• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

ffdgh

These latest interviews have done so much damage, and deteriorated the atmosphere around here, it's a real pity :/

Please, keep your head cool, the E3 is coming fast, don't wanna lose any more active members :(

Looking at how odd today was, Its going to get worse.

Penguin

I hope not. Sim racers are so freaking boring.

While I agree with you on a personal level, you also have to realize from a business standpoint, it would make sense for Nintendo to broaden their own net.

While Mario Kart is the most popular racing franchise in the world, there are a lot of people the series doesn't serve, and this could bring in a decent ground.

I think the idea of using the tablet to customize your car also sounds awesome. And not too taxing since I assume would be done independently of the actual racing.

I mean while we are here, and saw talks of a Retro FPS. What other genres should Nintendo look to expand into next gen?

StevieP

Banned
Ohh shit :(
hope he comes back before the apocalypse :(

What'd Uber do? lol

I've been trying to stress this lately. It ain't worth it.

I *can* see how Nintendo would release a system that's only slightly better than current gen from what we've gathered in this thread. I cannot see how it's possible that what they have in there can even be misinterpreted as "weaker", unless they're using a PPC470 or something like that as their CPU instead of the IBMCU45HP that wsippel has speculated.

Here's a stupid question to change the mood here(oh wait...):

What gets the more drastic redesign for E3???

The controller or the console???

And by drastic, of course I mean "minimal if anything".

While I agree with you on a personal level, you also have to realize from a business standpoint, it would make sense for Nintendo to broaden their own net.

While Mario Kart is the most popular racing franchise in the world, there are a lot of people the series doesn't serve, and this could bring in a decent ground.

I think the idea of using the tablet to customize your car also sounds awesome. And not too taxing since I assume would be done independently of the actual racing.

I mean while we are here, and saw talks of a Retro FPS. What other genres should Nintendo look to expand into next gen?
They need more RPGs. I don't just mean like Xenoblade and Paper Mario. I mean like Mass Effect and Demon Souls. Stuff that can appeal to a large audience.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
If i remember correctly, you hinted towards a total of 1.5 GB of total RAM. If i remember your post from before your edit correctly, you said "yes it's more than that"... meaning more than 512 MB for the OS. And one of the early rumors (not coming from you) about the system RAM was 768 MB (lost in translation as eDRAM and probably reserved for games). So if my math is still sound, that might all add up.

More than that, that referring to the amount your guessed from your previous post :p

But yes, it's a huge quantity.

Christine

These latest interviews have done so much damage, and deteriorated the atmosphere around here, it's a real pity :/

Please, keep your head cool, the E3 is coming fast, don't wanna lose any more active members :(

I've been trying to decide whether or not to re-post my filk from last E3. You tipped the balance, my friend.

This goes out to Ubermatik and all the console warriors who've been cast into the outer darkness.

You see me now a veteran of a couple console wars
I've been posting on the GAF so long
Where the nerds rage and uproar
And I'm young enough to look good
And far too proud to say
I'm a fanboy on the inside
I'm not sure if there's anything worth a play

Don't let these posts go on
It's time we had a break from it
It's time we skipped E3
We've been hyping shitty games
We've been eating up our brains
Oh, please don't let these posts go on

You ask me why I'm jaded, can't let nostalgia go
You blame me for my bias
Tell me to stop being shallow
But the war's still going on dear
And there's no end that I see
And I can't say if there's ever...
Ever gonna be anything worth a play

It's time we skipped E3
We've been hyping shitty games
We've been eating up our brains

You see me now a veteran of a couple console wars
My venom is spent at last
And my insouciance is destroyed
I have used up all my sarcasm; my precious acerbity
Trolling is all I have left
Did I hear you say that this is victory?

Send me to the rear
Where the rants of fanboys fade
And I'm out of the crusade

Penguin

They need more RPGs. I don't just mean like Xenonlade and Paper Mario. I mean like Mass Effect and Demon Souls. Stuff that can appeal to a large audience.

Does it appeal to a large audience than Gran Turismo though? Or Forza? Fairly certain GT 5 has outsold ME 2 and Demon Souls and probably Dark Souls combined. On a single platform.

u-controller-redesign-2.png

Come on, Nintendo. DO IT.

Ps, I'm going to do the Console next.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

I want a Nintendo X Westwood (i know i know, EA, blabla, Victory Games, yadda yadda) X Blizzard cross-over for the ultimate home system RTS ever made, with Pikachu armies against Mammoth Tank & Protoss Carrier.

Does it appeal to a large audience than Gran Turismo though? Or Forza? Fairly certain GT 5 has outsold ME 2 and Demon Souls and probably Dark Souls combined. On a single platform.
I'm not saying one or the other. The question was asked what genres Nintendo should expand into. RPGs like ME and the like are huge sellers and would be an excellent investment. Far better than some Nintendo has made
Captain Rainbow

Penguin

I want a Nintendo X Westwood (i know i know, EA, blabla, Victory Games, yadda yadda) X Blizzard cross-over for the ultimate home system RTS ever made, with Pikachu armies against Mammoth Tank & Protoss Carrier.

Nintendo X Capcom always seemed to be leaving money on the table as well. And would even be a great way to re-introduce MegaMan after.. this past generation's treatment.

I'm not saying one or the other. The question was asked what genres Nintendo should expand into. RPGs like ME and the like are huge sellers and would be an excellent investment. Far better than some Nintendo has made
Captain Rainbow

I feel like RPGs are one of the genres they most invested into this gen with Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time/Bowser's Inside Story, Pokemon, Golden Sun 3 and I'm sure a ton missing on the DS.

lednerg

Going by that page with the hardware device codes on it, we know that the controller has gone through a few revisions since E3. I've seen some hints about it possibly having analog triggers, so that could be the extent of the changes, at least as far as we'd notice. Then there was that weird rumor about air pressure sensors or something a month or so ago. Anyway, my guess would be the controller would see the most, if any changes.

The console itself really just has to be a shape. It has a "design language" which is consistent with that of the controller, namely the rounded rectangle. (Wii went with the basic shape of an SD card, a rectangle with a chipped corner) So unless the shape of the controller is also going to change dramatically, I'm thinking the console itself will be pretty much untouched.

Christine

Nintendo X Capcom always seemed to be leaving money on the table as well. And would even be a great way to re-introduce MegaMan after.. this past generation's treatment.

Honestly they should just disavow any mention of this alleged "mega" Man and position Rockman as a new IP.

Poor Ubermatik, hopefully he'll make it back before E3. I was on lunch today and saw his Aliens CM thread and had a feeling that would be the start of a bad course....

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
They need more RPGs. I don't just mean like Xenoblade and Paper Mario. I mean like Mass Effect and Demon Souls. Stuff that can appeal to a large audience.

Imagine a Knight of the old Republic 4 with a Berserk Jedi as the main protagonist, wielding a huge two-handed light saber, controlled via padlet motions. You're holding the sub-screen like a cheeseboard or an encyclopedia and sweep the air as if you manipulate the biggest melee weapon ever seen in the Star Wars expanded universe.

Sold with protein supplements and cream against muscle-harm.

We really need a star wars rpg on Wii U ><

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Console, as it has little personality. Plus they kept some design parts, such as the shape of the plugs, exactly the same as Wii... which hints that they are not 100% finished. As for the controller, except for the button placement, I think it's perfect. The roundedness makes it very user friendly.

Scum

Holy shit! What's up with all these contradicting news about the Wii U lately? How can something with tech from atleast 1-2yrs ago be less powerful than tech from nearly 6yrs ago?
Maybe someone saw a lower clock speed number than the X360 and put 1 and 1 together and came up with 2x...?

Instro

Don't worry, the rumor smells like bullshit. Lucid is working on a character based UE3 game, is looking for a level designer, and has a mere 25 employees - most certainly not a racing simulation.

Yeah, I just wanted to be crazy for a moment.

lednerg

Console, as it has little personality. Plus they kept some design parts, such as the shape of the plugs, exactly the same as Wii... which hints that they are not 100% finished. As for the controller, except for the button placement, I think it's perfect. The roundedness makes it very user friendly.

I'm hoping they stick with them because that means I won't have to get new component cords for my SDTV, and I could use the same sensor bar on both. Also, the power connector is the reverse of the Wii's, so it's not the exact same.

BrhysH

Sorry if this has been posted already

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/gearbox-boss-says-impressive-wii-u-a-really-nice-bridge-to-the/

"There's a lot that we can do with that screen," Pitchford said. "It's a really cool system -- it's pretty powerful. I want to be careful, because I don't want to risk any sensitive information that Nintendo's not ready to share yet, but in our experience it's a great system. I think it's a really nice bridge to the next generation. I think people will be surprised. I don't know off the top of my head how many of the specs they've released, so I want to be very careful not to jump the gun, but we're very pleased with the hardware. And even since they gave us our first alpha kit, our very first 'pre-prototype' development hardware that they kind of let us play around with, they've done so many things to make the platform better. So it's getting better for us as developers.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm hoping they stick with them because that means I won't have to get new component cords for my SDTV, and I could use the same sensor bar on both. Also, the power connector is the reverse of the Wii's, so it's not the exact same.

I may be over thinking it, but the cut corners of the holes was from a design convention found on the original Wii on the case, stand, wrist strap, power brick, etc., which is totally absent on this new box.

I kinda wish they'd make the console two-toned with a light grey to go worth the white, similar to you see with athletic wear.

Azure J

Oh man...

Imagine if Capcom MegaMan Zero-d the character.

Like make him a really gritty 3rd person shooter action star!

See, one part of me wants to see a Ratchet & Clank like 3D Classic Megaman game, another wants to see a Vanquish like MMX game (emphasis on the mobility and boss battles really, 3rd person shooter stuff can be toned down a little for platforming design), or a Devil May Cry like Megaman Zero kinda game, but I just know that they would totally use that as an impetus to milk that gameplay style to death.

Also MMZ was great though the last game and its ending fucking sucked. :p

HylianTom

Banned
See, one part of me wants to see a Ratchet & Clank like 3D Classic Megaman game, another wants to see a Vanquish like MMX game (emphasis on the mobility and boss battles really, 3rd person shooter stuff can be toned down a little for platforming design), or a Devil May Cry like Megaman Zero kinda game, but I just know that they would totally use that as an impetus to milk that gameplay style to death.

Also MMZ was great though the last game and its ending fucking sucked. :p

I haven't been following the MegaMan series since waaaay back, so please forgive me if this is widely known: is there a game in the series that serves as the definitive MegaMan origin story?

Gahiggidy

I may be over thinking it, but the cut corners of the holes was from a design convention found on the original Wii on the case, stand, wrist strap, power brick, etc., which is totally absent on this new box.

I kinda wish they'd make the console two-toned with a light grey to go worth the white, similar to you see with athletic wear.

Wii U should look like this:

uaL.jpg

Top Bottom