• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing BotW feels like my first real next gen experience. What was your own?

I wouldn't say "next gen" since generations are becoming a bit muddied in definition. What's possible on Switch was already possible on PS4/Xbox One/PS3/360. I'd probably say BotW was one of the first games since the release of the current gen consoles where I felt that there was a substantial leap forward so in essence I'm basically agreeing with you. I felt the same about the Witcher 3 and its narrative/characters/quests.

Teletraan1

Banned
The performance issues that plagued BotW on WiiU really knocked it down for me. When I first started playing I felt that sense of wonder that I usually get when playing something special, that feeling the OP is referring to. I really appreciated Nintendo's take on open world and game play systems. As I kept playing the performance was just sucking the enjoyment of the game out of me and things that I didn't like about the game that I could have otherwise overlooked started to really bother me. Lack of traditional dungeons, paper thin story and poor storytelling, weapon degradation and inventory management, shrines become boring after a while. I really wish I wasn't as bothered by the performance but it is what it is.

kswiston

It's completely understandable, especially for enthusiasts who've undoubtedly been around for long enough that the newness of next gen releases becomes slightly dulled.

I'd imagine it you showed the Switch to a Grandparent who hadn't taken notice of video games for a few decades they would be quite amazed at the tech and get a similar feeling to the one I describe.

If we could separate ourselves from the equation, I'm sure there are many moments like this over the years that would justify the response. As this has been our hobby for a while, I think we're definitely a little numb to it these things.

We're not talking about relative technical comparisons here, and even then I think we'd have ample room for debate.

I guess so. I don't have a Switch, but from a handheld POV, having that on the go is pretty impressive if you are jumping from the 3DS (or even the Vita).

Zakalwe

Banned
I guess so. I don't have a Switch, but from a handheld POV, having that on the go is pretty impressive if you are jumping from the 3DS (or even the Vita).

I'm jumping from the iPad and original DS personally, so I've probably had enough time away from the handheld space foe this feeling to be more accessible.

I'd imagine those who've stayed abreast of handheld releases would be far less easy to effect.

Winthorpe

Banned
My generational leaps, in terms of being overwhelmed by a game, would probably be in the following order: Mario 3, Contra Spirits, Ocarina of Time, Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft.

Nothing this gen feels like it has made that sort of leap yet, or changed the way we game. BoTW comes closest.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I missed that the post was asking about all generations. My bad.

In that case, it's an easy pick. Super Mario 64.

That's the only "generational leap" game that's impressed me with gameplay and graphics, and I started gaming with Atari (though not seriously until NES).

I was blown away by being in a fully 3D world with 3D movement after years of 2D gaming.

Nothing else has came close as generational leaps have mostly just been graphical advancements or things like online MP or VR that don't appeal to me much.

I mean there have been steady advances in gameplay in various genres, storytelling, cinematic presentations etc. but those are steady advances not "generational leaps" and it's hard for me to be wowed by slower advances compared to a radical new advance like going 2D to 3D with Super Mario 64.

That's the same reason I said I didn't feel the leap with BOTW. It's just Zelda incorporating a large open world from various games and sandbox type gameplay that's been the rage for years with stuff like Minecraft. It's a great melding of that stuff, but just didn't wow me as there's no "wow!" inspiring leap their and much of what it incorporated that was new to the series is stuff I'm not a huge fan of.

due to limitations (hw), coming from 300x200p (internally upscaled to 720p? or maybe is another game) battlefields on the ps3 to bf4 on the ps4 before the downgrades (weather and shit, because the consoles couldnt keep up with it) it was so fucking amazing. i thought to myself this is next gen.

purely next gen, infamous with all the crazy powers specially neon and video. got that feeling with horizon too the first encounter, when i encountered (by bad luck) a stormbird and thunderjaw

Vanadium

It was good. But I didn't fawn over the game.

- lost of empty space
- shrine grind got old for me. FAST.
- Had some problems getting any consistency on the dodge. I'm good with DS parrying too.
- Combat felt, let's say, clunky AF. I did another full DS3 run the weekend after I finished BotW and the contrast couldn't be more clear.
- Inventory and equipment UI is garbage.
- Animal dungeons felt half-baked for the most part.

It was a solid B for me. But a significant improvement from Skyward Sword.

Zakalwe

Banned
It was good. But I didn't fawn over the game.

- lost of empty space
- shrine grind got old for me. FAST.
- Had some problems getting any consistency on the dodge. I'm good with DS parrying too.
- Combat felt, let's say, clunky AF. I did another full DS3 run the weekend after I finished BotW and the contrast couldn't be more clear.
- Inventory and equipment UI is garbage.
- Animal dungeons felt half-baked for the most part.

It was a solid B for me. But a significant improvement from Skyward Sword.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. ;)

Eblo

Probably Super Mario 64. Not only was it the first 3D platformer I had ever played, but it pulled everything off so naturally and well. It's hard to put into words just how "next gen" that game felt at the time.

Ocarina of Time was another good one but came after, so SM64 wins for me. Breath of the Wild scratched that same itch for me this gen.

watershed

Banned
FF7 felt like I was playing a new benchmark for jrpgs, especially in terms of presentation.

Mario 64 was mind-blowing. I truly felt that videogames had never done this before.

Some early Xbox 360 games impressed me from a graphical perspective.

ME was my first introduction into player choice driven narratives and I loved it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Graphics never give me the next gen feel
I guess most recently is undertale and botw

Not trying to argue with your feelings, but could you please explain how Undertale did this for you?

I've not played it fully, but from what I've played it looks like it would give me some strong nostalgia vibes but I can't see myself how it would give me a "next gen feel".

What about the game do you think caused this?

Arkeband

Banned
Cool man. See ya around.

I asked why you didn't think it was possible, that's a pretty powerful statement. Your post doesn't seem to answer that beyond you finding the game pretty to look at. The particle effects are so crazy that the game seems like a technical impossibility..?

Bloodborne
The Witness
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Since Bloodborne was the first one released and the first one I played, I'll go with that.

Jaruru

Zelda and VR for this gen.
too bad not many games support VR yet

if not limited to this gen, then Mario 64 should be on the list too

The Hermit

Crysis.

Not only it looked gorgeous, it had physics and destructible environment.

It's the most next gen game, even within the feanchise

Then Undertale.

Storytelling masterpiece, with amazing attention to the choices and even when you reset to change those.

Lilo_D

Not trying to argue with your feelings, but could you please explain how Undertale did this for you?

I've not played it fully, but from what I've played it looks like it would give me some strong nostalgia vibes but I can't see myself how it would give me a "next gen feel".

What about the game do you think caused this?

Ok this is my story if you interested

Usually in an RPG no matter in 90s or nowday, you talk to npc and they will reply you the exactly same scripted words based on your choice, it feels like a robot and it's very gamey which is totally fine

In undertale, when I first play the game, at the very beginning, Toriel ask me if I like food A or B, I choose A and then I has some other thing to do, so I quit the game

When I enter the game the second time, I expected the same question from Toriel and Toriel do give me the same question, but this time the game didn't give me the option to choose food A or B, instead of that, Toriel said oh I remember you like food A!

I got goose bump and feel like I play something truly different and next-gen

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok this is my story if you interested

Usually in an RPG no matter in 90s or nowday, you talk to npc and they will reply you the exactly same scripted words based on your choice, it feels like a robot and it's very gamey which is totally fine

In undertale, when I first play the game, at the very beginning, Toriel ask me if I like food A or B, I choose A and then I has some other thing to do, so I quit the game

When I enter the game the second time, I expected the same question from Toriel and Toriel do give me the same question, but this time the game didn't give me the option to choose food A or B, instead of that, Toriel said oh I remember you like food A!

I got goose bump and feel like I play something truly different and next-gen

Makes perfect sense to me. You discovered a mechanic that was entirely new to you and it felt like an advancement on the old formulas. I fully understand how that could have given you this feeling.

Thanks for explaining.

Titanfall for me. Well, actually a bit of a return of the 6dof shooter.

First post wins. Back when this gen launched, I couldn't believe how amazed I was playing it.

Edit: this is of course if we are speaking about current gen. I remember playing some games on N64 that were mind-boggling at the time.

SomTervo

Dying Light for me.

Fun and responsive gameplay, insane graphics, a really dynamic and interesting open world, the fact they injected complete parkour and climbing verticality (ala Mirror's Edge) right into the mundane DNA of Dead Island, lots of fantastic looking interiors as well as the well designed exterior. The first FPS where you can see almost any building, run up to it, and scale it, hop through a window, kick in a zombie, get chased out the other side of the building, hop down to street level, etc...

Like, when the sun falls, the sheer darkness of the city when it begins looking like an open world Silent Hill 2, when the dynamic AI begins chasing you and you lose it, barely surviving, still doing missions with the stat buffs... Absolutely insane.

Then later that year I had The Witcher 3, Batman: AK, MGSV... 2015 was the year of 'next gen' for me.

Zakalwe

Banned
First post wins. Back when this gen launched, I couldn't believe how amazed I was playing it.

Edit: this is of course if we are speaking about current gen. I remember playing some games on N64 that were mind-boggling at the time.

We're talking about any gen, yeh.

Titanfall is a good call for sure. I definitely remember getting next-gen vibes from it, but it wasn't quite as pronounced as with BotW.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Star Wars Battlefront

First time since maybe the original Crysis on PC that I went literally went holy fucking shit at these graphics.

I will also fully admit that yes it being Star Wars and me being a huge fan played a big part. Might still be thest looking current gen console game I own.

Onward on my Oculus Rift. It's like a slower paced Counterstrike in virtual reality where you use your motion controls to have actual interaction with your weapons/tactical devices, e.g. aiming down your sights, reloading, cocking, changing fire modes, grabbing and throwing grenades etc. That mixed with the fact that it makes you feel like your there, shit feels next level. The graphics aren't that great (it was developed by a single guy for a while) but in VR it's hard to tell because of the added dimension. Incredible stuff.

eliochip

Honestly nothing comes to mind. I haven't tried VR yet so theres always that.

BotW is definitely one of my favorite games ever but not because it did anything particularly new. It was just really good

The headphone jack in the Dualshock 4 controller and its audio quality actually being good. It's such an insanely useful feature.

Similarly, my "this is next-gen" experience of the previous generation was the wireless Dualshock 3 controller and being able to turn the console an and off without standing up and pressing the console's powerbutton.

Lilo_D

Makes perfect sense to me. You discovered a mechanic that was entirely new to you and it felt like an advancement on the old formulas. I fully understand how that could have given you this feeling.

Thanks for explaining.

It's just for me, I never got next-gen feeling from graphics or story or movie-like CG stuff
It's always about new mechanic or different implementation

I don't think I've had it since playing my first PS3 game tbh, which was inFamous. Going straight from PS2 games to that was a pretty cool experience.
Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely loving current gen but I haven't yet played a game that felt like some big leap forwards - the last couple years of last gen brought some amazing games after all, not to mention the brilliant cross-gen games we've had

Maybe it'll be Shadow of Mordor when I get around to playing it, the nemesis system seems really interesting.

00ich

Crysis.

Not only it looked gorgeous, it had physics and destructible environment.

It's the most next gen game, even within the feanchise

I 1-old you and add the original FarCry on PC.
The Fort Demo especially. A vast tropical beach, a realistically looking jungle, vehicles you could steal and branching paths across a huge level area. It also looked better indoors than any title at the time.
The Ai would try to flank and search for you. You could listen in on the guards talking nonsense while they patroled the island.

All of that before Halo 2, Half-Life2 and Doom 3.

Haven't found any revolutionary but bloodborne was the first game that justified me purchasing the ps4. Maybe witcher 3 simply because it was a open world game that didn't feel poorly made or littered with pointless sidequests.

Super Mario 64 was the first time I was just dumbstruck by "next-gen". 3D, analog control, all that jazz...it was just a paradigm shift for me. It's not that I hadn't played 3D games in arcades or on PCs prior - it was just that 3D gaming arrived intuitively for me at that point, trying out Mario 64 on a Toys 'R Us kiosk in 1996.

The next time I felt that was in 1999 watching Sonic Adventure 1, with Sonic running into the screen and that whale destroying the dock. Sonic moved eye-meltingly fast, and the graphics were like...1,000x better than whatever existed in consoles or arcade machines then. That was a paradigm shift for me too.

Every generation or PC hardware upgrade has always had that "whoa" moment of better graphics and whathaveyou, but those are the two times I can remember being legit blown away.

That neon power in Infamous SS was pretty amazing. Plus just how the world looked. The more nuanced geometry. That game is pretty

Fighting a giant thunderjaw in real time without QTE's.

Fighting bosses on Bloodborne and realizing the dodges are fully animated. The iframes are actually my character dodging under attacked. Seeing screenshots of my Cain whip and seeing every detail of the blades on the whip.

Size and scope of Breath of the Wild is definitely up there. Running around empty grass fields adds a sense of place that I haven't experienced before.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's just for me, I never got next-gen feeling from graphics or story or movie-like CG stuff
It's always about new mechanic or different implementation

Right, it's why examples like MGSV and Titanfall make sense to me. They're games that pushed innovations in gameplay, and/or refined gameplay to a point that it truly felt like a leap forward.

Now I want to play Undertale too...

Picked up a ps4 and battlefield 4 right after launch and man, was I blown away. Going to from 24 to 64 player MP servers was amazing.

The people praising it are those who care about art design way more than graphics. I.e. Nintendo fans as it's been a long time since Nintendo has had hardware to put out technically impressive graphics, but they excel at art design (if their designs fit your tastes anyway).

Oh I agree Nintendo games have always excelled in art design. I just can't help but imagine what a BOTW would look like if using say the same engine as Horizon Zero Dawn. Game would be crazy!!!

SomTervo

Onward on my Oculus Rift. It's like a slower paced Counterstrike in virtual reality where you use your motion controls to have actual interaction with your weapons/tactical devices, e.g. aiming down your sights, reloading, cocking, changing fire modes, grabbing and throwing grenades etc. That mixed with the fact that it makes you feel like your there, shit feels next level. The graphics aren't that great (it was developed by a single guy for a while) but in VR it's hard to tell because of the added dimension. Incredible stuff.

I honestly prefer Pavlov VR - you tried that?

Believe it or not, it was Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One.

Open World, thousands of zombies on screen without any lag, and I could see the pores and small details on character's faces clearly.

I think Destiny was also a defining moment for me when it comes to experiencing this current gen.

Calibos

Probably.

The Witcher 3
Battlefront
MGSV

Does Zelda go from an 8 to GOAT just because it's Zelda? Does it stand up to the Witcher in polish, content and feels? I am really wanting to play it, but the need for a switch has faded and my PC runs the emulation at 12-20 fps so I am just curious...is it really the most amazing experience ever or can I let the need for it die?

Top Bottom