• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Switch) review thread

Scoops

Banned
ogp.jpg

Reviews are rolling in for this one. It's out next week.

Metacritic - 71/100 (5 reviews)

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Everyeye.it - 7.5/10

4Players.de - 7.1/10

Cubed3 - 7/10

Switchtalia - 6.5/10

Trusted Reviews - 6/10

bobawesome

Not surprised by the tepid reviews. It's a musou sequel to a game that was released only on the PSP and the story (from what I've played on the Vita) is pretty mediocre for the franchise it belongs to.

inb4 Fate never had a good story

Fate fans will eat it up regardless and I may get it later on when the price drops.

LordKano

Thought it was pretty bad. No issues with the Switch port so if you absolutely want to play it here it's fine but you shouldn't bother, unless you're a huge Fate fan.

The End

It's a decent enough game if you're a fan of the fate/etc stuff or musou games in general but it'll be much tastier when it's $20 on sale in six months.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hows this game for fans of musou games?

Decent
Faster when in the field
With a sort of z targeting against bosses
Poorer in terms of environments and polycount
As stable as in terms of frame rate
Way weirder in terms of storytelling

EDarkness

The reviews are not surprising. Luckily, I knew what I was getting into before I pre-ordered it. Can't wait to play it, but I think everyone should just accept that this game won't be for everyone. Even so, I have a feeling it'll do fairly okay in the West and not so good in Japan.

Weird to see one of my reviews in a gaf OT. :p

Its a good game for sure, but far more orientated to existing fans.

That's pretty much gonna be the case for virtually any Type-Moon game. The setting is so dense that there simply isn't any good introductory VN/game/anime to the Nasuverse yet.

Thoraxes

Glad to hear all this. I knew what to expect because a friend played through it so I already know what to expect. Gonna be getting this next week.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its the exact same game as the original bar Nero in her bride outfit as extra content. I mean there isn''t much to say

They could burn anything that isn't the Zero animu. Except for Shiro, Shiro>Archer.

The worst thing Ufotable's adaption of Fate Zero introduced was edgy tryhards into the fandom, gah

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
I know the content is complete, but what about performance? Does the Switch version play worse than the PS4 version? Have there been adjustments made like lower enemy count on-screen, etc.?

Inuhanyou

I've been thinking of buying this since its announcement on PS4 and Vita. But somehow never seem to actually purchase it.

If you don't like average to sub par musou combat, vita level visuals and one off individual character stories that are YMMV in quality, i would steer clear.

Only for the most dedicated of TM fans who can't help but have more of Arturia, Nero, Archer or Cu, among others. Don't come in for the game itself, cause it aint worth it

Strings

Fate/Zero is excellent tho!

They could burn the Fate route on the VN tho~

Urobutcher is excellent though!*

Not that Nasu is a bad writer, but Fate is definitely his weakest work imo. This game in particular is super weak.

Garden of Sinners > All

jonno394

Releasing the same day as Splatoon 2 and for full rrp always meant this would be a hard sell for me, but reviews are promising at least.

Will wait for the game to drop in price, but by that time Fire Emblem Warriors will likely be close so i may just skip this entirely.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know the content is complete, but what about performance? Does the Switch version play worse than the PS4 version? Have there been adjustments made like lower enemy count on-screen, etc.?

I have Fate/Extella on PS4, Vita, and Switch. The Switch version is definitely better than the Vita version, as expected, and the best way to describe the port might be what Fate would have been like if there was a PS3 version. I didn't do a side by side comparison, but this is what stood out to me when I played the Switch version earlier tonight:

-There are not as many enemies on-screen as the PS4 version has, but it's still a fairly large amount and if you never played it on PS4, you wouldn't notice.

-The framerate looks like it's at 30 FPS and is pretty solid for the most part. PS4 is 60 FPS.

-The resolution appears to be lower, even when docked. Maybe it's just me, but this looks like it might be 720P max. Definitely looks a little blurrier.

It's a nice port overall. I'd say if you're planning on playing this on the go as well as docked, this version is worth it, since it runs much better on the Switch than on the Vita. But if you're just going to play it in your living room, get it on PS4.

Inuhanyou

Urobutcher is excellent though!*

Not that Nasu is a bad writer, but Fate is definitely his weakest work imo. This game in particular is super weak.

Garden of Sinners > All

^ Most people fail to remember that FZ is mostly Nasu's plot threads that he had held over from FSN, Urobutchi just adapted it into a proper LN while collaborating with Nasu and adding some characters into the storyline himself(like Waver as the biggest example). The ufotable anime maybe skewed some people's perspectives in regards to that though.

As for the rest of the Fate franchise, I don't think its fair to call Fate's writing weak based on a throw away game like this. especially when the FSN VN proper, or something like Tsukihime or Mahoyo would be more appropriate to judge that. KnK is okay but the original novels were very sporadic, ufotable cleaned up and condensed their content decently well when they adapted it into movies(even if i think the manga is actually better at telling the actual story than either the original LN's or the movies)

I actually think Tsukihime is his best written work even to this day, which of course means that in this just world of ours we'll never get the remake or fabled Tsukihime 2 with Satsujinki in it

It's a nice port overall. I'd say if you're planning on playing this on the go as well as docked, this version is worth it, since it runs much better on the Switch than on the Vita. But if you're just going to play it in your living room, get it on PS4.
Or get the PC version when that comes out. The 30FPS part is somewhat disappointing, so I'll probably skip the Switch version, as reluctant as I am to do it.

^ Most people fail to remember that FZ is mostly Nasu's plot threads that he had held over from FSN, Urobutchi just adapted it into a proper LN while collaborating with Nasu and adding some characters into the storyline himself(like Waver as the biggest example). The ufotable anime maybe skewed some people's perspectives in regards to that though.

As for the rest of the Fate franchise, I don't think its fair to call Fate's writing weak based on a throw away game like this. especially when the FSN VN proper, or something like Tsukihime or Mahoyo would be more appropriate to judge that. KnK is okay but the original novels were very sporadic, ufotable cleaned up and condensed their content decently well when they adapted it into movies(even if i think the manga is actually better at telling the actual story than either the original LN's or the movies)

I actually think Tsukihime is his best written work even to this day, which of course means that in this just world of ours we'll never get the remake or fabled Tsukihime 2 with Satsujinki in it

Shame we never got a good Tsukihime anime. But the manga adaptation of the Near Side plotline is pretty great - stuff like Ciel Vs. Akiha, and the part where Shiki goes FUCK THE STAIRS and cuts Roa down mid-fall, which was fucking awesome.

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
I have Fate/Extella on PS4, Vita, and Switch. The Switch version is definitely better than the Vita version, as expected, and the best way to describe the port might be what Fate would have been like if there was a PS3 version. I didn't do a side by side comparison, but this is what stood out to me when I played the Switch version earlier tonight:

-There are not as many enemies on-screen as the PS4 version has, but it's still a fairly large amount and if you never played it on PS4, you wouldn't notice.

-The framerate looks like it's at 30 FPS and is pretty solid for the most part. PS4 is 60 FPS.

-The resolution appears to be lower, even when docked. Maybe it's just me, but this looks like it might be 720P max. Definitely looks a little blurrier.

Theoretically, does the lower on-screen enemy count affect one's ability to complete objectives/achievements/etc.?

Inuhanyou

Shame we never got a good Tsukihime anime. But the manga adaptation of the Near Side plotline is pretty great - stuff like Ciel Vs. Akiha, and the part where Shiki goes FUCK THE STAIRS and cuts Roa down mid-fall, which was fucking awesome.

I agree. Sakaki Shounen did an excellent job and exceeded everyone's expectations for 10 years straight, which is not something every author of an adaption can claim. its funny to think how it was originally just spinoff promotional material for the horrible JC sttaff animated adaption.

i actually think it does a lot of things better than the VN its based on, fleshing out the world through referencing and even including elements of other routes, Melty Blood, Kaghetsu Toya ect without hundreds of lines of text and fleshing out Arc and Shiki's relationship makes it one of my favorite TM adaptions to date.

Fate/Zero is excellent tho!

They could burn the Fate route on the VN tho~

That's only the case for people who are ignorant to Arturia's character arc, its an essential building block of the story. We can debate on whether or not Shirou's character was fleshed out enough, portrayed in a good manner or the plot being thin outside of Arturia and their relationship, that's perfectly fine. But i don't get people who hate Fate just because they had the wrong idea of Arturia in their heads and don't like that she has someone she loves, who helps her along. Even strong independent people need others

piflavoredpie

Neo Member
So looking at the Playstation Store, I count 33 DLC costumes, but I'm reading that the Switch version has 35 plus the exclusive Unshackled Bride Nero. There's two missing by my count. Digging around google, I see that in the West, there was a Shackled Bride Nero costume for PS4 preorder bonus and Cold-Blooded Warden Gilgamesh costume for PS Vita preorder bonus. In Japan, it seems there were also Pure Night Dress costumes for both Nero and Arturia. Which of these costumes accounts for the two that I'm missing from my count?

If anyone could clarify this, it'd be great. Thanks!

Yeah, it's somewhere between the PS4 and Vita versions, better visuals than Vita and a much better framerate than Vita but not as smooth or rich as PS4.

When the Switch is docked you get a visual upgrade though rather than a resolution boost, there are thick cel shaded outlines around characters (to match PS4) and what looks like FXAA antialiasing.

I agree. Sakaki Shounen did an excellent job and exceeded everyone's expectations for 10 years straight, which is not something every author of an adaption can claim. its funny to think how it was originally just spinoff promotional material for the horrible JC sttaff animated adaption.

i actually think it does a lot of things better than the VN its based on, fleshing out the world through referencing and even including elements of other routes, Melty Blood, Kaghetsu Toya ect without hundreds of lines of text and fleshing out Arc and Shiki's relationship makes it one of my favorite TM adaptions to date.

Don't forget the topless Arc scenes. That's icing on the cake.

Zafir

This is not the game for Musou fans, but a game for Fate series fans. I think that sums it up.

Yeah, the musou gameplay is decent but I don't think you buy the game for it.

You buy it for the story and the characters, I guess some people might buy it for the waifu-simulation bits too. :p

fatalexe

Extella is really really fast paced compared to typical Musou games. I jumped into DW8XL right after Extella and it was slow as molasses.

This bit from the NintendoLife review sums up my gameplay experience with Extella PS4 version:

Many of these aspects are relatively standard for musou-type titles, but Fate doesn’t feel like a standard musou, and we love it for that. There’s a real emphasis on speed, for one; your characters’ combos slice through enemy hordes with a satisfying sense of forward motion, the chainable dash move (mapped to the ‘R’ button) will send you zooming across the stage, and you can even air dash continuously — by far our favourite way to fly.

rhandino

Banned
That's only the case for people who are ignorant to Arturia's character arc, its an essential building block of the story. We can debate on whether or not Shirou's character was fleshed out enough, portrayed in a good manner or the plot being thin outside of Arturia and their relationship, that's perfectly fine. But i don't get people who hate Fate just because they had the wrong idea of Arturia in their heads and don't like that she has someone she loves, who helps her along. Even strong independent people need others
My big problem with Fate is that, imo, is just the most boring of the 3, Shirou and Saber relationship is kind of a mess and a LOT of things felt like "See this! This is going to be important in the other routes!"

I don't mind Arturia, in fact she is my favorite character from the FSN series because it's original concept, her sense of honor and overall design... too bad a LOT of people liked her and now every time I see something Type-Moon related it has some Saber clone shoehorned in.

I also have some problems with Fate/Zero but mostly because while it feels like a perfect prologue for Heaven's Feel it just feel jarring if you go from Zero to Fate and even UBW.

Me by the time I get to play the Tsukihime Remake or even Mahōtsukai no Yoru.

DGEoPl3.gif

steveovig

I'm torn between whether or not I should get this. I like the Musou games and I've played the hell out of HW, SW, SW Empires, and the One Piece games. Having a game like this on a handheld sounds nice but someone mentioned above to it isn't as good as some of the Tecmo Warriors games.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Theoretically, does the lower on-screen enemy count affect one's ability to complete objectives/achievements/etc.?

Nope. The amount of enemies doesn't affect any of that-- can certainly confirm this since I played a large chunk of the game on the Vita, which has way less enemies of screen.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
I liked the Fate route... It's actually my second favorite, behind UBW.

But that's neither here nor there. I'm definitely tempted to pick this up, either on Switch or PC. ACG's older review was really positive, so I'd like to pick it up. I couldn't suffer through Fate/Extra because of the battle system (I was interested in the story but not enough to play the game), so this might be a more fun entry into this AU.

LordKano

God dammit it's the third time the game crashes and I have to redownload data. Has someone else experienced the issue ? It only did it with this game.

F31 Leopard

Here's a screenshot of how many enemies on screen.

wlHVmRi.jpg

I also took 100 screenshots, made a slide show and then turned it into an animated gif.

bQYEgJg.jpg

So question: why is the UI design in this so incredibly similar to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE? Is this just a thing that a lot of Japanese / idolly games share? Are they somehow secretly connected series?

Here's a screenshot of how many enemies on screen.

wlHVmRi.jpg
Does the Switch version have a camera closer to the character than the PS4? That looks like a good amount of enemies.

It's a decent enough game if you're a fan of the fate/etc stuff or musou games in general but it'll be much tastier when it's $20 on sale in six months.
Knowing this is what's keeping me from even considering this now. FE:W doesn't help much either.

hank_tree

One of the best musuo games I've played. Granted, I haven't played a crazy amount of them. Combat is really enjoyable and Altera is the best.

The biggest issue for me is that the different characters don't play much differently.

And the pitiful number of stages.

Edit: And the god awful story but thankfully that's skippable.

Top Bottom