• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many eggs do you eat in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parahan

I could be wrong but from my understanding it's the good kind of fat. Also, if you actually watch what you eat, you can avoid other types of bad fats, so you're still getting your daily allowance of fats but it's he good kind.

Eggs are such a good cheap source of protein it's my favorite super food. So many different ways to cook and perfect for weightlifting. I usually eat 6 eggs every morning and especially directly after lifting. With a bowl of oatmeal, the stats look like this:

46g protein
512 calories
22g carbs
23G fat

7g sat. Fat

Good stuff

Well if you are into weightlifting than your RDA will vary. But the "good fat" you are talking about is partly true. 1 egg has around 5g fat ,roughly 3 is unsaturated (good kind) and 2 is saturated(this clogs up the arteries).

So American Heart Association recommends not more than 6% of your total calories should be from saturated fat. Example, In a standard person eating 2000 Cal, the limit is 13g. So that dude who is having 15 eggs per day (30g saturated fat) is hopefully weight training like you.

yami4ct

I only eat eggs when they're in baked goods or something else, so I eat less than 1 a day on average.

I really dislike plain eggs.

Xe4

Banned
I'd say around a half. It swings wildly, where I'll have three for a day for a few days whIle I'm craving eggs, and then none for a long ass while.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Who needs dedicated fitness forums, when you can just come here and find a topic about keto and protein every other post. Anyone else miss the days when you could just go about life without worrying about body fat %?

God forbid some people share their eating habits.

Wood Man

I love deviled eggs. My wife makes them so good. We recently started adding salsa and a little piece of candy bacon. Freakin' heaven.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Who needs dedicated fitness forums, when you can just come here and find a topic about keto and protein every other post. Anyone else miss the days when you could just go about life without worrying about body fat %?

You sound upset. Just ignore the threads and move on.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I used to make scrambled eggs with cubed bacon for breakfast every day for a year or two. I probably should've done at least something else with the eggs, but hey, it's not a crime to be lazy and/or culinarily non-creative.

Camwi

Well if you are into weightlifting than your RDA will vary. But the "good fat" you are talking about is partly true. 1 egg has around 5g fat ,roughly 3 is unsaturated (good kind) and 2 is saturated(this clogs up the arteries).

So American Heart Association recommends not more than 6% of your total calories should be from saturated fat. Example, In a standard person eating 2000 Cal, the limit is 13g. So that dude who is having 15 eggs per day (30g saturated fat) is hopefully weight training like you.

Isn't that reversed?

jimmyd

6 jumbo size eggs on most days, after weight training. Takes about 20-25 mins to eat, pretty much the perfect amount of time to watch an episode of something too.

What's the best way to get the shells off these fuckers? We make a dozen a week and leave them in the fridge. The work to get the shells off when they are cold sucks.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What's the best way to get the shells off these fuckers? We make a dozen a week and leave them in the fridge. The work to get the shells off when they are cold sucks.
What do mean? Boiled eggs? You roll 'em.

I boil them for about 12-15 minutes max, and rinse in cold water.

DJ_Lae

It's a crap shoot - I believe older eggs are easier to peel as that membrane portion has weakened/dissolved somewhat.

You can get around that by hard boiling eggs in a pressure cooker, which is a bit bizarre but works really well.

And some of it is probably down to the chicken's diet, too, so if you get the right combination of elements you're going to get one of those eggs that are impossible to peel without mutilating them.

Ron-Swanson-All-Bacon-Eggs.gif

3-4 for breakfast. None after that though, and obviously sometimes you need switch things up for the sake of variety.

Boiled eggs fill up fast and for a long time, making a pseudo-fasting (intermittent fasting) diet a lot easier to accomplish. There is also zero harm in it and is probably better than a bread belly.

arigato

Zero, smell of grocery store hard boiled eggs is putrid and nauseating to me.
2-3 per day, only 100% pasture raised farm eggs. The flavor, color and nutrition compared to store bought eggs is simply, unquestionably superior in every way.

Everyone, buy a dozen farm stand eggs. You'll see. And you'll thank me.

drspeedy farmhouse eggs inc paid for this message. Free shipping offer not available in all states
True, farm fresh eggs never gave me a nasty migraine like those grocery store ones did.

Regginator

Twice a day. Sometimes I skip a day if I don't have any eggs available, and very rarely I'll eat four eggs in one day. But weekly, that shouldn't be more than 14.

I love eggs.

dralla

This is old, outdated "information". Saturated fat does not clog arteries.

Maybe 4 a week. 2 saturday and 2 sunday.

I'm not a big fan of boiled eggs and I don't take the time before or after work to make them.

Sai-kun

Banned
i haven't eaten eggs since i had a burger with an egg on it a couple months ago

and before that it was years since i had an egg

drspeedy

Yes I meant hard boiled. Feel like they taste more fresh when I leave the shell on until eating.
Thanks for the tips guys.

Eggs need to be >10 days old to peel well when boiled, but that isn't an issue for store bought eggs... usually. The reason is twofold: first, store eggs are always washed in a hot sterilizing bath to remove contaminants (spolier: it's poo), which because of the temp and chemicals starts a reaction that begins to release the shell from the inner membrane. And second, typically your store eggs are at least a week old before they even arrive. That and the bath are why they only last 2-3 weeks before going bad. Fresh (aka from a real farm), clean, refrigerated eggs are good for 3-4 months! If you know the 'born on' date and that they're clean, eggs are amazingly resilient in the fridge.

My advice: Don't use vinegar! Egg shells are porus, and something like 99% calcium carbonate- a base. Vinegar is an acid... Simple chemistry here... it may work to loosen the shell, but it also adds a gnarly taste since its both breaking down the composition of the shell and permeating into the egg at the same time. Heck, leave a raw egg in vinegar for a couple days, it'll be a damned bouncy ball. Crazy science experiment, but kinda fun.

If you steam your eggs for 20 mins then dunk them in a quick ice water bath they'll peel like magic. The steam passes through the porus surface of the egg, didlodges the membrane, and the ice water makes sure the whites are solidified and not gelatinous (the biggest problem with peeling eggs). Steam and ice is way more easy than anything else.

Also: try pickling eggs. After they're hard boiled, of course. So good, and there's hundreds of great recipes out there. They'll keep for ages, too.

McLovin

Minimum 2-3, sometimes I get up to 5 if I'm lazy. Like if I have 5 minutes to make something quick for lunch.
My cholesterol doesn't seem to be affected at all either. I do notice it shoots up if I eat carbs, but I don't so yeah...

I try to keep it to zero on most days. I hate eggs. Unless they are pickled. I know that's weird. Sometimes I will also consume them in something like potato salad or baked goods.

Finding out that there are people out there that eat 11 eggs a day, it's going to take me a little to process this information. Reminds me of that work lunch scene in Napoleon Dynamite, the one that makes me gag.

I'm currently on the Atkins diet, so quite a few. I'll eat 4 extra large eggs, or 5 just regular eggs. I do them all different ways except hard boiled.Typically I'll make them with four pieces of bacon and two slices of cheddar cheese. Currently down thirty pounds, so I'm getting there. But boy do I miss egg sandwiches.

Shadybiz

Don't need the cholesterol.

Don't support the deplorable way it treats our fellow animals.

Not weight training, get 100g of protein a day from legumes, grains, tree nuts, seeds, and vegetables.

I understand your point about the mistreatment of animals, but the bolded needs to go away so hard. Far too many people still think that dietary cholesterol is bad for you.

Page 90 of 571, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom