• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA v EDGE GAMES, the Aftermath. Thread of the Decline and Fall of Tim Langdell

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my guess is correct, it's penne pasta in a vodka/cream sauce.

Damn, now I'm hungry...

Yup, i searched for it before replying. I'm amazed it didn't occur to me during my student days. Oh yes, i remember! Wine is for cooking. Vodka is for drinking WITH the wine sotten chilli/spagbol/anything with a tomato sauce really.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. This thread has been one hell of a ride. It's hard to believe it's all been going on for two and a half years. Amazing work phisheep.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Wow. This thread has been one hell of a ride. It's hard to believe it's all been going on for two and a half years. Amazing work phisheep.

Damn right. I really hadn't expected that long a ride. Although it was a bit linear.

The difficulty is the follow-up thread is probably going to be harder to follow, because this judgment is like a firework explosion setting all sorts of different things off. Appeals, civil cases, criminal cases all over the place, and not all of them publicly available.

I'll do my best to keep it more-or-less comrehensible though!

Maybe someone from a country who's people are allowed fireworks all year round could set some off as a celebration and symbolic demonstration? They're on the naughty list for us in the UK at the moment :(

I may be older but i still like saying 'ooohhhh' and staring at the pretty lights in the sky!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Maybe someone from a country who's people are allowed fireworks all year round could set some off as a celebration and symbolic demonstration? They're on the naughty list for us in the UK at the moment :(

I may be older but i still like saying 'ooohhhh' and staring at the pretty lights in the sky!

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure you not any older than I am Edward. Unless you want the GAF gold medal for being old (I warn you, it is damn heavy), but if you can afford the postage I'll be glad to get rid of it!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm standing behind you mate - pass over those rings. Mmmm.
wfeO0Th.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Popping my head in to say "hi". How's the party going?

Hi jet,

Quite a peaceful setup really. Quite enjoying it - not too crowded so long as you stay out of the kitchen (I notice a few members vanished there swiftly!).

But, for a change, it's really pleasant just sitting in this thread chatting to people as they come by, rather than having to do legal commentary on everything all the time.

Good to have a chill break. Here, grab a glass of whatever's left over ...

I was going to ask what party rings were... I imagined them to be something faintly naughty... Typing this as an ad for what I assume are boobs (SnorgTees) displays across the top of the page.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Actually I was talking about this thread. But if you are saying the next one will me even more hard to follow I will be having some more wine.

You'll need your wine. Even at my best , the next one is likely to be tough to follow.

This is like where the game tells you to please insert disc two. Except there's also a chance there's a third disc that you don't have cause the guy at the rental store was lazy and forgot to include it in the box.

You got it!

I was going to ask what party rings were... I imagined them to be something faintly naughty... Typing this as an ad for what I assume are boobs (SnorgTees) displays across the top of the page.

I imagine the best thing to do is to invite you in for some party rings, yeah?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Are you sure you haven't boozed up too much cause thats the second time you quoted my reply

Probably Was trying to sweep up any leftovers and failed. Going to ask bish to close of this thread and open the new one up, and then we're back to business as ususal.

Bedtime for me.

Jintor

Sometime this month (April 2013) Tim Langdell did something that puts him on a direct collision course with a District Attorney's Office in California.

Anything to do with the complaints against the lawyers?

I'd toast to you but I just woke up, it's only 9am here and I don't want to be drinking so early in the day

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Anything to do with the complaints against the lawyers?

I'd toast to you but I just woke up, it's only 9am here and I don't want to be drinking so early in the day

Yeah, these time differences are a bit of a pest, eh?

But you're the first to pick up on that point.

Might as well explain it now. (Though I will repeat it in the new thread for anyone that misses out). It's the complaints against the lawyers that is the difficulty for Langdell for three reasons:

1) complaints and investigations against lawyers are supposed to confidential until there is a charge, which Langdell has blown a bit by flagging them on an open court docket - but that's not the biggest problem

2) part of the process of investigating complaints against lawyers is the cross examination of witnesses, and we know already the sort of lengths Langdell goes to avoid cross examination, but that's not it either

3) the big problem for Langdell (assuming that he is not lying about having made the complaints) is that under the California State Bar Act it is a misdemeanour - that is, a criminal offence - to lay a false and malicious accusation against an attorney. Langdell's accusations are clearly false and almost certainly malicious. And the California Bar has (by statute) the authority to refer such accusations directly to the District Attorney for prosecution. Maybe more importantly, and under the same statute, the California Bar may continue the investigation - including some things that might be unpalateable to Langdell such as cross-examination - even if the complaint is withdrawn.

So yes. The complaints against attorneys are a big problem for Langdell, as they lead him into a direct collision course with a DA's office somewhere down the line. And (unless he's lying and hasn't actually filed the complaints, in which case it is perjury), there is no wiggle room - because withdrawing the complaints doesn't stop the investigation.

This has been a pretty good party; we've had food, booze, and an Edge(tm)-y party clown to keep us entertained.

Can't wait for the after party to begin.

I re-read most of the thread. Still very entertaining, especially this write-up from RPS.

One thing I noticed that wasn't ever discussed - has anyone from GAF ever made a direct suggestion to anyone involved? Something along the lines of, hey Mr. Lawyer, it might be in your best interests to pursue this person for his libelous comments? Or would that be taking things a bit too far and we certainly couldn't discuss it if such things had ever occurred?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
One thing I noticed that wasn't ever discussed - has anyone from GAF ever made a suggestion to anyone involved? Something along the lines of, hey Mr. Lawyer, it might be in your best interests to pursue this person for his libelous comments? Or would that be taking things a bit too far and we certainly couldn't discuss it if such things had ever occurred?

I'm not aware that there has been any direct contact between GAF posters and parties in the case or their lawyers.

There is circumstantial but compelling evidence that Langdell has read and acted upon posts in this thread at least twice.

And I've made a fewndirect tactical suggestions to Langdell in this thread, not that he has paid a blind bit of notice to any of them.

But it is not any of our business to go out telling the parties what to do. It is their case, not ours.

@phisheep: One last question for you: what made you follow this case so closely? You've devoted a hell of a lot of time tracking stuff down and explaining to the proletariat (us), and I was curious as to why this whole debacle maintained your interest for so long.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
@phisheep: One last question for you: what made you follow this case so closely? You've devoted a hell of a lot of time tracking stuff down and explaining to the proletariat (us), and I was curious as to why this whole debacle maintained your interest for so long.

Simple answer is: I saw it and didn't want to let it go; I had enough technical legal skill to follow it; I had enough explanatory skill to be able to explain it; and nobody else was doing it!

And to a large extent, I think, I want to know how the story ends. And I don't necessarily trust anyone else to tell me how it ends. Or even when. Even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom