• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian surgeon just gave a rat a second head

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemWalls

whoever ends up submitting themselves for this procedure is going to die MISERABLY

Well, if nothing has changed in the last two or so years, the doctor already has a Russian patient (don't think this is the right term), who if I'm not mistaken basically said his life is so terrible that it can only get better for him, and really doesn't care if he'll eventually die.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_cwui0r9k7rsc0k8k8404g80og_640.jpg

Well, if nothing has changed in the last two or so years, the doctor already has a Russian patient (don't think this is the right term), who if I'm not mistaken basically said his life is so terrible that it can only get better for him, and really doesn't care if he'll eventually die.

Not anymore, they're going with a Chinese National. Really its for the best for him. If it works he'll be first in line to get it. If not he can enjoy the time he has left.

Reeks

I'm a little confused... How functional is the transplanted head...?

It's total bullshit. They haven't published shit and use vague language as to how they are supposedly doing this. And as for the doctors who transplanted dog heads and monkey heads: this only appeared to be successful. The animals could not move and died shortly thereafter.

Edit: I was wrong, the have published on this. But it doesn't address the spinal cord. I'll read the full article when I get to work. But it's a shit journal with a very low impact factor.

i mean gene therapy at least has a benefit for people

Though i guess if it can help in transplant surgeries and the like....

You think understanding how to reconnect spines and brains wouldn't help human surgery?? This could even help understand and treat paralysis from broken spinal cords.

This is really unpleasant and is definitely far too cruel to the animals.

Probably something that would be more feasible to consider with far more advanced medical science than we have now. So after the singularity, probably.

What are the practical uses of this? Honest question. Seems rather cruel to me.

Specifically for implanting a second functioning head on an already functioning body? Absolutely none. If he's found a way to repair or bridge damaged spinal neurons and restore innervation to paralyzed limbs that'd be hugely beneficial, but he's only managed to connect vasculature, enough to give blood supply and continue self contained cervical/brain function and no restoration of peripheral muscle control. It's a glorified venous/arterial graft in function and disgustingly sensationalist and counterproductive to real research, not to mention a breach of tons of animal ethics protocol.

MUnited83

For you.
yay good news for the super rich. once they have revolutionary life-saving tech you don't think they are going to give first shot to the poors do you?

exactly. there is already horrible shit. take body trafficking and add in morally ambiguous crazy surgeons like this, put two and two together. without doubt it is going to fall into the wrong hands.

Noh, it's pretty good news for everyone. Do you, like, not understand how this works? More availability of viable organs means good things for everyone that is waiting for one. More organs available means less time to wait. Is this a hard concept or something?

Also plenty of revolutionary tech got cheaper over time and became available to the masses. That you think it will forever be a thing only super rich people can have is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Josh7289

From what I've read of this guy he's a bit of a quack. For example here's an Ars Technica article about him: ”Out of his mind" surgeon plans human head transplant, revival of frozen brain

Specifically for implanting a second functioning head on an already functioning body? Absolutely none. If he's found a way to repair or bridge damaged spinal neurons and restore innervation to paralyzed limbs that'd be hugely beneficial, but he's only managed to connect vasculature, enough to give blood supply and continue self contained cervical/brain function and no restoration of peripheral muscle control. It's a glorified venous/arterial graft in function and disgustingly sensationalist and counterproductive to real research, not to mention a breach of tons of animal ethics protocol.

From his past experiments, my bet is that it's more of the latter.

Imagine all the sort of things would've been tested by now if ethics weren't a thing.

(I'm glad they are a thing)

Josh7289

Isn't this guy setting himself up for a huge lawsuit when the procedure on a human inevitably fails?

If he's really that insane, then maybe he's not thinking about that, or he's completely delusional and thinks he could win that kind of lawsuit.

Syder

If he's really that insane, then maybe he's not thinking about that, or he's completely delusional and thinks he could win that kind of lawsuit.
I assume the patient he's working on is just so desperate to survive they'll try anything and sign away their right to sue or whatever but when things go south let's see how their family reacts to this doctor playing Frankenstein.

Thousands of rats are killed with inducing gene therapy that produces horrific results every year and this is where we draw the line... Okay.

Animal experiments are done in aid of real human medicine, with clearly defined goals building upon a body of previous research. It can be argued that because human head transplants are not considered a viable medical procedure, these experiments are just unethical and ghoulish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom