• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Power Rangers (2017) review is here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie had nowhere to go but up. I feel secondhand embarrassment for adults who like any version of this show. I let my kids watch pretty much anything, but I make sure to tell them, if I ever catch them watching it, how terrible MMPR is.

I was 10 when the show debuted and, after being hyped on commercials, have never been so disappointed in anything in my entire life, Indy 4, Episode 1, and Street Fighter IV included.

ow the edge

Delio

This movie had nowhere to go but up. I feel secondhand embarrassment for adults who like any version of this show. I let my kids watch pretty much anything, but I make sure to tell them, if I ever catch them watching it, how terrible MMPR is.

I was 10 when the show debuted and, after being hyped on commercials, have never been so disappointed in anything in my entire life, Indy 4, Episode 1, and Street Fighter IV included.

Im glad as an adult that secondhand embarrassment doesn't bother me.

wwm0nkey

Or let them just watch it? My uncle always said how bad Godzilla was when I was growing up and watching it over my cousins house and it annoyed the hell out of me / made me a bit sad when I was a kid, can't imagine if that was coming from my dad. Luckily I stuck with it and just like the things I like, no shame in that.

welp....power rangers is actually good and beauty & the beast is bad...

we are definitely living in a post-trump world where black is white and the sun rise from the north.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/re...-lin-rj-cyler-becky-g-naomi-scott-1201794992/

Review: ‘Power Rangers’ Is A Mega-Budget Reboot That’s Embarrassed Of The TV Show It’s Based On

C-
Jason Scott (the mannequin-like Dacre Montgomery, who aspires to Charlie Hunnam’s level of lifelessness)
...this would hardly seem like a Power Rangers movie at all; even the iconic, color-coded spandex suits have been turned into hard plastic nonsense that looks so dumb and lifeless that Zack Snyder might as well steal it for “Justice League.”
Damn.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
ow the edge

Nothing edgy about what I said. If my kids want to watch a show with fighting or ninjas, etc, there are a million different options which don't feature plastic monsters pantomiming in odd, totally awkward ways, as well as "martial arts" straight out of an elementary playground recess. This shit is just bad on all levels and insults their intelligence with plotlines, special effects, acting, and fighting more simplistic than even bad kids deserve.

EDIT: I will note that I am totally for them seeing this movie, since all the tackiness and poor quality seems to have been left behind. They are excited for it, and so we will probably catch it on a Saturday morning on the cheap.

LaNaranja

All of the trailers have been super hype so I am going to make time to see it opening weekend regardless.

Also Elizabeth Banks totally looks 16 and should have played the yellow or pink ranger.

Chumley

Banned
Nothing edgy about what I said. If my kids want to watch a show with fighting or ninjas, etc, there are a million different options which don't feature plastic monsters pantomiming in odd, totally awkward ways, as well as "martial arts" straight out of an elementary playground recess. This shit is just bad on all levels and insults their intelligence with plotlines, special effects, acting, and fighting more simplistic than even bad kids deserve.

I agree. It's bottom of the barrel junk food kids entertainment, there's a million other shows out there for children to watch.

EDIT: I will note that I am totally for them seeing this movie, since all the tackiness and poor quality seems to have been left behind. They are excited for it, and so we will probably catch it on a Saturday morning on the cheap.

Let's not pretend that you're above bad cheese since you named yourself AlteredBeast lol

Weetrick

I agree. It's bottom of the barrel junk food kids entertainment, there's a million other shows out there for children to watch.

Yup, when I have kids they will only watch/read/play things that fit my standard of quality. Wouldn't want them to grow up and secondhand embarrass anyone after all.

im sure there were a million other things that you could have watched as well when you first saw power rangers decades ago. but alas, you need to forcefeed your future children entertainment that only you deem worthy of their time

wwm0nkey

Maybe they might get into seeing super cheesy stuff though? Like I said I LOVED Godzilla growing up and I loved power rangers for the giant robot fights, I knew it was pure cheese, but God damn was it fun to watch. Your kids, so your rules, but they may not be looking for deep plots or anything like that like you are

Chumley

Banned
im sure there were a million other things that you could have watched as well when you first saw power rangers decades ago. but alas, you need to forcefeed your future children entertainment that only you deem worthy of their time

The ability to choose what you watch straight up didn't exist for me in the early 90's. We had a few channels and my parents worked. They put on Saturday morning cartoons and that was it. I liked basically every show that was on, be it X-Men or Batman or Spiderman or MMPR.

If I have kids I'd absolutely show them stuff like Batman TAS though.

Well, I'm glad I don't give much of a shit what anyone thinks to like what I like as a grown adult. I like cheesy tokusatsu.

*goes to watch the latest episode of Uchu Sentai Kyuranger*

vareon

I feel the secondhand embarrassment of a parent trying to force the kid's taste.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Honestly all this Power ranger hype is making me wanna watch Akibaranger instead.

...I might say fucki it and catch the movie nonetheless

Nerdkiller

Membeur

dvRc1gQ.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

I tried for years and finally succeeded in my kids choosing Batman TAS. I about wept big tears seeing that. :)

You guys may not like it, but my kids like classical music, watching Fantasia, playing the piano, building structures with LEGO, painting and coloring, playing ball in the yard and at the park. We give them a little TV time every day, but they may as well devote it to deeper endeavors.

Studies show the more active a parent is in their children's extracurricular pursuits, the more successful they will be in life. I don't give a shit if my kids are rich when they get older, but they will definitely get a childhood and adolescence full of life experiences and the opportunity for mental and physical growth. With how little TV they watch, they might as well get something out of it instead of brain junk food.

wwm0nkey

I tried for years and finally succeeded in my kids choosing Batman TAS. I about wept big tears seeing that. :)

You guys may not like it, but my kids like classical music, watching Fantasia, playing the piano, building structures with LEGO, painting and coloring, playing ball in the yard and at the park. We give them a little TV time every day, but they may as well devote it to deeper endeavors.

Studies show the more active a parent is in their children's extracurricular pursuits, the more successful they will be in life. I don't give a shit if my kids are rich when they get older, but they will definitely get a childhood and adolescence full of life experiences and the opportunity for mental and physical growth. With how little TV they watch, they might as well get something out of it instead of brain junk food.
As long as they are doing what they like, I have no issue, but that's not how your initial comments came off as.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Me a few days ago: Meh, I guess I'll watch it when it comes out on Bluray.

Me now:
obELbyV.png
THE SIGNAL IS CALLING
obELbyV.png
OUR PLANET IS FALLING
obELbyV.png
THE DANGER WILL TEST YOU
obELbyV.png
BETTER MAKE IT A LIGHTSPEED RESCUE
obELbyV.png

Weetrick

Me now:
obELbyV.png
THE SIGNAL IS CALLING
obELbyV.png
OUR PLANET IS FALLING
obELbyV.png
THE DANGER WILL TEST YOU
obELbyV.png
obELbyV.png

lol the Twitch marathon
marketing campaign
is working!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Me now:
obELbyV.png
THE SIGNAL IS CALLING
obELbyV.png
OUR PLANET IS FALLING
obELbyV.png
THE DANGER WILL TEST YOU
obELbyV.png
obELbyV.png
If there's one thing Power Ranger was always genuinely great at, it was the theme songs.

I have always felt like this movie should be as adult as possible, solely because people like me used to watch it as a kid... I loved Power Rangers as a kid, but looking back with grown up eyes.. It isn't the same. But the nostalgia, and idea of having a show grow as you age, has always enticed me. For a time, back in the early 2000's, PR was going that route.

It of course has went back to the light hearted execution it started with, even more so than the 90's era version. But this movie is a chance to have something with a bit more edge and familiarity in concepts than ripping straight from the source.

Amalthea

Banned
Let's not pretend that you're above bad cheese since you named yourself AlteredBeast lol
One is a 20+ years old, 1-dimensional franchise of dumb punching and kicking weird monsters while transforming into an animal-based superhero.

The other is a 20+ years old, 1-dimensional franchise of dumb punching and kicking weird monsters while transforming into animal-based superheroes.

Ithil

I have always felt like this movie should be as adult as possible, solely because people like me used to watch it as a kid... I loved Power Rangers as a kid, but looking back with grown up eyes.. It isn't the same. But the nostalgia, and idea of having a show grow as you age, has always enticed me. For a time, back in the early 2000's, PR was going that route.

It of course has went back to the light hearted execution it started with, even more so than the 90's era version. But this movie is a chance to have something with a bit more edge and familiarity in concepts than ripping straight from the source.

I feel the exact opposite. You can be light hearted and wacky as PR is for a film while updating it to not be as cheaply made/acted/written, and have a stronger plot.
If anything I think trying to be "adult" just makes it pointless as an adaptation, you might as well have made something else with another name.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This guy always gives action movies bad reviews (Civil War, Star Wars) so he can go sniff a fart.

I'm sure this isn't an amazing movie. But this review is absolutely embarrassing.

In some respects, this is an admirably diverse group of characters, a fact that ”Power Rangers" emphasizes from time to time, either by digging a bit deeper into their respective cultures or by having an alien machine size them up by exclaiming ”Different color, different kids, different color kids!" In other respects, there are some glaring gaps in representation, and these omissions are made all the more pronounced by the film's overt focus on inclusiveness. Maybe Muslim kids, Jewish kids, queer kids, or anyone else who doesn't see themselves on screen can hold out hope for the sequel — more likely, they'll come to think of their absence as a blessing in disguise.

Seriously? THIS is the movie you go after for diversity? Jesus Christ.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm sure this isn't an amazing movie. But this review is absolutely embarrassing.

Seriously? THIS is the movie you go after for diversity? Jesus Christ.

The cast is a white guy, half white and black girl, an asian guy, a black guy and a Mexican girl.

Like, how do you get more diverse? lol

[edit]

I mean, there's only 5 Rangers to work with and they're all of different genders and ethnicities.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The cast is a white guy, half white and black girl, an asian guy, a black guy and a Mexican girl.

Like, how do you get more diverse? lol

[edit]

I mean, there's only 5 Rangers to work with and they're all of different genders and ethnicities.
There could be like 15 Rangers. Hollywood is not making a muslim superhero.

Do you even know anything about parenting? What a ridiculous comment. Part of your job as a parent is making choices for your children.

Not on what kids television they should be watching though.

Edit: Not to say you can't, I just don't see the point.

Illucio

Banned
Mhmm. I was really looking forward to this movie whether it was good or bad just because it was Power Rangers. I'm actually shocked it's not terrible, but I'll wait for more reviews before determining that. I want to see this Thursday for sure.

hirokazu

No self-respecting Power Rangers fan is still deciding whether they'll watch this or not. Who gives a shit if it's bad, the point is we'll find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom