• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

BizzyBum

pretty much this.

nintendo fans seem to dislike options. backward thinking imo

I'm not opposed to them. But as I'm playing a game like BOTW I also don't say to myself, "Damn, this game is awesome, but I really wish I just got an achievement for that!"

It's the people who avoid a game like BOTW simply because it doesn't have achievements that truly dumbfounds me.

Cathcart

Fuck no. If I ever invent a time machine stopping the guy who invented cheevos is right behind stopping Hitler on the to do list.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think his questions makes perfect sense, actually... OP needs something that is completely inconsequential to be implemented otherwise it interferes with his ability to enjoy something. There is quite literally something wrong with him if he's that dependent on trophies that it ruins everything that lacks them for him.
The OP didnt say anything about needing this to enjoy the game. The OP only talked about that the game would be even better for him/her having such challenges added to the game.

Dsyndrome

I think his questions makes perfect sense, actually... OP needs something that is completely inconsequential to be implemented otherwise it interferes with his ability to enjoy something. There is quite literally something wrong with him if he's that dependent on trophies that it ruins everything that lacks them for him.

Really. There is something wrong with the OP because he'd like achievements. Tell me more.

As there's a lot of folks (myself included) who'd like to see Nintendo implement an achievement system, we all must be fucked in the head.

That's not what the OP said. He said he'd enjoy it BETTER if it had trophies and stated why.

It's inconsequential to you and me, but not to him.

jariw

Bad achievements are bad, standard "complete mission X" ones seem pointless. But gameplay focused ones that push you to try weird or new ideas are great.

But what is a weird idea in BotW? Since people find new weird ways to solve problems all the time in BotW, hardcoding requirements to what's weird would just work against the sandbox design of the game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Fuck no. If I ever invent a time machine stopping the guy who invented cheevos is right behind stopping Hitler on the to do list.
Challenges in games have existed for a long time. Why would stopping gaming related things that people enjoy, and things that are completely optional and things you can ignore, be so high on your agenda? I know its extreme hyperbole, but when being compared such strongly, i think its warrant a question :p

Z..

I don't get the resistance to trophies/achievements. They're there for those that want them, and can also be ignored (notifications turned off) for those that don't. They don't make the game worse for those that dislike them, but increase enjoyment in games for those that want them. And it's not like they affect game design.

Nothing against them personally but if people are this dependent on them in order to enjoy stuff I'm starting to think they may indeed be problematic. -.-'

Richie

BOTW literally shits over the notion of rewarding you for doing menial tasks. That Korok seeds reward is hysterical.

I mean they're nice to have. I myself would like their inclusion. But there's that, and there's outright ignoring a game because the console doesn't have achievements like some cases here, which strikes me of...

756621.gif

Trying to think of games but I know you can at least turn trophy notifications off on PS4 if you want:

eyy8g8ufb6bilp8gad2d.jpg

I know the notifications can be turned off on PS4, but last time I checked, BotW isn't on PS4 so that doesn't really add anything to the discussion here, bruh.

I don't understand the achievement hate. If you don't care about them then great, don't care. Why not let the folks that do care have it? How does it hurt you that it exists?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I like trophies on every game, not for score but for keeping a log with timestamps so I can go back and see what I was playing years ago

This for me. Nintendo fans lap up the "Activity Log" on 3DS yet hold trophies in such low regard for serving a very similar purpose. I often consider them a sort of gaming resume or journal and I actually wish they adopted some of the features such as play time into the fold. The timestamps and completion percentages especially offer a unique lens into the experience and progression among both friends and from the global audience. I often love paying attention to the 'drop-off' points in various games, there is a ton of data to cull from them. It's a shame how narrow-minded naysayers are to their inclusion.

EhoaVash

=/
again I didn't say that I'm not enjoying the game or that the game is ruined, I absolutely am liking the game. Its my favorite game this year so far behind Resident evil 7, and I can't wait to beat the game when I play later today, its just that I wish there was a trophy system in place, sheesh people

nah there are enough things to achieve. finish all shrines, get all korok seeds, upgrade all armors, take a picture of all enemies, weapons, creatures etc.

FTF

I know the notifications can be turned off on PS4, but last time I checked, BotW isn't on PS4 so that doesn't really add anything to the discussion here, bruh.

What? It's relevant in that if Nintendo did have trophies and a feature to turn off the notifications, it would satisfy both sides of the argument going on in this thread.

I would love for it to have them. I love myself some trophies even though I don't try to platinum games anymore I still enjoy the trophies themselves, and they give you a timestamp of when you did something in the game which I like. I always see myself playing games with trophies over games that don't have them. Probably a huge reason my Nintendo consoles haven't been played much the last few years.

Soroc

The idea of trophy/achievement list goes against the principal of the game imo. Without a list there is no in the box mindset. Instead you are free to discover things on your own without a list to check off. The amount of stuff found in this game on its own without a list is seems astronomical and would go against the the devs "go anywhere, do anything" mindset I think.

For the record, I'm not a trophy/achievement person ( I don't mind them, just don't care to check off boxes like that when I play a game)

mindsale

I'd still be playing it to 100% everything if the game had trophies.

I'm not.

It's a very simple thing that would objectively improve the game's longevity, assuming they paused Trophy acquisition during cutscenes so they didn't cheapen anything with their chimes and pings.

Gosh, these threads always bring out the gaffers who are so vehemently opposed to people who like having an online record of how much progress they've made in games that others can see.

Never understood why people take pleasure in not having it as an option (because you can disable the notifications in any decent modern implementation). It's just another symptom of Nintendo being way behind the curve, and it sucks.

JayBabay

Considering I get OCD with trophies for games and franchises I'm a fan of - it's very relieving that Zelda doesn't have it because this is the only game I've played in years that I can do whatever I want with no set path and still enjoy it for hours. I wouldn't want to feel like I had more of a checklist than what the few quests already provide.

I love how some of you fail to see how achievements, trophies, or any sort of definitive goals outside the norm add longevity to a game. Jesus Christ.

It's not only about marking the little things you do during the game...it's about having post game content to do as well.

Interfectum

Gosh, these threads always bring out the gaffers who are so vehemently opposed to people who like having an online record of how much progress they've made in games that others can see.

Never understood why people take pleasure in not having it as an option (because you can disable the notifications in any decent modern implementation). It's just another symptom of Nintendo being way behind the curve, and it sucks.

Yup.

I would love trophies for games like Zelda to compare with my Switch friends and see how far they've gotten. The rarity feature on other systems is cool too. It gives you a small glimpse of how the overall playerbase is progressing.

mindsale

I love how some of you fail to see how achievements, trophies, or any sort of definitive goals outside the norm add longevity to a game. Jesus Christ.

It's not only about marking the little things you do during the game...it's about having post game content to do as well.

I suspect a lot of people who decry achievements don't own a gaming platform with them.

bs135

How is it not a solution?

Because if I can't turn them off completely the Trophy notification will pop up. I do not want to see them. To me they are absolutely pointless and annoying.

As I said, I'm fine with games having trophies as long as I can turn everything about them off.

idk i just play the games to play them now

i used to be all about these rewards but i think they sorta tie into that checklist system found in many modern open world games... it's only natural to want to see a progress bar fill up, percentages raise, and share that with your online friends. but i think ultimately it can take away from the game itselff. now i just focus on everything the game is showing me & rewarding me with. i don't really need the machine to validate me anymore, playing the games i like is more than enough at this point. especially a game like botw, which is wholly antithetical to this

Comandr

What the hell is up with some of the caustic posts in here?

Trophies add something "tangible" to a lot of accomplishments. It creates an anchor to look back on and remember or share with friends. I don't see how this is so abhorrent. Furthermore, if you simply had the ability to turn them off/turn off notifications, then everyone is happy.

But I don't understand why people act like if they were included it would harm them in some way.

Some people like trophy hunting. If you don't, okay fine, but that's not reason to burn someone at the stake because they do.

Top Bottom