• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Also when you guys have seen the movie, go download the new Power Rangers game on the App Store. It's free and fun to play.

XRgzlHD.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I came from the movie.

You know, for me, I'm actually shocked. It's... entertaining! It's not a good movie but it veers to the bad it's good level. Think of Michael Bay's first Transformers film rather than the sequels which had nothing redeeming even for its terribleness that you wonder how people find entertainment from them.

Yeah it's definitely edgy, but they never took away the camp value.

I actually think the problem of the film is the progression from the middle to the beginning of the final act. Pacing felt like it slowed on that part.

Also aside from the Zeo Crystal reference, it had a couple of Zyuranger references too.

Oddduck

I'm surprised to see Jason and Tommy in the same picture together.

Shame they couldn't get Amy Jo Johnson in the picture as well.

Also when you guys have seen the movie, go download the new Power Rangers game on the App Store. It's free and fun to play.
Man, they've really improved the game from the beta. It was so laggy, it almost played like a strategy game. LOL

It's so nice now. I even paid the $10 for the Green Ranger. Gotta support the smaller devs + you get the best boy.

Delio

You know, for me, I'm actually shocked. It's... entertaining! It's not a good movie but it veers to the bad it's good level. Think of Michael Bay's first Transformers film rather than the sequels which had nothing redeeming even for its terribleness that you wonder how people find entertainment from them.

I actually think the problem of the film is the progression from the middle to the beginning of the final act. Pacing felt like it slowed on that part.

Also aside from the Zeo Crystal reference, it had a couple of Zyuranger references too.

Did they actually show the Zeo Crystal?

I interpret that as, "In the 90s version, each of the five characters were very interested in martial arts as civilians. In this version, there's plenty of hand-to-hand combat, but they don't practice martial arts outside of the costumes."

That being said, martial arts were a big thing in the 90s and they're just not really as big a thing anymore.

totally not true. what do you think MMA is?

Penguin

It's the breakfast Club of Superhero movies

Almost to a fault, I find the least interesting aspect to be the actual Rangers part in the last 3rd

Pachimari

Just came out of the cinema and is processing my impressions. But right now I gotta say "Holy shit!" at what we've got here. It's no doubt the best Power Rangers movie I've ever seen. There's so many things to say.

And yes, the original "Go Go Power Rangers," theme song is playing when the Zords are called upon.

Everything about this movie is great, but do know, that most of the movie is dark and takes itself serious. Here Billy Cranston is a nice counterpart that tone with his humor and jokes.

Every single Power Rangers is likable, although I'm not convinced about Becky G and her acting as the yellow Ranger. They are all very distinct which is great and this is especially seen in a sweet scene around a bonfire.

What more can be said? The fighting looks absolutely sick, but we don't get much of it. In fact, we get more scenes with the Zords and Megazord than them fighting as Rangers but what we get is absolutely amazing.

The intro scene is the best I've seen in any Power Rangers an is very reminiscence of the dark fan film from some years ago.

The two cameos were very small and the mid-credits scene was disappointing.

Saban's Power Rangers (2017) - ★★★★☆

Busty

Banned
Just came out of the cinema and is processing my impressions. But right now I gotta say "Holy shit!" at what we've got here. It's no doubt the best Power Rangers movie I've ever seen. There's so many things to say.

And yes, the original "Go Go Power Rangers," theme song is playing when the Zords are called upon.

Everything about this movie is great, but do know, that most of the movie is dark and takes itself serious. Here Billy Cranston is a nice counterpart that tone with his humor and jokes.

Every single Power Rangers is likable, although I'm not convinced about Becky G and her acting as the yellow Ranger. They are all very distinct which is great and this is especially seen in a sweet scene around a bonfire.

What more can be said? The fighting looks absolutely sick, but we don't get much of it. In fact, we get more scenes with the Zords and Megazord than them fighting as Rangers but what we get is absolutely amazing.

The intro scene is the best I've seen in any Power Rangers an is very reminiscence of the dark fan film from some years ago.

I have no intention of ever watching this so could you spoil the mid credit scene for me in spoilers please?

obin_gam

Just came out of the cinema and is processing my impressions. But right now I gotta say "Holy shit!" at what we've got here.It's no doubt the best Power Rangers movie I've ever seen. There's so many things to say.

Everything about this movie is great,but do know, that most of the movie is dark and takes itself serious. Here Billy Cranston is a nice counterpart that tone with his humor and jokes.

What more can be said?
The fighting looks absolutely sick, but we don't get much of it. In fact, we get more scenes with the Zords and Megazord than them fighting as Rangers but what we get is absolutely amazing.

So it got nice frosting.

What about the plot, and characters?

Pachimari

Okay, full impressions:

I grew up with the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on television and VHS cassette, and even watched the Christmas special every Holiday. It was a dear thing to me. In elementary school, me and the whole class of kids would go outside and roleplay as if we were the Power Rangers, and at Halloween I would dress up as the Red Ranger while everyone else were the White one. I also wanted to be the White Tiger but the costume was sold out everywhere. I'm glad I ended up as the Red Ranger after all as Jason was my clear favorite.

I watched the first movie in the cinema when I was a kid and loved it. Two days ago I gave it a rewatch for the first time since I was a kid, and found it to better than what my memory tells me. Yesterday, I watched the Turbo: Power Rangers film for the first time ever, and although it was worse in every way compared to Mighty Morphin, it was still enjoyable to watch.

Today, a new generation of high schoolers enters the picture, and introduces new kids and old fans alike to Saban's Power Rangers that takes a few liberties but mostly sticks to the source material. This is Power Rangers as we love them, with a dark edge and immense acting. Dark edge you wonder, but please, keep reading.

The movie starts out with a very dark and edgy scene but one that is important to the history of the Power Rangers and the set up of this film. You will be surprised at who features in this intro scene and what happens, but not to give anything away, this one scene is the only one that directly mimics the fan film from a few years ago. It's the perfect start for those of us who wanted some edge and a darker tone, this however, is weighted up against some great acting, humor, fun and jokes among the teenagers.

All five of them have distinct personalities, which comes forward in a sweet and honest scene around the bonfire. In order to summon the armor and prove they are the right ones chosen, they need to sit down, and get to know each other, to care about each other. Here we learn Billy has a disorder and mostly don't understand humor and sarcasm, funnily enough he's the funniest of the bunch. His arc gets him through stuff you wouldn't see coming, although this part was the weakest of the entire plot. Zack is the wildcat who has heavy baggage with him, Trini is the outcast who rather be alone, Jason has leadership skills from American football and Kimberly has this one dark secret she needs to come forward with, but for another time.

There are various interesting subplots, like Zordon's background and why he is so interested in this Power Rangers force. Rita, her background, and her way back, and her ultimate goal. Angel Grove is a character in itself and is pretty well represented with some scenes around the high school, and you get to see some of the other students.

The movie is self-aware and knows when it jokes around, even with some serious plot details. So though it can have some dark scene here and there, it brings in the humor to balance it all out. The fighting against the puddies are some of the best fights in Power Rangers ever, unfortunately we don't get more than around three scenes of this wonder. In fact, we get more scenes with the Zords and the Megazord and it's no problem they remove their visors from their helmets while communicating. This whole end fight is so captivating, one for bringing you into it with the classic Power Rangers theme, and another because the CG has actually ended up looking great and this is not just a huge robot. It is different command centers and each Ranger have to communicate in order for the Megazord to makej the right moves, and I tell you, you will see them fail.

We get fantastic performances from everyone in the cast, everthing from Rita Repulsa to the teenagers and Zordon. The weakest link is Becky G as the Yellow Ranger as I am not convinced about her range. Alpha-5 also has a voice that doesn't fit him.

As a Power Rangers fan, having just left the theatre, I am greatful toward Lionsgate and the crew for realizing this movie, and I am happy and ecstatic because this turned out so well. This is the Power Rangers I wanted and I love them. And if the someewhat disappointing mid-credits scene is anything to go by, we might see a sequel (if it does well on the BO as well). The two cameos the film features is a sweet thing but very small part that you can miss if you're blinking.

I got to give credit to the cinematographer and the editing team, because this movie is not just littered with beautiful scenery and shots, but it's also very well edited with scenes flowing together nicely and the pacing is balanced well. The only time the pacing drops is somewhere in the second act where the teenagers finds Zordon's command center.

Wow at that fighting. Wow at those megazords. And although simple, wow at the background and setup for this movie.

Sanjuro

Funny how some people keep convincing themselves it's an average movie, when there's a legit good movie in there. Especially for the fans.

I have no expectations really outside Chronicle Rangers. Although I do know not having Bulk and Skull are going to knock whatever rating I have down by a full grade probably.

Sanjuro

I think he's always had a missing one

Apparently it got him some tail.

8.) I heard a rumor that you lost your middle finger in an accident? Is that true or a tall tale?

That’s funny ( laughs). I am missing a middle finger on my left hand. I lost it at 4 years old because of an accident and this all happened before “Power Rangers”. As a kid, growing up without a middle finger, people were fascinated by it. Girls wanted to touch it and they would oft-times scream. I lost it at a young age and I doubt it will ever come back. Yes the rumors are true but I want to reiterate that I lost my finger before “Power Rangers” and not during or after the show.

Gurrry

Going to see it tonight at a special screening, so I dont wanna really read this thread and see any type of spoiler.

I am extremely excited to see this. Im not looking for a Logan. Im looking for a good time with nostalgia sprinkled in everywhere. That sounds like what im going to get, and im gonna walk away happy.

Seriously. Hype levels are at max right now for me.

Penguin

I have no intention of ever watching this so could you spoil the mid credit scene for me in spoilers please?

Well....

Part of the early plot is that the kids spend Sat in detention. so the final scene is them in detention and stuff.

Credits roll.

Then the teacher is like, oh we have a new student joining us, Tommy Oliver? Tommy Oliver! Then it kind of goes to a green jacket.

Busty

Banned
Well....

Part of the early plot is that the kids spend Sat in detention. so the final scene is them in detention and stuff.

Credits roll.

Then the teacher is like, oh we have a new student joining us, Tommy Oliver? Tommy Oliver! Then it kind of goes to a green jacket.

I have to be honest, that would totally have gone over the top of my head.

Thanks.

Well....

Credits roll.

Tommy AFK again!

shandy706

Going to see this tomorrow night.

Not sure I'd care even if it sucked, lol. I never thought I'd see a feature film Power Rangers movie in theaters again.

Taking my 4 year old and 9 year old with me. :)

No matter how the movie is, my biggest complaint is how cheap/single tone the darn toy lines and suits look. I wish the diamond shaped white contrast was there.

Of course I'm not without my complaints, but I actually like the original Transformers movie and agree it's the best one. That got a 57% RT, which is slightly lower than I expected (though of course I never expected high marks). If this at least turns out like that first one for me then I'll be happy enough.

EDIT: I downloaded an extension called Heirloom Rotten Tomatoes which takes your movie ratings and compares them to RT critics, which then makes a list with critics most like you at the top and least like you at the bottom. It also adjusts the RT score to more heavily favor critics with similar taste to you.
It predicts that I will very much dislike Power Rangers, and most of the positive reviews lie on the side of critics I disagree with. Ouch. But it's just an app, I'll see for myself on saturday!

I've spent the last several days asking myself, "Why the hell do I want to see this?"

You and me both.
Because Power Rangers. They've got kids who grew up in the 90s by the balls and no amount of logic and reasonable doubt will save us.

The lack of color coded ties is bothering me.

David Yost putting in the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom