• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

Txαi

Man, I just realized the Garfield comic covers uses the Cooper Black font and now I am seeing it everywhere: from products to store lettering. Then again, it is said every designer used this font at least once.

Dinjooh

Even though this thread is as inactive as ever, I needed to vent and this seems like a perfect outlet.

Yesterday we had a meeting with the bureau whose doing our visual identity (The biggest firm in denmark) and what they showed us was just so.... underwhelming.. Like.. It reminded me of what some of my classmates did in year 1 of art school. This is something that the company paid a huuuge sum of money for, and all three of us just had a big 'mjeeeh' when we saw it.

Fucking weird having a two hour meeting and then basically just feeling completely disappointed afterwards.

Anywho; first time for me being on the 'receiving' end of graphic design, and that was.. new, to say the least.

SystemBug

Even though this thread is as inactive as ever, I needed to vent and this seems like a perfect outlet.

Yesterday we had a meeting with the bureau whose doing our visual identity (The biggest firm in denmark) and what they showed us was just so.... underwhelming.. Like.. It reminded me of what some of my classmates did in year 1 of art school. This is something that the company paid a huuuge sum of money for, and all three of us just had a big 'mjeeeh' when we saw it.

Fucking weird having a two hour meeting and then basically just feeling completely disappointed afterwards.

Anywho; first time for me being on the 'receiving' end of graphic design, and that was.. new, to say the least.

That's a shame :( did they at least have a good rational behind their design?

Dinjooh

That's a shame :( did they at least have a good rational behind their design?

Sure. It was just completely off the mark in terms of what we see the brand as.

It was very basic, very clean and had a very loud colour palette. Turquoise combined with dark blue, add in some bordeaux on top. They had apparently taken inspiration in Premier League rebranding, and it definitely had similar feels; this was just.. badly done.

We ended up sending them some feedback and we had two positive things to say, and 37 negative things. Very curious how they'll take it from here.

God Enel

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to ask a question.

I have a picture (of my cap) with a certain type of font-type in it. Is it possible to "extract the font-type" out of the picture or is there a tool to say which font-type it is?

Problem is I have absolutely no idea how to use photoshop or anything like that..

Basically I wanna change the text, print (?) it on another cap and give it to a friend as a present. If necessary I can upload the image.

Dinjooh

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to ask a question.

I have a picture (of my cap) with a certain type of font-type in it. Is it possible to "extract the font-type" out of the picture or is there a tool to say which font-type it is?

Problem is I have absolutely no idea how to use photoshop or anything like that..

Basically I wanna change the text, print (?) it on another cap and give it to a friend as a present. If necessary I can upload the image.

You can either upload it here or another graphic design forum and make people guess it, or you can try to isolate the text and upload it to something like:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

I'd gladly take a stab at it :)

God Enel

You can either upload it here or another graphic design forum and make people guess it, or you can try to isolate the text and upload it to something like:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

I'd gladly take a stab at it :)

Wow thank you very much for your response and helpful tips!

I'll upload it here and try it @myfonts.com

Didn't know something like that existed.

So... now to the picture:
https://imgur.com/a/mNrMQ

I wanna change the goodtimes to badtimes or darktimes.. the missing letters I would have to create by myself if it's not a specific font.. and i dont know if i have to create a vector graphic out of it.. Problem is I only have MS Paint..

Do I have to take a better picture maybe or is this one sufficient enough?

Dinjooh

Wow thank you very much for your response and helpful tips!

I'll upload it here and try it @myfonts.com

Didn't know something like that existed.

So... now to the picture:
https://imgur.com/a/mNrMQ

I wanna change the goodtimes to badtimes or darktimes.. the missing letters I would have to create by myself if it's not a specific font.. and i dont know if i have to create a vector graphic out of it.. Problem is I only have MS Paint..

Do I have to take a better picture maybe or is this one sufficient enough?

I'm not that well versed in handwritten fonts, but looking around at some that are tall and thin, something like this free one should be a good substitute:

http://www.dafont.com/the-skinny.font

I would recommend dafont in general for things such as this. I don't use it much professionally since there's usually much better paid alternatives, but for small hobby projects it should be more than plenty.

Would y'all mind checking out my portfolio and giving me some feedback? I've linked it in email tags. I'm currently a student and I'm beginning to ramp up my search for internships and part-time work in the field, so it'd be great if I could get some fresh takes on my work and the areas in which I'm lacking. Thanks.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to figure out what this typeface is:

font6nsub.png

It's for the logo of a Swedish store chain that closed down in 2000. It was owned by H&M. Any ideas what it could be?

Galne Gunnar translates to Crazy Gunnar. It was a bit like Crazy Eddie.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Hello there people.
There are some pretty impressively talented individuals in here. Wow.

I am hoping that some of you might be able to help a complete rookie to all of this find his way.

My position at work includes some responsibilities with making posters, flyers and images for our website. I do not have any design schooling at all and my workplace doesn't have high expectations for what I create. Meaning everything I have done is better than what they ever had before.
I am enjoying what I have been doing, but I want to do better.
I want to do better work and I want to understand the process better so I am more efficient.

I have limited resources but I'm sure if I knew what I needed to progress I could get some funding for software as long as I could utilize it.

Ok that's a bit of who I am. Now to some questions...

1. Is there anyplace I can get free fonts that don't come with garbage malware? I downloaded several fonts and they bogged my pc down to a crawl and even caused crashes at times.

2. I am using Serif PagePlus and Photoshop CS6.
I have no experience with software and this has been decent for me as I learn some basics.
Am I fine working with these for now or do I need to start learning on something else so I a not wasting my time?

3. Any online course out there you could suggest or good tutorials out there ??
I have spent countless hours watching youtube vids already and wouldn't mind something with a little better direction of progression.

Thank you much!

1. Is there anyplace I can get free fonts that don't come with garbage malware? I downloaded several fonts and they bogged my pc down to a crawl and even caused crashes at times.

2. I am using Serif PagePlus and Photoshop CS6.
I have no experience with software and this has been decent for me as I learn some basics.
Am I fine working with these for now or do I need to start learning on something else so I a not wasting my time?

3. Any online course out there you could suggest or good tutorials out there ??
I have spent countless hours watching youtube vids already and wouldn't mind something with a little better direction of progression.

1. You can download fonts from Google Fonts for desktop use. Other than that, fontsquirrel is probably the closest thing to one of those dodgy font sites I'd be comfortable using. As a side note, if you're seeking out fonts often enough that this is a pain point, you may be leaning too heavily on fonts overall. Which is common when you're starting out, but you may want to rely more on classic fonts (many of which are probably pre-installed with your operating system and Photoshop install).

2. You are probably ok with Photoshop while you learn the basics, but you should try to get your employers to spring for a CC membership as soon as possible so you can learn Illustrator and InDesign. I've never heard of PagePlus, but the newer Affinity apps are pretty solid, so maybe it is at least a little better than most other desktop publishing programs. But skill with it probably won't help you much down the road.

3. I don't learn as well from videos as I do from books, so I'd recommend starting with the books Grid Systems in Graphic Design by Mueller-Brockman, and Elements of Typographic Style by Bringhurst. If i had to recommend a video training resource I would probably recommend something like Treehouse, but with the caveat that most online training I've seen is geared very heavily toward software skills and not so much toward design skills.

I try to avoid using fonts from any site that looks like it allows ordinary folks to upload fonts to it without any real moderation or curation, because I don't feel like I can do my due diligence re:licensing for those. So I avoid dafont personally.

SystemBug

Rösti;250107528 said:
I've been trying to figure out what this typeface is:

font6nsub.png

It's for the logo of a Swedish store chain that closed down in 2000. It was owned by H&M. Any ideas what it could be?

Galne Gunnar translates to Crazy Gunnar. It was a bit like Crazy Eddie.

I tried searching but no luck :(

SystemBug

Does anyone know where I might be able to get (if at all) a font like the one featured in the video below at the time stamp?

https://youtu.be/bE47er6qnqg?t=1m44s

And then I would like something else in a design similar to this:

wQviXUp.jpg

Would that have to be bespoke art?

Here for the Thor one

https://www.dafont.com/modi-thorson.font?text=RAGNAROK

here for the pixel style one:

https://www.dafont.com/pixelzim3x5.font?text=DANGEROUS

the font has a distinct 'N' and this is one that I thought was similar

Top Bottom