• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
jqFcA.jpg

dead fish smell even worse. Joss wins again!!!

That is amazing. I'd love to know if anyone actually bought it because it from the guy behind Avvy and Titanic.

And I don't know, Reavers probably smell worse.

noah111

Still Alive
To be fair, one good movie doesn't mean he doesn't suck or that the majority of his past work wasn't shit. He'll forever be tainted by Firefly, Serenity and Dollhouse.

There's no washing that stink off.
Doesn't matter. People immediately laughed off Avengers due solely to their feelings of Whedon and thus warped those baseline assumptions into saying that it was going to suck and not do well in the box office.

And as far as I can tell, those mouths are where the crow goes.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That was brought up in an Avengers series once, but I don't remember which one.
Loki was still awesome in this movie though.

Earth X made a huge deal about it, but the scope of that book is much larger than just Avengers.

Doesn't matter. People immediately laughed off Avengers due solely to their feelings of Whedon and thus warped those baseline assumptions into saying that it was going to suck and not do well in the box office.

And as far as I can tell, those mouths are where the crow goes.

I was one of those and while I don't accept I need to eat crow, I do accept that he pulled off the surprise of the decade.

The reason why I don't feel the need to eat crow? There was nothing about his past work that even hinted to him being able to pull it off, and while the movie does have a few Whedon-esque moments that suck, the rest of the movie is enjoyable enough that they get a pass/don't affect the movie too much.

He's earned a lot of respect, will be interesting to see where he goes from here. If he's able to replicate the critical success he's had with TA in something unique/without the controlling hand of Marvel. I have my doubts, but I won't be overlooking/bad mouthing whatever he does next until I've seen it.

marrec

Banned
To be fair, one good movie doesn't mean he doesn't suck or that the majority of his past work wasn't shit. He'll forever be tainted by Firefly, Serenity and Dollhouse.

:lol, Tainted by Firefly, the best Sci-Fi filmed in decades.

:lol, Tainted by Firefly, the best Sci-Fi filmed in decades.

agree to disagree. I didn't find it particularly well written, directed or acted, but to each his/her own.

Yeah, it's not like the guy had any experience writing ensemble pieces.

Oh wait.

Yeah, he also managed to make most of them dull, one dimensional, etc.

As i said, to each his/her own. Some found his work to be amazing, some didn't. I fall into the latter, which is why I didn't see him pulling this off.

Demon Ice

Banned

Did you just imply that Firefly and Serenity sucked? Aren't you also the dude that thinks shawarmas suck?

5qOPW.gif

All of those things are fucking amazing.

The reason the scene is so powerful is because Loki is an effective villian.

Not really, the reason the scene works is because Hiddleston plays the holier-than-thou role perfectly.

Loki is a bad villain: he's weak as hell and the thing he's supposed to be good at --- mind tricks --- isn't showcased effectively.

WillyFive

I also wondered if this movie needed to exist. It seems like this story would've been fun in a comic book or a cartoon - did we really to translate it to the big screen with humans? I'm not sure.

By the way, the costumes, monsters, and especially the Leviathans all looked like they belong in Kamen Rider.

Yeah, you're joking.

Anyway, it's good to have honest superhero movies. Not that there isn't anything wrong with Kamen Rider anyway, but seeing these stuff with a big budget really sells it.

I thought the 3d was terrible

Far too dark and it made the action sequences incredidbly hard to see

Must have been a problem with your theater. The fight scenes were fantastic in 3D, and the movie was never dark with the glasses on.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, you're joking.

Anyway, it's good to have honest superhero movies. Not that there isn't anything wrong with Kamen Rider anyway, but seeing these stuff with a big budget really sells it.

The skrulls kinda do look like super upscale kamen rider villains in the movie though. And tony and thor did go through transformation sequences that rival some riders.

dankir

Nooooo.

tumblr_m0aafq0yJZ1qmcag5o1_500.gif

*vomits*

I loved every second of this movie, it just seems that Hulk was too "small"

He was what only 7 - 8 Ft in this? Bana and Norton Hulk seemed much taller / larger.

edit: Anyways he's alway been on of my favorite Marvel heroes.

HULK SMASH!?@?!

hulk6fkob.gif

Hulk_throws_bear.gif

wpid-tumblr_m2bi9t9vdh1qiikcuo1_5001.gif

Xun

He was what only 7 - 8 Ft in this? Bana and Norton Hulk seemed much taller / larger.
Done on purpose most likely.

It makes more sense in a film like this.

Famassu

Yeah, he also managed to make most of them dull, one dimensional, etc.
You can bitch all you want about his trademark dialogue (which isn't objectively bad, I personally enjoy his style immensily, but understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea) and some actors in his shows not exactly being A-class acts (though, that doesn't hinder my enjoyment of his shows), but "one dimensional" does not describe anything he's done.

Also, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is some awesome shit, so him being able to handle Avengers well is no surprise.

jett

D-Member

The Ang Lee Hulk was huge.

hulk2003.jpg

He actually gets bigger as the movie progresses.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is definitely my favorite of the hulks. Ang Lee's was too green and cartoony (literally cartoony, I mean, like a rendering of a cartoon character rather than a comic book character). His face is very problematic for me.

Norton's was too... I don't know, gritty? Way too much sinew. :(
Lb221.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
This is definitely my favorite of the hulks. Ang Lee's was too green and cartoony (literally cartoony, I mean, like a rendering of a cartoon character rather than a comic book character). His face is very problematic for me.

Norton's was too... I don't know, gritty? Way too much sinew. :(
Lb221.jpg

Norton Hulk was like a super model

BARKSTAR

Banned
$103,163,000 2nd weekend.
$1 billion WW in 19 days.

It also has already topped TDK in WW gross and now is the highest grossing comic book based film.

I'm not surprised this happened at all but I am surprised by how many people thought this would not do well. I was in no doubt it would do a billion dollars + without a problem. I am shocked at how quickly it has achieved this though. Sequel should get some serious funding and I hope it comes with a better story flow this time. Could be an incredible film.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I saw it again last night and the overall experience was much better thanks to the much better seats I was able to secure this time. I miss the much livelier audience from the midnight opening, though.

I think my hype has finally settled down before I sat to watch it again, but I still think it's undoubtedly Marvel Studio's best effort to date, and easily in my top 3 superhero movies of all time (I'll admit that the other two are boosted by nostalgia, though).

It really nails/lives up to what I (or at least my younger self) expects out of comic movies, even the weaker parts are reminiscent of some comics' pitfalls.

Speaking of weaker parts, if I had to pick my least favorite line from the movie, it was Cap's "There's only one god, and I'm sure he doesn't dress like that." I mean I know it's Ol' fashioned Cap and everything, but I was hoping for something more subtle. Then again, I'm not an avid reader of his comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom