• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot VR is the showcase game that can turn skeptics into believers

MultiCore

I stand by the fact that its one of the maybe 4-5 VR games worth paying any attention to. And its the best one of that group.
It's an outstanding VR game.
I would not say it's the best.

RE7, Skyrim, Doom all compete for me.
Rez is great. Thumper is great.
Eve Valkyrie is a great game. Rigs is a great game that nobody plays, even after they gave it away. Starblood is good, Battlezone is good, Farpoint was a great proof of concept, and great way to get Aim out there, which is great.

Lot of good stuff out there. Looking forward to Wipeout.

BANGS

Banned
That's completely ridiculous. I played it on my Rift with Touch and it was thrilling. Nothing better than hitting a guy with your shotgun, then shooting a guy running towards you with a knife, grabbing the knife he releases in midair, only to throw the knife at a dude running towards you. Doing that with Touch, in VR, is exhilarating. You don't know what you're talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, it's almost like opinions are subjective or something...

I'm sorry but adding motion controls into a game that already works great without them doesn't make the game any better to me and many other gamers. It's just an added gimmick that if anything distracts from the amazing game design in favor of "I'm in the game durrr!"

BANGS

Banned
He's never played the VR version. He thinks they tacked on VR mode to the OG game #lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...16/6/13/11924408/superhot-vr-oculus-touch-omg

I had asked why a player would come back to the game if they had already finished Superhot, but Kaczmarczyk corrected me: You're not coming back to anything. This is a different game.

"You felt a bit like you were choreographing an insanely badass action scene every time you completed a level in Superhot — well, now you actually, physically need to go through the entire choreography yourself," he said. "You feel 100 percent engaged, it often gets tough as nails if you push yourself, but once you dodge that final bullet and smash the head off of that last remaining enemy with your own bare hands, you feel just exhilarated."

Just like you, he mentions that it's exactly the same game but in VR, so somehow it's a different game lmfao. Its different because now instead of a mouse you use your arms lmfao yeah so convincing...

I'm sorry but adding motion controls into a game that already works great without them doesn't make the game any better to me and many other gamers. It's just an added gimmick that if anything distracts from the amazing game design in favor of "I'm in the game durrr!"
Whaaaaaaat?! Motion ABSOLUTELY makes it better. Not only does it become more immersive because with Touch you’re actually gripping the objects, but you can shoot around cover, duck and weave with your actual body, blindly punching and shooting dudes. It’s how Superhot should be played.

As much of a skeptic as you are, I guarantee after just one play session you would admit you are wrong and will be embarrassed with how you’re acting right now.

MultiCore

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...16/6/13/11924408/superhot-vr-oculus-touch-omg

I had asked why a player would come back to the game if they had already finished Superhot, but Kaczmarczyk corrected me: You're not coming back to anything. This is a different game.

"You felt a bit like you were choreographing an insanely badass action scene every time you completed a level in Superhot — well, now you actually, physically need to go through the entire choreography yourself," he said. "You feel 100 percent engaged, it often gets tough as nails if you push yourself, but once you dodge that final bullet and smash the head off of that last remaining enemy with your own bare hands, you feel just exhilarated."

Just like you, he mentions that it's exactly the same game but in VR, so somehow it's a different game lmfao. Its different because now instead of a mouse you use your arms lmfao yeah so convincing...

Having played both, the VR version isn't the same game.

You can't move, for starters. You just dodge. You waggle your hands to advance time.

The layouts are different because of this. There are many scenes where you teleport around the map and see things from different perspectives, it's really neat.

The sense of presence is great, and dodging bullets while trying to shoot the guy trying to punch you is absolutely exhilarating.

My dad loves this game, and I haven't see him very excited about a game since CivNet.

It's cool that you haven't played it, and I understand your scepticism. But you're just decrying every VR game that gets discussed here.

You should really consider not trying to undermine this stuff without having played it. When you finally get around to understanding what's going on, you'll be pretty embarrassed about your post history.

fvng

Bro what are you even trying to argue? That this is a bad game? its evident from your posts that you haven't played this so your opinion on it is meaningless. Like your paste says this is a different game and different experience so maybe give it a shot before talking out of your ass

Bro what are you even trying to argue? That this is a bad game? its evident from your posts that you haven't played this so your opinion on it is meaningless. Like your paste says this is a different game and different experience so maybe give it a shot before talking out of your ass
Its strange how many people are ready to pass on VR without ever trying it. I sometimes wonder if the price still being somewhat steep, discourages people from wanting to be interested in it.

I bought a Rift with Touch because I wanted to be here in the early days of VR. Never played with modern VR before hand. But seriously, after just a few minutes in “First Contact”, I was changed forever. I actually have a hard time keeping interest in non VR games now.

I have been and remain a VR skeptic (in terms of widespread mainstream adoption for games), but even though I havent jumped in yet I can easily process and comprehend the evolution of game design happening before our eyes. The hardware may still be too expensive...the headsets too unwieldy/bulky (smaller, wireless headsets cant come soon enough)...control schemes are still rough/all over the place...processing power per dollar needs to improve by several orders of magnitude...BUT what I'm reading in this thread from the majority of posters (that one troll aside) is REALLY exciting and just about enough to convince me to jump in. My plan all along has been to wait for gen 2 or 3 of VR...but Im thinking I may buy in next holiday/black friday if theres a killer deal on a PS4 Pro/PSVR combo and/or a Rift (I prefer the Vive, but HTC/Steam has dropped the ball on making it price competitive to this point). I can wait...but its getting harder to resist. I look at it this way: I'll have a nice, cheap backlog of VR games to play right off the bat.

wondermega

Can we please stop dedicating this entire thread to educating black dreamcast why he must also like this game. He doesn't like the game, that's fine.

MultiCore

Can we please stop dedicating this entire thread to educating black dreamcast why he must also like this game. He doesn't like the game, that's fine.
He has no idea whether he likes it, and for some strange reason he's committed to convincing passersby that it's impossible for it to be good.

Grinchy

Banned
This is a really awesome VR game. I didn't really care much for the regular version, so it took me a while to try the VR one. But damn...it's awesome.

You have to get the hang of how throwing objects works in the game and how to carry guns over with you between levels.

fvng

This is a really awesome VR game. I didn't really care much for the regular version, so it took me a while to try the VR one. But damn...it's awesome.

You have to get the hang of how throwing objects works in the game and how to carry guns over with you between levels.

Whaaaat how do you carry guns over with you to the next levels? Is that by design or a glitch exploit?

Grinchy

Banned
Oh fuckkkk

The timing can be tough to pull off, but once you get it down, it becomes easier to do consistently.

I usually just kinda let go of the guns right next to the little jewel that you hit to continue to the next level. Right after hitting it, I grab them again in a fast motion.

This becomes less important in some of the other modes like Hardcore since guns have like no ammo, but I guess at least you're starting with a throwable object right away.

SUPERHOT is great, but y'all need some Robot Recall in your life. Possibly the best VR graphics thus far*, crazy physics, funny attitude.

They're both games that show that simple gameplay can be made great in VR.

And after that, there are some serious rabbit holes to delve into (on PC at least). VR is the wild west of the video game industry right now.

*A lot of developers are having trouble with making VR look good visually. Robot Recall shows that it's possible to make a great looking game in VR with the current tech. Aliasing is minimal, lines are sharp, lighting doesn't bleed/ray, it all looks much cleaner than most VR games. SUPERHOT looks clean as well, but that may be partially because of it's simplistic empty/white design.

Shifty

If I hate wave shooters, will I still like Robo Recall?

It has linear progression stages, wave shooter stages, point defense stages and boss stages. There's a decent amount of variety.

It does ultimately boil to a lot of shooting, bludgeoning and throwing robot dudes though so I guess it depends on what aspects turn you off of wave shooters?

It has linear progression stages, wave shooter stages, point defense stages and boss stages. There's a decent amount of variety.

It does ultimately boil to a lot of shooting, bludgeoning and throwing robot dudes though so I guess it depends on what aspects turn you off of wave shooters?
It’s pretty thrilling teleporting up to a robot, grabbing it, ripping off its leg with your free hand then beating it in the head to death with its own limb.

I desperately want a sequel.

BANGS

Banned

Thank god somebody gets it. Unfortunately you're speaking to blind fanboys that have to justify their ridiculously overpriced purchases to everyone else and can't handle criticism...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Thank god somebody gets it. Unfortunately you're speaking to blind fanboys that have to justify their ridiculously overpriced purchases to everyone else and can't handle criticism...
yup i must agree with this statement its ok to dislike stuff.
as the dreamcast was a shitty console

fvng

You are the only person here spouting opinions on things without first hand knowledge. It's why you keep getting referred to as a troll and continue to have your opinion dismissed by people in this thread. Your opinion on this matter is worthless.

This is how I feel whenever someone who has never played Yooka-Laylee spouts off at the mouth about how terrible they think it is despite having 0 playtime invested.

I just finished Superhot vanilla. I've had the VR version for some time but haven't booted it up yet because I wanted to finish the original. I think I'll really enjoy the VR version.

fvng

2 people get it now! My influence is making positive changes...

Implying your opinion on whether you like or not matters since you've never played it. Nobody takes you seriously because you talk from your ass

BANGS

Banned
Well that was mature. I won't hurt your feelings any more there big guy. Don't worry VR is great it's totally the future of video games lmfao and adding VR features to games not built around them totally makes it like a whole new thing you feel like you're in the game lmfao

Enjoy it brother!

fvng

Well that was mature. I won't hurt your feelings any more there big guy. Don't worry VR is great it's totally the future of video games lmfao and adding VR features to games not built around them totally makes it like a whole new thing you feel like you're in the game lmfao

Enjoy it brother!

snooze. bye!

MultiCore

They haven't removed the ignore feature.
There's more to it than that.

He's not even providing criticism.
He doesn't understand what he's talking about, he's never played the game. It's not even good speculation.

This isn't about him not liking it, because he can't have an opinion on that. It's him imagining that he wouldn't like it. But he takes it a step further. He's not saying, "I don't like this" he's saying "The whole concept of this is garbage, it couldn't possibly be good because there was a flat version of it already, so it has to be a lame port with no though put into it."

It's just not the case.

It's a reimagining of what Superhot could be. It works better than 95% of the made for VR "experiences" out there. It really is an inspired game, and shows what the medium is capable of.

When someone comes in with low effort shit posting, in every VR related thread, the agenda becomes pretty clear pretty rapidly. It's a real bummer, because if he stops even one interested party from experiencing this game, or VR in general, he's robbed a great experience from someone he doesn't know based on information he doesn't even have.

It's not about subjectivity. They're not "educated guesses". He's making uninformed speculations.

There's been a sharp uptake on this lately, and man, it's hard to watch.

GAF is supposed to be a place to get information and share experiences, not get disinformation and spread baseless FUD.

BANGS

Banned
Don't put words into my mouth. If you're not gonna even read my posts, then you have no reason to complain about them...

Edit: I already agreed to stop criticizing this game to appease one lunatic, no reason to keep this thread focused on me instead of your precious game...

MultiCore

Don't put words into my mouth. If you're not gonna even read my posts, then you have no reason to complain about them...
I've read every one of them, very carefully.

You haven't played it.

If you're in the LA area, I'll give you an invite to come try it.
I already agreed to stop criticizing this game to appease one lunatic, no reason to keep this thread focused on me instead of your precious game...
If you don't feel your posts are worthy of inspection or attention, perhaps they don't belong here to begin with.

fvng

Have you played Superhot VR? If not, how could you give any meaningful feedback on it? Do you understand why nobody takes you seriously here?

Wonko_C

Where I live almost everybody I know has that attitude towards VR. The reason is simple: Buying a game console is prohibitive, so an add-on that costs more than the console itself is seen almost like a rip-off. Add games on top of that, and you get people rationalizing that "it sucks, will die like the Vita, it's a gimmick" before even trying it. It's like a self-defense mechanism.

What's worse, some of them tried cheap cellphone VR and think PC/Console VR is exactly like that. I love how every single person I've had try PSVR is converted. They still think its expensive but at least their prejudice is gone and are willing to get into it when its more accesible.

fvng

Where I live almost everybody I know has that attitude towards VR. The reason is simple: Buying a game console is prohibitive, so an add-on that costs more than the console itself is seen almost like a rip-off. Add games on top of that, and you get people rationalizing that "it sucks, will die like the Vita, it's a gimmick" before even trying it. It's like a self-defense mechanism.

What's worse, some of them tried cheap cellphone VR and think PC/Console VR is exactly like that. I love how every single person I've had tried PSVR is converted. They still think its expensive but at least their prejudice is gone and are willing to get into it when its more accesible.

you're so right.

it's ironic that he thinks there is elitism coming from VR owners, when the reality is his insecurities from not owning one is the reason he's being an irrational douche about this.

"let me bash this thing i don't own, refuse to buy, or is cost prohibitive to make me feel better about not owning one"

there's a reason he refuses to answer the very direct question of whether or not he's tried VR or this particular game. he doesn't even acknowledge his own research that explicitly says superhot vr is completely different from the ground up VR game, independant of OG Superhot.

BANGS is the type of person to refuse to try VR for fear of being converted. insecurity is fueling BANGS passive aggression in this thread.

Wow just came here and I see you shit talking VR AGAIN. You literally just talk shit every single chance you get? VR hater. Being INSIDE the game in VR is totally different from playing it on a 2D screen.

DjRalford

Wow just came here and I see you shit talking VR AGAIN. You literally just talk shit every single chance you get? VR hater. Being INSIDE the game in VR is totally different from playing it on a 2D screen.

He’s just a troll, a committed one at that.

Ignore him and he will go away.

Once I get some store credit I’ll pick up super hot, yesterday I got worlds, RE7, & Farpoint + AIM so I have plenty to play for now alongside my older games from launch.

There's more to it than that.

He's not even providing criticism.
He doesn't understand what he's talking about, he's never played the game. It's not even good speculation.

This isn't about him not liking it, because he can't have an opinion on that. It's him imagining that he wouldn't like it. But he takes it a step further. He's not saying, "I don't like this" he's saying "The whole concept of this is garbage, it couldn't possibly be good because there was a flat version of it already, so it has to be a lame port with no though put into it."

It's just not the case.

It's a reimagining of what Superhot could be. It works better than 95% of the made for VR "experiences" out there. It really is an inspired game, and shows what the medium is capable of.

When someone comes in with low effort shit posting, in every VR related thread, the agenda becomes pretty clear pretty rapidly. It's a real bummer, because if he stops even one interested party from experiencing this game, or VR in general, he's robbed a great experience from someone he doesn't know based on information he doesn't even have.

It's not about subjectivity. They're not "educated guesses". He's making uninformed speculations.

There's been a sharp uptake on this lately, and man, it's hard to watch.

GAF is supposed to be a place to get information and share experiences, not get disinformation and spread baseless FUD.

I know. All the more reason to not waste your time on it.

Top Bottom