• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubnbob

Banned
Ok I'm going to be "that guy" and complain about this, but WTF at Bejeweled's GAme Center achievements.

Everything wants you to do the impossible or grind yourself silly, and you only get like 6 points for it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ok I'm going to be "that guy" and complain about this, but WTF at Bejeweled's GAme Center achievements.

Everything wants you to do the impossible or grind yourself silly, and you only get like 6 points for it.

Well you're in luck, since GC acheivements are worth exactly fuck all :D I used to be all about them on XBL, but I don't even think i've checked them on iOS.

But yes, those impossible acheivements are not cool. I think they're there just for autistic people. You know, to keep them busy and off the streets.

Jimrpg

But where's the fun in that? Personally I'm leaning towards my next game being a 3D action adventure/zelda clone

Yeah i know, thats the conundrum isn't it? You want to make a game that appeals to you but a niche product reduces the target audience. The 'easier' you make it to understand and play, the more likely there's a bigger audience. Like I was thinking about making a platform game, and I've been deciding whether to use a d-pad and jump button or make it an endless runner with a one button tap jump. Obviously the correct answer is whatever suits the gameplay the best. But all things being equal, there's probably a bigger audience with the endless runner simply because the mechanics are easier to pick up. Well to be honest I don't know about this - its just my gut feel. At the same time the endless runner could be incredibly shallow!

Anyway looks like the guy put a big effort into it, I hope he's successful. To work so hard and not get the reward would be disappointing!

From what I can tell the game was originally concepted as a board game ~6 years ago, has been available as a free online game since March 2009, available on Android since November 2011, and just released on iOS last week .

So it seems he's been at this fairly singularly for a while, and listening to him converse he seems beyond committed to the product and is very interested in the player experience and input.

This is from the app description.

Mind boggles at one man jobs... so much to learn and get good at.

Rlan

ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME BEJEWELED ADDED GAME CENTER LEADERBOARDS

Unfortunately my previous best Diamond Mine score (1,347,000) is not uploaded on there :(

Zeth

If anyone is actively playing Bug Princess 2, add me, ZethGAF. Sorry, I know I've posted this before, but I need some more competition to put me in my place. (still haven't 1CCed Original)

colinp

Banned
That is the type of game I can't imagine playing well on the iPhone screen, seems way more suited for just iPad.

You may be right, but damn I think I'm going to dip in and find out for myself. I don't have an iPad and have too many fond memories of this game.

Here's the link. $2.99 and a separate version from iPad, as noted above.

SteveWD40

zlUsv.gif

Between this, Shadow Era and Ascension, the iPad truly is the TCG format of choice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Between this, Shadow Era and Ascension, the iPad truly is the TCG format of choice.

Yeah, and the thing I'm REALLY excited about with MtG is that it's premade decks. In theory, I get what I pay for up front. I LOVE Shadow Era, but I've been out of the loop for too long to catch back up without paying a good amount up front.

PittaGAF

He has a pretty good start with that.
I'm just hoping for a little more content (at not too steep a cost) to flesh it out.

Right now with just basically skirmishes I can't get too into it too much.
Dont care about mp really .. async or otherwise.
Would like a proper campaign ... but it sounded like maybe he wanted to hold that for a separate game. (?)

But the basis is certainly solid and I'm interested to see which direction he decides to go with it.

You know I love games like this and this looks like a brilliant effort BUT gee I wonder how long he spent on it if its just the one guy? I was reading about a two man effort for Catch the Monkey and it took them two years. I don't think its worth the risk to build a niche product if you're a one man team because its just not possible to get the sales. Unfortunately you're way better off building an endless runner or angry birds clone with a twist.

But seriously good luck to the guy, I hope he does well enough out of it.

I've read it took him 6 years...he already have the game and a community.
The game was ported to Android some months ago and now on iPhone.
Cross platform multiplayer works brilliantly...I played with 2 guys, one on Android and one via the browser (it's free).
I was on my iPhone.
The game is really fun, I'm really enjoying it...both the single player game and the online matches (there are various types...versus, free for all, co op....).

I must confess I'm enjoying it much more than I thought since it lacks async...online matches are fast so it's not a problem...it's like playing a VERY FAST Carcassonne game when both opponent are online, with online chat too.

If curious, just try the online version, it's really the same game.

The 'strange' thing is that it has a story based tutorial and a story-free game.
Dev seems willing to add many things..but the game is great as it is imho.

EDIT: Oh I forgot...the random battle, which is the core of the solo gameplay versus a BRUTAL AI, is really fun and varied, thanks to the fact that you have everytime a random selection of spells at your disposal (cards, from a deck of 80 if I recall well) and you have to win combining them in the most efficient way.
Yesterday my opponent really surprised me.
I hid my mage behind a wall....he was able to destroy the wall with magic and the firing a thunderbolt through the wall hole to my mage.
I survived, but it was realy cool.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, and the thing I'm REALLY excited about with MtG is that it's premade decks. In theory, I get what I pay for up front. I LOVE Shadow Era, but I've been out of the loop for too long to catch back up without paying a good amount up front.

Lol, don't think it won't have tons of IAP. You get a basic pre-made deck upfront, then there are like 20+ cards to unlock for each deck, which each unlock requires you winning a game. So if you want to be competitive with multiple decks, you either need to invest dozens and dozens of hours unlocking 100s of cards, or purchase unlock codes or else you won't have access to the cards your opponents are using. And then there's foiled cards which are generally only obtainable w/ DLC as well...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lol, don't think it won't have tons of IAP. You get a basic pre-made deck upfront, then there are like 20+ cards to unlock for each deck, which each unlock requires you winning a game. So if you want to be competitive with multiple decks, you either need to invest dozens and dozens of hours unlocking 100s of cards, or purchase unlock codes or else you won't have access to the cards your opponents are using. And then there's foiled cards which are generally only obtainable w/ DLC as well...

Oh, I haven't played a DotP style Magic game before (I played the demo on 360 and enjoyed it a little, but haven't touched one since). If that's the case, I mean...At least it's MtG on iOS? :\

vesp

Oh, I haven't played a DotP style Magic game before (I played the demo on 360 and enjoyed it a little, but haven't touched one since). If that's the case, I mean...At least it's MtG on iOS? :\

This is a little overstated. It might take dozens and dozens of hours to unlock everything in the game, but fully unlocking the few decks that speak to you takes far less time. The unlock codes were reasonably cheap (I think I saw the unlock everything except foils code on steam sale for less than a dollar), and the foils are just silly visual variants that have no bearing on the game whatsoever.

There will be a couple of cheap dlc/expansion packs though (normally a handful of $2 new deck packs and a $5 expansion with a few decks and more single player campaign stuff)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Whoa, that joypad app that turns your iPhone into a controller is legit. I just played through a bunch of LoE2 with it on my iPad. It was great. All games should support this!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
My review of Total War Battles is up at Pocket Gamer

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Total+War+Battles:+Shogun/review.asp?c=40137

In a nutshell, it's very heavily streamlined for the mobile experience. Lanes, tiles, no micromanagement and no health bars. It's more like Plants vs Zombies than anything in the Total War franchise.

But it's all the better for that, because it lets you actually get full, satisfying match done in a single 10 minute bus ride. And it's still packed tight with strategic depth and tactical options. You'll sneak up on enemies, attack from afar, and exploit bottlenecks.

mza_3019586904651737552.320x480-75.jpg

Whoa, that joypad app that turns your iPhone into a controller is legit. I just played through a bunch of LoE2 with it on my iPad. It was great. All games should support this!

or just wait til apple or icade releases a controller. the icade one is coming. I'm probably getting one.

GeekyDad

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Total+War+Battles:+Shogun/review.asp?c=40137

In a nutshell, it's very heavily streamlined for the mobile experience. Lanes, tiles, no micromanagement and no health bars. It's more like Plants vs Zombies than anything in the Total War franchise.

But it's all the better for that, because it lets you actually get full, satisfying match done in a single 10 minute bus ride. And it's still packed tight with strategic depth and tactical options. You'll sneak up on enemies, attack from afar, and exploit bottlenecks.

What's your verdict on the IAP? For such an expensive app, it seems like a pretty big consideration.

did spell tower or puzzle juice come first? such a ripoff. I could be wrong

Spell Tower came out first but was inspired by in-dev Puzzle Juice.

They are really quite different games though, so your call out is pretty wrong.

Also BUY SPELL TOWER AT $0.99 AND SUPPORT ZACH GAGE AKA ONE OF THE BEST, MOST TALENTED AND COOLEST DUDES IN VIDEO GAMES. LONG LIVE ZACH. LONG LIVE ZACH.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Crow is $2 off, I'm still a little apprehensive on picking it up. Is it a must play, unique iOS experience?

Mrbob

Holy crap there is a Total War Shogun game out for IOS? Hotness.

Edit: Read the pocket gamer review, hype slightly deflated. I'll still get it though since I love Total War Shogun games. And bought!

mza_3019586904651737552.320x480-75.jpg

How does this compare to the Bloodshow games, the other sega lane games, as it looks kind of similar.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does Wizards hate money? I can't fathom how much they're leaving on the table by not making an iOS client for mtg online.

I wonder if they're worried about jailbreaking or something (profits via IAP's or adding cards illegally)? I don't know...That's a good question. Maybe this release will be the first step in the right direction?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there a NeoGAF ClashMob yet?

Not that I know of but that would be a good idea. As a side note, I've noticed that Infinity BLade II doesn't seem to have enough players/high enough level players in general to complete a lot of these challenges. I think they need to tweak them a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not that I know of but that would be a good idea. As a side note, I've noticed that Infinity BLade II doesn't seem to have enough players/high enough level players in general to complete a lot of these challenges. I think they need to tweak them a bit.

I was reading the TA Clashmob thread...It sounded like it was REALLY tough, even for that huge community.

Is IB2 worth it? Having a group multiplayer aspect sort of intrigues me now...I played IB1 a LOT, but it got boring after I couldn't figure out what the hell was up with the
minus bloodlines
and stuff.

The End

Yeah, definitely not tweaked to the actual number of players. I'm contributing what I can (lvl 70, almost max gear) and for a lot of these the goal is just too high.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was reading the TA Clashmob thread...It sounded like it was REALLY tough, even for that huge community.

Is IB2 worth it? Having a group multiplayer aspect sort of intrigues me now...I played IB1 a LOT, but it got boring after I couldn't figure out what the hell was up with the
minus bloodlines
and stuff.

IB2 is better than the original...more paths, items, and fighting styles available but the gameplay is largely the same. Prettier. You are still just going to be doing a ton of grinding again. I only have it because I got it via Freemyapps.com for free. Twas 800pts. I don't think I'd buy it unless it were on sale for cheap.

The mob stuff isn't that great. You don't actually actively interact with anyone. Basically there are just daily challenges to complete. For example, there is a monster with like 1 million HP and you get 30 seconds to try and do as much damage as possible to him. Everyone else in the mob does the same independently. If everyone playing clashmobs adds up to doing that 1million damage you get some reward. I don't know anyone else playing the game but I think if you have other people in the mob in your GameCenter friends list you get additional rewards or more time to complete the challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom