• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Everyone here is greatly underestimating Lego City Stories. It's going to be brillant, and be a huge killer app for Wii U.

Securing that as an exclusive is basically Nintendo's answer to Grand Theft Auto (for now). If it sells as good as I think it will, that will go a long way to not only securing exclusives, but also winning over developers enough to at least port their multi-platform titles to Wii U.

FreeMufasa

E3 2008 might have been something for a casual gamer, but for a real gamer, E3 2008 shouldn't even be mentioned again ever.

It pretty much killed Cammie Dunaway's job at Nintendo.

I mean, Nintendo publicly apologized for E3 2008.

lol.

I do kind of feel sorry for Animal Crossing Wii. Seemed like it was in quite a few peoples list beforehand as a secondary or third level title. Seeing it become the main course made it subject to a lot of venom.

Might not have been as hated if Nintendo had slipped it in E3 09 or 10.

Anth0ny

So besides WiiU, what other consoles had a terrible debut?

Wii U will probably have New Super Mario Bros Mii, and possibly Pikmin 3, so it won't be too bad.

Wii launching with a Gamecube game wasn't so cool. But it was Zelda. Also, Wii Sports was hella fun in 2006.

I was fine with Luigi's Mansion when Gamecube launched. It also helped that Melee dropped less than a month later.

The 3DS had no redeeming qualities at launch. Looking back, PS3 and 360 had pretty fucking dreadful launches too. I supposed a non-Naughty Dog Uncharted will make some people happy, but Vita's launch lineup isn't impressive at all to me.

E3 2008 might have been something for a casual gamer, but for a real gamer, E3 2008 shouldn't even be mentioned again ever.

It pretty much killed Cammie Dunaway's job at Nintendo.

I mean, Nintendo publicly apologized for E3 2008.

I'm sure the casual gamer was watching the E3 2008 press conference live at their computers.

oh wait, casuals don't give a fuck about games until they see them for the first time on store shelves.

Everyone here is greatly underestimating Lego City Stories. It's going to be brillant, and be a huge killer app for Wii U.

Securing that as an exclusive is basically Nintendo's answer to Grand Theft Auto (for now). If it sells as good as I think it will, that will go a long way to not only securing exclusives, but also winning over developers enough to at least port their multi-platform titles to Wii U.

I agree. As an avid lego lover growing up, I can't wait to play a sandbox lego game. Am I remembering right, wont both the Wii U and 3DS have this title? I would love for them to connect in some way.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I don't think they'll ever be able to do what they did at 06 but they might be able to match what Sony did at E3 05 and wow us with the games. A LOT of people are really anticipating what Nintendo games will look like with at least PS360 level graphics.
I just watched Sony's '05 show. I know they had the industry wrapped around their little finger back then, but how on earth anybody was able to sit through ALL that BS is beyond me. The show was so awkward, poorly flowing, with multiple random Spider-man references, and almost nothing actually game related. No one will ever be able to pull that off again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
E3 2008 fell flat because the only real game on showing was Animal Crossing, and even as big an AC fan as I was (hell, I made the OT), that was definitely not enough.

Pikmin 3 was likely shifted from Wii to WiiU at the early stages of development, and has thus had a lot of time spent on it. Nintendo will have made an effort to vastly improve the graphics and controls for the Wii U.

As for the controls, I reckon they were already pretty good on Wii ports; sure, UPad can provide some nice feature, such as putting the hud and the area's map on the controller's screen, but frankly I'm expecting something much more substantial than just better graphic and enhanced controls.

After such a long iatus this'd better deliver or bust, as far as I'm concerned.

Pociask

I've got a very reliable source who is telling me that the whole Wii U is a front to throw off Microsoft and Sony. He won't say anything else, except for "Virtual On" and "Sadness."

Futureman

I looked this up out of curiousity (don't follow games too closely), but as far as I can tell, it was just announced at E3 with one screenshot.

are people really "underestimating" the title, or is there pretty much zero information out there for people to get excited? Plus it looks like the developer has only worked on pretty exclusively made portable titles up to this point.

wsippel

Banned
I looked this up out of curiousity (don't follow games too closely), but as far as I can tell, it was just announced at E3 with one screenshot.

are people really "underestimating" the title, or is there pretty much zero information out there for people to get excited? Plus it looks like the developer has only worked on pretty exclusively made portable titles up to this point.
The game is made by TT Fusion and produced and supervised by Nintendo. It certainly has tons of potential.

donny2112

Guys my source told me they ported Halo ODST to the Wii U as a test and they had to make the textures blurry and AI dumb cos the Wii U cant handle the same graphics as the Xbox 360 apparently it is a Wii with some shaders I dunno it might be true it might not what do you guys think?

Please don't do this. The thread finally has a chance to leave the early erroneous impressions ("graphics from that trailer aren't as good as PS360!"). I realize you were doing this as a joke, but the Wii U has enough negative perception not based on reality to throw more on top.

WillyFive

Perhaps, but remember that unlike the previous TT LEGO games, this one doesn't have an established outside IP like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, and Batman.

LEGO City Stories is straight up vanilla LEGO. And it's not even one of the strongest LEGO IP's, like Ninja-Go or Bionicle (which ended a bunch of years ago).

cacildo

Do you think they will add a camera? Like a camera that could recognize the Wiimote to make it work like the PSmove?

yeah, i am with the "What??? I want wiimote support!" crowd..

Caelus

Do you think they will add a camera? Like a camera that could recognize the Wiimote to make it work like the PSmove?

Huh? The Wii U has Wiimote support, why would it need a camera on the console?

Bullza2o

Yeah they should at least try to upgrade the Wiimote's usability instead of sticking with Wiimote/+ and IR sensor.

I really hope they put a mic inside the UPad. Voice chat will never be easier.

Caelus

Yeah they should at least try to upgrade the Wiimote's usability instead of sticking with Wiimote/+ and IR sensor.

Is that what he meant? I personally want more for the nunchuk, Wiinunchuk+

I really hope they put a mic inside the UPad. Voice chat will never be easier.

I believe there is.

I think he meant implement a camera (instead sensor bar) for movement tracking, I don't believe it's possible though.

Since I haven't tried PSMove, is there a big difference between it and Wii Motion Plus?

BOOOO!

Now it's clear in my mind we won't hear about Smash Bros. next E3. :(
I'm adopting a wait and see approach for the next Smash Bros. unfortunately. Sakurai is a brilliant man capable of brilliant things; the near perfection of the Melee mechanics could not have been an accident, and Meteos and his other contemporary projects are great. But his decision to deliberately stray from what made Melee such a breakout phenomenon in the first place was extremely unfortunate, and his comments about the next entries following that trend has basically killed my hype.

I was never even a tryhard and I find it hard to enjoy the core gameplay of Brawl. The legendary soundtrack, the added features, characters, and stages are all welcome. But the fast paced and responsive gameplay isn't there anymore, and in the end that's what matters before any of the other stuff.

I'll almost certainly end up buying it but I don't think nearly as many people will be falling into the Dojo hype trap again.

I'll repost my findings from various resumes:

- Ghost Recon Online is called Ghost Recon Online Arcade.
- Lego City Stories may be a launch title.
- Ubisoft Paris is underway with a launch game, previous credits by the employee were the Rabbids games and we know one is on its way, so this must be it.
- An unspecified team at Ubisoft is underway with a Card/Board Game for Wii U.

And it was posted somewhere (I can find it) that THQ is underway with a Wii U/PS3/360/3DS game, and a Wii U-exclusive game.

Edit:

http://wiiu.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/thq_has_two_secret_wii_u_titles_in_the_works

The employee seemingly removed the listings. But I assume Nintendolife saw them directly beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom