• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

i've only seen anime thriller bark and i hate it lol

maybe i'll read it but idk if it will help

Only real benefit is the few nicely animated scenes, and the audio stuff like Brookes backstory and some amusing voice acting with like the Negative ghosts, or luffy pushing the zombie back into the ground. The pacing is awful and theres some pretty lazy animation for a lot of it, though thats not specific to that arc. Such a great manga deserved better than Toei.

Compbros

IzdZao0.jpg

GOAT

I have that actual newspaper signed by many of the Voice Actors of the English dub.

Only real benefit is the few nicely animated scenes, and the audio stuff like Brookes backstory and some amusing voice acting with like the Negative ghosts, or luffy pushing the zombie back into the ground. The pacing is awful and theres some pretty lazy animation for a lot of it, though thats not specific to that arc. Such a great manga deserved better than Toei.
The anime wasn't even all that bad in the beginning but Toei gonna Toei though.
I tried watching one of the current episodes the other day and just could not stomach it.

Compbros

I've never heard of this comic. Is it a comedy?

The easiest category would be it's an adventure comic. It has one the best built worlds in the history of fiction and has tackled many topics including slavery, racism, classism, genocide, matricide, cannibalism, prejudice, child abuse, death, etc all while keeping an overall lighthearted and whimsical tone. To me there are very, very few things I would consider a Masterpiece and One Piece is one of those things.

I recently saw the Strong World movie, really fantastic! So many of these "long shonen series movies" are just disposable and forgettable, but this was so stylish and high quality. Great animation, music, action.

This moment near the end...

maxresdefault.jpg

Chills!

LotusHD

Banned
I recently saw the Strong World movie, really fantastic! So many of these "long shonen series movies" are just disposable and forgettable, but this was so stylish and high quality. Great animation, music, action.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chills!

It's the cast man, you can watch the Straw Hats in pretty much any setting, and they'll always entertain you lol

Compbros

It's the cast man, you can watch the Straw Hats in pretty much any setting, and they'll always entertain you lol

That's part of why I think filler arcs in One Piece are not only mostly tolerable but actually good at times. The characters are just so fantastic that you can dump them into almost any situation and get B- material. The arc where everyone forgets they're a crew except Robin is a filler arc I actively seek out and have rewatched several times dubbed and subbed. A lot of times Brooke has felt like he's spinning wheels character that will crack a joke or two but mostly in the background but the Whole Cake island arc Brooke has had two of the most important moments in the entire arc and has been incredible from start to now.

caliph95

maxresdefault.jpg

Chills!
Gold is the better film honestly and is the best of the three
Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QTwM_lcURq8/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Straw-Hats-Black-Costume-One-Piece-Film-Gold-810x491.jpg[/IMG]

LotusHD

Banned
That's part of why I think filler arcs in One Piece are not only mostly tolerable but actually good at times. The characters are just so fantastic that you can dump them into almost any situation and get B- material. The arc where everyone forgets they're a crew except Robin is a filler arc I actively seek out and have rewatched several times dubbed and subbed. A lot of times Brooke has felt like he's spinning wheels character that will crack a joke or two but mostly in the background but the Whole Cake island arc Brooke has had two of the most important moments in the entire arc and has been incredible from start to now.

Yup, OP is the only thing I don't mind watching filler for.

Gold is the better film honestly and is the best of the three
Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QTwM_lcURq8/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Straw-Hats-Black-Costume-One-Piece-Film-Gold-810x491.jpg[/IMG]

Gold for me is the best because not only was it just a fun time in addition to being the usual where Luffy goes and saves the day, but it's the first movie where you could see the setting being a part of an actual arc in the manga. Imagine, going to the world's richest person's ship, a safe space where pirates and navy don't antagonize each other and just enjoy themselves. So much potential there...

Is there romance yet?

I dropped the series like a couple years ago or so.

I felt like OP is missing something and it's romance.

caliph95

Yup, OP is the only thing I don't mind watching filler for.

Gold for me is the best because not only was it just a fun time in addition to being the usual where Luffy goes and saves the day, but it's the first movie where you could see the setting being a part of an actual arc in the manga. Imagine, going to the world's richest person's ship, a safe space where pirates and navy don't antagonize each other and just enjoy themselves. So much potential there...
Tbf the Oda trilogy Strong World, Z, Gold is sorta canon from what i heard or at least the characters like Z and Shiki are canon though yeah Gold is the only one that could legitimately happen in between arcs

LotusHD

Banned
Tbf the Oda trilogy Strong World, Z, Gold is sorta canon from what i heard or at least the characters like Z and Shiki are canon though yeah Gold is the only one that could legitimately happen in between arcs

Yea the characters are canon, the movies not so much. I dunno about Tesoro being canon though, is he?

Lucci probably also has Haki now, but we need confirmation I suppose...

RobbieNick

I just wish it wasn't so long. I feel like it's impossible for a newcomer to get invested.

I started only three years ago watching the dubbed anime with some friends and we're already up to date on the dubs all the way to episode 528.

I want to watch the subs and catch up and my friends are like "Nooo! We can watch and discuss them together this way!"

LaNaranja

I'm also sick of Oda's continued insistence on splitting up the SHP wherever they go. What made One Piece so great was the totality of the crew adventuring together.

I am totally there with you. Like holy shit, the entire crew has not been together since they arrived at Dressrosa and that was four years ago.

Honestly the length of One Piece is one of the things I loved most about it, initially when I was about to start i was worried like everyone else but when I finally did get invested so in love was i with the series that I was happy to see I had 100s of episodes left and when I finally caught up I was devastated that I now had to wait weekly

SilentRob

arguments aside, it's the best piece of fiction I've ever read.

come at me.

tenor.gif
Now that's quite a statement. I really like One Piece. I love Anime! But you should absolutely try to broaden your horizon a little bit if that statement is actually true.

Edited for less douchey phrasing on my part ;)

Grudy

I completely lost interest in the series during the Dresrosa arc but I'm happy it's doing do well. The first half of the series is a treasure of fun rumpus entertainment that somehow lost its way for me after the time skip. All that haki shit needs to be revamped or something.

Is there romance yet?

The last thing this series needs is serious romance between characters.

Although as others have pointed out, it has arguably the greatest sense of romance in the traditional meaning of the word that you'll find in most adventure stories.

One Piece is also really funny which shouldn't be a big deal, but other shounen like Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter and Gintama are really bad at it.

Ninjimbo

Is there romance yet?

I feel like this a little bit. I keep thinking it's going to happen despite what Oda has said in the past about it being a boys manga. I guess I'm hoping Pudding and Sanji become a sort of thing after this arc.

Don't know if it would happen since Pudding is insane, but, not gonna lie, the moment they had at the wedding was pretty fucking sweet. I want more of it.

Ray Down

Banned

Not yet, give it time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chills!

Nami isn't in that shot, that must be from the teaser before the movie got delayed.

Is there romance yet?

No, there no serious real romance.

Baby 5 and Sai is the closest to a "serious" romance recently.

Unless you want to count Pudding and Sanji

OP is better without serious romance, because Oda just isn't interested and I rather him right stuff he's passionate about.

The last thing this series needs is serious romance between characters.

Although as others have pointed out, it has arguably the greatest sense of romance in the traditional meaning of the word that you'll find in most adventure stories.

Adventure games s the biggest romance in the series.

Though there little romance sparkled though the series.

I feel like this a little bit. I keep thinking it's going to happen despite what Oda has said in the past about it being a boys manga. I guess I'm hoping Pudding and Sanji become a sort of thing after this arc.

Don't know if it would happen since Pudding is insane, but, not gonna lie, the moment they had at the wedding was pretty fucking sweet. I want more of it.

They really can't become a thing since that will change Sanji dynamic to much.

Promise to get together later, sure.

dan2026

The fact they fucked up so badly when bringing One Piece to America blows my mind somewhat.

Literally just burning a pile of cash.

Ray Down

Banned
The fact they fucked up so badly when bringing One Piece to America blows my mind somewhat.

Literally just burning a pile of cash.
4 Kids bought the right as some kind of package deal and really didn't know what they had or clearly what they were doing.

If only it had a better international debut. I know Oda is jokingly mad at Kishimoto having international success with Naruto.

LotusHD

Banned
I completely lost interest in the series during the Dresrosa arc but I'm happy it's doing do well. The first half of the series is a treasure of fun rumpus entertainment that somehow lost its way for me after the time skip. All that haki shit needs to be revamped or something.

Revamped how lol

Ray Down

Banned
Best part of Dressrosa was a musical piece. Not sure if Sanji was listening though. :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBsy9M8FHE

In the early days someone asked Oda if Nami loves Luffy or Zoro and he said that's not the demographic he's going for and wanted to keep things platonic or something like that.

"Of course they're in love... WITH ADVENTURE!"

Sanji to busy staring at twins.

He also said something along the lines as no romance among the Straw Hats but I got to go find the quote.

Grudy

Revamped how lol

Yeah it's probably too late for any actual meaningful changes like from pre to post time skip (because I remember that not all things shown during the war arc are consistent with how haki was shown to work post time skip) but I only meant to phrase my disdain for it.

Still, I could listen to a radio drama with the japanese One Piece voice actors. They really bring the show to life.

Top Bottom