• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

JTCx

All PS4 sticks (& some bad 360 sticks) have issues randomly dropping double button inputs. Example: You press 1+2 2 comes out then 1 instead of 1+2.

This doesn't affect games with plinking as much because it will cancel the button into the double button anyway. Tekken doesn't have this so you just get the wrong button.

Is this really a thing? any confirmation?

So I was wondering if it was just whenever I play a set but there are times where it has pauses. It happens a few times in the set I played against CSX. Watching Aris' stream it seems that he also gets a random stall for a split second too in some of his matches and it doesn't seem to be a connection issue (or maybe it might be, but I don't think the bars drop at all). Do you guys experience it on PS4 too?

GrayFoxPL

So I was wondering if it was just whenever I play a set but there are times where it has pauses. It happens a few times in the set I played against CSX. Watching Aris' stream it seems that he also gets a random stall for a split second too in some of his matches and it doesn't seem to be a connection issue (or maybe it might be, but I don't think the bars drop at all). Do you guys experience it on PS4 too?

On arcades this happened supposedly because of the side choosing(both dudes picking p1 game has to calculate inputs for p2 anyway). On PS4 there's too much of connection fluctuation to tell really. Even if I get 5 bar connection it could jump from 3 to 5 all the time during the match.

On arcades this happened supposedly because of the side choosing(both dudes picking p1 game has to calculate inputs for p2 anyway). On PS4 there's too much of connection fluctuation to tell really. Even if I get 5 bar connection it could jump from 3 to 5 all the time during the match.

I play on PC, I was just wondering if this is present in all versions. But if there are drops in the arcade, it seems it got carried over to the ports. If it isn't a game issue, I wonder if it has some issue with my PC since I never know what fuckery Windows 10 is doing to it.

GrayFoxPL

ggs, Grayfox. Those were some good matches. Your Bryan is strong. Paul too.

Ggs, your heavy poking Kazumi is a problem. Those tigers didn't let me get up advancing at you, good tactics. I was still in Tag2 mode for Bryan, all the wrong combos, bad habit. Gigas is goofy as hell, lol.

Ggs, your heavy poking Kazumi is a problem. Those tigers didn't let me get up advancing at you, good tactics. I was still in Tag2 mode for Bryan, all the wrong combos, bad habit. Gigas is goofy as hell, lol.

Gigas is so stupid. xD I don't dislike playing him though, it's nice to have such huge range and pretty high damage.

He just can't move at all so i'm never going to play him for realsies.

GrayFoxPL

Gigas is so stupid. xD I don't dislike playing him though, it's nice to have such huge range and pretty high damage.

He just can't move at all so i'm never going to play him for realsies.

He looks like a cartoon character, no proportions. I thought Jack looked fine up until T5 then they turned him into goofball but Gigas takes the cake now. Those slow motion belly flops are hilarious. ;)

Gambit61

lol, I decided to hop onto ranked for one game, and this is who I run into. Must be a phony because I won 2-0.

OdNRZXK.jpg

sasuke_91

I went to a tournament earlier. Since this was the first T7 tournament in our area the demand was high and we got a total of 46 entrants. There were a lot of very good players and a lot of beginners as well.
Ice_Beam won. He got the Heihachi statue that is included in the CE as a prize.
I got 7th place, which isn't bad at all in my opinion. There weren't any streams unfortunately, but the crowd was hyped!

Cyanity

Banned
I know I'm getting better because I've been actually winning the occasional ranked match, but dang if this game doesn't chew newbies like me up and spit us out on the regular. Watching Aris' videos on youtube has helped immensely though.

In other news, I've got a stiffer spring coming for my Madcatz TE, so maybe (hopefully) Korean backdash will become more consistent for me.

edit - Just got full bodied by a Claudio who kept using his low sweep combo starter on me. Is there a way to deal with that move beyond just reading it and blocking accordingly? Like, are there any armor moves that will interrupt it, etc. I main Lars, fyi.

Doomshine

edit - Just got full bodied by a Claudio who kept using his low sweep combo starter on me. Is there a way to deal with that move beyond just reading it and blocking accordingly? Like, are there any armor moves that will interrupt it, etc. I main Lars, fyi.

Someone feel free to correct me on this, but as far as I know Claudio only has lows that launch on counter hit or the starburst double low that you can block even if the first hit connects, so you might be getting caught pressing buttons. Besides blocking you can try crushing them with uf+4, but it's slow so don't be too predictable with it.

Cyanity

Banned
Someone feel free to correct me on this, but as far as I know Claudio only has lows that launch on counter hit or the starburst double low that you can block even if the first hit connects, so you might be getting caught pressing buttons. Besides blocking you can try crushing them with uf+4, but it's slow so don't be too predictable with it.

You can block the second hit on the double low even if you get hit by the first? I think this is the info I was missing. Thank you!

Those are his only two low launches, yeah. The starburst launch isn't a natural combo but it's so quick it's hard to react to anyway. The DB3, (the ch launch one) is also incredibly linear so if you're sidestepping and sidewalking a lot you're going to make him whiff eventually, and it's slow enough you can launch. My main problem with Claudio is doing that too much as an OTG and getting blown up when they side roll. >_>

Apparently his rage drive gives him starburst on block. I'm....kind of embarrassed I didn't find that out before now.

GrayFoxPL

I went to a tournament earlier. Since this was the first T7 tournament in our area the demand was high and we got a total of 46 entrants. There were a lot of very good players and a lot of beginners as well.
Ice_Beam won. He got the Heihachi statue that is included in the CE as a prize.
I got 7th place, which isn't bad at all in my opinion. There weren't any streams unfortunately, but the crowd was hyped!

Hey that's a great place buddy, congrats!

GrayFoxPL

Good games SquirrelSoup! That was good long session, whoop! You would get me with Miguel if you remembered about FC d/f+4. He was really strong.

GrayFoxPL

That one dude was the first one I used Kuma on.

Felt good.

cMxonyY.gif

Kuma chan will soon be unleashed on the internets. He just needs more "fat" and sick tech.

Rajang

Rajang when we gonna play?

Can you play during day?

I usually play after 18:00. I can definitely player earlier some times. When are you usually online?

And nowadays I play mostly on PC. If you have both versions it's very hard to go back to PS4. Longer loading times, worse net code and noticeably more input lag. Only things I really miss on PS4 is playing the EU guys and of course Jukebox. Every time I play on PC I pray I don't get the wub wub stages, that music just really gets on my nerves. Especially the helipad stage at night.. WTF were they thinking?!

But yea we can definitely play, I just need to wait on my ethernet cable to arrive. Last week our pet rabbit decided to chew down the ethernet cables. Already have a new cable for PC and ordered another one yesterday for PS4. I don't want to be on wifi on PS4, the netcode is already bad on there.

I'm usually in the Tekken Discord, we can chat in there as well.

GrayFoxPL

I usually play after 18:00. I can definitely player earlier some times. When are you usually online?

And nowadays I play mostly on PC. If you have both versions it's very hard to go back to PS4. Longer loading times, worse net code and noticeably more input lag. Only things I really miss on PS4 is playing the EU guys and of course Jukebox. Every time I play on PC I pray I don't get the wub wub stages, that music just really gets on my nerves. Especially the helipad stage at night.. WTF were they thinking?!

But yea we can definitely play, I just need to wait on my ethernet cable to arrive. Last week our pet rabbit decided to chew down the ethernet cables. Already have a new cable for PC and ordered another one yesterday for PS4. I don't want to be on wifi on PS4, the netcode is already bad on there.

I'm usually in the Tekken Discord, we can chat in there as well.

I play from 10 to 18 usually.

I'm on discord only on PC when I stop playing on PS4.

I have rather good experience PS4 net code, I get better connections then on Tag2 with the same people like SquirrelSoup. I can react much better. Only bad thing right now is that it connects roughly to 50% of randoms and may take a minute to find someone and on PS3 I had fights every 10 seconds with everyone.

Private matches so far run even more solid. I played today with Squirrel for hours without a hitch.

PC version sounds great with low input lag, but when I saw Aris getting matched with 3-4 same ppl over and over it looked quite odd. I only got matched with the same random dudes maybe 2 times. In Tekken you need to play many different people to get good.

I hope they can shave eventually 2 frames of PS4 version lag.
Though when you don't give a damn on input lag early on in development and go telling people that players don't know what input lag is and shouldn't care and why are they even bringing that up, then this is what we get.
Ekhem.

Yeah the T7 og music is mostly awful. Jukebox is a godsend, I have it on random all the time. Don't have time to build my playlist yet, too much songs.

Hope I get to play you soon.

Rajang

GG's GrayFox.

My Jack is going to have nightmares about your Paul, haha. It was easier with Feng, he can move around and step without getting hit every time.

That was a lot of fun, but man the amount of time we had to wait in between matches was bs. I'm used to PC version. Load times and the amount of down time is just way too long on PS4. Imagine if this was a full lobby.. we would be lucky if we got to play 1 match in 30 minutes. Next time we play I'll set up 4 rounds instead of 3 so we play more and wait less.

GrayFoxPL

GG's GrayFox.

My Jack is going to have nightmares about your Paul, haha. It was easier with Feng, he can move around and step without getting hit every time.

That was a lot of fun, but man the amount of time we had to wait in between matches was bs. I'm used to PC version. Load times and the amount of down time is just way too long on PS4. Imagine if this was a full lobby.. we would be lucky if we got to play 1 match in 30 minutes. Next time we play I'll set up 4 rounds instead of 3 so we play more and wait less.

GG Rajang. Sorry for shitty play, to Nuszka(GGs!) too. I can't get in shape.

xDycUPU.gif

And I panic whenever I need to push df or db + something and so it doesn't come out, if I was relaxed, it would come out right.

Anyway I blame today's date.

Also all those deathfists on Jack lying on the ground.

Yq7R95w.gif

I did it but I couldn't watch it.

GrayFoxPL

GGs guys, sorry I had to leave. I wanted to wait another match but it said "host disconnected" before I did anything, so it wasn't worth to make another just to say I'm going.

I need a brake I think, I'm too tired every day. Need to clean the air.

Why can't I ever play you dudes? Every time I try to join a room with one of you it's always full or something.

sad-pug2.jpg

Dunno man, sorry. We gotta try sometime.

One of my friends gifted me the PC version of T7, the quality of the online matches and the much, MUCH better input delay are making me consider not touching it ever again, otherwise it'll seriously ruin the PS4 version for me.

Sayah

Compiling my current ranking of Tekken games:

1. Tekken 6
+ Loved the bound mechanic
+ Fights felt very grounded and immersive with a great level of strategy and depth (mind games and wall pressure felt great)
+ Good tracks in the OST
+ Best customization the series has ever had to offer

+/- Both good and bad new character designs (Miguel, Leo, and Zafina being good and Bob, Lars, and Alisa being bad)

- Netcode
- Awful SP campaign and story
- Took 2 years to release
- No good tutorial mode
- Loading times

2. Tekken Tag Tournament 2

+ Diverse and large cast with return of classic loved characters
+ Amazing soundtrack
+ Excellent new gameplay mechanics (tag assault in particular)
+ Wonderful netcode
+ Timely release on consoles
+ Tekken Tunes
+ Record function in Practice

+/- Okay tutorial (that I started but never completed)

- Worst customization in series history
- Tag shenanigans
- No instant rematch option in vs battle
- Philippines stage

3. Tekken 5
+ Very timely console release and still feature packed
+ Enjoyable SP campaign
+ Excellent new character designs
+ Best OST in the series
+ Fun gameplay
+ Some hilarious, enjoyable endings
+ Best intro trailer in the series

- Tekken 4 art style was better and they should have stuck with it

4. Tekken 3
+ Time skip with many new well-designed characters
+ Fun gameplay (Gon, Dr. B, and True Ogre were truly fun albeit irritating characters to play against) / introduction of sidestepping for all characters
+ Excellent OST
+ Tekken Ball
+ Great cinematics + amazing graphics (for its time)

- Character balance

5. Tekken 4
+ Best art style in the series
+ Amazing graphics (for its time)
+ Excellent stages
+ Great new character designs
+ Good storytelling
+ Good OST

- Character balance
- Stage balance

6. Tekken 7 (current standing but could go up with updates + DLC)
+ Good graphics (well-detailed characters; good looking stages for the most part, except Jungle Outpost and Souq look awful; excellent new hit effects)
+ Updated defaults for most characters after a long while and did a good job with most of them (Xiaoyu and Feng have never looked better; though, Hwoarang looks dumb)
+ Good OST

- Gameplay lacks new and exciting change; is just a re-adapted Tekken 6 with focus attacks and ultras.
- Some abhorring new character designs and/or character personalities (Chloe, Gigas, Devil Kazumi, Josie)
- 2.5 years to console release
- Spotty netcode and egregious matchmaking (on PS4)
- Customization
- Lacking features that were present in arcade mode / not as feature packed as past Tekken's

7. Tekken Tag Tournament
+ Awesome OST
+ Great selection of characters
+ Fun four player fights with the PS2 multi-tap
+ Tekken Bowl

- Not really much of a visual upgrade from Tekken 3

Not Ranked: Tekken 1 and 2 (never played these when they came out and they didn't seem to have aged well)

I like playing Kazumi... but I hate the random ass tiger... why~

Also just when I thought I finally understood Nina, I got a mirror match. Never playing this character again -cries in a corner-

Sayah

I like playing Kazumi... but I hate the random ass tiger... why~

Also just when I thought I finally understood Nina, I got a mirror match. Never playing this character again -cries in a corner-

Nina's worth the investment to learn. Cancelling moves into sidesteps is fun. But there isn't much if anything new for me to learn with her for Tekken 7 so it has been pretty boring playing with her. Really digging Claudio and Katarina for now since they're new. Kazumi's fun too.

Got all the way up to rank Fighter.

Now I'm one of those Grandmasters who is above 150 wins.

Scrubbing hard with Ling.

I can't remember the last time I've beaten someone above Expert skill two matches straight. It just takes one match for my opponent to learn my tricks.

Guess it's telling when I play against other Lings, I'm more hesitant than when people face my Ling. I know her moveset, but don't know any frame data. I played against this one Ling who launched me with 2~1 after a blocked RDS+4. I STILL can't launch ANYONE with that. Forgot it was even in her moveset.

Also taught me that d, d/f 2,1 is good oki for when people are against the wall. Speaking of walls, I hate them. When I end up at a wall midway through a combo, IDK what to do to finish and end up wiffing.

This game is revealing to me just how bad I have been at Tekken all these years. I thought I was good beating up all my friends. Naw, they were all worse than that.

sasuke_91

Got all the way up to rank Fighter.

Now I'm one of those Grandmasters who is above 150 wins.

Scrubbing hard with Ling.

I can't remember the last time I've beaten someone above Expert skill two matches straight. It just takes one match for my opponent to learn my tricks.

Guess it's telling when I play against other Lings, I'm more hesitant than when people face my Ling. I know her moveset, but don't know any frame data. I played against this one Ling who launched me with 2~1 after a blocked RDS+4. I STILL can't launch ANYONE with that. Forgot it was even in her moveset.

Also taught me that d, d/f 2,1 is good oki for when people are against the wall. Speaking of walls, I hate them. When I end up at a wall midway through a combo, IDK what to do to finish and end up wiffing.

This game is revealing to me just how bad I have been at Tekken all these years. I thought I was good beating up all my friends. Naw, they were all worse than that.

This is normal. We all first noticed how much we sucked when we first played Online. After playing thousands of matches, we now suck less.

Ling is a complex character. You should take advantage on people's lack of knowledge though. If it only takes one match for them to see through your "tricks", you should change up the way you use her moves or just use different or more moves in general. I can assure you that nobody at Expert level will block her lows and throws. And she has a lot of those.
One thing that makes Ling so complex is that her stances expand her movement, giving her more tools with evasive properties.

You should record and upload some matches for us to watch them. I would show you mine, but I realized that I'm not that good of a Ling player after streaming ranked yesterday, so there's definitely better players who should show you their matches.

GrayFoxPL

Someone got to Marauder with Nina by doing d+3,2 and d+3,4,3,4 (or smth, that new string) I couldn't believe it was all he tried on me.

kLKtCns.gif

Top Bottom