• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donegan's Jeskai Control lost to Heymsfield's G/B Energy because he didn't realize Cast Out couldn't target Hissing Quagmire in time.

He let the animation ability resolve, allowing Rhonas to pump it. If he exiled Rhonas in response to the animation ability, this wouldn't have been possible.

EDIT: Great Voldaren Pariah transformation there by Hawkins, clearing out Spector's board.

EDIT: Wow, that's one cluttered board on Hawkins' side.

I don't read his tumblr at all. He's mentioned it in *numerous* podcasts over the last two years, and has specifically said he's determined to do it. I wasn't making that up, those are the words he used.

I mean, feel free to dig up a citation if you're really certain this is a thing. Meanwhile:

shinygingeous asked: With all the hype behind the vanilla mythic, can you say if it'll be worth the hype/wait?

I haven’t been hyping it. People just seem to love asking questions about it ever since I casually mentioned it in passing.

Maledict

I mean, feel free to dig up a citation if you're really certain this is a thing. Meanwhile:

I'm not going to go digging through every podcast he's ever done to satisfy you... ;-). Like I said though, I don't even read his tumblr unless someone links an article here, and I'm aware of Maro repeatedly talking about it.

Tunoku

Temur Energy Shenanigans against UR Emerge right now. Not sure who to root for, but I'm Temur boy first and an Izzet boy second, so go Temur.

Repgnar

Got to play Sealed Amonkhet last night. Deck didn't have any crazy bombs but I felt like I had a pretty solid curve of white/red creatures and spells. Didn't win any rounds but got a few individual game wins including against the guy that won the Aether Revolt release. Just like the prerelease everyone was helpful and nice.

2nd guy I played had like 2 fan bearers and that Edifice of Authority. Fucked my shit up fam.

Justin

Another newbie question. Can Oracles Vault be used to play multiple lands per turn? Seems like Vizier of the Menagerie can combo really well with the vault.

DrArchon

Got to play Sealed Amonkhet last night. Deck didn't have any crazy bombs but I felt like I had a pretty solid curve of white/red creatures and spells. Didn't win any rounds but got a few individual game wins including against the guy that won the Aether Revolt release. Just like the prerelease everyone was helpful and nice.

2nd guy I played had like 2 fan bearers and that Edifice of Authority. Fucked my shit up fam.

Oh fuck me, that sounds awful. I dealt with each of those separately at pre-release and felt like I was going to tear my hair out. I can't imagine having to have over 3 separate good creatures on the field just to get attacks in.

Justin

The abilities on artifacts like the Vault that don't specify when they can be used are like instants correct? It's my opponents turn. I use Vizier to see the top card of my deck is a counter spell. My opponent casts a creature. I use the Vault to exile the top card of my deck then cast the counter spell. Legal correct?

MoxManiac

The abilities on artifacts like the Vault that don't specify when they can be used are like instants correct? It's my opponents turn. I use Vizier to see the top card of my deck is a counter spell. My opponent casts a creature. I use the Vault to exile the top card of my deck then cast the counter spell. Legal correct?

Yes.

DrArchon

As long as it doesn't say "Activate this ability only when you could use a Sorcery", then you're good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Correct but the card exiled still follows it's own timing restrictions.

It's confusing because some cards like Aetherworks Marvel let you ignore timing restrictions (which happens because casting the spell is part of the resolution of an ability)

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
So is there like a golden rule that only one land can be played per turn and it is never broken. The vault text just says "exile the top card of your library, you may play that card".

Edit: saw you edit with the link. Thanks!

Well it isn't a golden rule but generally, you can only play one land per turn. If a card gives you the option to "put" a land onto the battlefield, it does not count towards that limit.

I'm not going to go digging through every podcast he's ever done to satisfy you... ;-).

I mean, this is why you don't want to go around making claims you can't support. It's pretty ridiculous to make this big case about how a guy is tilting at windmills trying desperately to make this silly thing happen when there's plain text evidence that he just doesn't care about it that much.

bigkrev

Important note: on this weeks DTW pod (Guildpact or 1), at approx 8:34, Maro says the phrase "Sucking off you opponent"

Man, Unhinged 3 would have been WILD

Really late prerelease detailed post. EDIT: By which I mean, this is about last week.

I went 3-2-1 with a B/G deck that I found pretty fun. Though I did lose to color screw a few times, most of my losses were pretty close.

Black cards:
1x Miasmic Mummy - Creature - 1B - Never used it to get a graveyard card into the graveyard, but it was decent.
2x Splendid Agony - Instant - 2B - Good and versatile removal. It was great using it on opposing Exemplar of Strengths and such.
1x Cartouche of Ambition - Enchantment - 2B - This was pretty good, both as removal and for lifelink.
1x Unburden - Sorcery - 1BB - I never actually cast this, I only cycled it.
1x Bone Picker - Creature - 3B - I got the cost reduction a few times, but not on turn 3 or before. This was really useful with the ground getting clogged.
1x Pitiless Vizier - Creature - 3B - I was able to give it indestructible once, and it was otherwise a nice attacker.
1x Archfiend of Ifnir - Creature - 3BB - I never got the cycling trigger, and this usually got killed or exiled before I attacked with it. I had to cycle it a few times due to mana screw.
1x Liliana's Mastery - Enchantment - 3BB - I never got this and Miasmic Mummy out at the same time. Still, two 3/3 zombies were decent enough.
1x Final Reward - Instant - 4B - Only got to cast this once, but it was nice.

Green cards:
1x Exemplar of Strength - Creature - 1G - This guy was a good attacker.
1x Initiate's Companion - Creature - 1G - A better attacker than I expected, and it provided mana acceleration.
2x Cartouche of Strength - Enchantment - 2G - Surprisingly great removal.
1x Defiant Greatmaw - Creature - 2G - I got this out as a 4/5 more than I expected, and it was pretty good. I used the counter removing ability once.
1x Pouncing Cheetah - Creature - 2G - This was pretty good.
1x Watchful Naga - Creature - 2G - This usually went on a sacrificial attack to draw a card, and it was fine as that.
1x Giant Spider - Creature - 3G - Way better in this environment than I would have ever guessed.
1x Quarry Hauler - Creature - 3G - I once used this to kill a Channeler Initiate. That was nice.
1x Vizier of the Menagerie - Creature - 3G - The first time I used this, I got to flash out Pouncing Cheetah during my opponent's turn. This was a really good card.
1x Greater Sandwurm - Creature - 5GG - I cycled this most of the time, but I did bring it out a few times, and it was good then.
1x Sandwurm Convergence - Enchantment - 6GG - I got this out two times, and though it was slow going, I won both games with my opponent barely able to do anything about it. So yeah, good card.

Multicolored card:
1x Destined // Lead - Instant/Sorcery - 1B / 3G - Destined was alright. There were times I could have cast Lead, including one where it could have let me win the game, but I forgot about it, only to look at it sticking out of my graveyard right after and smack myself.

Lands:
7x Swamp
9x Forest
1x Fetid Pools - I never played this, only cycling it. But that means I didn't need a land then, so that's exactly the purpose.

In retrospect, I should have included Soulstinger, likely swapping out Unburden. There were also mulligans I probably shouldn't have done, acknowledging the slower speed of the format.

Ashodin

1x Vizier of the Menagerie - Creature - 3G - The first time I used this, I got to flash out Pouncing Cheetah during my opponent's turn. This was a really good card.

I can confirm this card is stupid af

You can regularly just cast out your whole turn into like 3 or 4 creatures after you drop him

The Fall 2019 block is Archery-Baseball. People in Wizards were getting confused about the order of blocks, so they've switched to just doing them in alphabetical order, and they no longer follow the "A and B" format.
Hey everyone,

Normally when a set starts in exploratory design, I publicly reveal its codename. I just realized that I have a set in design (and one about to start exploratory design) neither of which you know. I’m going to fix that problem right now.

The set after Milk block is (drum roll)… Archery followed by Baseball. To make things easier internally the new codename naming system is following a single theme (currently sports) alphabetically. That way everyone in the building will know what comes before and after what.

I’ll end with a reminder that there is no correlation between the codenames and the content mechanically of a set.

Archery, by the way, is turning out really cool.

That’s all. Continue with your evening.

The codenames are just such a dumb nerdy thing. It's like coming up with band names for you and your group of friends when none of you play an instrument, but then telling everyone about them constantly on Facebook for some reason.

Maledict

I mean, this is why you don't want to go around making claims you can't support. It's pretty ridiculous to make this big case about how a guy is tilting at windmills trying desperately to make this silly thing happen when there's plain text evidence that he just doesn't care about it that much.

Um, I think you're really acting over the top here mate.

I said that from what I understood and heard from him, it was a big thing. You're now demanding that I reference and check mark everything he says on his podcast so that at some indeterminate point if necessary I can quote back what he says to satisfy you?

I didn't make a big thing - I said it in one post. I'm really not sure why you are so obsessed with arguing over the point, and it's coming across a bit weird to be frank. Normally you're one of the best and most interesting posters in the thread, so not sure why out of everything this one minor thing is winding you up so much. You're setting levels of evidence that are clearly impossible to meet. Are you actually Maro? ;-)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The codenames are just such a dumb nerdy thing. It's like coming up with band names for you and your group of friends when none of you play an instrument, but then telling everyone about them constantly on Facebook for some reason.
"Fall 2019 Set" isn't cool enough.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
And as an Australian, I have no fucking idea when "Fall" is

m4st4

Guys...

giphy.gif

I started following this thread yesterday, nostalgically remembering my early high school days with MTG and now long lost elven deck; ended up deeply immersed in YouTube tutorials until late night and this morning I also downloaded Magic Duels for iOS.

mtg-amonkhet-booster-box.jpg

Now I'm eagerly awaiting Amonkhet bundle to arrive next week! Guys, my body is probably not ready but I want to properly do this thing: both collect & enjoy playing!

Thanks, GAF!

Santiako

Yesterday the Modern MKM Series Milan 2017 happened with 647 making it the largest German Magic: The Gathering tournament since 2012.

Simon Bülhoff with Affinity took it all after 10 rounds and top 8.

Link for decklists, articles and coverage here.

Top 8 was Affinity, Eldrazi Tron, Dredge, Lantern, 2 Death's Shadow Jund, 2 Bring to Light (quite different from each other).

Guys...

https://media.giphy.com/media/rngE31q0PTHbO/giphy.gif[/MG]

I started following this thread yesterday, nostalgically remembering my early high school days with MTG and now long lost elven deck; ended up deeply immersed in YouTube tutorials until late night and this morning I also downloaded [I]Magic Duels[/I] for iOS.

[IMG]http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/69600-large_default/mtg-amonkhet-booster-box.jpg[/MG]
Now I'm eagerly awaiting [I]Amonkhet[/I] bundle to arrive next week! Guys, my body is probably not ready but I want to properly do this thing: [B]both collect & enjoy playing[/B]!

Thanks, GAF![/QUOTE]

Nice to see you in the thread! There's a Standard tournament being streamed right now [URL="https://www.twitch.tv/scgtour"]here[/URL] that we're commenting on, if you're interested.

Stern was being way too conservative with that Glorybringer. Now Thing in the Ice flipped, and he's SOL.

EDIT: Well never mind, he kept an Declaration in Stone in the deck, and was able to turn it around.

Aw man, if W/R Humans is actually viable I might have to play Standard. I have that deck just for shits-and-giggles play against the one person I know who hasn't stopped playing Standard entirely.

DrArchon

Not watching the tournament, but judging from the reactions here, I'm assuming standard is saved for now at least?

I've been thinking about getting back in to standard matches at FNM. I was looking at a Jeskai Control deck, sorta similar to the UR ones cropping up but with Nu-Gideon and Cast Out, plus some sideboard junk. Thoughts?

OnPoint

Not watching the tournament, but judging from the reactions here, I'm assuming standard is saved for now at least?

I've been thinking about getting back in to standard matches at FNM. I was looking at a Jeskai Control deck, sorta similar to the UR ones cropping up but with Nu-Gideon and Cast Out, plus some sideboard junk. Thoughts?
It is in a much better place at least for now :)

Kinda new at irl card magic here. Mostly started with the 2014 game on steam, then moved to origins, and now I play EDH in person mostly at a buddies house. A couple friends and I signed up and played 2 drafts yesterday (with 8 people total in each draft) at a local game store. Don't know how its done elsewhere, but here in each draft it was single elimination, best of 3 rounds, 3 matches overall. Pre-game we sat at tables of 8 as 3 boosters were given to each person. We then opened the boosters and did the 1 card passaround thing to where we were trying to pick cards out for a match deck. Anyways first draft I was trying to go for a white blue comp deck. We were going for a 40 card(minimum) deck.

Here's what I ended up with on the first draft:
(Enchantments)
White:
1x Compulsory Rest 1*(<--card mana cost)
1x Cast Out 3*
1x Gideon's Intervention 2**
(Instants)
White:
1x Impeccable Timing 1*
1x Mighty Leap 1*
1x Forsake the Worldly 2*
Blue:
1x Censor 1*
1x Essence Scatter 1*
1x Galestrike 2*
1x Decision Paralysis 3*
(Sorcery)
Blue:
1x Floodwaters 4**
(Artifacts)
No color:
1x Gate to the Afterlife 3
1x Kefnet's Monument 3
(Creatures)
White:
1x Sacred Cat *
1x Gust Walker 1*
1x Unwavering Initiate 2*
1x Devoted Crop-Mate 2*
2x Sparring Mummy 3*
1x Angel of Sanctions 3**
Blue:
1x Naga Oracle 3*
1x Aven Initiate 3*
1x Angler Drake 4**
(Land)
1x Evolving Wilds
White:
9x Plains
Blue:
7x Islands
(40 cards total)

Matched up against one of my buddies first match. Actually won against him 2-0. Because of Devoted Crop-Mate was able to just throw out Sacred Cat periodically and chip away at damage/gain life until I could get in there with tougher creatures. Kept the round going with those return cards and won because of tapping with Decision Paralysis freeing me up to swing. Second match was against a guy with a green black deck. First round he was drawing nothing but land for a while. I was able to get him down to 1 health but then he ended up with multiple 5/5 tokens and stomped me lol. Lost 2-0 on that one. Had fun overall. Might go back for more boosters. Hope to get shiny hieroglyphic cards.

DrArchon

We won't get a real picture of Standard until the Pro Tour, but yeah, it looks good now.

Diregraf Colossus!

That reminds me, what 3-drops are the zombie decks running? There was already Diregraf Colossus, but Amonkhet added Lord of the Accursed and Plague Belcher, so there's a real glut of quality zombie-tribal three drops.

And is anyone using Liliana's Mastery? 5 mana is a lot, but an anthem that comes with two bodies sounds really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom