• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Screenshots From the Cancelled Prey 2 Leak

i-Lo

prey_2_7_by_gifsandmore-d6gdzaf.gif

Coiote

So thats all the evidence there is? Some internet guy?

There is enough rumors circulating the internet aligning themselves to what was said in that post. Brian Fargo on his first kickstarter campaign said a bunch too without naming directly Bathesda.

Grief.exe

So thats all the evidence there is? Some internet guy?

The evidence is in that post. He has worked with several Bethesda employees who confirmed that view.

The writing is on the wall what he was saying just corroborates the evidence.

Grief.exe

Bethesda is such a joke. They just continue to dig themselves a deeper and deeper hole.

From that IGN article.

"The reason that it got delayed the way it did is because it was not hitting the quality bar that it was supposed to and needed to," Hines said. "That was ultimately the problem. It had nothing to do with what it was trying to do. It just didn't hit the quality bar."

Check the thread.

Te responses from the other thread taking personal accounts from former Bethesda employees, the twitter posts from former Bethesda employees, Brian Fargo's comments, what happened to both Arkane and Human Head.

It isn't that difficult to connect the dots.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Bethesda got a loss out of this, but really, they probably don't even care or didn't loss crap (since they stopped paying the devs).

Ubisoft might be milking their IP's, Microsoft might have tried to sell you an online-only console, and EA probably doesn't give a shit about you except for your wallet, but Bethesda (publisher, not developer, and I know this) is pretty much forcing developers (what should be the driving force of the industry) into their willing by stopping to pay them, and then offering them to be part of them. EDIT: Just to then make you do their projects. Read the new rumor: The Dishonored team is doing Prey 2, while this might be awesome for us, what about them? With such a creative force behind them, they are being obligated to make Bethesda's biding.

Sure, other publishers probably obligate their devs into doing certain projects, but I seriously doubt the publishers stop paying developers to try and purchase them in such a hostile manner.

Happened to Arkane, happened to the new Wolfenstein's devs, maybe it'll happen to Mikami's team, who knows? I hope no developer is unlucky enough to be forced to sign with Bethesda because every other publisher said no.

Grief.exe

Radar Group was pretty much a non entity/dead in the water?

They actually sounds kind if unique in the industry. From wikipedia

Radar Group is a video and computer game company. It is neither a publisher nor a development studio,[1] but rather a brand creation and portfolio management company. It co-creates original intellectual property (IP), designed from the ground up, working with independent developer studios and funding its pre-production. The IP is created in a way that it is ready to make it easily viable for cross-media monetization. The IP ownership is co-owned by Radar and the development studio.[2]

model13

This feels like one of those games that looks and sounds amazing until you play it, and it takes a shit on your chest and expects you to enjoy it.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Bethesda said:
Hines reaffirmed what IGN was told by Bethesda in June about the delays: the game's quality is to blame for the position it's in now.

Pretty hypocritical from Bethesda to say it was the quality which wasn't up to standards and they themselves let a turd like Skyrim slide.

Grief.exe

Pretty hypocritical from Bethesda to say it was the quality which wasn't up to standards and they themselves let a turd like Skyrim slide.

It also corroborates what all of the industry veterans have been saying about Bethesda/Zenimax's business practices.

They stop approving milestones because of 'quality' reasons. Then, when the company can't afford to pay their own employees, Zenimax swoops in and buys the company.

These practices are illegal. Difficult and expensive to prove, but illegal nonetheless.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bathesda responded to the new batch of rumors on IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/03/bethesda-arkane-is-not-involved-in-prey-2

Quality eh? Where was this quality standard when they were developing Skyrim's PS3 version?

well port quality =/= game quality (then again they published shitty games like WET, Brink and Rogue Warrior) so yeah that excuse is very bad.

But still... this is a weird move, if it was about quality they could've shifted the project to other developers instead of killing it and wasting all their money, the 2011 demo was promising and if HH wasn't up to their "level of quality" sure some other developer can, I really think there are more into the cancellation decision (and from both HH and Zenimax sides) both companies are hiding something.

Bethesda marketing and PR boss Pete Hines told Rock, Paper, Shotgun emphatically that Arkane is working on an unrelated project and has not assumed development of Prey 2, as was reported back in May. "No," he stated simply when questioned at QuakeCon. "

So Arkane Lyon isn't working on Prey 2 :/

well hoping for a Arx Fatalis reboot/sequel then.

Neuro

So I am just trying to decide which company is more evil :-

Electronic Arts (The world seems to be in love with them even before the internet became a sprawling sanctuary)

Rockstar Games (The Red Dead Fiasco was pretty big)

Activision (For junking the gaming catalogue with more sequels than everyone out there)

Zenimax

Grief.exe

Electronic Arts (The world seems to be in love with them even before the internet became a sprawling sanctuary)

Activision (For junking the gaming catalogue with more sequels than everyone out there)

Zenimax

iDGwWwAbDYpuz.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Zenimax

Ubi (uplay, drm, Patrice Desilets/1666), Sony (killing tons of studios left and right), Capcom (Clover shutdown, all other crap)..others

Zenimax is shoddy as all hell (well its a group of companies run by group of rich lawyers) but they are still very tiny and just small and really almost irrelevant compared to the other, so their evil practices don't hurt that many souls.

They actually sounds kind if unique in the industry. From wikipedia

Radar Group is a video and computer game company. It is neither a publisher nor a development studio,[1] but rather a brand creation and portfolio management company. It co-creates original intellectual property (IP), designed from the ground up, working with independent developer studios and funding its pre-production. The IP is created in a way that it is ready to make it easily viable for cross-media monetization. The IP ownership is co-owned by Radar and the development studio.[2]

Always figured they were kinda like Mistwalker in a way.

Never seen anything with their branding on it, though.

Grief.exe

this game must be released and on next gen.

bethesda take your time but work on it!

The game in those screenshots is dead, we will never see it.

It was rumored that Arkane was working on the IP, but Bethesda confirmed last night that Wasn't the case.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The game in those screenshots is dead, we will never see it.

It was rumored that Arkane was working on the IP, but Bethesda confirmed last night that Wasn't the case.

going with the Kotaku rumor Bethesda moved the game to Obsidian then to Arkane, maybe they moved it again to other developers since that time (especially now that Arkane have a big hit with Dishonored, they don't want to upset them).

so... Rebellion maybe?

Grief.exe

How would they have moved it to Obsidian and then Arkane?

They don't own Obsidian. They would have had to sign a contract, then, apparently, breach that contract, to move it to Arkane.

Just doesn't make any sense.

i-Lo

They don't own Obsidian. They would have had to sign a contract, then, apparently, breach that contract, to move it to Arkane.

How salvageable is this game now though?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

well Obsidian can do anything for just two cans of tuna no contract needed :p

I dunno, but going with what Zenimax said about Arkane not working on it, seems like the Kotaku rumor was completely wrong now including the Obsidian part.

Human Head's Prey 2? There is no hope for it.

Human Head will never work with Bethesda ever again, Bethesda sound like they don't care much to complete the HH's prey 2 project (they have other studios but they didn't give anyone the game).

as for Prey future, I think Bethesda will just wait few years and reboot the thing with Arkane or Machinegames.

FACE

Banned

I hope Bethesda/Zenimax stays the fuck away from Obsidian.

Grief.exe

From what I've heard it uses an extremely modified version of id tech 4. A very convulotuted and confusing engine to begin with, but only Human Head has ever worked with this engine in its current state.

If Bethesda just took everything from Human Head, and uprooted it to another studio, it would take them months just to figure out where to start.

And that's if Human Head handed over all of their assets. You can be sure they would delete a few key files to make it even more difficult.

Metal-Geo

So with all these "fuck you bethesda"s being thrown about, we're absolutely certain Human Head wasn't (partially) at fault here?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So with all these "fuck you bethesda"s being thrown about, we're absolutely certain Human Head wasn't (partially) at fault here?

Not sure, but thing is, many key members (engine dude, lead) left Human Head before even we hear about the problems, I'd say things within HH wasn't going smoothly from the start, but Bethesda could've saved the project if they wanted by supporting HH (and not buying them) instead of just shutting it down

TheContact

Prey 1 was so awesome. That bar scene where the blue oyster cult's don't fear the reaper song comes on was so memorable.

TheContact

Bathesda responded to the new batch of rumors on IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/03/bethesda-arkane-is-not-involved-in-prey-2

Quality eh? Where was this quality standard when they were developing Skyrim's PS3 version?

FO3 GOTY was even worse, virtually unplayable because it crashes every 5 minutes of gameplay---to this day, they still have not patched it. Glad I only paid $20 or I would write a letter to beth corporate asking for a refund. I only still have it because I don't like to throw games away

i-Lo

From what I've heard it uses an extremely modified version of id tech 4. A very convulotuted and confusing engine to begin with, but only Human Head has ever worked with this engine in its current state.

If Bethesda just took everything from Human Head, and uprooted it to another studio, it would take them months just to figure out where to start.

And that's if Human Head handed over all of their assets. You can be sure they would delete a few key files to make it even more difficult.

Well, if your project on which significant hours of your life was spent was unceremoniously sabotaged and taken possession of (in a manner of speaking), it would perhaps trigger a strong emotional response as well.

At this point, it seems that Prey 2 is in the ground and complete engine overhaul would be a better solution. Given this upcoming generation is going to be 6 years long, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebirth of some kind at the hands of one Bethesda's internal studios sometime in the future.

Let's also remember Obsidian not getting that bonus on New Vegas because the metacritic score dipped out on 84 instead of 85, and their next move was to go with KickStarter, and not Bestheda as a publisher.
I'm just bringing that in for sentimental reasons obviously, but a sane person wouldn't deny a creator their worth based something that silly. I mean, come on.

These screens look like the game was nearing completion, even if not all of its content would have been completed. But the skeleton at least appears to be there.
A damn shame.

Grief.exe

Well, if your project on which significant hours of your life was spent was unceremoniously sabotaged and taken possession of (in a manner of speaking), it would perhaps trigger a strong emotional response as well.

At this point, it seems that Prey 2 is in the ground and complete engine overhaul would be a better solution. Given this upcoming generation is going to be 6 years long, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebirth of some kind at the hands of one Bethesda's internal studios sometime in the future.

I think you may have quoted the wrong person.

Your first statement doesn't seem targeted at anything I said, and your second statement more or less agrees with me.

Metal-Geo

Not sure, but thing is, many key members (engine dude, lead) left Human Head before even we hear about the problems, I'd say things within HH wasn't going smoothly from the start, but Bethesda could've saved the project if they wanted by supporting HH (and not buying them) instead of just shutting it down
Maybe they could've, maybe they couldn't. But what if Human Head was spending Bethesda's budget irresponsibly? What if they kept missing milestones after milestones? What if there was barely any progress made over a certain stretch of time? As a publisher, you'd like to see improvements and progress in the project you're funding. And when the realization of "Okay, this isn't going anywhere" pops up, then it's only logical to re-look at the project and perhaps make some tough decisions.

That's not to say I'm blaming Human Head and siding with Bethesda or anything. But I think it's a bit unfair to put all the blame on Bethesda now, when it's not unrealistic if Human Head was actually at fault.

I was/am really looking forward to Prey 2. Many people were! Hell, it got nothing but great comments and compliments during the E3 show. Not even Bethesda would simply kill of a project like this for no good reason.

i-Lo

I think you may have quoted the wrong person.

Your first statement doesn't seem targeted at anything I said, and your second statement more or less agrees with me.

Sorry perhaps I wrote it the wrong way but what I meant to say is that if HH themselves sabotaged a little of their project while transferring all assets over as to make bethesda's life more difficult, it wouldn't surprise me.

What a waste. This game had so much potential.

I remember watching it on E3 (2011?), it looked so great. Too bad we'll never get the chance to play it.

creyas

FO3 GOTY was even worse, virtually unplayable because it crashes every 5 minutes of gameplay---to this day, they still have not patched it. Glad I only paid $20 or I would write a letter to beth corporate asking for a refund. I only still have it because I don't like to throw games away

It has a number of issues and solutions. You might need to limit it to use only a single core, run it in a maximized window, replace audio codecs IIRC.. ran without the audio thing on my last system but now i needed to do that to get it stable. Stable means maybe only one crash in a whole evening of play.

Top Bottom