• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

KiN0

Given this news along with the fact that SMT 4 is being released on 3DS, is there any chance that the Wii u could become Atlus platform of choice.

If they going FE route for gameplay, they need to do SMT justice and have all those protagonists be unique units.

Game probably won't be going for M rating. So that means no Diane, Mara, etc representing SMT :(

Diane could be in it, she'll just be the nipple-less version from SJ.

Himself

But Persona games aren't really Shin Megami Tensei (at least in Japan, they are only Persona).

OK this makes sense.

Full disclosure: I actually haven't played any SMT games other than Persona (eek!) and i was thinking about starting a topic about this to help me know what else to play. All I know is they are all supposedly great. Nocturne? Digital Devil Saga? Where do I start? Which are the best? What makes them different? I heard Digital Devil Saga takes place in a world where it never stops raining and this appeals to me. Maybe I'll start there.

bonercop

Every SMT game that gets announced that isn't Persona 5 annoys me a little more.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/2...-now-and-august-2013-including-dragons-crown/

chill, we'll hear about it soonish. Probably in march, like the last 2 entries.
If they going FE route for gameplay, they need to do SMT justice and have all those protagonists be unique units.

Game probably won't be going for M rating. So that means no Diane, Mara, etc representing SMT :(
Having a billion unique classes is kinda dumb, why even have classes at that point? FE has a class dedicated to slender, young male swordsmen

Beth Cyra

OK this makes sense.

Full disclosure: I actually haven't played any SMT games other than Persona (eek!) and i was thinking about starting a topic about this to help me know what else to play. All I know is they are all supposedly great. Nocturne? Digital Devil Saga? Where do I start? Which are the best? What makes them different? I heard Digital Devil Saga takes place in a world where it never stops raining and this appeals to me. Maybe I'll start there.

Do you like a great RPG that can be incredibly cruel when it comes to diffculty? If so then you owe it to yourself to get Nocturne.

CSX

Having a billion unique classes is kinda dumb, why even have classes at that point? FE has a class dedicated to slender, young male swordsmen

Just have them under one unique class called MegaTen Lord :p

We did have 3 different lords for FE at one point in the same game.

Himself

Do you like a great RPG that can be incredibly cruel when it comes to diffculty? If so then you owe it to yourself to get Nocturne.

What's kept me away from trying other SMTs is their reputation of being grind fests. The reason I enjoy the Persona games is because I can play them on easy, not because i dislike a challenge, but I hate having to level characters instead of actually getting better at a game. But I love Persona so much I really want to give the other SMTs a shot.

So difficulty=OK. Excessive, mandatory grinding=not OK.

Beth Cyra

What's kept me away from trying other SMTs is their reputation of being grind fests. The reason I enjoy the Persona games is because I can play them on easy, not because i dislike a challenge, but I hate having to level characters instead of actually getting better at a game. But I love Persona so much I really want to give the other SMTs a shot.

Eh, that is a good one. Some of them can be grinders from what I've heard, but nothing that bothered me. The fact is I grind the shit out each of my Persona 3 play throughs, horribly so on Portable where it isn't an issue to have everything. So I wouldn't notice how much bad/worse it would be.

Gunna need someone who is more into SMT to get a better judge because I could lead you astray on this one.

cj_iwakura

They're really not.

SMTs are more about using your skills and demons properly. You can be level 100 in Nocturne and still easily die in a bad round.

KarmaCow

I've only played Strange Journey and the Devil Survivor games but I found it to be the opposite. Grinding doesn't really help you because you rely on demons for battles and they get outclassed by new demons fairly regularly. Planning both in terms of choosing/fusing demons and tactics in battle are far more important than your actual level.

VXLbeast

Although I can't really wrap my mind around what this game will be like, the fact that it is a mashup of two of my favorite franchises is massive.

Soriku

They're really not.

SMTs are more about using your skills and demons properly. You can be level 100 in Nocturne and still easily die in a bad round.

Eh...I think you're exaggerating with this :p Maybe the final bosses. On Hard mode.

I hope to go back to Nocturne with my Hard playthrough but I can't imagine losing to mobs again once I get back my Beelzebub (Death Flies + Victory Cry = lol). Then I also have a badass Daisoujou and Metatron. I spent hours trying to get the best skill sets possible for those muthas.

Can't wait for SMT4.

cj_iwakura

Eh...I think you're exaggerating with this :p Maybe the final bosses. On Hard mode.

I hope to go back to Nocturne with my Hard playthrough but I can't imagine losing to mobs again once I get back my Beelzebub (Death Flies + Victory Cry = lol). Then I also have a badass Daisoujou and Metatron. I spent hours trying to get the best skill sets possible for those muthas.

Can't wait for SMT4.

My character's 104 or something and he's gotten mutilated at the top of Kagutsuchi before.

Kjellson

Doesn't the SMT series take place in the future and the FE series in a Middle Ages kind of world? How the hell will they make sense of that?

Marz

A fighting game would be so awesome but I'm sure its a SRPG. Interested to see how this turns out Fire Emblem is one of my favorite franchises but I've never played any SMT stuff. I have Strange Journey on the DS I might need to check it out.

Marche90

Doesn't the SMT series take place in the future and the FE series in a Middle Ages kind of world? How the hell will they make sense of that?

Not exactly. While not going back to middle-ages, the Raidou games take place in the 20's, more or less, and recent games are set up in the present.

Still have no idea how they will manage, though. Maybe through a combination of the Outrealm gate and the Labyrinth of Amala/Amala Network?

Verelios

It's really not. Take the persona games for example (not 1 or 2). You can make a whole slew of usable persona's denoting every single affinity so that when you met a monster type it's an easy win. Just go into the dungeon solo, spend like ten minutes and come back out with ten or 15 levels up. The best part is that even if you die (and you will, on some off chance of a miss or a hama/mudo) you'll easily regain those levels.

I don't do this though, because it drastically lowers the party level. And it makes the game un-fun.

JEKKI

awww man I was at work all day now I come home and see this?!?!?!

I wish I had a Wiiu :(

PyZcyPb.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, we technically don't even know if it's a team up do we? For all we know it's SMT vs FE campaign and FE vs SMT campaign.

2 caveats:

The better you are at character/team building, the less grinding you NEED to do.

The more you fall in love with Press Turn Goodness™, the more grinding you WANT to do.

Jenga

Banned
nocturne needs to hit psn already

...wait am I allowed to say that in a nintendo-ish thread

anyways, it'll be interesting to see if they actually bother to distinguish PS1/2 characters w/ the SNES SMT characters

LOCK

What ever this ends up being, it should be mind blindingly awesome.

I wonder if this means that PS5 is coming to Wii U.

zeopower6

Yeah, while a lot of SMT games have ended up on Nintendo products recently, Persona is pretty much Sony-only so far.

nocturne needs to hit psn already

...wait am I allowed to say that in a nintendo-ish thread

anyways, it'll be interesting to see if they actually bother to distinguish PS1/2 characters w/ the SNES SMT characters

Fuck, it may hit the e-shop before PSN at the rates things are and are not going.

Top Bottom