• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Pre-load locked and ready to go. Really looking forward to this.

Probably won't play with the LW studio mods, but I haven't decided yet.

And I never actually finished a campaign of EW despite putting 20+ hours into the game. Oh well.

Sblargh

Banned
I agree with this. Anyone can overwatch camp every round, you separate men from the boys when you need to move quickly around the map. :)

And since the rookies are the ones doing the scouting, you also separate them from the world of living reserved only for soldiers who are too important to take these kind of risks.

T0urbill0n

Neo Member
Hi guys, I know the game will unlock in Australia for first... so anyone can suggest to me a good free vpn (for AU) for unlock the game ? With Fallout 4 i used wtfast vpn but i don't know if now it can works... anyone knows some alternative ? Thank.

Hi guys, I know the game will unlock in Australia for first... so anyone can suggest to me a good free vpn (for AU) for unlock the game ? With Fallout 4 i used wtfast vpn but i don't know if now it can works... anyone knows some alternative ? Thank.

FlyVPN should serve you well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

VyprVPN offers a free service and has servers just about everywhere. The only drawback is the 500MB bandwidth limit, but that should be more than enough to see you through the decryption process.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anyone in NA able to get the code for the standard edition to work on Green Man Gaming?

GREENM-ANGAME-25PJAN

I can't seem to get it to go, although the Deluxe Edition Code works...

Meh, may just buy that..

Stevey

Can't for this, gonna do a modless playthrough on Normal to start with, then see where it goes from there.

Dr Dogg

That GAF-COM header pic had me laughing more than it should.

Great job on the OT Sober. Today is going to be a long day.

Sblargh

Banned
I'll try classic/commander ironman first, but half-expecting to lose.
If I somehow win, I'll seriously worry about the game's overall difficulty, even if legendary is still there.

4 difficulties seems little for some reason. I think it should be 2 tiers of easy for complete noobs; 2 tiers of normal for people experienced with EU and 2 tiers of hard for them hardcore peeps. Meaning I think it's missing a tier either between easy/normal or further than classic/legendary.

I guess it's one of those "mods will fix it" things, but mods are rarely as well balanced and paced as a developer difficulty setting. Long war itself took years to get to the still-not-really-balanced state that is in.

Or I'll lose everyone, the avatar project will succeed and all this line of thinking is just me talking out of my properly probed ass.

Phinor

. I'll try to remember to keep an eye on things when XCOM 2 is decrypting.

I'll try to do the same tomorrow morning (local time) when I boot up my computer and the decryption starts. In fact I'll fill my SSD today so that it has substantially less space than XCOM 2 install size is. In any case, I'm 100% sure I wasn't imagining things with RotTR since it happened only last week and I paid close attention to it because I had previous negative experience with this new decryption system that seems to now work for everyone but me(?)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am weak. Bought the Digital Delux. Preloading now. But I want to try and finished Tomb Raider before I hop in.

The struggle is real.

facelike

I'm concerned with the fact that my computer misses the minimum specs by .1% for Mac (2.4 minimum, my Mac Mini is 2.3). If I buy this game, will it lock me out saying I don't meet the requirements forcing me to get a new computer?

Does anyone know if Firaxis has a habit of preventing us from installing/running the game if we don't meet the specs or will they let us foolishly try to run the game on our older hardware?

Sblargh

Banned
Woah, you don't even need to restart the game to add a new file to the character pool. For some weird reason, I see this as an incredible technical feat. lol

sueil

Warning to anyone that plans on using a VPN to unlock. Steam doesn't allow you to change your store region freely anymore and locks it to that country for 2 weeks.

Any bets on if someone will be crazy enough to try and engineer a real-time mod to complete the XCOM Apocalypse experience?

Y'know, because...

x0BNqcC.gif

McNum

For those of you wanting to be caught up on the story so far, here: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Game Over Cutscene

That's how the first war ended. Now... are you going to sit there and take it, or are you going to get out there and take it back?

Also, I do love how the XCOM computer UI is set up for the most dramatic way to switch off in case of defeat. That's dedication to UI design.

Moff

Warning to anyone that plans on using a VPN to unlock. Steam doesn't allow you to change your store region freely anymore and locks it to that country for 2 weeks.

what exactly does that mean? how long is it like that and do we have more details on this?
If I just unlock it with vpn (don't buy it) will it change anything as well?

sueil

what exactly does that mean? how long is it like that and do we have more details on this?
If I just unlock it with vpn (don't buy it) will it change anything as well?

Just logging in with a VPN in another country doesn't change the unlock time anymore. You also need to change your store region to country you using the VPN for. So if I want to unlock it early with New Zealand VPN I need to update my store region to New Zealand. They require you to give them a billing address but I just looked up a random government address and it worked. It warned me that once I change store regions I cannot change it again for two weeks. It also wouldn't let me change store regions for another 4 hours because I had recently made a purchase (xcom 2)

Also the last time I used a VPN to unlock a game early was Fallout 4. At the time you also had to change Store regions but there was no address needed or two week lockout at the time.

masterkajo

Wondering too about vpn. Bought the game from gmg and my so is out tonight so I really would love to get some game time going after work. Is it not working anymore?

Just logging in with a VPN in another country doesn't change the unlock time anymore. You also need to change your store region to country you using the VPN for. So if I want to unlock it early with New Zealand VPN I need to update my store region to New Zealand. They require you to give them a billing address but I just looked up a random government address and it worked. It warned me that once I change store regions I cannot change it again for two weeks. It also wouldn't let me change store regions for another 4 hours because I had recently made a purchase (xcom 2)

Also the last time I used a VPN to unlock a game early was Fallout 4. At the time you also had to change Store regions but there was no address needed or two week lockout at the time.

You didn't need to change store regions for fallout 4 vpn unlock at all.

deoee

Horrible...

cripterion

What???

Steam becoming shittier as time passes. Glad they're not the only ones on the market anymore.

Origin downloads faster, could hide titles you didn't want to appear in the account from way back, has EA access and they're getting more and more deals to lower prices.
Uplay is pretty barebones but has a fairly nice interface and like current gen consoles, you can start playing before downloading the whole thing. The Uplay credits actually let you unlock things in games and I find it a lot more usefull than the Steam cards.

By the way, thanks for the info Sueil, surprised there's not an OT on this on GAF.

Moff

that sounds bad, that was always a huge plus for steam.
especially as a european user where games are often released on thursday/friday and in other regions monday or tuesday

Well the store kept telling me the US release time until I changed store regions then it updated to the NZ time.

when it still worked, the release time never changed for me, the game unlocked anyway

sueil

Well maybe I am wrong and that guy saying you don't need to change regions is right so wait and see I guess.

JambiBum

Yeah the last game I used a VPN for was Fallout 4 and I didn't have to change store regions or anything of that nature either. Haven't used one since then but I doubt you have to change store regions for XCOM as well.

JaseC

What???

Steam becoming shittier as time passes. Glad they're not the only ones on the market anymore.

Origin downloads faster, could hide titles you didn't want to appear in the account from way back, has EA access and they're getting more and more deals to lower prices.
Uplay is pretty barebones but has a fairly nice interface and like current gen consoles, you can start playing before downloading the whole thing. The Uplay credits actually let you unlock things in games and I find it a lot more usefull than the Steam cards.

Valve restricting store region changes was done to clamp down on cross-region purchasing. The point is moot, though, as you don't need to change your store region to unlock a game early.

My game is preloaded. I'm ready for midnight
when I'll find out if my computer can handle running it.
Bring on the aliens!

masterkajo

Valve restricting store region changes was done to clamp down on cross-region purchasing. The point is moot, though, as you don't need to change your store region to unlock a game early.
JaseC for the rescue. So my vpn of choice should do the trick. Puh... Was panicking there for a second. Speaking of vpn of choice... which one would you recommend? And do I have to keep it running while playing? Or should I just go offline?

Moff

Okay so everyone ignore me.
I think you were just confused by the unlock timer in the store
it's true that the timer does not change by simply starting up steam using vpn.
but the timer and the actual unlocking are independent from each other.
so you can unlock the game without changing the store reagion and/or chaning the timer, you can ignore the timer

JaseC

JaseC for the rescue. So my vpn of choice should do the trick. Puh... Was panicking there for a second. Speaking of vpn of choice... which one would you recommend? And do I have to keep it running while playing? Or should I just go offline?

From the PC perf. thread that I haven't posted yet:

Me said:
Tips and tricks:
(For those outside "zone 1") Unlock the game early: Sign up to VyprVPN's free service and, after connecting to an AU/NZ/Asian server, restart Steam. Due to the 500MB bandwidth limit the free service has, it's best advised to switch to Offline Mode while you wait for the game to unlock in your region since disconnecting from the VPN mid-session will cause your in-game status to cease, which breaks Steamworks functionality as the game is no longer communicating with the client.
Note: Any other instances of Steam must be closed in order for the region switch to take place -- this includes the mobile app as well as the client.

I'm going to wait and see how people find the timers for the game. I wasn't really a fan of the turn limited missions in EW/EU. Also I'm sure that if I give things a little time, the performance issues will get worked out.

I'm toootally not rocking in my chair whispering "i dont need it" to myself. Nope.

Top Bottom