• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

ibzIvMuEdPFGD2.gif

<3

Portugeezer

That would be nice, and only 2 weeks before November which people would have normally expected.

I won't get my hopes up now anyway, only a few months left.

Paganmoon

Doubt it.

Assassin's Creed 4 doesn't launch till October 29th. It's supposedly a launch game.

Still is, launch window, hell if the date is true, it's only a week after, enough time for the early adopters to play with the firstparty titles before going to thirdparty, everyone wins.

I assume most, if not all early adopters will be dedicating lots of game time first few weeks.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
3rd party been ready at launch not really that big a deal it more are 1st party ready. 3rd party next gen games are due week later and during november so no need to move dates

I understand an October launch, just not this early. Timed around BF4 and ACIV would just make a bit more sense to me. What would the retail launch lineup look like at Oct. 21?

Knack
Killzone
Drive Club
Madden 25
Skylanders
FIFA
2 NBA games
Just Dance

Am I missing anything retail-wise?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So they're launching with nothing but Knack, KZS, and Driveclub?

AC4 and BF4 don't drop until the next week.
They'll undoubtedly have some digital only stuff as well. Housemarque seems like they may have their SSHD followup ready for launch, some indie games, maybe a few of the F2P titles in the queue. More than enough to hold people for a week.

pushBAK

Here's some evidence to slightly back that rumor up... In an interview with Jack Tretton after the Sony conference, Jack was asked for a more specific launch date than 'Holiday Season'. Jack mentioned 'October November or December' when responding to to the questions, which seems to me he refers 'Holiday Season' to be three months, rather than Nov/Dec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eVYv6hr-CTs&t=180

Q: A specific launch date for PS4, we heard Holiday Season, but, can you tell us more specific than that.....

A: ...whether you get it in October November or December is somewhat irrelevant...

longbisquit

Neo Member
Decided to keep brother2 for awhile longer. Need that GTA, Batman & TWD season 2 fix. Looking forward to see which 3rd person action game takes my wallet (Assassins Creed 4 or Watch Dogs).

Vire

Still is, launch window, hell if the date is true, it's only a week after, enough time for the early adopters to play with the firstparty titles before going to thirdparty, everyone wins.

I assume most, if not all early adopters will be dedicating lots of game time first few weeks.

I'm sure Ubisoft would be thrilled knowing there game won't be available on the day people go buy the console.

It's not happening.

Battlefield 4 and AC4 are too big.

I understand an October launch, just not this early. Timed around BF4 and ACIV would just make a bit more sense to me. What would the retail launch lineup look like at Oct. 21?

Knack
Killzone
Drive Club
Madden 25
Skylanders
FIFA
2 NBA games
Just Dance

Am I missing anything retail-wise?

I had thought that Drive Club was delayed. Am I mistaken?

Jezbollah

October 21st.

My birthday is the 24th.

Pleaseletitbetruepleaseletitbetrue etc etc.

Would be interesting to see how MS reacts to this.

DaBuddaDa

To win a launch is really quite simple:

1. Be the first out within competing systems.
2. Cost the least within competing systems.
3. Have blockbuster launch titles.

The PS4 is lining up to nail all three.

Midou

Wallet is ready, been saving up for a while, got about a third of it paid off too.

I won't get my hopes up, but I suppose Gamescom will be the next time we are likely to find out.

Late October would be PERFECT. I had pre-ordered AC:IV on 360 and PS4 in case I didn't want to wait too long. But, if they are releasing the PS4 before the game comes out then I only have to buy it once!

Hmm, I kind of hope not; too close to the closing of my home purchase. Would never be able to convince my wife to let me keep my pre-order then.

But if so, so be it! I'll just wait.

mephixto

Banned
I'm sure Ubisoft would be thrilled knowing there game won't be available on the day people go buy the console.

It's not happening.

Battlefield 4 and AC4 are too big.

Mnn they probably happy, by the time those games come out the PS4 should be around 500k or more instead of thetypical 200k at launch. More PS4 more games sold.

casmith07

Additional thoughts:

1. You get it out into the initial hands of preorders/early adopters months ahead of the holidays.

2. Kiosks/demos go out.

3. Market the shit out of it.

4. Black Friday approaches, holidays approach.

5. Enough time to churn out stock for the holiday rush and marketing.

If they can make this happen, they will have nailed it.

Top Bottom