sucks about the delay though.

Yeeeeep. Some people are acting like they spent the last ten hours refreshing the steam page every few seconds instead of just checking once in a while and then going to bed at a reasonable hour when it still wasn't out. And if they did, that's entirely on them.

Glad most of the responses are much more supportive. Hopefully the delay isn't too long.

I don't know, it's also kinda shitty how many people with big followings/ verified accounts are bombasting people expressing disappointment, no matter how benign their disappointment is. Like, it is kinda annoying to wait as long as they did, while doing a live stream, only to hear we're delaying it with no time frame. I support them not killing themselves over it, but they could have and should have said something earlier. I'll still play
if Brian's datable
, but they handled the delay poorly, and the language they're using is weird.

Top Bottom