• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. EGM - Scores and Rumors

VALIS

BenjaminBirdie said:
Whoa! I played a Wii for the first time today. Rocked some Excite Truck. It was okay, but I'll definitely be waiting for WarioWare.

Yeah, Excite Truck is pretty fun. My Wii Hierarchy:

Great:
Zelda

Good:
Excite Truck
Trauma Center

Eh:
Wii Sports
Monkey Balls

Pure Poop:
Rabbids
Hawk
Red Steel (I assume)

AltogetherAndrews said:

Bah? Resistence is a really solid shooter... up there with the best. 8-9 scores is really good for a genre that has been milked over the past 5 years. The only FPS's to score better are Halo and Half Life... "i think."

Kevtones

Amir0x said:
Certainly not! It's just a terrible videogame, and I don't like things which are terrible!

I think you just hate fun and can't (for whatever reasons) appreciate one of the best multiplayer titles in years~

White Man

AniHawk said:
Are you playing the Japanese Gamecube version or something?

It's the slowest beginning to a Zelda yet. You have to do boring fetch quest shit in the village twice, then you have to go through the caves/forest like 2-3 times. Then you have to do the lame herding game twice. The only bright spot about the beginning was the cool
hyrule castle
bit. The dungeons are ace, but the stuff between them is not. So far.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any moment, but the start of the game left a sour taste in my mouth.

SantaC

White Man said:
It's the slowest beginning to a Zelda yet. You have to do boring fetch quest shit in the village twice, then you have to go through the caves/forest like 2-3 times. Then you have to do the lame herding game quick. The only bright spot about the beginning was the cool
hyrule castle

the game hasn't even started. It's massive.

AniHawk

White Man said:
It's the slowest beginning to a Zelda yet. You have to do boring fetch quest shit in the village twice, then you have to go through the caves/forest like 2-3 times. Then you have to do the lame herding game twice. The only bright spot about the beginning was the cool
hyrule castle

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any moment, but the start of the game left a sour taste in my mouth.

No, I meant, are you playing the Gamecube version. Again, I'm not getting defensive. I just didn't think you had a Wii.

SantaC

White Man said:
I understand I'm early on in the game, but that does not excuse the first 2ish hours being slow.

Oh I agree. But the start is basically an introduction to the controls.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
White Man said:
hyrule castle

Didn't seem as bad as I thought to me. Course, I got to the second dungeon in like 4 hours, and from hearing people say it took 10 hours to get to it, I guess it made it feel shorter.

MoxManiac

White Man said:
hyrule castle

I hate forced minigames. Ugh. :(

no_to_co

AltogetherAndrews said:
Bah. Scratch the "FPS" part altogether and we'll see how this demand for originality holds up, now and in the future.

Yeah, how really original is Zelda TP? Haven't we all played the same game in the last 3 incarnation of Zelda? You could diss it for not bringing anything new to the table or you can praise it for being the best incarnation of an old and tested formula. Both points are equally valid. You can derive any conclusion you are predisposed to.

White Man said:
I understand I'm early on in the game, but that does not excuse the first 2ish hours being slow.

I hated the fishing part, because that was excruciating. Other than that, really you're so early in the game, by the time you actually finish the game, you'll forget you even had to do that at the beginning. Really, I'm 20 hours in and I forgot about that. I also feel like I'm barely into this game yet. Christ this thing is huge.

As for the EGM scores, umm why did they dis Wii Sports? The thing is pure fun.

Is COD3 really THAT bad? I liked COD2, I'm not expecting anything mindblowing from the new game, but I was surprised the scores have been lower than last year's version. I also thought EGM would score Rainbow Six higher because of how they've been talking about it in previews, on the 1UP Show, etc., not a 9 or 10 game, but at least 8-8.5 all around.

Those Wii scores are about right I guess. Played more Trauma Center this weekend and OHMYDAMNGOD those "cutscenes" are PURE AGONY. Seriously, if I wanted to read, I'd get a book. Even pressing the (-) button to fast-forward through the cutscenes was taking a while--I can't imagine sitting through it and reading it normally.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
no_to_co said:
Yeah, how really original is Zelda TP? Haven't we all played the same game in the last 3 incarnation of Zelda? You could diss it for not bringing anything new to the table or you can praise it for being the best incarnation of an old and tested formula.

Uh....

mmlemay said:
They, along with Zelda:TP, are some of the top 1%, most outstanding games in the industry. What else are you gonna give them?

I don't know--a 10 score to me is an extremely rare thing. The game has to be absolutely perfect, 100%, top to bottom, inside and out, yada yada.

Halo 2 and GTA: SA weren't 100% perfect. Good, arguably great, games. But not perfect. I can see them each getting 9s and 9.5s, but I wouldn't score either a 10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
White Man said:
That Rainbow 6 score is criminal. The game takes a massive dump on Gears of War. And the Zelda score is too high, although I guess it needs to score higher than WW, and tehre was nowhere else to go but straight 10s. Of course that proves nothing except that WW was massively overrated.

Agreed on all accounts.

whatdidyousay said:
Is COD3 really THAT bad? I liked COD2, I'm not expecting anything mindblowing from the new game, but I was surprised the scores have been lower than last year's version.

Entirely different development teams. One very strong... the other, well, not so strong.

White Man

MassiveAttack said:
Entirely different development teams. One very strong... the other, well, not so strong.

If you're a big multiplayer gamer, CoD3 is totally worth it. At least once they fix ranked matches. Have they yet? It's been a handful of days since I played.

PoliceCop

Banned
moku said:
The Wiisports score is low enough that it makes the rest of thier scores seem farcical.

EGM just did themselves is. Most fun I've had with a game in YEARS. I dont pay attention to scores, but thats just assinine.

I'd really have to disagree. As a whole I would say Wii Sports is really boring. I played it for a couple hours and I don't plan on ever popping it into my Wii again.

whatdidyousay said:
I don't know--a 10 score to me is an extremely rare thing. The game has to be absolutely perfect, 100%, top to bottom, inside and out, yada yada.

Halo 2 and GTA: SA weren't 100% perfect. Good, arguably great, games. But not perfect. I can see them each getting 9s and 9.5s, but I wouldn't score either a 10.

But they've said repeatedly that a 10 isn't perfect. There will never, ever, ever be a PERFECT game. Using your logic there would never be any 4/5 star movies or albums, either. You have to use your entire scale as a critic.

Lindsay said:
images%5Cdo_not_want.jpg
Right there with you, bleh. I just want a closer-to-drawn look in Animal Crossing with Connect24 up and working.

And 60 FPS please!

etiolate

Banned
1up/EGM are the only ones I can think of pissing on Madden Wii and I don't quite get why. The 1up review gives a totally different reaction than every other preview, especially the claim that the controls make it harder for newcomers.

mmlemay said:
But they've said repeatedly that a 10 isn't perfect. There will never, ever, ever be a PERFECT game. Using your logic there would never be any 4/5 star movies or albums, either. You have to use your entire scale as a critic.

Oh my bad, did they really? I wasn't aware of that and always assumed that if a game received a 10, it'd be perfect.

Despite the abuse EGM gets on GAF, I generally agree with a lot of their scores.

king zell said:
Rumors

-Hudsun is releasing a TG16 pack with 3D remakes of Bonk, Adventure Island, and Super Star Soldier for the PS2

Whats the point of releasing a TG16 pack for the PS2, when Hudsun can release them as VC titles?

Kevtones

I'd also like to add Red Steel is lots of fun, especially drunk. Calming those nerves does wonders for precise aiming, game is 8.5 surely.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
vectorman06 said:
Whats the point of releasing a TG16 pack for the PS2, when Hudsun can release them as VC titles?
...because they are not actually roms? They remade those games in 3D on the PS2 already and are now releasing them as a pack.

Kingpen

whatdidyousay said:
Is COD3 really THAT bad? I liked COD2, I'm not expecting anything mindblowing from the new game, but I was surprised the scores have been lower than last year's version. I also thought EGM would score Rainbow Six higher because of how they've been talking about it in previews, on the 1UP Show, etc., not a 9 or 10 game, but at least 8-8.5 all around.

Those Wii scores are about right I guess. Played more Trauma Center this weekend and OHMYDAMNGOD those "cutscenes" are PURE AGONY. Seriously, if I wanted to read, I'd get a book. Even pressing the (-) button to fast-forward through the cutscenes was taking a while--I can't imagine sitting through it and reading it normally.

COD2 is basically COD2.5 It still is pretty good, but I think it is getting scored lower because it isn't a true SQL and all these guys are tired of playing WW2 games. See I never played a WW2 game before COD2, so I am digging it and COD3. I think it is at least an 8.0 game all around. The IGN and Gamespot reviews are more indicative of how the game is...

Rainbow, this game stole me away from all my other games at the time until I completed a run on it. It absolutely is a 9.0 game, as it is better then GRAW... Those scores are completely off base on that..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
VALIS said:
Yeah, Excite Truck is pretty fun. My Wii Hierarchy:

Pure Poop:
Rabbids
Hawk
Red Steel (I assume)

You assume inaccuratly.
The game is fun. Lots of fun, actually. If for no other reason than laughing at some of the ridiculousness of it, but it was done as a cheesey campy movie-style on purpose, and in that regard it is successful. I can't believe so many people try to take this game seriously :lol It's like... a joke-post game. Fun for what it is.

Oh, not to mention shooting someone in the face from 1000 yards to the pixel is one hell of a satisfying experience.

Kingpen said:
COD2 is basically COD2.5 It still is pretty good, but I think it is getting scored lower because it isn't a true SQL and all these guys are tired of playing WW2 games. See I never played a WW2 game before COD2, so I am digging it and COD3. I think it is at least an 8.0 game all around.

Rainbow, this game stole me away from all my other games at the time until I completed a run on it. It absolutely is a 9.0 game, as it is better then GRAW... Those scores are completely off base on that..

Whoa and whoa. Prior to COD2 on 360 last year, I never played a WWII game either and I enjoyed it, so I guess I'll definitely be picking up COD3.

I was really, really impressed by GRAW--Rainbow 6 is better??

John Harker said:
If for no other reason than laughing at some of the ridiculousness of it, but it was done as a cheesey campy movie-style on purpose, and in that regard it is successful. I can't believe so many people try to take this game seriously :lol It's like... a joke-post game. Fun for what it is.

I know you were defending Red Steel in another thread, but honestly, I've read a lot of previews and watched several interviews with the developers, and not once was it mentioned or even alluded to that the game had an over-the-top/camp factor.

I would agree with the CoD3 score. I loved CoD2, but CoD3 just doesn't have that same feel. To me, its harder on veteran difficulty and the stupid continuous sniping at the French in the narrative is juvenile (and hardly accurate).

Throw in the fact that the ranked online matches are broken and THEY STILL DIDN'T ADD A LEAN FUNCTION (something that drives me bonkers on Veteran difficulty).

Top Bottom