• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Luxorek

How do I do that?

Open Steam. Right-click on The Witcher 3 in your games list, click 'properties', then 'local files', then 'verify...'. It will return the game to its original state. Won't wipe away any saves. Or you could try disabling mods first and see if that helps.

Been playing so much Gwent that I regret selling Witcher 3.

Its not that I didnt enjoy it but I got to Skellige, played a bit and just got overwhelmed/fatigued.

But Now Im itching to go back and even buy the DLCs.

Argh. I think I disliked combat most of all and that I couldnt turn off the HUD yet pop it up momentarily without going through the menu map

Did they ever patch it so that you could bring up the HUD without bringing up the map? (I liked playing without map but sometimes wanted a brief idea of direction)

I think combat was fine but I played a notch too hard and it made the experience tedious and difficult. At the same time, I dislike playing it as a button masher.

When was/is the next sale expected on PSN? I believe it was on sale not too long ago, anyone remember the price on PSN?

Playing Blood and Wine and its amazing as expected.

Some of the random NPCs though... Crazy fanatic lady by the Tourney grounds "Meanness lords over generosityyyyyyyy!!!! The gods have sent the BEEEEEEEAST as punishment for our sins!" And I think she's glitched into a barrel?

Followed by any time Geralt goes through the tourney grounds after winning the tourney, I've got some crazy noblewoman/groupie following me around everywhere acting like Geralt's personal hype man, clapping and cheering me shouting "long live the champion!" every 5 seconds.

Game is so damn good.

Darkwater

The Witcher 3 GOTY is now 50% off on Steam, meaning it's 25 eurobuckaroos. Cheapest it's ever been. I feel the game is worth more but I'm only a lowly worker peasant so I can't be thowing fifties around all willy-nilly. Pair that discount with NorthernLion's Witcher 3 LP series that I just started watching and long story short: bought.

Thorgal

I have the base game and I'm going to play it soon. Question is if I should buy the DLC for my playthrough?

you could ,but be aware that the respective quests that starts each DLC have a level recommendation level of 35. so you won't be doing them at the start of the game .

Is there some bug in this game that prevents certain merchants from appearing on the world map? For eg: I tried to find a blacksmith ( which was showing up before on the map) but this time it wasn't showing, so I had to look on google to locate it.

Coreda

Is there some bug in this game that prevents certain merchants from appearing on the world map? For eg: I tried to find a blacksmith ( which was showing up before on the map) but this time it wasn't showing, so I had to look on google to locate it.

Merchants/Blacksmiths/etc don't all display on the map at once, and most are triggered only when within a certain distance of them (though sometimes even that doesn't work, as in the case of one of the Hierarch Square merchants which only pops up when facing them).

With the improved world map filters it would be well suited to finding them but because of the above it's basically useless :p

The one bug that bothers right now is that if you fail to read quest books through the first prompt, you can't progress at all unless you go online and check what to do next. You can try reading the book/paper/note from the menu, but it will not make the quest go forward. This bit me twice in a row in Skellige in one sitting, so I'm assuming it's a general bug.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Most of the wandering merchants in the game are straight up broken for me.

obeast

I have the base game and I'm going to play it soon. Question is if I should buy the DLC for my playthrough?

It's most natural to play the DLC after the base game, from both a mechanical and story perspective. Both have pretty high level requirements. Blood and Wine is essentially an epilogue, and makes no sense to play during the main campaign. There is one point in the game where you could conceivably play Hearts of Stone, be of high enough level, and have the plot basically make sense, but it's still better completed after (among other things, it's significantly more difficult than the base game).

That said, both expansions are excellent, probably of higher average quality than the main game (and the main game is *great*), so unless you just hate the game after playing it I would pick both of them up.

Question for trophy/achievement hunters, I completed the game and are going to start a second playthrough for the difficulty trophy, should I start afresh or do it on new game +?

ParityBit

Man, I am working through Blood and Wine and man is this game long. I think I might be hitting some fatigue with it, but I really want to get done!

This is the main game I have played since Xmas and I have Zelda (on the Switch) to get into .... or one of a million other games!

FaceTurn

Anyone know how Vernon Roche acts towards you when you first meet him after siding with Iorveth in Witcher 2? I only ever did the one playthrough of Witcher 2 and now it's got me curious.

ParityBit

This quest
Warble of a smitten knight is the worst piece of shit quest in any game I ever play! (well close). Why would they force this horse race where the combat on horses is atrocious?!

I want to throw my controller

Munki

Relatively early in the game (level 4). But is the werewolf supposed to be this difficult to defeat? I thought by getting the moon sword it would help out by not really, the bastards health keeps replenishing.

MadYarpen

Relatively early in the game (level 4). But is the werewolf supposed to be this difficult to defeat? I thought by getting the moon sword it would help out by not really, the bastards health keeps replenishing.

You need moondust bomb. N/E (I think) from Oxenfurt there is a herbalist who sells recipes.

X-Frame

I started a NG+ yesterday, I was Level 52, and on Death March it's still quite easy. I suppose that's what happens when I had an OP build going into this with the best 2 swords in the game and a melee/alchemy build with Euphoria.

I'm able to dispatch goons 6+ levels above me.

I am so happy to return to this world though.

Just got this in the Xbox One sale.

Only navigated the main menu watched the opening cutscene.

Holy shit. This sound is fantastic on my 5.1 set up. Already one of the best sounding games and I've not done anything yet.

Tell me it holds up in the main game?

Just got this in the Xbox One sale.

Only navigated the main menu watched the opening cutscene.

Holy shit. This sound is fantastic on my 5.1 set up. Already one of the best sounding games and I've not done anything yet.

Tell me it holds up in the main game?

I'm on PC, but I'm guessing the sound quality is similar. So I'll just say, after I got my 5.1 installed, my wife and I are sitting on the couch playing Witcher 3. I walked through a door and it automatically closed behind me. And my wife and I both instinctively turned around to see who had come through our door. So... yeah, it's pretty good.

Anyone know how Vernon Roche acts towards you when you first meet him after siding with Iorveth in Witcher 2? I only ever did the one playthrough of Witcher 2 and now it's got me curious.

No difference. In fact, the save import is screwed and often creates inconsistencies with your individual canon. Spoilers obviously.

Originally they had planned for Roche and Iorveth to act differently depending on your W2 decisions, but this was scrapped when they had to cut Iorveth's role in the game, as well as an entire massive questline, so all the stuff with the Temerian's also had to be redone as they were going to have them team up with Iorveth.

Paganmoon

So, grandmaster gear... any tips to get materials for it? Cause even if I hadn't stupidly spent 15k gold on that silly runemaster, I wouldn't have had enough to get all the materials for even 2 of the items.

Luxorek

So, grandmaster gear... any tips to get materials for it? Cause even if I hadn't stupidly spent 15k gold on that silly runemaster, I wouldn't have had enough to get all the materials for even 2 of the items.

It's time for you to sail the Skellige seas, mate.

But seriously... it's the best way. Smuggler caches contain everything from money, to weapons and armour. It's usually relics too, which then can be broken into expensive materials at any blacksmith/armourer in the game.

Paganmoon

It's time for you to sail the Skellige seas, mate.

But seriously... it's the best way. Smuggler caches contain everything from money, to weapons and armour. It's usually relics too, which then can be broken into expensive materials at any blacksmith/armourer in the game.

They seem to be non too popular when I google Skellige caches. How much gold are we talking about? Anything requiring more than a few hours to get enough of to complete Grandmaster Feline gear I think I'll give a pass.

MadYarpen

It is not that bad. Just don't buy materials you need for armor. Craft them. And don't buy ingreedients of these final materials either. instead of buying (for example) plate of dark steel, craft dark steel ore, dark steel ingot and then dark steel plate - or something like that.

The point is that it is much cheaper if you start with the base materials, and the deeper you go the more available materials are.

I don't remember all this but to get some very expensive metal you often can start with regular silver etc.

Paganmoon

It is not that bad. Just don't buy materials you need for armor. Craft them. And don't buy ingreedients of these final materials either. instead of buying (for example) plate of dark steel, craft dark steel ore, dark steel ingot and then dark steel plate - or something like that.

The point is that it is much cheaper if you start with the base materials, and the deeper you go the more available materials are.

I don't remember all this but to get some very expensive metal you often can start with regular silver etc.

Enriched Dimeritum is needed, which requires quite a few other materials, and I don't even have the schematics to make those. I mean, there's a limit to how much time I'm going to spend on this. A bit overkill from CDPR imo.

MadYarpen

Enriched Dimeritum is needed, which requires quite a few other materials, and I don't even have the schematics to make those. I mean, there's a limit to how much time I'm going to spend on this. A bit overkill from CDPR imo.

Well the probably you will have to pass. It takes some time to craft this. Or shit load of money if you want to do it quickly.

Just started this complete edition, my first witcher game ever. So far I'm liking it pretty well, controls are a bit twitchy but I'm sure I'll adjust. I'm playing on easy just for the story since I don't have much time to devote during the week to play.

Couple of questions:

1. I've briefly looked online but are all peoples houses just open season to loot with no consequences? Only like military camps and whatnot the guards will fight you?

2. Any specific focus I should do with my attribute points?

3. Is it best to just roam around and discover stuff, pick up side quests, or stick to the main story?

4. Any big dos or donts I should be aware of before I get too deep?

Thanks in advance!

X-Frame

Just started this complete edition, my first witcher game ever. So far I'm liking it pretty well, controls are a bit twitchy but I'm sure I'll adjust. I'm playing on easy just for the story since I don't have much time to devote during the week to play.

Couple of questions:

1. I've briefly looked online but are all peoples houses just open season to loot with no consequences? Only like military camps and whatnot the guards will fight you?

2. Any specific focus I should do with my attribute points?

3. Is it best to just roam around and discover stuff, pick up side quests, or stick to the main story?

4. Any big dos or donts I should be aware of before I get too deep?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah you can go to town on looting stuff in houses if you want, haha. And yes, not any guard camps.

Personally I invested first into the Combat tree, I picked up the first 3 skills in Fast Attacks. Once you get Whirl you'll be a lot more deadly. There are a couple other Red skills to take too like Razor Focus. Otherwise, I went into the Alchemy tree since those skills are very very powerful.

I'd say both. A lot of people recommend going into Settings and turning off Undiscovered POI's which are the Question Marks on the map. They can get very overwhelming for some people who need to clear them before moving on. I did it and it make a huge difference to me.

Otherwise, try and tackle quests at about +- 5 levels because after you are 6 levels above a quest level I think the XP you gain from them is minimal.

MadYarpen

Just do whatever you feel like at any moment. The game is huge and you can get tired of contracts/sidequests/treasurehunts/main story - so IMO it's best to jump between these, if you feel like hunting some monster, do a contract, if you are tired of it, do a sidequest. If you like the looks of these ruins - go and check them out, there probably is something interesting. Etc. For me this is the best way to approach this game.

And turn of ? marks on the map.

Kamion

I need some advice on the DLC. Would I enjoy it?
To answer that I guess I should quickly write what I enjoy and don't enjoy :p

The Good
- Sidequests are amazing. Sure, there's a few fetch quests and contracts are glorified kill quests and at the end of the day, you do the same thing in all of them. But even sidequests have fun stories.
- The world is nice
- Gwent

All in all, I enjoy the worldbuilding and story aspect a lot.

The Meh
- Combat is okay, just doesn't feel all that good tbh.
- An extension to that, but "boss battles" are just not interesting.

The Bad
- Inventory management is awful
- Progression is awful (Wolf Set is level 18 in Kaer Morhen, all the upgrades are in earlier parts of the game... Just one example)

So gameplay, not so much. I just can't seem to care about character building.

Anyway, so I guess my question is: How exactly does the DLC look and where does it come into play? Is it post-game story? Or at any time?
Does it even have a lot of moral-decision heavy story or is it mostly an excuse to get moar levels and better equip?

If it adds intriguing story, I might be interested. But I'm 0% interested in better equipment or skills or whatnot in this game, so if that's the focus, nah.

JustinBB7

The Good
- Sidequests are amazing. Sure, there's a few fetch quests and contracts are glorified kill quests and at the end of the day, you do the same thing in all of them. But even sidequests have fun stories.
- The world is nice
- Gwent

The Meh

The Bad
- Progression is awful (Wolf Set is level 18 in Kaer Morhen, all the upgrades are in earlier parts of the game... Just one example)

Anyway, so I guess my question is: How exactly does the DLC look and where does it come into play? Is it post-game story? Or at any time?
Does it even have a lot of moral-decision heavy story or is it mostly an excuse to get moar levels and better equip?

If it adds intriguing story, I might be interested. But I'm 0% interested in better equipment or skills or whatnot in this game, so if that's the focus, nah.

DLC is light on side quest focusses a lot on main quest storylines, 1 takes place in Oxenfurt and the other in an entirely new area which is beautiful. There is another Gwent tournament in the last DLC.

Combat stays the same, with some slight upgrades, but the DLC bosses are 10 times better than main game bosses.

Inventory and stuff stays the same obviously.

Do both after main game, and in short the expansions are really different from the main game. Stand alone stories but they're all insanely good. Many people even like the expansions better than the main game I'd say. They're just insanely high quality.

Luxorek

All DLC are level 30+ and were designed to be done post-game. However, you should be around 32-33 in the last few hours of the game, so could theoretically attempt to complete them. That saying, Blood and Wine is meant as an epilogue and a send off for Geralt and it hits much more if you leave it for last.

Hearts of Stone
- 10 hours of content, could be stretched to 15 if you do the side quests/activities
- main storyline takes cues from Bloody Baron in that it revolves around certain group of characters and examines their past lives. Heavily inspired by Polish version of Faust, called Pan Twardowski. Features some pretty tough moral dilemmas throughout.
- boss encounters were revamped, some clearly inspired by Dark Souls

Blood and Wine
- takes places in an entirely new region, about a size of Velen. Heavily inspired by French countryside.
- 20-30 hours, tons of great side quests and a solid main storyline
- introduces armor dyes, even better versions of Witcher gear

Coreda

DLC is light on side quest focusses a lot on main quest storylines.

I'd say for those that it does have Blood and Wine offers a good variety of unique sidequests, while with Hearts of Stone it's not a real focus and doesn't offer many interesting activities in the new region besides the main quest.

B&W also has one of like only two (?) elven dungeon-y areas in the entire game, albeit rather short-lived. Would have loved if they expanded on that aspect, really.

MadYarpen

The Good
- The world is nice
- Gwent

The Meh

The Bad

I think you will enjoy both. The stories are just as good, if not better, there are some of the best quests , especially in HoS, boss battles are massively improved, world is just as good if not better, character building gests some diversity with mutations in B&W ...
But I guess you will not enjoy crafting grandmaster sets iin B&W.

FaceTurn

What did you do in the quest, following the thread?
I'm pretty certain karadin is full of it but I can't bring myself to murder. If you kill him, Geralt feels pretty crap afterwards and if you spare him, karadin seems genuinely thankful. Also, can't believe everything lambert says. He's blinded by revenge.

Kamion

Thanks on the advice guys! Seems like I'll have enough to enjoy in the expansions, so I'll get them :) What tipped me over was the statement, that they're "[kinda] different from the main game" so that intruiges me a lot.
My main gripe with the combat is that you're overleveled if you do everything (should have started on Death March) so if the DLC is post-game and that means that it's balanced for that level range, this might change my viewpoint on that as well. And "boss battles inspired by Dark Souls". Yes please.

What did you do in the quest, following the thread?
I'm pretty certain karadin is full of it but I can't bring myself to murder. If you kill him, Geralt feels pretty crap afterwards and if you spare him, karadin seems genuinely thankful. Also, can't believe everything lambert says. He's blinded by revenge.

I spared him. He seemed genuinely sorry for his past and seemed to want to leave it behind him. While I don't think that time lessens his sins (the slavery and whatnot), he seems to want to repent. Also I believe his side of the story concerning the whole "They killed a Witcher" thing.

I base most of this off the note you find in Skellige, where he flat out tells the guy that he doesn't want anything to do with the business anymore. One could argue that he also tells him "There are others that might help you" so he doesn't discourage him, that's good enough for me.
If I had an option to report his crimes and knew it would not end in death, I would've maybe taken that. But he does not deserve to die.

And just like you, I think Lambert is just blinded by rage and not reasonable at all. He has his version of what happened there, but he wasn't around either, so we just don't know. And I don't feel like killing someone for a "maybe".

I'm more interested in what people did with
the succubi.

I spared both of them because they're intelligent and reasonable. The one in Novigrad was easy enough. I just saw no reason at all to attack her, it genuinely sounded like self-defense.
But the one in Skellige... that one was harder. She did kill people and (I think?) destroyed the minds of others. While she said that she warned the old man, I'm not so sure about that, it seems succubi can hypnotise, so did he reaaaally have the choice of not coming back to her?

In the end I spared her because I don't think she's inherently dangerous. Reddit seems to think this is a very easy choice, but I don't think so.

MadYarpen

Thanks on the advice guys! Seems like I'll have enough to enjoy in the expansions, so I'll get them :) What tipped me over was the statement, that they're "[kinda] different from the main game" so that intruiges me a lot.
My main gripe with the combat is that you're overleveled if you do everything (should have started on Death March) so if the DLC is post-game and that means that it's balanced for that level range, this might change my viewpoint on that as well. And "boss battles inspired by Dark Souls". Yes please.

Expansions are more difficult than the main game, that's for sure. I think I was around lvl 40 when I started HoS and almost got killed by a pack of nekkers. It is not a soulsborne level of difficulty of course. But still, more challenging.

Boof

Ok, so i'm on my 3rd playthrough (1st on PC). I want to 100% the game this time, but I failed the High Stakes quest because I forgot I couldn't leave part way through the quest. I wanted to go beef up my deck a little more. Well the "Quest Failed" dialogue never popped up when I left so I never thought twice about it. When I came back to the Passaflora the dialog pops up! This is 3 hours later btw. So I don't have a quicksave or autosave available as they have already been overwritten. And I didn't manual save it. :(

My question is this. Is there a console command to reset the state of the quest back to the beginning? I've been searching for quite a while now and haven't found anything. Or is there a record of previous save files that I could find somewhere? (Or are they just overwritten) I don't mind replaying the 3 hours if I could go back and complete the quest. Or am I just screwed?

Munki

Island in the Mist quest just opened up for me. I'm currently sitting at level 21, so I was just wondering if I should level up a bit or should I just go ahead do the final battle.

Top Bottom