• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Announcement Trailer | PS4

HOLY SHIT! This game is pure shite, but I'm glad this is coming out for prosperity's sake.

I noticed on the screenshots of the game that the icons of the different rooms seem to be actual footage thumbnails instead of simple sprites. That might actually make the game somewhat playable.

Lol, what the fuck.

Kind of a genius move actually, probably a lot of people (relatively speaking) will want to buy this for a good laugh.
Can't wait for the giantbomb quicklook. Or endurance run. Come on, Vinny!

Now's the perfect time for all you youngsters out there to experience a critical piece of video game history.

I'm getting the 32X-flavored physical copy.

Ah fuck it, I'll do it myself. :p

Fgp1oYj.gif

You win the thread.

itf56

I've not thought about this game in 20 years but wasn't it a massive bag of shite?

I mean if you're going to remake a dreadful FMV game shouldn't it be Ripper with Christoper Walken?

Wow very random, wasn't expecting this. It will be interesting to see how it holds up these day, I'm guessing they have cleaned up all the video footage / remastered for 1080p so it doesn't look like total ass on modern TV's.

I've not thought about this game in 20 years but wasn't it a massive bag of shite?

I mean if you're going to remake a dreadful FMV game shouldn't it be Ripper with Christoper Walken?

I think they've done the right one, there is quite a bit of history behind Night Trap, it's the clear choice really.

I'm surprised this isn't a multi-plat. It seems like something that would really want to be on as many systems as possible and needs every sale it could possibly get.

GuyKazama

HOLY SHIT! This game is pure shite, but I'm glad this is coming out for prosperity's sake.

I noticed on the screenshots of the game that the icons of the different rooms seem to be actual footage thumbnails instead of simple sprites. That might actually make the game somewhat playable.

This should be the most exciting aspect of the remake. I hope I can play it now without a faq in hand.

border

It looks like this will be a fun companion purchase for owners of Until Dawn.

Have they remastered the video in HD, or just cleaned it up a bit? Quality still looks kinda crummy. I assume it wasn't show on celluloid film, so it may be stuck at SD resolution forvever.

Platy

That was a PRETTY GOOD remaster of the footage !

"I can't wait to look at how bad is the makeup of the villains up close" pretty good remaster of the footage

You know, I think there could be a market for those old "so bad, it's good" FMV games. The price would obviously have to be right. But they're generally pretty easy to play and unbelievably funny.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will there be a mode with originally crappy dithered video?

The quality looks pretty good - did sega keep the original footage archived in a decent format?

itf56

You know, I think there could be a market for those old "so bad, it's good" FMV games. The price would obviously have to be right. But they're generally pretty easy to play and unbelievably funny.

Oh god but they were rubbish. I had a few of them - Ripper, Daedalus Encounter, 7th Guest / 11th Hour etc... it was just about the advent of the CD-ROM drive and the novelty of being able to do fully voiced adventure games and long video clips.

I'm down for this. So much great fan service, remakes and other historical oddities are coming out this gen. I'm not into all of them, but I love the trend. I'll probably get the physical copy of this one.

It was never really that salacious to begin with, that stuff was just hyperbole blown up by people like Lieberman because the FMV was too real for them to handle. In a way I'm glad this re-release is happening as people can see it for what it really is, a bad, kinda boring game, rather than the myth it has been built up to be over he last 20 years.

I don't think there's ever been a myth. Pretty sure everyone knows this a really bad game. It was just playing with new (at the time) tech in the CD ROM "interactive" era.

netguy503

Oh god but they were rubbish. I had a few of them - Ripper, Daedalus Encounter, 7th Guest / 11th Hour etc... it was just about the advent of the CD-ROM drive and the novelty of being able to do fully voiced adventure games and long video clips.

I would KILL for a 7th Guest/ 11th Hour collection on PS4.

As well as a Gabriel Knight/ Tex Murphy collection.

itf56

I don't think there's ever been a myth. Pretty sure everyone knows this a really bad game. It was just playing with new (at the time) tech in the CD ROM "interactive" era.

In the UK at least I think the tabloid press got their knickers in a twist about it.

Blimey, Under A Killing Moon. There's a blast from the past. The 7th Guest kickstarter did poorly so I wouldn't hold your breath.

You can get Under A Killing Moon and the rest of the Tex Murphy FMV games on GOG, including the new one released a few years ago. :)

It looks like this will be a fun companion purchase for owners of Until Dawn.

Have they remastered the video in HD, or just cleaned it up a bit? Quality still looks kinda crummy. I assume it wasn't show on celluloid film, so it may be stuck at SD resolution forvever.

The footage looks like it was obviously shot on video so 720x480 max.

Top Bottom